Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

There's demo videos on youtube if you hunt around.. it looks like you can skate as if it were ice, though I have no idea how it "feels".

Apparently you can even hockey stop on the stuff, which amazes me.

How does synthetic ice get cleaned off so that there's not ruts all through it for eternity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
They had synthetic ice at the mall in San Diego and just looked a lot like roller hockey tiles but the stuff I have seen for hockey looks a lot different.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

There's demo videos on youtube if you hunt around.. it looks like you can skate as if it were ice, though I have no idea how it "feels".

Apparently you can even hockey stop on the stuff, which amazes me.
It "feels" a little bit slow and you definitely work hard at it.

It also gets shavings all over all of your poo poo, and it deson't just melt and disappear.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

coldwind posted:

It "feels" a little bit slow and you definitely work hard at it.

It also gets shavings all over all of your poo poo, and it deson't just melt and disappear.
Also attempting to play goalie and do a cross-crease slide of any sort is damned near impossible.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line?

My understanding is that the later is cheap and abundant north of the Mason-Dixon line in the Winter months.

--

So my team won the championship on Sunday. I was the only one who wasn't there due to a BBQ commitment. There's a pic of my sub looking all :smug:

e: Also, completely unrelated but since the cup is on right now...it makes me sad as hell that they're all "Watch game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals to see some feel-good story about this kid who gets to hang out with the Stanley Cup for a day." How about "Watch game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals to find out who wins game 2 of the damned Stanley Cup finals."

:smith:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 2, 2011

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ya'll don't even know how excited I am that not only I found a pair of these, but that they're on the way to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
:love: eagle gloves. love them. so much.

No breaking in the gloves, palms so soft. LOVE!

I have bright effing pink ones

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

shyguy posted:

Ya'll don't even know how excited I am that not only I found a pair of these, but that they're on the way to me.

I just sold a pair of those!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyguy posted:

I want these, but instead of tan, Boston Bruin yellow. This is agonizing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

I do, I have the H34s which are the same tan color, just with no black accents. Just all tan.

The best.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was actually crossing my fingers hoping to find a pair of H34's on Ebay or something but no dice. I'll definitely take these though.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
If you guys were ordering jersey.. what material would you go with?

Whatever this stuff is called:

or pro-mesh

If we went with A it would probably mean getting one jersey where pro mesh we would get two.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
For my money, the nicer material is worth it. Especially if you get white, the thin, screen-printed mesh stuff gets ratty, browned, and nasty pretty quickly. Plus, there's something aesthetically pleasing about pulling on a well-made sweater.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate the pro-mesh stuff. It's cheaper for a reason.. it looks a bit scuzzy. It doesn't age well at all either, when the colors fade it looks permanently dirty, rather than just worn out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would go for the nicer, not mesh version, myself.

More videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZ1j5yEOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzI1VjtC-Q

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Lawnie posted:

More videos!

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.

Bend your knees more, and you need to transfer your weight more as well, I think you're relying too much on your arms for your power.

You really need to lean into the shot.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

Bend your knees more, and you need to transfer your weight more as well, I think you're relying too much on your arms for your power.

You really need to lean into the shot.

All of this. You definitely have more power in the second video but you need more weight/anger behind it meaning listen to Iron Maiden

And shooting the puck into the goalies glove ever shot is not the best approach to goal scoring, try to tuck it under that crossbar, this should come along naturally with more leg power.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

More videos!

Yes. Your hands need to lead your stick through the shot. Without fixing this, you will NEVER get a good shot.

Notice how you start with the stick straight up and down. Also, notice how as soon as you start the motion of your shot, your bottom hand is coming up and around already. If you're doing this, you won't ever get to a point where you can incorporate flexing your stick into your shot, and this will rob of you almost all your power and NOTHING you can do will make up for it.

Try this: When you set up to shoot, stand up closer to the middle of the board. Position the puck so that it's behind your back foot. Now, set your stick up how you'd start to shoot. You'll notice that your stick is going to go back behind you and the blade should be facing down into the ground. It should a little bit like the stick is anchored at the heel behind the puck, and tilted towards the net. ALL quality shots in hockey will have the stick in this position at some point during the shot, and how you get it there is what makes the shots different. THIS is the position that will help you leverage your weight transfer/anger/leaning/whatever.

