Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yay, they'll reveal the new publisher today, and again there's a live stream. :allears: This time it simply cannot be as bad as last time.

quote:

GOG.com and CD Projekt RED start summer early as we're having a joint conference on June 2nd! We're going to reveal some big news just before E3 live from Los Angeles. The announcements will be made on June 2 at 12:00 LA time (which is 3:00 p.m. EDT or 7:00 p.m. GMT) via Ustream live stream at this link.

We already teased you about a new deal with one of five big publishers still not signed with us: Microsoft, Lucas Arts, Electronic Arts, Square Enix or Take2. Well, on June 2nd everything will become clear, as during the live stream we will reveal the name of the publisher and the first games out of the batch of 25+ titles that will be released throughout summer 2011 at GOG.com.

Read more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Charles Martel posted:

If it is indeed LucasArts, I have one simple request that I'm sure people are going to disagree with since this game gets a lot of flak for some reason:

Galactic. loving. Battlegrounds.

I remember trading in a bunch of old poo poo I didn't want anymore to Babbage's when it came out for $49.99 because I couldn't stop playing the demo. Then again, Age of Empires II is probably my favorite PC game ever, so that helped too. Still, REALLY fun game.

Plus, if it's EA, I think the world would implode and collapse on itself anyway. The world would end. Seriously.

I love that game. I tried to get it running properly on Windows 7 x64, but all the colours mess up and it runs really poorly sometimes for no apparent reason. I'd be all over it if GOG manages to do a compatibility fix for it.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Hoping for EA, I wanna play Blade Runner and Syndicate!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It's incredible how GOG can get everyone on the hype train so easily after the previous disappointments. Don't discount their ability to underwhelm.

I'm sure there are a myriad of ways they could still gently caress this up.

Or, to be slightly less cynical: Celebrate once the games are available to download, not before.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We...got...LucusArts...wallpapers!!!!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The thing about underwhelming announcements is since GOG is utterly at the nonexistent mercy of other companies, they can just blame them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

BiggerJ posted:

The thing about underwhelming announcements is since GOG is utterly at the nonexistent mercy of other companies, they can just blame them.

Not when they devote weeks of cryptic press releases to hyping said underwhelming announcements beforehand. That is their fault.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

HEY YOU GUYS SIX HOURS UNTIL THE BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT GOG HAS EVER DONE*

Has anyone decoded what the hell is going on in that comic of theirs?

*have you noticed the bigass counter on their homepage

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Wasn't EA recently pulling down websites that were distributing one of the Ultima games? Maaaaaybe a sign that they were negotiating with GOG and getting ready to sign a deal to release the game commercially?

just talking out my rear end but whatever, either EA or LA would be awesome and I'd go spend a bunch of money on games that will take me a year to get around to playing.

I'd actually really love to play the Dungeon Keeper games again, but so many good LA games too...

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I am hoping for EA, no contest. Their back catalogue just loves Windows 9x.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dr. M. Twitter posted:

TheEvilDrM As in couple hours I'll be ruling the world I'm celebrating my great victory in one of LA bars just beside the sea.
10 minutes ago
This pretty much means LucasArts, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It has to be. I'm actually surprised they haven't signed up earlier, since they aren't adverse to digital re-releases like, you know, EA are.

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Charles Martel posted:

If it is indeed LucasArts, I have one simple request that I'm sure people are going to disagree with since this game gets a lot of flak for some reason:

I remember trading in a bunch of old poo poo I didn't want anymore to Babbage's when it came out for $49.99 because I couldn't stop playing the demo. Then again, Age of Empires II is probably my favorite PC game ever, so that helped too. Still, REALLY fun game.

Plus, if it's EA, I think the world would implode and collapse on itself anyway. The world would end. Seriously.

I loved this game and i'm with you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I just want Sam and Max. Grim Fandango would be a huge bonus, too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't mind getting Lucasart so long the first batch of games ain't the ones that Steam already got. I do hope Sith Lords shows up later on so I can replace my old copy. While the game got rushed, at least the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod fixes most of the problems the original had (bugs and missing content).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Saoshyant posted:

Well, I just want Sam and Max. Grim Fandango would be a huge bonus, too.

If they don't release Grim Fandango then someone should be shot

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I want to be able to play BioForge again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

@TheEvilDrM posted:

Whazh hei you sy? *hic! Teh rafcase? *hic! Thez a fomula frm... *hic! *hic! inurbvne arts *hic!

Inurbvne arts? Gonna assume that's like Lucas Arts.

I'm okay with this.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Inurbvne arts? Gonna assume that's like Lucas Arts.

I'm okay with this.

Then again EA is an "xxxx Arts" too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zat posted:

Then again EA is an "xxxx Arts" too.

Hahaha :downs:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Either way, I could easily see the one company that is not the big reveal today being one of the companies they have in final talks.

EDIT: And as much as I hope it's LA, I'd love for it to be EA if only for Crusader: No Remorse.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Centipeed posted:

It's incredible how GOG can get everyone on the hype train so easily after the previous disappointments. Don't discount their ability to underwhelm.

I'm sure there are a myriad of ways they could still gently caress this up.

Or, to be slightly less cynical: Celebrate once the games are available to download, not before.

To be fair, either one of these publishers is a big step for GOG, and as a small digital outlet compared to goliaths like Steam and Microsoft, the more publicity they can get, the better. They just need to dial it back a bit and not do extreme stuff like the whole infamous "close-down-the-entire-site-without-warning" event.

I'm focused more on which games they're going to put up now to bend my wallet over and pound it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

Just imagine, Indiana Jones: Desktop Adventures and Star Wars: Yoda Stories.
My dad actually spent money on Yoda Stories. gently caress YOU! :(

My dad also bought Master of Orion 3, but only because we were so smitten with MOO2. Some scars will never heal.

Charles Martel posted:

Now THIS I can really get behind! Galactic Battlegrounds was awesome and you're awesome for reminding me

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Charles Martel posted:

To be fair, either one of these publishers is a big step for GOG, and as a small digital outlet compared to goliaths like Steam and Microsoft, the more publicity they can get, the better. They just need to dial it back a bit and not do extreme stuff like the whole infamous "close-down-the-entire-site-without-warning" event.

I'm focused more on which games they're going to put up now to bend my wallet over and pound it.

This. Also, I don't really understand how people are saying the majority of their announcements have been disappointing. I mean the Atari/Hasbro stuff alone was well worth the hype.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, getting Blood and PST alone was a major coup for them. I still have no idea how the rights issues surrounding the latter got cleared up.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I've used GOG all of three times, for the first two Fallouts and Incredible Machine, though there's plenty of other tempting stuff on there.

Now a friend told me about this potential announcement and drat if I'm not salivating at the thought of EA giving us Westwood's back catalog in a Vista-friendly manner. Which means it will probably be LA, but a man can dream.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
drat, the OP doesn't have any info on the Duke3D source ports people were discussing a while back, and I'm having trouble finding the posts. Does someone remember if I need anything more than just EDuke32?

e; VVV thanks guys. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lemon Curdistan posted:

drat, the OP doesn't have any info on the Duke3D source ports people were discussing a while back, and I'm having trouble finding the posts. Does someone remember if I need anything more than just EDuke32?

I think you just need to unzip EDuke to a folder and plop the DUKE3D.GRP file in the same folder and you're good to go.

Here's a bunch of additional links on GOG's forums. It's the best resource for mods and such since they usually sticky threads for any given game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

This site combines EDuke32 with all the important stuff (hi-res pack, polygonal everything, higher-quality music, etc.) you'll likely be interested in. But I think if you just want the basic experience, you can just roll with EDuke32.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
All this talk of a new publisher but still no quest for glory :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
http://drmcomic.gog.com/Got_it.jpg

what the hell GoG?? Oh well less than 90 minutes.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

http://drmcomic.gog.com/Got_it.jpg

what the hell GoG?? Oh well less than 90 minutes.

V2 army goon, where the gently caress you been at?!?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Dude I've been posting nonstop but just recently started using this account again :)

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
It's a trap, it's both EA and LA

eames
May 9, 2009

GoG will merge with steam and offer their entire catalog on it, DRM free.
Hey, it would be their biggest announcement ever. :downs:

//edit: doh, just a new publisher. oh well, the frontpage made me think big. :(

eames fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

eames posted:

GoG will merge with steam and offer their entire catalog on it, DRM free

Steam is DRM so this scenario is literally impossible.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Steam is DRM so this scenario is literally impossible.

Will GOG be able to make Steam work on Windows 18? :colbert:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
T-minus 13 minutes until crushing disappointment! Who else is ready? :razz:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry if this has been posted (382 new posts since I last checked this thread...), but for those who didn't see it, someone on the GOG page commented that you can see a triangle, square and circle in their promo comic thing... which is the old EA logo... *shrug*.

Either way, Lucasarts or EA, I'll be stoked. We'll find out in a little over 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
oh god oh god

10 seconds!