Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be traveling from Japan to China for in June. My Japanese passport expires a month after I get back to Japan from China. Are they going give me a hard time for using a passport that expires on in July?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

feedmyleg posted:

With one of these electric toothbrushes, do I just brush normally or do I move it slowly and "buff" the teeth?

I would assume the latter normally, but it's got the back half that's non-moving and looks like half of a regular toothbrush.

Brush normally - the motors on those things aren't strong enough to do the work of brushing your teeth for you.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

feedmyleg posted:

With one of these electric toothbrushes, do I just brush normally or do I move it slowly and "buff" the teeth?

I would assume the latter normally, but it's got the back half that's non-moving and looks like half of a regular toothbrush.

Just general tooth brushing advice, but don't just brush your teeth, brush your gums too. It's not just about removing things that have built up on your teeth, but about massaging your gums so they stay healthy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I've got a similar model toothbrush, and I've found the best results to be somewhere in the middle. Brush normally, but a bit slower, and with more circular motion than side-to-side.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Busy Bee posted:

I will be traveling from Japan to China for in June. My Japanese passport expires a month after I get back to Japan from China. Are they going give me a hard time for using a passport that expires on in July?

Yes.

http://china.travisa.com/VisaInstructions.aspx?CountryID=CN&

quote:

Passport Requirements: Original passport and one photocopy of information page. The passport must be signed, valid for 6 months beyond stay in China and with at least one blank visa page available for the Chinese visa. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for China visa stamps.

I think you'd better get a new passport before you apply for your China visa

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a country that'll be happy with a passport with less than six months left on it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How can I get the most value out of gold and silver coins?

I have a sizable collection that I'm considering liquidating for a major investment, but it seems almost impossible to get an idea of how much they're worth or where I should go to sell them thanks to the amount of "SELL GOLD HERE!" spam out there.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Kestral posted:

I have a sizable collection that I'm considering liquidating for a major investment, but it seems almost impossible to get an idea of how much they're worth or where I should go to sell them thanks to the amount of "SELL GOLD HERE!" spam out there.

I'd avoid selling them for their gold and silver value if I were you. I inherited a collection once and also needed the cash, so I had it appraised by 3 unrelated collectors. Each estimation was far above precious metals slingers' offers. There should be a few (advertising) numismatics in every major town. There too, avoid the ones with gaudy ads that trigger the 'instant cash!' reflex.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kestral posted:

I had some gold coins I was looking to sell last year and took about 6 months to get a really good feel for the landscape. It seems like what you can get out of them depends whether you're willing to sell them online or if you want to do it in person. Looking at finished eBay auctions gets you a pretty good idea of what they're worth to the right collector, but (in my very inexpert observations) you'll have to knock about 20% off of that if you want to sell them to even a non-scammy shop. And there will be plenty of places that try to scam you - if someone tells you how much your coins are worth by their weight in gold without factoring in the collectability of the coins, just don't deal with them - I got offered $1,200 at multiple places for coin sets that were selling for $3,000+ on eBay. I say try to find real collectors or actual coin shops (not pawn shops) in your area first, and if that doesn't work start looking online.

If you do want to sell online, really study auctions for similar coins to see why they were successful vs. auctions that went for far lower. If you don't have an account that already has a solid feedback history, try to find someone you know who does and go through their account, as collectors seem to take that into consideration.

I got lucky and found a good collector in my area, but it did take me longer than I had wanted.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 1, 2011

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
This HuffPost article quotes Eric Shmidt

quote:

Though Google may not be releasing products with facial recognition capabilities, Schmidt acknowledged that the open nature of Google's Android and Chrome platforms could enable third parties to develop and distribute this technology.

"There are plenty of apps I don't like that are still legal,"
he noted.

What app could this possibly be related to?
I could understand rooted apps, but what general ones?
Assuming Google allows them for use on their products they probably are not as bad as he makes them out to be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TetsuoTW posted:

Yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a country that'll be happy with a passport with less than six months left on it.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what sense does it make to have a hard expiry on a passport if countries will get more and more qualitatively uneasy as the expiration comes up? Wouldn't it make more sense if it were honored right up until the end? I can't see how having extra time left on the passport would prevent any of the possible immigration / illegal-stay issues that might arise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ridonkulous posted:

Assuming Google allows them for use on their products they probably are not as bad as he makes them out to be.

