Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

NecroBob posted:

Has anyone played through the game without drawing a weapon or attacking any NPCs?

Apparently there are people who can complete the game without inventory or skills. No idea how though. Best I could do was a 100% non-lethal run, and that got tedious fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Underflow posted:

Apparently there are people who can complete the game without inventory or skills. No idea how though. Best I could do was a 100% non-lethal run, and that got tedious fast.

I thought non-lethal was pretty good fun. I seem to remember seeing a clip from a no skills or items run where the guy was using things like gas barrels to attack NPCs, so I don't know if it's possible without at least that step.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I thought non-lethal was pretty good fun. I seem to remember seeing a clip from a no skills or items run where the guy was using things like gas barrels to attack NPCs, so I don't know if it's possible without at least that step.

Yes, saw that one too. That guy does all sorts of impressive stuff. I did like the non-lethal run, but the scarcity of tranq darts in BioMod got on my nerves a bit. Made me want to replay in GEP everything that moves mode immediately after.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Pfft, a ranged non-lethal game? Where's the fun in that!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
My funzone is augmented.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Underflow posted:

Best I could do was a 100% non-lethal run, and that got tedious fast.

Christ, I'm the complete opposite. After I finished my non-lethal run I tried to go back and do a lethal run. So incredibly tedious and just a general feeling of dissatisfaction with every kill. Like there was no more challenge or threat or panic-equipping the pepper spray to hopelessly stun everyone around me before whipping out my baton.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If my play history is accurate, JC Denton is a brutal, murderous psychopath with a particular affinity for jumping off tall things to chop people in the head with a sword. In his free time he enjoys setting pigeons on fire and denying candy to children.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

XausF1 posted:

Christ, I'm the complete opposite. After I finished my non-lethal run I tried to go back and do a lethal run. So incredibly tedious and just a general feeling of dissatisfaction with every kill. Like there was no more challenge or threat or panic-equipping the pepper spray to hopelessly stun everyone around me before whipping out my baton.

(NOTE: This was all using Shifter mod)

See, I did a melee-only non-lethal playthrough and it was pretty challenging. Then I did a Realistic melee-only kill-everything-killable with full augs, and it was a blast. I loved rushing into a room and cutting everything down before anyone knew what happened.

One scene stuck out: the castle with Gunther. Normally pretty tedious, but I had the EMP aug, full speed, full regen, full unarmed, and the Dragon Tooth sword. I did this little figure-8 around the area, and realized that I'd just killed everything on the ground. Sounds strange, but for the first time in a long time, it felt bad rear end, like the augs were finally worth something.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Grand Fromage posted:

If my play history is accurate, JC Denton is a brutal, murderous psychopath with a particular affinity for jumping off tall things to chop people in the head with a sword. In his free time he enjoys setting pigeons on fire and denying candy to children.

My morality is augmented.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

XausF1 posted:

My first play was a stealthy, non-lethal (until I got the dragon's tooth... :black101:) run and now I can't play it any other way. Who the hell goes in guns-blazing? That's so boring!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

XausF1 posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong there; I just realised I haven't played the game since those back-to-back non-lethal/GEPstapo runs. Think I'll install Windows on a partition of my main machine for that Nameless Mod plus the HD texture pack - and Anachronox if possible. Oh, and IW while I'm at it.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Underflow posted:

Anachronox

:stare:

Where can I get that game nowadays?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Revener posted:

:stare:

Where can I get that game nowadays?

I found it at a fleamarket, but Amazon has it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Anachronox should really be sold on GoG, it fits the bill pretty well

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Anachronox should really be sold on GoG, it fits the bill pretty well

It might happen. GOG is announcing a new publisher on June 2nd and it might be SquareEnix, which owns Eidos these days. That would also mean DX on GOG. And maybe Thief!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Cray posted:

It might happen. GOG is announcing a new publisher on June 2nd and it might be SquareEnix, which owns Eidos these days. That would also mean DX on GOG. And maybe Thief!

I'd pay them a hundred bucks if they put up a version of Thief which works on startup. I'd love to replay the games (favorite series ever), but the thought of spending several days just to get them running is not appealing anymore.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, Thief is one of these games than can work flawlessly on a modern system, Win7 and widescreen and all, but it requires some work. Pretty much a perfect match for GOG.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Sam. posted:

My morality is augmented.

My ethics are flexible.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Does anyone find themselves missing the voice acting in Deus Ex? It was all very down to earth and, more important, believable. Even the impossibly dry segments, it just all fit together. I recently played Homefront (in the hope it would actually capture some of the excitement of Red Dawn or World in Conflict (it doesn't)) and it kinda clicked how over-the-top a lot of voice acting is.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Revener posted:

Does anyone find themselves missing the voice acting in Deus Ex? It was all very down to earth and, more important, believable. Even the impossibly dry segments, it just all fit together. I recently played Homefront (in the hope it would actually capture some of the excitement of Red Dawn or World in Conflict (it doesn't)) and it kinda clicked how over-the-top a lot of voice acting is.

