Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I'm still holding out hope for an Evil Genius 2 someday, buddy :(

Can anyone recommend me some good recent Western RPGs (ie since Oblivion)? I've been out of the loop for years, since my PC was awful up until recently, but I'm upgraded and ready to play now. I've played The Witcher 1 and 2, but that's about it. Oh, and the Bioware RPGs, of course, but I'm looking for something a little less "safe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

doctor iono posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good recent Western RPGs (ie since Oblivion)? I've been out of the loop for years, since my PC was awful up until recently, but I'm upgraded and ready to play now. I've played The Witcher 1 and 2, but that's about it. Oh, and the Bioware RPGs, of course, but I'm looking for something a little less "safe".

Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a game that tries some amazingly awesome things, mostly succeeds, and occasionally falls comically on its face. If you're less after polish and more into ambitious game design, you could do a whole lot worse!

Also Alpha Protocol, same reasoning.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2011

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

doctor iono posted:

You really can't go wrong with Fallout: New Vegas.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

TehGherkin posted:

Additionally, I'm always on the lookout for good RPGs, especially where I get to not only level up a metric fuckton and watch numbers go up, but where I can customize the appearances, abilities, etc of my characters. I find being able to make a bunch of different character builds and screw around with different combinations really enjoyable, as well as playing virtual people dress up with armour and equipment, apparently. :downs:

Have you looked into Disgaea? Someone plugged it really well earlier, but there's an absurd number of levels to grind through and all sorts of statistics to manage in those games, and besides a core group of main characters all of your little guys are custom done.
Graphics are pretty lo-fi though.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brace posted:

What's the difference from CoP to the earlier games in the series?
There's a lot of little things, but mainly it's just that CoP got all the time and polish the other games were lacking. If you like CoP give the other ones a try, but having played Clear Sky and CoP I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between the two.

Brace posted:

also I'm looking for a game that will occupy a lot of my time, this may be the broadest request yet in this thread, but something like WoW(already tried rift, and burnt out of wow, played guild wars and pretty much any other well-known MMO as well), where I can kind of keep my self going on this game rather then constantly having to buy new games just to get some enjoymnent

If you liked diablo and other such games, buy Fate: Traitor Soul. It's basically Diablo2 but everything's randomized, the dungeons go on forever and there are randomly generated quests that the townspeople hand out to help motivate you to keep spelunking.

Also, your pet can make store runs. And there's a guy in town who you can pay to just add enchantment/sockets to items you find. IIRC there's no limit to the number to enchantments you can make this guy slap on your gear, but it does get really pricey to do so.

edit: Whatever asshat recommended that I buy BFBC2 can go right to hell. I've barely gotten any sleep this weekend because of that game you fucker and now I'm going to go play it some more. you killed my social life, and demolished any productivity that I once had. gently caress YOU.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Trollologist posted:

There's a lot of little things, but mainly it's just that CoP got all the time and polish the other games were lacking. If you like CoP give the other ones a try, but having played Clear Sky and CoP I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between the two.

If you liked diablo and other such games, buy Fate: Traitor Soul. It's basically Diablo2 but everything's randomized, the dungeons go on forever and there are randomly generated quests that the townspeople hand out to help motivate you to keep spelunking.

Also, your pet can make store runs. And there's a guy in town who you can pay to just add enchantment/sockets to items you find. IIRC there's no limit to the number to enchantments you can make this guy slap on your gear, but it does get really pricey to do so.

edit: Whatever asshat recommended that I buy BFBC2 can go right to hell. I've barely gotten any sleep this weekend because of that game you fucker and now I'm going to go play it some more. you killed my social life, and demolished any productivity that I once had. gently caress YOU.

Looks far too cartoony, and while I have nothing wrong with that, I've played pretty much every Diablo-like that's worth it's salt and I don't see my self funneling more hours into another

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Ashenai posted:

Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a game that tries some amazingly awesome things, mostly succeeds, and occasionally falls comically on its face. If you're less after polish and more into ambitious game design, you could do a whole lot worse!

Also Alpha Protocol, same reasoning.

Yeah, I'm looking for flawed gems, mostly. I'll definitely try Divinity 2.

Already played Alpha Protocol and New Vegas - I swear I always forget what I've tried when I ask for recommendations. How's Risen?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Trollologist posted:

If you liked diablo and other such games, buy Fate: Traitor Soul.

How have I never ever heard of this, like ever? I love this genre and it's already the second standalone expansion to Fate (which I also never heard of). How do the previous installments play? Or should I just get this expansion?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

How have I never ever heard of this, like ever? I love this genre and it's already the second standalone expansion to Fate (which I also never heard of). How do the previous installments play? Or should I just get this expansion?

It's a budget title made by Wild Tangent (think popcap minus all the charm), is really late to the whole "let's rip off D2 guyz" party, and it looks like it's targeted towards 10-year olds. Which is why you've probably never heard of it.

That having been said, I had an absolute blast playing it. and Traitor Soul is the way to go, it's got the most features, and has like 5 dungeons to mess around in as opposed to fate's 1.

VVV Not that I noticed. But they probably try to sneak it in if you buy it digitally, so I'd recommend actually getting a disc copy of the game.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 31, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Trollologist posted:

It's a budget title made by Wild Tangent (think popcap minus all the charm), is really late to the whole "let's rip off D2 guyz" party, and it looks like it's targeted towards 10-year olds. Which is why you've probably never heard of it.

That having been said, I had an absolute blast playing it. and Traitor Soul is the way to go, it's got the most features, and has like 5 dungeons to mess around in as opposed to fate's 1.

Do they still throw in all the adware when you install the game? That was the biggest reason that I didn't keep playing it.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Would someone recommend a game for my girlfriend? She saw me playing Bioshock and it made her want to get into a game.

She liked Oblivion but doesn't want something so large and open-ended right now.

She likes what she has seen of Bioshock but the game is a bit too scary for her, so something a little more toned down would be best.

She likes goofing off with a variety of weapons; she used to play Counter Strike (I guess with friends? Bots? She is NOT a gamer!), but she doesn't like outlandish weapons like in Unreal Tournament.

An interesting story would be a huge plus.

An older game that could run on a new laptop with an integrated graphics card would be a plus, but not necessary.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Dr Strangepants posted:

Would someone recommend a game for my girlfriend? She saw me playing Bioshock and it made her want to get into a game.

She liked Oblivion but doesn't want something so large and open-ended right now.

She likes what she has seen of Bioshock but the game is a bit too scary for her, so something a little more toned down would be best.

She likes goofing off with a variety of weapons; she used to play Counter Strike (I guess with friends? Bots? She is NOT a gamer!), but she doesn't like outlandish weapons like in Unreal Tournament.

An older game that could run on a new laptop with an integrated graphics card would be a plus, but not necessary.
Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Just kidding, she would probably break up with you. How about Half Life 2 and the episodes?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Dr Strangepants posted:

If it doesn't have to be a FPS, how about Batman: Arkham Asylum? It's got a not-too-large open world with lots of exploration, loads of quests, a fun story, lots of hidden extras to waste time looking around for and tons of cool gadgets to play with.

For some older FPS adventure games that a low-end laptop should have no trouble at all running, have her check out the Thief games. Thief: The Dark Project and Thief 2 are fantastic somewhat-open-level adventures with loads of sneaking around and exploring for different ways to complete a mission, great (sometimes hosed up) storylines and lots of cool toys to unlock.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If a female main character is wanted, can't go wrong with Beyond Good and Evil. It's not a shooter, but it's still a good game.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to chime in with the Hitman series. While Blood Money is the best by far, the other titles are no slouches either. There's a lot of exploring in each level but every level is self-contained, and there's a load of fun, realistic weapons to play around with, like garrote wire for instance.

Plus even the most recent game (blood money) doesn't have really steep system requirements.

Also, Vampire: the Masquerade. I'll let other goons bicker over which one is better though.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I'm starting her off with Half Life 2, but I do own most of the games mentioned (even if I haven't played them yet) so if she isn't into this one I'll send her to the next one on the list. I'll look into the games I don't own too.

I'm a little bummed that I can't get the older Thief games on Steam.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I'm going to try again because the last two I was recommended ended up being ps2 games, and I don't have a ps2.

I'm looking for an RPG, preferably action rpg, that allows me various classes and characters. I like loot grinds. I hate point - click movement, so wasd keys are ideal.

I've played:

Deathspank 1 and 2
Torchlight
Daggerfall
Fallout NV, 3, Oblivion and Morrowind

I have a lovely laptop that can barely handle older games, I tried magika but it would always lag out. I've also got an xbox 360 so thats an option too.

Help me out. I have nothing left to do this week since the family is gone and I've done my 3 12 hour days, so now I have nothing but outside time and evenings for video games.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Splits posted:

I'm going to try again because the last two I was recommended ended up being ps2 games, and I don't have a ps2.

I'm looking for an RPG, preferably action rpg, that allows me various classes and characters. I like loot grinds. I hate point - click movement, so wasd keys are ideal.

I've played:

Deathspank 1 and 2
Torchlight
Daggerfall
Fallout NV, 3, Oblivion and Morrowind

I have a lovely laptop that can barely handle older games, I tried magika but it would always lag out. I've also got an xbox 360 so thats an option too.

Help me out. I have nothing left to do this week since the family is gone and I've done my 3 12 hour days, so now I have nothing but outside time and evenings for video games.

Consider Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. It's an action RPG and uses ASWD in a great way. Like WoW, almost. Talent trees, too, but I'm not entirely sure if there are necessarily different 'classes', but different builds. At least check it out. I think there's a demo. Good reviews, great goon reviews.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

The Two Worlds games are pretty good, too.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Splits posted:

Sacred II. It's available on PC but it probably wouldn't run very well, but the 360 version is excellent (seriously nice looking environment wise). It has random loot, dungeon crawling, excellent action-focused combat and a very detailed talent tree (which you should read up about before playing it). It's fun to create a super powerful build and take on dozens of enemies at a time. This game is recommended a lot in this thread but it's because it's one of the few actually decent Diablo II loot whore games which have come out recently.

It's a top-down style RPG, not a FPS, if you were specifically looking for those. If this looks awesome, then you might want to check it out, and imagine the thumping nordic rock anthems that like to kick in during combat. This game is :rock: over and over. Grinding gameplay video (action at 1:30).

I would also say that personally I found Divinity 2: DKS to be dire beyond belief on-rails RPG for only the RPG completists.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 1, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I need a new game to play.

Ideally:
A game like Freelancer that isn't Freelancer. I played the living gently caress out of Freelancer, because it's so god damned great, so yeah.

Also, love empire building sims, anything like Civ5 or Anno1401 that aren't those games.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

Ideally:
A game like Freelancer that isn't Freelancer. I played the living gently caress out of Freelancer, because it's so god damned great, so yeah.

Also, love empire building sims, anything like Civ5 or Anno1401 that aren't those games.

If you can deal with slightly dated graphics, Darkstar One was a pretty good space sim. It was slightly more arcade-y than Freelancer, but close enough. It's not as good as FL, but it's fun if you can find it for cheap (it's really cheap on Steam).

If you like shiny graphics, ridiculously hard difficulty and tons of complexity, I suggest checking out X3: Terran Conflict. It's every bit as good as FL - better, in my opinion. EDIT: The only thing I didn't like about X3 (apart from how freakin' difficult it is) was the lack of radio chatter that FL has. It starts to feel kinda lonely out there in the black when nobody talks :( I bet there are mods to fix that, though.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 2, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Loving Life Partner posted:

Ideally:

Check out Tachyon: The Fringe, a very good linear space-sim with two unique branching storylines. Best part is, it stars motherfuckin' Bruce Campbell.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Are there any good games for lovers of Roman history? I wish Paradox had a decent Rome game, EU: Rome was really disappointing and bland.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I assume you've already played Rome: Total War. I had a fairly budget management/strategy game along time ago called Caesar III which was alot of fun. I guess Fallout: New Vegas also counts since they actually pronounce Caesar the right way v :) v

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
I'm looking for a recommendation for my girlfriend. She LOVED Machinarium and finished it all by herself (which I can't for the life of my understand how). She also finished the Samorost games but didn't like them as much because they don't have any logical progression. It's all just finding the right thing to click.

Now, the thing is that her English is crap so I can't come up with any games that don't rely on language to solve... I'm stumped. Any ideas?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Category Fun! posted:

I assume you've already played Rome: Total War. I had a fairly budget management/strategy game along time ago called Caesar III which was alot of fun. I guess Fallout: New Vegas also counts since they actually pronounce Caesar the right way v :) v

Of course! I adore the Total War series, and the Caesar series can be good, too; but I was looking for something that got a little more into the meat of Rome, whether that be an in-depth look at Roman society (akin to Assassin's Creed's windows into its respective settings) or a larger viewpoint of history, such as a more event-based Paradox game like Victoria or Europa Universalis.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

doctor iono posted:

Of course! I adore the Total War series, and the Caesar series can be good, too; but I was looking for something that got a little more into the meat of Rome, whether that be an in-depth look at Roman society (akin to Assassin's Creed's windows into its respective settings) or a larger viewpoint of history, such as a more event-based Paradox game like Victoria or Europa Universalis.

I think that Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood actually IS in Rome, if you haven't played that one yet.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can somebody recommend me an FPS (for the PC) that I haven't played yet?

Here's a list of games I'm thinking about :

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Bioshock 2
Dead Space 2
Metro 2033
Battlefield Bad Company 2
FEAR 2
Just Cause 2
Doom 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
The Void
Hitman

I've bolded the ones that seem like the most fun... (although, I am a little tired of the Call of Duty games)

These are other FPS games that are most recent (I think) but I don't really know much about them:

Bulletstorm
Singularity
Brink

EDIT: Also, I'm more interested in colorful games (ie. Bioshock, Crysis) rather than everything is gray/brown (ie. Metro 2033, Dead Space [?])

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 5, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Bioshock 2
Dead Space 2
Metro 2033
FEAR 2
Just Cause 2
Doom 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
The Void
Hitman

I've bolded the ones that seem like the most fun... (although, I am a little tired of the Call of Duty games)

These are other FPS games that are most recent (I think) but I don't really know much about them:

Bulletstorm
Singularity
Brink

Bulletstorm is a really cool game and very far removed from the standard Call of Duty gameplay. I think there's a demo for it now on PC, so grab that and try it out. It's based around getting points for fancy kills ("skillshots") that you use to keep your ammo stocked and buy upgrades and weapons. You also have a leash and a melee boot to throw people into environmental hazards and put them into stasis. It's also funny as hell and the multiplayer is pretty cool, although it gets repetitive.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks! I'm watching a quick look on GiantBomb for Bulletstorm and it definitely looks very interesting. I definitely like the atmosphere (very colorful)...

How does that game compare to Brink? What's the differences?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I haven't played Brink, but it's multiplayer only with offline bots. I think it's all about customization and some light class-based gameplay, but they're very different games. It had some issues on launch and I don't know if they're fixed yet; check the thread.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Vinlaen posted:

Bioshock 2
Dead Space 2
Metro 2033
FEAR 2
Just Cause 2
Doom 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
The Void
Hitman

Bulletstorm
Singularity
Brink

EDIT: Also, I'm more interested in colorful games (ie. Bioshock, Crysis) rather than everything is gray/brown (ie. Metro 2033, Dead Space [?])

If you're looking for a multiplayer FPS, BFBC2 beats the poo poo out of everything out right now. And it's only $20!

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Vinlaen posted:

Bioshock 2
Dead Space 2
Metro 2033
FEAR 2
Just Cause 2
Doom 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
The Void
Hitman

Bulletstorm
Singularity
Brink

You'll carve a good amount of time into Just Cause 2 just doing stunts alone. It will last you a good while and has modding capabilities. Then again, it's not an FPS!

I didn't have a great experience with Bulletstorm at all on the PC. There were tons of technical problems on launch and frustrations with GFWL to the point of not being able to play it properly. From what I've heard, it's not very lengthy either, so I would be careful with that.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Amrosorma posted:

If you're looking for a multiplayer FPS, BFBC2 beats the poo poo out of everything out right now. And it's only $20!

Do this, do this right now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks! I'm watching a quick look on GiantBomb for Bulletstorm and it definitely looks very interesting. I definitely like the atmosphere (very colorful)...

How does that game compare to Brink? What's the differences?

Just remember while playing Bulletstorm - run and gun, use slide, use leash, donīt hoard ammo or run for cover like in other FPSes. Spend ALL points on more ammo to get more varied skillshots to get even more points. There are people who had bad experiences with the game simply because they played it like COD - looking for cover, plinking at the enemy, running away etc. - this is a different game.

Also Crysis 2 is surprisingly good. Itīs not open world anymore but it's a more focused game than the first one in my opinion. Every 'room' gives you many possibilities of clearing it - from stealth to destruction, weapons feel great, kills and character upgrades are satisfying. Worth playing.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Which AC game is best for someone new to the series, Armoured Core 4 or For Answer?

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Can someone recommend a fairly modern (last five years or so) 4x game? I still play Masters of Orion 2 to death and have played all the other similar titles from that era, Masters of Magic, Imperium Galactica, Civ/AC etc.

Is there anything new on the block apart from the Cilivisation series? I'm open to suggestions but a space based one would be excellent, as much as I love MOO2, the same techs and ship designs is boring and would love to play something new, even if it's pretty much just a MOO2 rip-off with different graphics and names. I'd still be interested in any other turn based 4x games though.

As long as its turn based and has research, building and expanding/conquering/diplomacy I'd give it a whirl. I'm not as interested in things like Total War though which seems more Strategy and tactics based, I'm more a play on normal difficulty mode and crush my years behind tech-wise neighbours kinda guy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you played Galactic Civilizations 2? It's an excellent 4X with a ton of depth and really good AI. There are some great writeups of full games here and here to give you an idea of the kind of stuff you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm looking for a single-player spreadsheet-style simulation game. Any kind of turn based game involving lots of charts, stats and graphs is good, but I do favour anything that involves management of a team or roster of people. Here are some examples:

Aurora
Stars!
Football Manager (series)
Liberal Crime Squad