I couldn't name any specific ones, but there are plenty of apps which are perfectly legal and rule-abiding but by being lovely thrown together garbage give Android a bad user experience and reputation just by existing. There are also apps whose main purpose is stupid no matter how polished they are, like the fart soundboards that infested iOS a few years ago. An app doesn't have to be illegal or directly countering Google's interests to be something he'd rather not have show up under his banner in the marketplace. In this specific situation, he seems to mean an app which is legal by the laws of its country of origin but offensive from a human rights perspective. He's decided it's not Google's place to be a moral guardian.

It's an unavoidable tradeoff of welcoming all comers. Anyone who didn't break an explicit rule in the fine print gets to stay and post their poo poo, and just because Schmidt is committed to an open platform doesn't mean he personally likes their work.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 1, 2011

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

haveblue posted:

I couldn't name any specific ones, but there are plenty of apps which are perfectly legal and rule-abiding but by being lovely thrown together garbage give Android a bad user experience and reputation just by existing. There are also apps whose main purpose is stupid no matter how polished they are, like the fart soundboards that infested iOS a few years ago. An app doesn't have to be illegal or directly countering Google's interests to be something he'd rather not have show up under his banner in the marketplace. In this specific situation, he seems to mean an app which is legal by the laws of its country of origin but offensive from a human rights perspective. He's decided it's not Google's place to be a moral guardian.

It's an unavoidable tradeoff of welcoming all comers. Anyone who didn't break an explicit rule in the fine print gets to stay and post their poo poo, and just because Schmidt is committed to an open platform doesn't mean he personally likes their work.

I understand his possible view point on low/poor quality items on his/their OS, but based on the article I thought he was directly implying their are Apps he would lump with facial recognition as being possibly detrimental to society (or at least "the common good"). Maybe I misread what he was intending.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what sense does it make to have a hard expiry on a passport if countries will get more and more qualitatively uneasy as the expiration comes up? Wouldn't it make more sense if it were honored right up until the end? I can't see how having extra time left on the passport would prevent any of the possible immigration / illegal-stay issues that might arise.

This is what I was thinking. Also, since I have a Japanese passport I am eligible to stay in China for 15 days without having to apply for a Visa. Would they really turn me around just because my passport expires in a month?

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
I work part-time in the UK. I'm contracted to work 21 hours of the week and my agreed - but not in the contract - days of work are Mon, Tue, Wed. This week had a bank holiday Monday and here we are on Wednesday. My line manager stated that I should work on Thursday this week because I haven't done 21 hours but I argued that my usual working Monday fell on the bank holiday and so I shouldn'd have to.

Who's right? I mean, what if I had another job that was Thursday/Friday?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

This is what I was thinking. Also, since I have a Japanese passport I am eligible to stay in China for 15 days without having to apply for a Visa. Would they really turn me around just because my passport expires in a month?
I don't know about the reasoning behind the six-month thing (I guess it lets you get home, but not anywhere else really?), but in my experience the PRC are huge bureaucratic douchebags about letting people into and out of their country. It would not surprise me in the least if they just told you at the airport to go the hell back to Japan, visa-free entry or not. Ultimately I guess to be safe you should probably talk to the Chinese embassy.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 1, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Egg Poacher posted:

I work part-time in the UK. I'm contracted to work 21 hours of the week and my agreed - but not in the contract - days of work are Mon, Tue, Wed. This week had a bank holiday Monday and here we are on Wednesday. My line manager stated that I should work on Thursday this week because I haven't done 21 hours but I argued that my usual working Monday fell on the bank holiday and so I shouldn'd have to.

Who's right? I mean, what if I had another job that was Thursday/Friday?

You're both kind of right, but why don't you want the hours? 'I shouldn't have to' makes it sound like you're working against your will, but presumably you do need 21 hours' worth of money?

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallard posted:

You're both kind of right, but why don't you want the hours? 'I shouldn't have to' makes it sound like you're working against your will, but presumably you do need 21 hours' worth of money?

Despite being part-time, I'm paid a salary, not a wage. There is also no overtime, but instead flexi-time whereby I get TOIL (time off in lieu of overtime).

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ridonkulous posted:

I understand his possible view point on low/poor quality items on his/their OS, but based on the article I thought he was directly implying their are Apps he would lump with facial recognition as being possibly detrimental to society (or at least "the common good"). Maybe I misread what he was intending.

I presumed creepy poo poo like a Google Goggles app where you could snap a picture of a stranger in the street and be given an image search result of that person or similar...

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Really? Did they upgrade Google Goggles significantly in the past couple of months? When I was loving around with it, it wouldn't even give me any hits on the logo for the multinational corporation I work for.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Egg Poacher posted:

Despite being part-time, I'm paid a salary, not a wage. There is also no overtime, but instead flexi-time whereby I get TOIL (time off in lieu of overtime).