That's good writing, not good voice acting. The writing is definitely great (in fact, the writing is what makes Deus Ex the greatest game ever made), but they could have done better with the voice acting.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Sam. posted:

That's good writing, not good voice acting. The writing is definitely great (in fact, the writing is what makes Deus Ex the greatest game ever made), but they could have done better with the voice acting.

The writing certainly didn't hurt, but I really do mean the voice acting.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Is there a good editor or way to modify save files for the original Deus Ex? I'm doing another playthrough and kind of want to mess with stuff like augs and inventory. Or is the best way to just use some console cheats? Google wasn't very helpful regarding save editors.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can add any aug/skillpoint/weapon/item you want using the console.
See here and here.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The voice acting was alright at the start and just kind of steadily declined in quality the further you went from New York. I think the main reason it didn't detract from gameplay was that all the voices you heard the most were well done, or at least not distractingly bad. Bob Page and Simons were pretty good, and Jacobson's voice still has an automatic calming effect on me

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Cicadalek posted:

The voice acting was alright at the start and just kind of steadily declined in quality the further you went from New York. I think the main reason it didn't detract from gameplay was that all the voices you heard the most were well done, or at least not distractingly bad. Bob Page and Simons were pretty good, and Jacobson's voice still has an automatic calming effect on me

I'm not counting the "Hello I am a Chinese Guy in Chinese City. Goodbye." voices. :colbert: I still think those are a meta-joke.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cray posted:

Yeah, Thief is one of these games than can work flawlessly on a modern system, Win7 and widescreen and all, but it requires some work. Pretty much a perfect match for GOG.

Is Thief really that hard to get working? Last time all I had to do was set processor affinity to one core and it worked just fine. No widescreen support, but no problems either.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Revener posted:

I'm not counting the "Hello I am a Chinese Guy in Chinese City. Goodbye." voices. :colbert: I still think those are a meta-joke.

"Mistah JC Denton, in da fresh"

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sam. posted:

I choose to believe that Deus Ex got all the voices and accents completely right and it is the real world that does it wrong.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The only things that cheer me up about the gritty future will be the comical Australian club girls and the not-quite South African-sounding class warrior/bartender.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Cicadalek posted:

I found the Morpheus voice the most calming. Which is weird because I think it was the same actor as Walton Simons who, since I've heard him again recently, sounds like an amateur.

Sam. posted:

From the Human Revolution thread:

:aaa:

Poppleganger fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 2, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

FlyingCheese posted:

I'm using the steam version + Shifter and the Deus Ex "Fixer" posted in the OP.

And, well, I can't get on the boat, you know the one. Any ideas?

Reposting this. I would really like to replay the Deus Ex (probably 7-8th time). I guess I could go back to running it natively without the Fixer but it seems to work for everyone else. I don't know what's wrong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Poppleganger posted:

I found the Morpheus voice the most calming. Which is weird because I think it was the same actor as Walton Simons who, since I've heard him again recently, sounds like an amateur.

That would be Tom Hall, co-founder of Ion Storm. A professional voice actor he ain't.

quote:

what

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wait, is that what DX3 is actually going to look like

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wait, is that what DX3 is actually going to look like

A preview build leaked, while being insanely optimized the graphics probably aren't as good as the final product will be.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Is Thief really that hard to get working? Last time all I had to do was set processor affinity to one core and it worked just fine. No widescreen support, but no problems either.

On XP the processor affinity was also the only thing I had to do, but on Win7 the graphics would glitch out/look muddy and the videos would not play unless I used fan-made fixes. It's not "hard" if you're at all computer literate, but it requires a bit of effort.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Poppleganger posted:

Well, sheeyit! Really hope das nah a main charaicta!
I hate when games attempt to give a character personality in their voice or appearance instead of having interesting things to say.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized that you can use cigarettes as basically a single shot peppergun. This goddamn game.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
TIL that there are people in the world who thought the voice acting in DX was anything but borderline terrible.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Stuntman posted:

I just realized that you can use cigarettes as basically a single shot peppergun. This goddamn game.

Are you serious? I thought it just hurt your health a bit. This, plus zyme-induced bullettime, and I'm going to incapacitate a room of guys by running around and smoking in their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Dr_Fever posted:

TIL that there are people in the world who thought the voice acting in DX was anything but borderline terrible.
The voice acting is just one of many reasons to love Deus Ex