Now, you should notice that from this position, if you push down with your bottom hand, your stick will flex. Got it? Cool. NOW shoot.

If you're still having problems, then try focusing on keeping your hands out in front of your stick and your blade pointed down into the ground for as long as possible during your shot. It may seem awkward, but contort your body however you need to do this. With enough practice, you may get the motion smoother and less awkward for you body, but the fundamentals should stay the same.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 3, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Yes. Your hands need to lead your stick through the shot. Without fixing this, you will NEVER get a good shot.

Notice how you start with the stick straight up and down. Also, notice how as soon as you start the motion of your shot, your bottom hand is coming up and around already. If you're doing this, you won't ever get to a point where you can incorporate flexing your stick into your shot, and this will rob of you almost all your power and NOTHING you can do will make up for it.

Try this: When you set up to shoot, stand up closer to the middle of the board. Position the puck so that it's behind your back foot. Now, set your stick up how you'd start to shoot. You'll notice that your stick is going to go back behind you and the blade should be facing down into the ground. It should a little bit like the stick is anchored at the heel behind the puck, and tilted towards the net. ALL quality shots in hockey will have the stick in this position at some point during the shot, and how you get it there is what makes the shots different. THIS is the position that will help you leverage your weight transfer/anger/leaning/whatever.

Now, you should notice that from this position, if you push down with your bottom hand, your stick will flex. Got it? Cool. NOW shoot.

If you're still having problems, then try focusing on keeping your hands out in front of your stick and your blade pointed down into the ground for as long as possible during your shot. It may seem awkward, but contort your body however you need to do this. With enough practice, you may get the motion smoother and less awkward for you body, but the fundamentals should stay the same.

And here I thought that the only thing I was doing much better was keeping the stick blade pointed downwards. Oh well, I'll be back out there tomorrow.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Lawnie posted:

And here I thought that the only thing I was doing much better was keeping the stick blade pointed downwards. Oh well, I'll be back out there tomorrow.

Another drill to do to really familiarize yourself with your stick and learn hand positioning is to take all of you pucks and shoot them from the toes of your blade, then the center of your blade, then the heel of your blade. Shooting off the toe should allow you to gauge you power, shooting off the heel correctly can elevate a puck accurately. I wish I had some synthetic ice and a goal in my yard, I just use inline skates in my garage with a stress ball (tennis balls tend to break lights). Keep up the progress.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

It's very possible, but it didn't really have the intended effect. My bad. That tip is not the magic bullet I thought it was going to be. I think it's kind of hard to interpret. :(

I am actually really interested in your shot development. My N/E team has probably 5-6 players who have the same flaw. They can't elevate it, though. I could always tell something was off, but I couldn't tell what and I wasn't sure how to fix it. I think watching your video gave me a similar vibe and has really helped me to figure out what it is that experienced shooters are doing that is so different from beginners.

I hope you don't feel too bad about me laying into your shot mechanics. A lot of people seem to have that kind of shot. My younger brother did once, and I spent almost two hours trying to fix it in the garage. It worked, but it was a lot of work and there has to be an easier way. Also, it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I told him.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite impressed that you managed to lift it, it's quite the feat.

Good luck, man, make sure you take video tomorrow, I want to see it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

It's very possible, but it didn't really have the intended effect. My bad. That tip is not the magic bullet I thought it was going to be. I think it's kind of hard to interpret. :(

I am actually really interested in your shot development. My N/E team has probably 5-6 players who have the same flaw. They can't elevate it, though. I could always tell something was off, but I couldn't tell what and I wasn't sure how to fix it. I think watching your video gave me a similar vibe and has really helped me to figure out what it is that experienced shooters are doing that is so different from beginners.

I hope you don't feel too bad about me laying into your shot mechanics. A lot of people seem to have that kind of shot. My younger brother did once, and I spent almost two hours trying to fix it in the garage. It worked, but it was a lot of work and there has to be an easier way. Also, it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I told him.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite impressed that you managed to lift it, it's quite the feat.