Does your contract say anything specific about public holidays? Generally, casual employees never get paid for public holidays, but instead get paid a relatively higher wage. So, unless your contract explicitly states that you will be compensated for public holidays, you're not entitled to that pay. However that also means you don't have to work an extra day if you don't have to. I'd check with your company's HR dept/person if I were you.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Tell me the best way to just straight up learn Italian efficiently and quickly. Thanks to all responses, I've heard of some really cool resources out there, but they're all escaping my memory.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
I need help on an interview question. I work primarily by myself in a retail environment (receiving dept.), and am having a hard time with this question.
"Tell me about a time you had a disagreement at work, and what did you do?"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

I need help on an interview question. I work primarily by myself in a retail environment (receiving dept.), and am having a hard time with this question.
"Tell me about a time you had a disagreement at work, and what did you do?"

Think up a time(anytime) you had a disagreement and then remove whatever the real ended up being and replace it with how via problem-solving and communication you came to a mutually beneficial outcome.

(Every time I hear that question I want to walk out of the interview, or ask in the end of interview questions: "Tell me about a time you had to do interviews and took the time to create original and engaging questions for the candidates")

For a much better answer look around here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Redkist posted:

Tell me the best way to just straight up learn Italian efficiently and quickly. Thanks to all responses, I've heard of some really cool resources out there, but they're all escaping my memory.

Are you asking for the name of a specific course?

Total immersion is the best way.
Next comes, "The basics via books and tapes, and then actual conversations with an actual Italian-speaking person." Reinforce this by watching Italian movies, reading Italian websites, etc. Practice, practice, practice.

Worst way is to sit there and memorize phrases out of a phrase book. That's not "speaking Italian", that's "memorizing stock phrases".

So any course you can find that is the closest to "total immersion", usually by learning the basics in a classroom or with a book and a tape, and then having actual conversations in the language, is what you want.

If you are a business traveler needing a smattering of Italian right away for a trip, your best bet is one of those "Italian for businessmen" courses, because they will skip over the time-consuming esoteric things like the subjunctive tense and just give you the basics you need for your trip.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Rosetta stone is good for "memorizing" stuff. I wouldn't call it learning though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I want to become a house sitter. The internet is full of sketchy looking websites for house sitting services. Does anyone have any experience as a house sitter or can point me to a reputable website?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Once in a while during an active text convo my phone will decide the other person is texting from the future. at 3pm I got a response that is timestamped for 930pm tonight. Another one came that way when she responded to me again. My texts show the right time and hers went back to the right time, but those two texts show as the most recent with the 930 (and 934) timestamp.

Why does that happen? Are my friends time travellers? :ohdear:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2011

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

elbow posted:

Does your contract say anything specific about public holidays? Generally, casual employees never get paid for public holidays, but instead get paid a relatively higher wage. So, unless your contract explicitly states that you will be compensated for public holidays, you're not entitled to that pay. However that also means you don't have to work an extra day if you don't have to. I'd check with your company's HR dept/person if I were you.

Well the contract simply states that bank and public holidays are additional to my 25 days (pro rata) annual leave. Which obviously means I get the day off whilst paid as normal.

My issue is them moving the goal posts just because a bank holiday cropped up. I've done it in the past and I didn't mind (I enjoy my job) but on this occasion I had planned to be away for something important and so when it became an issue it felt like a bit of a cheek to be challenged about it (especially the day before).

I'll check with HR if it escalates; I was just curious whether I had a valid point. I mean, if I had another job on Thurs/Fri what would they do then?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Just say it's not going to be possible this time and if they are going to need you on one of your off days in the future, you'll need a little bit more advanced notice.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Egg Poacher posted:

Well the contract simply states that bank and public holidays are additional to my 25 days (pro rata) annual leave. Which obviously means I get the day off whilst paid as normal.

My issue is them moving the goal posts just because a bank holiday cropped up. I've done it in the past and I didn't mind (I enjoy my job) but on this occasion I had planned to be away for something important and so when it became an issue it felt like a bit of a cheek to be challenged about it (especially the day before).

I'll check with HR if it escalates; I was just curious whether I had a valid point. I mean, if I had another job on Thurs/Fri what would they do then?

From what your contract states it sounds like they have no ground whatsoever to ask you to come in on Thursday. If you get paid leave on public holidays it is because normally you would work that day, but because it is a public holiday, you don't. And if you would normally work that day then you wouldn't be working on Thursday, therefore they can't ask you to work Thursday now.

If you do end up working on Thursday they'd have to pay you overtime (or give you time in lieu).

Also what Eyeball said.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ridonkulous posted:

He's probably referring to the DUI checkpoint apps that some senators have been asking Google and Apple to pull down last week. Google has come out and specifically said they won't remove the apps since they rely on public information and no laws have been broken.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Eyeball posted:

Just say it's not going to be possible this time and if they are going to need you on one of your off days in the future, you'll need a little bit more advanced notice.

Oh I did.

The point of contention was then being told that I ought to work despite it not being one of my agreed days because I 'need to give 21 hours a week' and my response being 'my Monday fell on a bank holiday, tough poo poo' (or something a little more polite) and subsequently being told that not coming in would require booking the time off under annual leave.

Which I think is bullshit. It's not as if someone working five days must make up hours 'lost' on a bank/public holiday. Its just a pity if its perceived as me not being a 'team player' or 'bootstrappy' enough or whatever else crap people come up with.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

FCKGW posted:

He's probably referring to the DUI checkpoint apps that some senators have been asking Google and Apple to pull down last week. Google has come out and specifically said they won't remove the apps since they rely on public information and no laws have been broken.

Ohh, hahaha, now that's awesome.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

2508084 posted:

Once in a while during an active text convo my phone will decide the other person is texting from the future. at 3pm I got a response that is timestamped for 930pm tonight. Another one came that way when she responded to me again. My texts show the right time and hers went back to the right time, but those two texts show as the most recent with the 930 (and 934) timestamp.

Why does that happen? Are my friends time travellers? :ohdear:

Whenever I get texts from China (I'm in Denmark), they'll appear to be in the future. I guess the sender makes the timestamp, relative to whatever timezone the phones believes itself to be in. Perhaps your friends hosed up their clocks or something. Or they are Nigerian scammers.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Redkist posted:

If there's no Michel Thomas edition for Italian, try Assimil. Good friend got the basics and then some together in a few months, with minor help on pronunciation and tips re. real life spoken language vs out of date bookishness. Don't take classes unless they're 1:1.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Underflow posted:

Don't take classes unless they're 1:1.
Obviously classes are better if they're smaller, but overall taking a class - at least at beginner level - is probably the second best way to learn any language behind immersion. Do some research before choosing a class, though, because a lovely class will definitely be lovely.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

TetsuoTW posted:

Obviously classes are better if they're smaller, but overall taking a class - at least at beginner level - is probably the second best way to learn any language behind immersion. Do some research before choosing a class, though, because a lovely class will definitely be lovely.

Perhaps if all students in a class are on the same level of motivation and aptitude.

I've taught classes in 5 languages and always felt bad about taking the money. Out of ~15 people only 1 or 2 get something out of it thanks to natural aptitude or w/e, even though they're held up by the 3 or 4 who just keep asking questions before letting things sink in. The others just sit there and with a little luck absorb enough to order a Martini next time they're in enemy country.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Underflow posted:

Perhaps if all students in a class are on the same level of motivation and aptitude.
Fair enough. I've just found that, as a student of various languages both self-taught and formally studied, the formal structure of a class helps keep you focused on the task; if you're self-studying, there's too much temptation to just slack off, and having set classes at set times does a good amount to reduce that. And if you're starting from zero a class will make sure you get the absolute basics down correctly. Once you've got the fundamentals - pronunciation, basic grammar, elementary vocab - down, you can probably go from there independently with relatively little trouble if you're sufficiently motivated.

e: VVV Yeah, there's a good chance I struck it lucky with my classes, and that would've been helped by the high rate of attrition in a lot of them. I just don't think classes should be written off wholesale - at the very least, even if the class sucks total rear end, you can still talk to the teacher and see if they've got any suggestions.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

TetsuoTW posted:

Fair enough. I've just found that, as a student of various languages both self-taught and formally studied, the formal structure of a class helps keep you focused on the task; if you're self-studying, there's too much temptation to just slack off, and having set classes at set times does a good amount to reduce that. And if you're starting from zero a class will make sure you get the absolute basics down correctly. Once you've got the fundamentals - pronunciation, basic grammar, elementary vocab - down, you can probably go from there independently with relatively little trouble if you're sufficiently motivated.

Yeah, but your POV may be coloured by the fact that you have a particularly high aptitude and motivational level since you went through the mill several times for additional languages; and I suspect at least in part just because you could.

Let's just say that if the teacher paces well, fellow students aren't just there 'cause some HR dept. sent them, and the study material is interesting, classes can be a good (and amusing) thing indeed.