Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

My personal favorite was seeing a young Patton Oswalt as a video store clerk in the episode where George joins a book club and tries to watch the movie versions of books instead of reading the actual books.

I love when George asks for the information of the people who rented Breakfast at Tiffany's and Patton goes, "Oh sorry, I can't do that," in like this completely monotone voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Kramer: Can't forget my briefcase.

Jerry: Whatcha got in there?

Kramer: Crackers.

LordFancy
Feb 26, 2010
It's called a T-SQUARE!

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I had a dream last night that a HAMBURGER was eating ME!!!

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

T. Finn posted:

Well this is the best of all gifs.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

T. Finn posted:

Looks like something that came out of threeframes.net

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
God what I would do to see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u91zAolT3A

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
You, Kooger. My son tells me your company STINKS!

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

That sounds like one of those old time car horns.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

MokBa posted:

Well this is the best of all gifs.

Well I think that's the tops!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
"I'm a MAN!" *fistpump*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OnlyJuanMon posted:

"I'm a MAN!" *fistpump*

I RENOUNCE MY FAITH!

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

They botched my vasectomy, I'm even MORE potent now!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So in the UK Sienfeld wasn't big, Friends was the one that hit it big over here instead. I just started watching it and while it took about 6 episodes to get over how it has aged a bit looks wise and with no mobile phones I think it's great! I say that as someone who doesn't like Curb Your Enthusiasim because I don't like awkward humour (the Office either).

Should I be trying to avoid spoilers, I know Jerry goes to jail in the last episode because of the Oz thread but I cannot even imagine how. I'll probably watch the reunion CYE episode on it's own when I'm done or is that not adviseable?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
There's really nothing to "spoil". There are maybe a half dozen plot threads that are ever revisited, and they basically amount to "an old man peed on a couch".

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

willie_dee posted:

So in the UK Sienfeld wasn't big, Friends was the one that hit it big over here instead. I just started watching it and while it took about 6 episodes to get over how it has aged a bit looks wise and with no mobile phones I think it's great! I say that as someone who doesn't like Curb Your Enthusiasim because I don't like awkward humour (the Office either).

Should I be trying to avoid spoilers, I know Jerry goes to jail in the last episode because of the Oz thread but I cannot even imagine how. I'll probably watch the reunion CYE episode on it's own when I'm done or is that not adviseable?

Seinfeld wasn't big, not as big as friends but it wasn't exactly unheard of. Unless you're like 16 years old and get freaked out by bad fashion and an over-reliance on phone booths.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 2, 2011

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

willie_dee posted:

The show doesn't really work like that. It's not really one big storyline that can be "ruined" for you. It's typically just a bunch of one-off stories where call-backs and continuity are only used if it enhances how funny the episode is.

The CYE reunion episodes are hilarious. You'll like them if only to see the actors all together again.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

The show doesn't really work like that. It's not really one big storyline that can be "ruined" for you. It's typically just a bunch of one-off stories where call-backs and continuity are only used if it enhances how funny the episode is.

I'd say there are two semi-exceptions to this. George's engagement to Susan in season 7 and whichever season it is where they are working on the sitcom pilot both have ongoing, season-long story arcs. Every episode still works on its own though. The storylines aren't THAT important.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I only saw Seinfeld when I moved to Australia around the early 2000s, where they were still showing it daily at dinner-time. On the bright side, the fact that not everybody loves Seinfeld here means that I managed to snag (stupidly expensive) tickets to his show at the 02 on friday with just a few days to go.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

T. Finn posted:

What an absolutely spanking button.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 2, 2011

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

LordFancy posted:

It's called a T-SQUARE!
It's pronounced "thermometer."

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

I love Kramer's characters.

A.G Pennypacker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BobMcFartsens posted:

I love Kramer's characters.

A.G Pennypacker

He buys and sells men like himself every day!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

willie_dee posted:

GEORGE: Why don't they have salsa on the table?

JERRY: What do you need salsa for?

GEORGE: Salsa is now the number one condiment in America.

JERRY: You know why? Because people like to say "salsa." "Excuse me, do
you have salsa?" "We need more salsa." "Where is the salsa? No salsa?"

GEORGE: You know it must be impossible for a Spanish person to order
seltzer and not get salsa. (Angry) "I wanted seltzer, not salsa."

JERRY: "Don't you know the difference between seltzer and salsa?? You
have the seltezer after the salsa!"

GEORGE: See, this should be a show. This is the show.

This is the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

This is the show.

What amused (and infuriated) me was that during Seinfeld's height of popularity, other shows tried to mimic this easy back and forth empty banter that real life people engage in - but the characters they used were just empty vessels and instead of sounding like regular back and forth, it came across as trying waaaaay too hard to be casual interaction. Shows like "It's Like, You Know" and Mad About You were really bad at this.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Ironically, I found that little back and forth about salsa they had to be one of the few times where the dialogue DIDN'T feel natural.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Ironically, I found that little back and forth about salsa they had to be one of the few times where the dialogue DIDN'T feel natural.

Is it? Or is it so natural that I just blew your mind?!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Even so, that one interaction was still a million times better than the forced

"We should do this!"
"We should do this?"
"Yeah!"
"Why?"
"It's a... it's a thing!"
"It's a thing!"
"Yeah! We should do this thing because... it's a thing!"
"So you're saying we should do this thing because it's a thing? That's you're reasoning for doing this thing?"
"Yeah.... it's a thing!"
"What are you two talking about?"
"IT'S A THING!"

interaction that made up 99% of other terrible shows of the time.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Or anytime one of these vague conversation trying to get around the censors cropped up:

"Welp, it happened."
"What happened?"
"......it."
"Noooo...not it?!"
"IT JERRY. IT!!"
"BUt that means...."
"YUP!"
"And you don't..."
"NU-UH!"

But anyways, I had my absolute MIND blow the other day watching an episode. Has anyone ever pointed out that the entire geometry of Jerry's apt. makes no sense at all? The main door, the kitchen is slanted backwards about 30 degrees, yet every exterior hallway shot, the hall is straight. The hallway would have to bend to go around the kitchen.

20 years of watching and I just noticed that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OnlyJuanMon posted:

But anyways, I had my absolute MIND blow the other day watching an episode. Has anyone ever pointed out that the entire geometry of Jerry's apt. makes no sense at all? The main door, the kitchen is slanted backwards about 30 degrees, yet every exterior hallway shot, the hall is straight. The hallway would have to bend to go around the kitchen.

gently caress.

You.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

My personal favorite was seeing a young Patton Oswalt as a video store clerk in the episode where George joins a book club and tries to watch the movie versions of books instead of reading the actual books.

It's also interesting that apparently there was a time you could get looked down upon if you listened to an audio book without being blind.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Yes. The bicycle really ties it all together.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

gently caress.

You.

Here man calm down. A rough outlay of how that could work

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Supreme Allah posted:

I feel better. But the hot tub should be much bigger and I don't think Kramer kept Little Jerry. Also, where are the levels?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

jojoinnit posted:

I feel better. But the hot tub should be much bigger and I don't think Kramer kept Little Jerry. Also, where are the levels?

He chose not to build them.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's also interesting that apparently there was a time you could get looked down upon if you listened to an audio book without being blind.

They had books on tape, but George wanted a textbook on tape so in order not to pay to have it done, George had himself declared legally blind.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Supreme Allah posted:

"Look at this building. What is this?"
"I don't know. It's a building."
"The door's on a diagonal."
"So what?"
"It's architecturally incorrect."

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
"Jerry, these are load bearing walls, they aren't going to come down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Have you seen the new edition to the Guggenheim?