Good luck, man, make sure you take video tomorrow, I want to see it.

I absolutely will tomorrow. I take video of every shot I take each day and only post some of it, though. that way I can look back on "film" and see what I can improve upon.

And I'd really prefer for you to lay into my mechanics. I never got to play hockey as a kid, and I probably would have gotten the same treatment from a coach as from you. If only I wasn't taking advice from a wings fan...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haters gonna hate. That video is already much better than your first one.

Next up: Focus on loading that stick -> start with the puck farther back. Shooting from mid-stance is going to dramatically curtail your power.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lawnie posted:

More videos!

Two things:

First, use your wrists more to propel the puck and follow through with your shot. Basically, your left wrist should 'flip over' and point the blade of the stick toward the net. From the looks of it, you have the right idea--you have the puck start at the heel and move forward along the blade, but you stop and your blade stays angled backward. This is why the puck sort of wobbles, has little (or no) spin to it, and doesn't always "take off" at the toe of the blade. Obviously, the puck should stay parallel to the ground and spin or "saucer".

Not the greatest of angles, but his blade is pointing toward the net. If you had the blade flat on the ice through the entire shot, it would move 90 degrees at least. Think of it like flicking the puck, I guess!

Second, pull the puck further in back of you before you shoot, putting your weight on your left foot then transferring it to your right as you shoot. This is what gives you power, and while it's not important at your stage to focus on power, it's important because it teaches proper form.

Hopefully that made sense.

Gio fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 3, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gio posted:

Two things:

First, use your wrists more to propel the puck and follow through with your shot. Basically, your left wrist should 'flip over' and point the blade of the stick toward the net. From the looks of it, you have the right idea--you have the puck start at the heel and move forward along the blade, but you stop and your blade stays angled backward. This is why the puck sort of wobbles, has little (or no) spin to it, and doesn't always "take off" at the toe of the blade. Obviously, the puck should stay parallel to the ground and spin or "saucer".

Not the greatest of angles, but his blade is pointing toward the net. If you had the blade flat on the ice through the entire shot, it would move 90 degrees at least. Think of it like flicking the puck, I guess!

Second, pull the puck further in back of you before you shoot, putting your weight on your left foot then transferring it to your right as you shoot. This is what gives you power, and while it's not important at your stage to focus on power, it's important because it teaches proper form.

Hopefully that made sense.

Little tips are the most helpful things right now. That way when I go out tomorrow I can just look at this thread and be like, "okay, blade down, hands in front, weight on back leg, shift weight, turn over wrist, hopefully suck less every time out"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Actually, to rephrase a bit, both wrists will turn as you point the blade toward the net. I'm dumb. :downs:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Gio posted:

This is the MOST important because getting proper form is key. Without proper form, none of the other tips will affect his shot significantly. Carts, horses, etc.

If you watch the video slowly (hold space or download the video), you'll see that he's opening up his wrists early in his shot so that he can get the blade under the puck. That's how he's lifting it. If he starts turning his wrists over before fixing his form, the puck might go a bit faster, but it's not going to come off the ground (very well). The puck isn't wobbling because he isn't turning his wrists; they're wobbling because he's slicing them. Once you get proper form, turning your wrists over will feel more natural, and there will be a noticeable increase in shot velocity without affecting the rest of your shot. Without proper form, there might be speed increases, but you'll still be frustrated because the puck isn't picking up like it used to.

Lawnie, watch this video. Pay attention to his stick placement and how he drags the puck forward with his hands in front. Notice how far his hands get in front of his body before he starts releasing the puck.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thats kinda what I was getting at, just phased a bit better. Nonetheless, follow through--turning your wrists and pointing the blade toward the net--is important because it propels the puck off the blade, causing the puck to saucer and giving it accuracy as well. You're essentially "flicking" the puck--guiding the puck from heel to toe then "flicking" the puck off the toe by turning your wrists and following through ("flick of the wrist"). From what I can tell, he's slicing it because--like you said--he's ooening his blade and getting underneath. Which is good, because to flick or propel the puck he needs to open the blade--he just needs to "close" it.

