Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

For the month of June, you can bring two knives into Sur La Table and they'll sharpen them for free. Probably worth about $15

edit: more dinnerware with large rims:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/prod60011/

This would be a great deal if I could trust myself to walk in there and then walk out having bought less than $15 ($50) worth of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Steve Yun posted:

For the month of June, you can bring two knives into Sur La Table and they'll sharpen them for free. Probably worth about $15

edit: more dinnerware with large rims:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/prod60011/

I'm gonna look at these in-person, there's a Sur La Table near me.

I've been considering taking my Shuns there since Shun dropped their FREE SHARPENING FOR LIFE deal, but I'm wondering if they'd gently caress up the angle on them or something? Do they sharpen inhouse or ship your knives off somewhere to be done? The one near me has one of those kitchens for classes if that makes a difference at all?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The lady I talked to there a couple weeks ago while checking out the Shuns made it a point to let me know they're able to sharpen asian-angled knives.

The brochure I got said they use a Chef's Choice commercial sharpener ($400-500 on amazon) in all the stores, which I think does both 20 and 15 degree angles. I assume this also means they do it in-house.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

quote:

The Pyrex Read-From-Above measuring cups...

... suck complete rear end. I wish I'd read the Cook's Illustrated review on these before I bought them. I guess they got jealous of Oxo's read-from-above design, so they made one of their own. Guess what? The significantly thicker glass material means the measuring lines will tell you different things depending on whether you read them from the top or from the side. On top of that... it's horribly inaccurate from either direction, by about 10 loving PERCENT. I took a cup of water, poured it into several other measuring cups which all agreed, and then in this Pyrex cup it was WAY off. How the hell did this get through quality control

BraveUlysses posted:

The OXO one is inaccurate as gently caress too.

I know this is a couple of pages back but I hadn't read this thread in awhile.
I love my oxo read-from-above cup and get annoyed using any other type now, so I had to test this out. The oxo is completely accurate unless every other measuring cup (I even did it with some 1/4 and 1/2 metal measuring cups) in my house are off by the exact same amount.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
edit: nevermind I thought you were talking about the Pyrexes, not the Oxo

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 1, 2011

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

edit: nevermind I thought you were talking about the Pyrexes, not the Oxo

Yeah, I wasn't sure about including the pyrex stuff, but I figured the oxo is crap quote wouldn't make sense this long after without context.

Hey, if you do take your shuns to sur la table, would you report back on how it goes? I was about to send my shuns off to kai-kershaw today for sharpening and had no idea they'd stopped doing that until I caught up on this thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don't have any Shuns, I figured since they have sharper angles it would be kinda redundant with having a 15° Henckel santoku already. I'm probably going to get a 20° chef knife.

Right now my Henckel is too new to bother sharpening

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are the Salt and Pepper grinders from Penzey's worth a poo poo? I have one of their catalogs and it says they improved the grinder mechanism.

I like the way they look for tabletop use.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are the Salt and Pepper grinders from Penzey's worth a poo poo? I have one of their catalogs and it says they improved the grinder mechanism.

My pepper grinder broke after not too long, but it was from 3-4 years ago so maybe they are better now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think the only improvement to the grinder is that it's larger now to accommodate odd peppercorn sizes. I'd recommend getting one with a ceramic grinder anyways, a common thing I'm reading on Amazon reviews of grinders is that stainless steel grinders start getting worn down after a while. William Bounds makes a zillion different styles of mills with ceramic grinders.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

logical fallacy posted:

Michel Richard in Happy in the Kitchen advocates using a microplane for garlic. Anthony Bourdain says in Kitchen Confidential, "Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please, treat you're garlic with respect. [...] I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic."

hahaha

"According to foodlord Anthony Bourdain,"

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get a peugeot grinder..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CI at one point recommended the Unicorn Magnum, and I have to say it rules. I've never seen a pepper mill that put out so much pepper with one twist. If you like pepper, this is the one to get.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

CI at one point recommended the Unicorn Magnum, and I have to say it rules. I've never seen a pepper mill that put out so much pepper with one twist. If you like pepper, this is the one to get.

I've got the Unicorn Keytop http://tinyurl.com/44y2n93 and I love it. Give that one a shot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Which pepper mill would you recommend for people who don't like pepper?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

therattle posted:

Pre-ground pepper that's been standing around in a shaker for 2 years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Pepper ball. That thing doesn't put out any pepper.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I have one of the big mofos, the magnum. Definitely worth its weight in gold. We go through a fair bit of pepper, and I can't imagine using the other ones that don't give very much at all. They're so frustrating. I used to have the smaller one, but that one got left behind in Florida. Once I moved to New York, I bought the large one with my first day's tips.

That being said, the grinder filling mechanism stands to be improved. When you're grinding pepper, it's in the same direction as the you need to open the thing to fill it up. I have never wound up with pepper falling out, because I don't fill it to the tippy top (and really, who needs to?).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

I have one of the big mofos, the magnum. Definitely worth its weight in gold. We go through a fair bit of pepper, and I can't imagine using the other ones that don't give very much at all. They're so frustrating. I used to have the smaller one, but that one got left behind in Florida. Once I moved to New York, I bought the large one with my first day's tips.

That being said, the grinder filling mechanism stands to be improved. When you're grinding pepper, it's in the same direction as the you need to open the thing to fill it up. I have never wound up with pepper falling out, because I don't fill it to the tippy top (and really, who needs to?).

I've had a couple small spills as a result of that. Still wouldn't trade it for any other grinder.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Get a peugeot grinder..

I have a Peugeot grinder and I'm not terribly happy with it. I use the Penzey's extra bold peppercorns and it does a really lousy job. I think they're slightly bigger than regular peppercorns.

The Peugeot looks beautiful at least.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I don't have any Shuns, I figured since they have sharper angles it would be kinda redundant with having a 15° Henckel santoku already. I'm probably going to get a 20° chef knife.

Right now my Henckel is too new to bother sharpening

I completely misinterpreted your previous post, sorry bout that man.

I don't think I'll take my knives to sur la table now anyways. I'd forgotten the exact angle on shun's until this morning, it's 16° on each side. If they use a machine that does 15° and 20°, I'll send my stuff somewhere else.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Wow, I was about to send my Shun off too. What a bag of dicks! I'm glad I only bought a $125 model and not one of their super uber fancy $500 knives, because I would have really been livid if I had spent half a month's rent on a knife and they pulled the warranty out from under me.

Hell, can they even *do* that? Are the laws applicable only in the state the knife ws sold in or in the state that the company is currently HQed at?

Now I have a dull knife and no way to sharpen it... :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's like $5 to get it sharpened now. Relax.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Wow, I was about to send my Shun off too. What a bag of dicks! I'm glad I only bought a $125 model and not one of their super uber fancy $500 knives, because I would have really been livid if I had spent half a month's rent on a knife and they pulled the warranty out from under me.

Hell, can they even *do* that? Are the laws applicable only in the state the knife ws sold in or in the state that the company is currently HQed at?

Now I have a dull knife and no way to sharpen it... :(

Well that's not dramatic at all.

The knives still have their warranty, and it's not like a Shun is some magical pixie knife that can only be sharpened by asteroid material or some poo poo. Even if it was, you can still send them to some authorized sharpening place for a couple bucks, and apparently Sur La Table is sharpening two for free right now.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I sent my knives to them over the winter and it took so long to get them back that it's not even worth it for free (+shipping).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just bought a sharpening stone from a knife fanatic who runs a Japanese Knife Company shop here in London. Amazing guy, very passionate, very knowledgeable. Selling, fixing and sharpening knives is his livelihood. I was nervous about using a stone. He told me not to get too hung up on angles when sharpening; blades have a tolerance of "about 10 degrees". This man I trust. He sells high end Japanese knives; he re-pointed my damaged Henckels knives and got them razor sharp. So if you are worried about your 16 degree blades being sharpened at 15 degrees, I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

geetee posted:

I sent my knives to them over the winter and it took so long to get them back that it's not even worth it for free (+shipping).

My guy is about a three-minute walk from my office, and he re-pointed and sharpened three knives in a day! I dropped them off in the morning and collected them in the afternoon. He charged me £5 for re-pointing all three (re-grinding and shaping a point) and 65p an inch for sharpening (I got 18 inches sharpened).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Is it that little shop down in soho, because holy gently caress he was knowledgeable!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

I just bought a sharpening stone from a knife fanatic who runs a Japanese Knife Company shop here in London. Amazing guy, very passionate, very knowledgeable. Selling, fixing and sharpening knives is his livelihood. I was nervous about using a stone. He told me not to get too hung up on angles when sharpening; blades have a tolerance of "about 10 degrees". This man I trust. He sells high end Japanese knives; he re-pointed my damaged Henckels knives and got them razor sharp. So if you are worried about your 16 degree blades being sharpened at 15 degrees, I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

My guy is about a three-minute walk from my office, and he re-pointed and sharpened three knives in a day! I dropped them off in the morning and collected them in the afternoon. He charged me £5 for re-pointing all three (re-grinding and shaping a point) and 65p an inch for sharpening (I got 18 inches sharpened).

Name and address of the sharpener man please.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

T&G pepper mills are pretty loving baller. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrushGrind-Apollo-Pepper-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0000E5SO9/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1307101641&sr=1-1

And it is really good. No clogs, no dribs and drabs of pepper, but proper loving crushed fresh waterfalls of it.

E: Grammars.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 3, 2011

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Is it that little shop down in soho, because holy gently caress he was knowledgeable!

Yes! Yes, Happy Hat, yes it is. Glad to have someone verifying my opinion. They have three branches:

http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/JKCSHOP.aspx

I go to the Bateman Street one.

Steakandchips posted:

T&G pepper mills are pretty loving baller. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrushGrind-Apollo-Pepper-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0000E5SO9/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1307101641&sr=1-1

And it is really good. No clogs, no dribs and drabs of pepper, but proper loving crushed fresh waterfalls of it.

Hmm. Ours is OK, but a bloody pain in the rear end to fill: you have to unscrew two small screws in the base and remove the whole grinding mechanism, including the rod, which you then have to push through the cylinder full of peppercorns. Bad design. Bad design make rattle MAAAD!

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 3, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Yes! Yes, Happy Hat, yes it is. Glad to have someone verifying my opinion. They have three branches:

http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/JKCSHOP.aspx

I go to the Bateman Street one.

Hmm. Ours is OK, but a bloody pain in the rear end to fill: you have to unscrew two small screws in the base and remove the whole grinding mechanism, including the rod, which you then have to push through the cylinder full of peppercorns. Bad design. Bad design make rattle MAAAD!
I read that as Batman store, and got unduly excited. :(

I think that's part of the reason I like the Magnum so much: no complex mechanisms to completely take apart, like the pepper grinders I used as a kid. Instead, you open the gaping maw of a hole, fill 'er up with a funnel (or, because I store my black peppercorns in an old wine bottle, just line up the bottle's mouth with the pepper mill's opening), and move on to showers of ground pepper. It's wonderful.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I wish I knew what kind of pepper grinder I have, it's pretty swank. I got it at Ikea years ago and regret not getting a second grinder for spices. It uses ceramic grinders, has a nice brushed stainless steel body with a huge top so it's easy to turn and you pull it apart to reload it. So simple. You adjust the grind with a little screw on the bottom.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a bunch of these that I use for spice grinding:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875

$5.99, ceramic grinder. They do a nice job.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

Mine just has a stopper on top that I pull out, refilling takes 5 seconds. Maybe you got an old version that they have now discontinued.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I don't understand that there's not more love for the Peugeot grinders.. The cars are crap, but the grinders are awesome!

Or for a spicegrinder a zassenhaus - because holy gently caress!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Now to continue outfitting my kitchen! What food processor would you guys recommend?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Now to continue outfitting my kitchen! What food processor would you guys recommend?

KitchenAid or Cuisinart, as large as you can afford. Ideally one of the 12 or 14 cup models. I have a 7 cup, and there have been a good number of times that I've cursed not having a larger one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have the 11 cup Cuisinart and it is a godsend. I bought it at a steep discount so I don't actually know how the cost measures up, but it works like a dream.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does the Cuisinart require the plunger be in the feed tube in order to process? It seems like it would be an annoying safety feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Coupe-Bowl-Cutter-Mixer/dp/B001BQR4BK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1307428279&sr=8-11

If you have an extra $1000 lying around...

• Locked thread