Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

That's clearly a Hot Dog phone Newman is using, not a Hamburger.
Site, owned. :colbert:

On the for real tip, though, I really like that Blog and I've put it in my favorites for easy access and linked numerous people to it because there are some really neat comparisons made.

This page for instance, is full of great ones;
http://shotcontext.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah there are some really cool ones on that blog, some are real stretches (or maybe the still image doesn't communicate the full context well enough). There are a lot of obvious ones missing though, they did the altered perspective for Predator but not Silence of the Lambs? Also I'm waiting for the Warriors/Yojimbo ending fight comparison, haven't seen it yet.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

So send me links to those pictures. I don't own The Warriors.

Secks, you're an rear end.

I've debated putting text into it but I decided not to because I don't think it's necessary.

ROTJ/Hidden Fortress tied up are very similar scenes, from one movie that is an acknowledged major influence on another. If there's some you don't get, watch the loving movies, instead of assuming there's nothing there.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 30, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I had a hard time finding the Yojimbo clip, but it's at the end in this compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzsKlpp4IE

and the scene from The Warriors (about 3:30 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzC3qmbr_8Q

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Thanks. I'll get at that tonight.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

The Machine posted:

I think the blog is a fascinating read. I don't get why people have to be all dickish and aggressive towards a blog of movie stills. There's some interesting connections in the visual language, chill out holmes.
The best part is that it barely qualifies as a "read"; most posts are just the two shots without any overt declaration of what the connection could even be. Anybody that gets pissed off about it is just tapping into their subconscious.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

penismightier posted:

So send me links to those pictures. I don't own The Warriors.

Secks, you're an rear end.

I've debated putting text into it but I decided not to because I don't think it's necessary.

ROTJ/Hidden Fortress tied up are very similar scenes, from one movie that is an acknowledged major influence on another. If there's some you don't get, watch the loving movies, instead of assuming there's nothing there.
I've seen a couple of things recently that I think would be nice additions - is there a good way to get suggestions to you?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

PM me. If you don't have PMs, and Prof. Clumsy doesn't mind, mention it in the General Chat thread or even the comments on the site.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Can someone explain this Metropolis poster to me? http://www.posterrevolution.com/gallery/item.cfm?ID=641322
It's apparently the premiere dates in Tokyo and Antwerp, but why is it French?

Tokio
20-22, Rue Verlat - Anvers-Sud
Du 16 au 22 Decembre 1927:
Guichet ouv.: 7 h. 15 Seance 8 h. 15

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fenix down posted:

Can someone explain this Metropolis poster to me? http://www.posterrevolution.com/gallery/item.cfm?ID=641322
It's apparently the premiere dates in Tokyo and Antwerp, but why is it French?

Tokio
20-22, Rue Verlat - Anvers-Sud
Du 16 au 22 Decembre 1927:
Guichet ouv.: 7 h. 15 Seance 8 h. 15

My guess is that the theatre was called Tokio, and it's in French because a significant number of people in Antwerp in the 20s spoke French.

Edit: A little googling confirms this is the case.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My guess is that the theatre was called Tokio, and it's in French because a significant number of people in Antwerp in the 20s spoke French.

Edit: A little googling confirms this is the case.
Thank you, that makes sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was looking at movies available on archive.org and stumbled on this list of the 40 greatest movies available for free and the description for Brother From Another Planet included the phrase "another example of a copyright notice being left off the print, so it immediately fell into the public domain" is that true? If I'm a movie studio or whatever and gently caress up by not including a copyright on my print, the whole movie becomes public domain? I only have a hazy understanding of copyrights for writing, but my understanding is that barring some other agreement, the creator of a work has an automatic copyright.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I was looking at movies available on archive.org and stumbled on this list of the 40 greatest movies available for free and the description for Brother From Another Planet included the phrase "another example of a copyright notice being left off the print, so it immediately fell into the public domain" is that true? If I'm a movie studio or whatever and gently caress up by not including a copyright on my print, the whole movie becomes public domain? I only have a hazy understanding of copyrights for writing, but my understanding is that barring some other agreement, the creator of a work has an automatic copyright.

This always weirded me out too. The same thing happened to Night of the Living Dead. Doesn't seem like it makes any sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Romero should have taken a picture of the negative and mailed it to himself and put it in a vault.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Skwirl posted:

...the description for Brother From Another Planet included the phrase "another example of a copyright notice being left off the print, so it immediately fell into the public domain" is that true? If I'm a movie studio or whatever and gently caress up by not including a copyright on my print, the whole movie becomes public domain?

That's how it used to work. Before 1989, if you did not include a copyright notice on your work claiming the copyright, it was automatically in the public domain. You also had to register it to claim copyright past a very short period of time which few people did. These were both inconvenient for our corporate overlords so they cut checks until it was changed. Today, every stupid little scribble you create is protected by the full force of the US government from infringement until 70 years after your death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And when it gets closer to 2036 Disney will get it changed again as they will fight to the death to keep Mickey Mouse from the public domain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even if it's free, you get cases like The Lodger...

Public domain version:

Restored version on DVD:

While it's nice to think that public domain opens up possibilities, it does come at a price. As much as Disney likes to keep Mickey Mouse nailed down as copyrighted, they have spent millions restoring, preserving, and remastering their films that would have been public domain by now. I don't think many outlets for public domain material would be keen on giving Steamboat Willie a 2K digital restoration like Disney allowed.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Even if it's free, you get cases like The Lodger...

Public domain version:

Restored version on DVD:

While it's nice to think that public domain opens up possibilities, it does come at a price. As much as Disney likes to keep Mickey Mouse nailed down as copyrighted, they have spent millions restoring, preserving, and remastering their films that would have been public domain by now. I don't think many outlets for public domain material would be keen on giving Steamboat Willie a 2K digital restoration like Disney allowed.

Restoration my rear end. The hacks at BFI got rid of her soul patch in that shot.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

While it's nice to think that public domain opens up possibilities, it does come at a price.

So your example of public domain coming at a price is a public domain film that's been restored by a non profit cultural institution? There's plenty of stuff in studio vaults just rotting away because of a lack of commercial demand. If my options are only a fraction of stuff gets restored by companies making judgments on what's the most profitable or only a fraction of stuff gets restored by institutions focusing on perceived artistic merit then I'll take the second even if neither is an ideal situation. Plus with public domain status looming companies may get off their rear end and release stuff if they know they have a short window to do so, rather than postponing things indefinitely.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Was the German that the group took prisoner, made him dig graves then let go, the guy that slides the knife into the Jewish Americans chest then walks by Upham crying on the stairs and the guy that kills Tom Hanks then gets shot by Upham the same guy? I always thought that he walked by him crying because Upham saved him and tried to help him dig and stuff, but someone just told me he is a different person and I don't know.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
the prisoner shoots Tom Hanks, the knife guy is a separate dude.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is it generally accepted that in The Innocents the governess was in the wrong on the existance of ghosts? That the children were twisted maybe by someone else, or maybe they were like that from the get-go.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

penismightier posted:

PM me. If you don't have PMs, and Prof. Clumsy doesn't mind, mention it in the General Chat thread or even the comments on the site.

I don't mind you using the general chat thread for this.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Skwirl posted:

This blog doesn't have Charade on the list. Another casualty of no copyright notice which instantly put it in the public domain, even though I think it lists the year it was made, but Universal Pictures didn't include the word "copyright" or the © symbol in front of the year.

Yeah, yeah, the Criterion Blu-ray, but this is a good way for people to see it and realize how great it is enough to buy said Blu-ray. Worked for me.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Is there a name for the shot in movies where the car swerves right while the camera moves left?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Probably not, there are a ton of cinematographic moves that are instantly recognizable but aren't really labeled.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Is there a name for the shot in movies where the car swerves right while the camera moves left?

Dyslexic?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There should be an image blog for this kind of thing. Like the thing where the camera's focused on a group of people and then someone interrupts close up in front of the camera. Fellini does that a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There should be an image blog for this kind of thing. Like the thing where the camera's focused on a group of people and then someone interrupts close up in front of the camera. Fellini does that a lot.

Aguirre has a really memorable example of this. Mostly memorable because OH GOD KINSKI, WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR FACE?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

The Kansas City Shuffle?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Romero should have taken a picture of the negative and mailed it to himself and put it in a vault.

What happened there was that the title changed, and the producers neglected to include a notice on the new title card.

My understanding is that this makes the movie public domain but not the IP. Anyone who has a print of NOTLD can show it anywhere for profit or no, but the actual right to create derivative works is still Romero and Russo's.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Strange question. Some girls just got on the bus and sat behind me, and were talking about some hypothetical "live forever" situation and how, actually, it would suck. Then one of them says "It's like that man in The Green Mile." "The black one?" "No, the one that got his wee-wonk fixed. He lives forever, with that mouse."

What? Did I just miss that part of the film? The adventures of Everliving Tom Hanks and his Immortal Mouse?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Akuma posted:

Strange question. Some girls just got on the bus and sat behind me, and were talking about some hypothetical "live forever" situation and how, actually, it would suck. Then one of them says "It's like that man in The Green Mile." "The black one?" "No, the one that got his wee-wonk fixed. He lives forever, with that mouse."

What? Did I just miss that part of the film? The adventures of Everliving Tom Hanks and his Immortal Mouse?

Via Wikipedia (spoilers, obviously):

quote:

Elaine questions his statement that he had a fully grown son at the time and Paul explains that he was 44 years old at the time of John's execution and that he is now 108 and still in excellent health. This is apparently a side effect of John giving a "part of himself" to Paul. Mr. Jingles, Del's mouse resurrected by John, is also still alive—but Paul believes his outliving all of his relatives and friends to be a punishment from God for having John executed. Paul explains he has deep thoughts about how "we each owe a death; there are no exceptions; but, Oh God, sometimes the Green Mile seems so long." After Elaine's funeral, Paul is left wondering, if Mr. Jingles has remained alive for all of this time being but a mouse, how long will it be before his own death?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo, I'd completely forgotten that. I mean I haven't seen it in years but still. Thanks for clearing that up!

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Wolfman (with Benecio Del toro)

- sorry, I can't remember the characters names.

Why did Emily Blunt have to kill del Toro? The protagonist was a warewolf for two nights a month and presumably could be locked in a cage. Like his father did to himself for 25 years.

Additional, in the flashback Anthony Hopkins was holding his dead wife, and an old style razor can be seen and her cut wrists. But I thought he killed her as a warewolf?

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2011

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Was Sucker Punch just a really lovely movie or did I not "get" the movie?

hog wizard fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 21, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Did Nina in "Black Swan" stab Winona Ryder (Beth Macintyre) or did Beth really do it to herself?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

hog wizard posted:

Probably both.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

Did Nina in "Black Swan" stab Winona Ryder (Beth Macintyre) or did Beth really do it to herself?
It didn't actually happen, just another manifestation of her guilt imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

hog wizard posted:

literally the worst movie ever