Its really hard to describe in words. Youtube prolly does a lot more in showing than I ever could.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Hey, Lawnie, now you're taking hints from TWO Red Wings fans. Suck it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Not gonna lie, I thought the last four posts were from the same person until I looked more closely.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Lawnie posted:

More videos!

Heres from a Hawks fan if it makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUu28w04Gw

First off, I think its tricky to see what you're doing right/wrong without a better camera angle, try getting it
looking straight at you and zoom out a little, we should be seeing at least neck down.

As for your shot, the biggest red flag is that your back foot keeps lifting up which implies to me that you are doing 2 things wrong. 1 - You are trying to shoot too hard, and 2- you are losing your balance. Its the hockey equivalent of a batter spinning around after a swing. Your feet should be solidly planted on the ground. You might be seeing a lot of pros shooting off one foot but wont help you until you can develop your basics first. Make sure your weight is centered between both feet (maybe slightly over the back foot). As the puck passes in front of your body, your weight should transfer to your front foot while still keeping weight on your back since its still applying force to the shot. Some transfer the weight with the movement of the puck and some just slightly before. It depends on your stick flex and pre-load preferences.

I think it would be beneficial to you to try slowing the whole process down. Dont worry about how hard your shot is because you still need to work on the motions before applying force to the shot.

Next, it doesnt appear to me that you are pulling the shot from your back foot to your front foot before really trying to get the shot off. I can only speak for myself but a wrist shot isnt consistent in speed from start to finish. It starts slow as you pull the puck and then like a sling shot or bow& arrow, it releases when the puck lifts off the ground as you turn your wrists.

I know you live in or around Chicago so if you ever want to meet up (in chicago since I dont drive) we can work on your shot. Since I dont own a car you dont have to worry about ending up in the trunk. I play inline up at north avenue beach during the summer and rat at Johnnys on the weekends.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Another Hawks fan weighing in.

Hard to tell from those videos, because of the camera angle, but pay attention to how your top hand is moving. Right now it appears as though it's traveling forward for most of the shot. To get the right motion, your top hand should stay close to your body, finishing next to the side of your ribcage. This will move the stick's axis of rotation down, and get more of a snap on the shot.

This seems to be what's causing the puck-scooping coldwind observed, which is what happens when your top hand comes away from your body on a wrist shot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

Make it 3. :cthulhu:

Thirding what the other Wings fans said. Start the puck out behind your rear foot and you'll get a lot more power off a wrister. Sometimes this is hard in a game if you have people chasing you down though. Pull it too far back and they can get you with an easy stick lift from behind, so there's definitely times when you want to shorten your stroke. But for learning purposes, pull it back pretty far. That video above with the Canadian guy shows this really well.

Once you get the mechanics of 'flicking' the puck from heel to toe, work on putting some weight down on the stick and flex the poo poo out of it.

If you're short like me, get a 67 flex intermediate stick to get even more zing :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

Another Hawks fan weighing in.

Hard to tell from those videos, because of the camera angle, but pay attention to how your top hand is moving. Right now it appears as though it's traveling forward for most of the shot. To get the right motion, your top hand should stay close to your body, finishing next to the side of your ribcage. This will move the stick's axis of rotation down, and get more of a snap on the shot.

This seems to be what's causing the puck-scooping coldwind observed, which is what happens when your top hand comes away from your body on a wrist shot.
Disagree. Your top should always finish by the side of your ribcage. This will come naturally with follow through. However, there's no reason your top hand should stay close to your body. If you want to release the puck further in front of your front skate, your top hand is going to have to move forward and come away from your body to get your stick positioned right.

Here's Mike Camalleri. His top hand is definitely out there. Here's some random guy. Here's a classic random guy. All their top hands move forward to varying degrees, and they all snap back to their ribcages on follow through.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Make it 3. :cthulhu:

Thirding what the other Wings fans said. Start the puck out behind your rear foot and you'll get a lot more power off a wrister. Sometimes this is hard in a game if you have people chasing you down though. Pull it too far back and they can get you with an easy stick lift from behind, so there's definitely times when you want to shorten your stroke. But for learning purposes, pull it back pretty far. That video above with the Canadian guy shows this really well.

Once you get the mechanics of 'flicking' the puck from heel to toe, work on putting some weight down on the stick and flex the poo poo out of it.

If you're short like me, get a 67 flex intermediate stick to get even more zing :v:
gently caress YEAH.

It's hard to get the puck in just the right position during a game, but as you get used to the motion in general, you'll find yourself doing it quicker. I think you'll also just find that you'll learn to adjust to the puck. Practice with it in the "perfect" position enough and you'll start to naturally adapt. I think.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

coldwind posted:

Disagree. Your top should always finish by the side of your ribcage. This will come naturally with follow through. However, there's no reason your top hand should stay close to your body. If you want to release the puck further in front of your front skate, your top hand is going to have to move forward and come away from your body to get your stick positioned right.

If you look at Cammalleri and the other guys you posted, their top hands makes a smooth arc around the front of their bodies rather than jutting out and then pulling back. That's what I meant; that's the difference between a two-part motion of pushing the puck forward before snapping the wrists around and making a smooth rolling motion. It doesn't need to be hugging your chest, but it needs to keep a consistent distance and shouldn't pop away from you when you start your wind up. Lawnie is starting out with a bit of a push, and the way to correct that is to keep his top hand closer in so he gets a smoother arc.

Perhaps my phrasing was a bit vague, but my experience with coaching is that it helps to give people mechanical directives (keep your top hand closer in) rather than outcome directives (don't scoop the puck). Once they have the mechanics down, and do it a couple hundred times, the outcomes will follow on their own.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 3, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

If you look at Cammalleri and the other guys you posted, their top hands makes a smooth arc around the front of their bodies rather than jutting out and then pulling back. That's what I meant; that's the difference between a two-part motion of pushing the puck forward before snapping the wrists around and making a smooth rolling motion. It doesn't need to be hugging your chest, but it needs to keep a consistent distance and shouldn't pop away from you when you start your wind up. Lawnie is starting out with a bit of a push, and the way to correct that is to keep his top hand closer in so he gets a smoother arc.

Perhaps my phrasing was a bit vague, but my experience with coaching is that it helps to give people mechanical directives (keep your top hand closer in) rather than outcome directives (don't scoop the puck). Once they have the mechanics down, and do it a couple hundred times, the outcomes will follow on their own.
Oh. I see. I guess we're agreed. Well, except, I don't Lawnie scooping the puck is something that's happening to his shot and needs to be fixed. I think he's doing it on purpose because that's the easiest way to lift the puck the way he's shooting. I think if we get him starting with the puck back and shooting properly, he'll stop doing that because he won't need to.

I don't know.

Also, I MacGuyvered this doo-hickey that might be useful as a training aid. Video quality is lovely because it was recorded on a point-and-shoot camera that is probably 3 years old. Oh well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAX1sn4d9pM

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
More videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lP2NnuZ9E

This next one is with a 65 flex intermediate stick I bought for real cheap on hockey monkey, whereas the first video is with the wooden one I bought when I first started playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7J5aC1Mzo

I think starting with the puck much further back has helped a lot. I think I need more knee bend so that I can get more of my weight on the stick to flex it, and I also need to work on the wrist action in the follow through.

Lastly, many of the shots I took were going wide of the net to the left. Watching the videos, it looks like maybe I am opening up the toe too much before I start the motion of my shot.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Stuff like this is when I realize that SA was :10bux: well spent.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

More videos...
Looking a lot better!! Progress is great. Starting with that puck back helped a lot.

I'd say try to do slow work on using your hands and legs to keep the stick at the same angle to the ground as long as possible. If we're looking at a frame when the puck is behind your back foot and a frame when the puck is almost to your front foot, it should like the stick has done nothing but shifted forward. Confusing? Have a picture!!

Excuse the poor drawing. See how the nice blue stick is sort of parallel to the original stick? Getting your top and bottom hands in a position to keep the stick like that make you naturally want to drop that back knee and bend your front knee. And guess what? Your weight has transferred beautifully. Didn't even have to think about your legs. Your top hand is going to be out in front of your body. As it is, your top hand is hugging your rib a little bit too much.

From this position, when you "flick" the puck, the top hand is going to sweep up and then come back to your ribcage and the bottom hand is going to swing out front.

But really, don't worry about all the little mechanical details. I would practice slowly at this point and work on keeping that stick at the same angle and getting it out as far in front of your body as possible. Get it further than illustrated in the picture. Try getting the puck all the way up to your front foot with that stick still at the same angle. This is going to require that you shift your weight really well and it's going to get your legs into the action in a way that you won't even have to think about it.

This is just a drill, though. When you start shooting in non-slow-mo for realsies, you probably won't be getting that stick as far out in front as you would during the drill, but getting that muscle memory is really going to help your technique and really help you get that weight and Iron-Maiden-anger into the puck for a sick shot.

Your follow through/wrist turning could use another 90° of rotation. REALLY turn that wrist around.

You're really, really close. Very pleased with the progress. That sounds condescending, like I'm your personal instructor or something. Oh well. I think only a few more changes and you're going to have a wicked shot. Well, in shoes. Everything is different on ice and skates, but...you know. You'll have the foundation down.

Wouldn't worry about accuracy too much just yet. You don't want to get accurate before you've finished making all the tweaks because those tweaks might throw things off.

EDIT: Just noticed on some of these shots, you're still opening your blade up and sort of chipping under it. Working on getting that stick far out front still parallel to it's original position will get rid of this.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 4, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Looking a lot better!! Progress is great. Starting with that puck back helped a lot.

I'd say try to do slow work on using your hands and legs to keep the stick at the same angle to the ground as long as possible. If we're looking at a frame when the puck is behind your back foot and a frame when the puck is almost to your front foot, it should like the stick has done nothing but shifted forward. Confusing? Have a picture!!

Excuse the poor drawing. See how the nice blue stick is sort of parallel to the original stick? Getting your top and bottom hands in a position to keep the stick like that make you naturally want to drop that back knee and bend your front knee. And guess what? Your weight has transferred beautifully. Didn't even have to think about your legs. Your top hand is going to be out in front of your body. As it is, your top hand is hugging your rib a little bit too much.

From this position, when you "flick" the puck, the top hand is going to sweep up and then come back to your ribcage and the bottom hand is going to swing out front.

But really, don't worry about all the little mechanical details. I would practice slowly at this point and work on keeping that stick at the same angle and getting it out as far in front of your body as possible. Get it further than illustrated in the picture. Try getting the puck all the way up to your front foot with that stick still at the same angle. This is going to require that you shift your weight really well and it's going to get your legs into the action in a way that you won't even have to think about it.

This is just a drill, though. When you start shooting in non-slow-mo for realsies, you probably won't be getting that stick as far out in front as you would during the drill, but getting that muscle memory is really going to help your technique and really help you get that weight and Iron-Maiden-anger into the puck for a sick shot.

Your follow through/wrist turning could use another 90° of rotation. REALLY turn that wrist around.

You're really, really close. Very pleased with the progress. That sounds condescending, like I'm your personal instructor or something. Oh well. I think only a few more changes and you're going to have a wicked shot. Well, in shoes. Everything is different on ice and skates, but...you know. You'll have the foundation down.

Wouldn't worry about accuracy too much just yet. You don't want to get accurate before you've finished making all the tweaks because those tweaks might throw things off.

EDIT: Just noticed on some of these shots, you're still opening your blade up and sort of chipping under it. Working on getting that stick far out front still parallel to it's original position will get rid of this.

You're pretty much incredible. I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon sometime, then I'll probably head over to the rink for rat hockey and see how much I can get to translate to ice, at least for now. Really looking forward to it.

Since you've taken such a personal interest in me, I'd like to at least get you a new avatar or something. Let me know.

EDIT: I can totally feel how close I am, too. It's gonna be awesome the first time I really rip one, I can tell. So excited.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the most important thing to take away from all the advice is: LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN