Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Invis posted:

What do you mean it's me? I'm just telling you how our system works. I didn't design it. I'm not saying I agree with it either. I'm just trying to earn my keep. If I don't follow the rules I will be fired, it's pretty simple really.

The majority of people you are calling don't give two shits about you or your product, they just want to go back to whatever it was they were doing. Sure, you have to follow the rules, but unless you're on commission (which from your description I really doubt) you are taking this way too personally.

Some people just do not want to talk to telemarketers, it's the nature of the business. Enough people do to make it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I think what he's saying is that, much as I suspected, it's not a genuinely free service - it's a loss leader to get people on board with your investment company, and no doubt if anyone turns up they'll get the hard sell.

So long as your company sticks to whatever your local version of TPS/DNC is then I'm fine with that, as I am with all companies which stick to the law. The reason people hate telemarketing firms is that a significant portion of them don't stick to the law regard opt-outs.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

rolleyes posted:

The reason people hate telemarketing firms is that a significant portion of them don't stick to the law regard opt-outs.

From my experience, this isn't true. Telemarketers (at least in the US) are INSANELY anal about DNC. It simply isn't worth it to risk violating DNC. Granted, there are operations that ignore the rules, but the majority of firms are not like this.

People who care enough to go on the DNC list are not going to be receptive to you, and are more likely to report you. So it means your agents are wasting talk time with people who have straight up said "I will not buy your poo poo no matter what", AND you're risking $16,000 per violation. Doesn't make any business sense.

What I think a lot of people don't realize is that there are many exceptions to DNC. Anybody doing charity fundraising is totally exempt; they can call you as much as they want. Most will maintain their own DNC, simply because annoying people that have said they aren't going to donate is, again, not worth their time.

Businesses that you have any kind of prior relationship with can call you, even if you're on DNC, for 18 months after the last transaction. However, they have to stop if you ask them to put you on their DNC.

All political dialing and surveys are exempt.

In a way, the federal DNC list is useful, since it takes away a bunch of people that weren't going to buy your poo poo anyway. Means your agents are more likely to be talking to people that might buy something.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah I agree. We follow the federal DNC list and we maintain our own private one. If you really don't want to be called, just put your name down on it. Also if you're on the list and we call, it's because our list hasn't synced yet and/or you've just recently applied for DNC status. If that happens I will apologise and make sure to put you on the DNC list. We take that poo poo seriously, as another poster pointed out.

I don't enjoy this job and I don't plan to be here long. It's just a stepping stone for now. At least the pay is decent.

Rolleyes: If people turn up, there is not even a possibility that we can sell something to them. We might try and get them to have a one on one consultation, but that's about it (also that is free too).

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

Invis posted:

Yeah I agree. We follow the federal DNC list and we maintain our own private one. If you really don't want to be called, just put your name down on it. Also if you're on the list and we call, it's because our list hasn't synced yet and/or you've just recently applied for DNC status. If that happens I will apologise and make sure to put you on the DNC list. We take that poo poo seriously, as another poster pointed out.

According to donotcall.gov, it's up to 31 days; every 31 days, non-exempt organizations are required to sync to the federal list or they're in violation.

quote:

Rolleyes: If people turn up, there is not even a possibility that we can sell something to them. We might try and get them to have a one on one consultation, but that's about it (also that is free too).

His point stands that it's more likely than not a loss leader to try and get more business. The ideal end result is that someone goes to the free seminar, gets a free consultation, and then BUYS one of your products.

No business is going to do something out of the goodness of their heart- ESPECIALLY not somebody doing telemarketing. Maybe you're not selling to them, but along the line, someone from your company wants money from the person you're calling.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

No business is going to do something out of the goodness of their heart- ESPECIALLY not somebody doing telemarketing. Maybe you're not selling to them, but along the line, someone from your company wants money from the person you're calling.

Well yeah of course! But my point remains that when I say we are hosting a free information night, I am not lying. We don't take money from you for attending. We don't even pressure you to buy anything on the night. We merely teach about financial investment. If you happen to choose our company then great! If not, then it sucks for us but hey. At least you came along. That is the way I see it and the way I've been trained how things happen here. Of course we will want them to get the consultation afterwards and agree our company is best for their situation. That's how we get paid.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Invis posted:

Well yeah of course! But my point remains that when I say we are hosting a free information night, I am not lying. We don't take money from you for attending. We don't even pressure you to buy anything on the night. We merely teach about financial investment. If you happen to choose our company then great! If not, then it sucks for us but hey. At least you came along. That is the way I see it and the way I've been trained how things happen here. Of course we will want them to get the consultation afterwards and agree our company is best for their situation. That's how we get paid.

If we were interested in your product, we would be calling you. Don't bother me at home, or I will simply hang up.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

Nocheez posted:

If we were interested in your product, we would be calling you. Don't bother me at home, or I will simply hang up.
The reason we call people is many of them aren't aware that there are government incentives out there that can make investmenting much easier. That's why we hold the seminars.

If you don't want to be bothered by telemarketers so much, put your number on the Do Not Call register (or your country's equivalent). Also, as I explained earlier, you might hang up but it goes back into the system and you will be called again. I can understand you not wanting to be bothered at home, however that is not the best way to go about it unfortunately. Also when we call back, it isn't immediate. I think it takes ~48-72 hours for the number to go back into the system.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I gotta admit that if there is a Do Not Call mechanism in your country and you don't use it and you're hanging up on telemarketers them yeah, you're kind of being a dick. And you've got no-one to blame for your frustration but yourself for not taking the small amount of time to put your number on it.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I was called by a human at Chase and although it was only a follow up survey call, I still quickly said no thank you and hung up. These days everyone is on a cell phone and I don't want to spend any more time on the phone than I already do.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I gotta admit that if there is a Do Not Call mechanism in your country and you don't use it and you're hanging up on telemarketers them yeah, you're kind of being a dick. And you've got no-one to blame for your frustration but yourself for not taking the small amount of time to put your number on it.

Plus, most telemarketing companies maintain their own internal lists of "people who have bought stuff"; many of them will be very careful about how they dial those lists, because they don't want to risk pissing off people they've sold to before. If you don't want to be bothered by them again, but you don't want to be on the federal list (and assuming this doesn't fall under some other exemption), all you have to do is say the magic phrase "please put me on your Do Not Call list".

In the US, non-exempt organizations HAVE to do that, and most companies will do it anyway because they don't want to waste time on people that have said they aren't going to buy anything.

Just hanging up or being a dick to the guy on the other end wastes everybody's time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I have been doing this for far to long.

:corsair: I WANT THE BOX ON THE COMPUTER THAT YOU PUT THE COMPUTER IN. YOU KNOW, THE HOLDER.
:confused: I'm sorry sir, I don't understand what it is you are asking me to do.
:corsair: THANKS FOR NOTHING!

I think I figured out what he wanted, I just don't want to call him back. He obviously can't comprehend the smallest thing regarding a computer. I think he wants his email set up in a client on his computer (THE BOX, THE HOLDER) He wants the email to be held on his computer. I don't want to talk him through setting up an email client.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I hate doing online site troubleshooting because there are so many ways to inadvertently insult intelligence to try and get to the bottom of the issue.

The biggest landmine is making sure people typed the name of the website right. I can't do anything if you typo'd or misspelled the company name and are on some dumb parked domain with a bunch of bullshit links. :sigh:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Invis posted:

The reason we call people is many of them aren't aware that there are government incentives out there that can make investmenting much easier. That's why we hold the seminars.

If you don't want to be bothered by telemarketers so much, put your number on the Do Not Call register (or your country's equivalent). Also, as I explained earlier, you might hang up but it goes back into the system and you will be called again. I can understand you not wanting to be bothered at home, however that is not the best way to go about it unfortunately. Also when we call back, it isn't immediate. I think it takes ~48-72 hours for the number to go back into the system.

Just out of interest, how many times do you keep going after someone says "No thanks, not interested?" Because I have invariably been polite to people doing telemarketing, right up until I've told them twice that I'm not interested. I'm not sure what pressures these phone agents get put under, but if I've told them nicely twice that I have no interest in whatever they're selling and they keep going then they can gently caress off.

Recently I had someone call and ask for the previous owner of the house - told them they weren't here any more and hadn't been for two years.

"Oh, well perhaps I can interest YOU in..."

No. Just no. Straight away I know you're going to hit me with a sales pitch now and I'm eating my sodding tea. If I get a call from someone who doesn't care who they've managed to get hold of then I'm utterly uninterested in speaking to them.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Ugh.

What the gently caress is it with people always spelling their names. I don't need you to spell it, just say it. Or at least say it and spell it. And its not just people with weird names. I've had the name John spelled to me 3 times today.

And another thing aggravating me today. We have to read the customers home phone off to them to make sure it hasnt changed and our records are correct. What pisses me off is the customer interrupting me to rattle off their phone number. When I am already halfway through.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hahaha, I hate the "NAME RANK SERIAL NUMBER" people.

HI THIS IS JOE BLOW, 112 MAIN STREET, SOCIAL 123-45-4444, BIRTHDAY THE 4TH MONTH THE 7TH DAY 1953!

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

HI THIS IS JOE BLOW, 112 MAIN STREET, SOCIAL 123-45-4444, BIRTHDAY THE 4TH MONTH THE 7TH DAY 1953!

Especially when they didnt give me their account number at all, so I sit there, stare at my blank screen until they are done.

Okay, Mr. Blow. Can I have your account number?

-Yes, its 0987654321

Thank you. And now that I have your information up on my screen, can I have you reverify your address, dob, and ssn?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
New thing I'm pissed at this week: pushy dealerships.

They have no concept of anything beyond their commission. Privacy policy? PSSH. Contractual binding!? PSHAW!

"GEICO lets me call in and request information about someone without their permission, wtf!"

"You mean I can't remove a car and add a new car to this person's policy without you talking to them first!?"

"You can't document the VIN number because of contractual binding!?"

Suck a dead dog's dick dealership people.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

JackRabbitStorm posted:

What the gently caress is it with people always spelling their names. I don't need you to spell it, just say it. Or at least say it and spell it. And its not just people with weird names. I've had the name John spelled to me 3 times today.

I tend to say and spell mine, because my middle and last names could be spelled at least two different ways. Sometimes more ways, depending on just how badly the person misheard me.

People actually just spell it straight off? Because that's a bit weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I tend to say and spell mine, because my middle and last names could be spelled at least two different ways. Sometimes more ways, depending on just how badly the person misheard me.

People actually just spell it straight off? Because that's a bit weird.

I have a lot of people spell it straight off for me, but then again most of the people calling in are international doctors with hard-to-spell names, so it's pretty helpful. I always hate the other side of the coin, where someone with a complicated name/one with a lot of spellings starts bitching that you need them to spell it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

100000x better than,

"No, whats your date of birth?"

"Why should I answer that?"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Ugh.

Well to be fair, John can also be spelled as Jon. It is pretty annoying though when current customers do it as you have their name in front of you and are just verifying.

So starting this week the company that I work for (cable company) had my department stop taking retention calls and had us switch to sales/billing. Which in reality is billing/troubleshooting.

It is a nice break from retentions, but man people are just beyond dumb when it comes to hd tv's. 90% of my calls are people who call in screaming that their cable is out, when in reality they changed the input. They tell me they put it on channel 3 and are getting no picture. Most others call in upset that some channels have black bars on the sides.

If people would only take a few minutes to learn how to use what they are buying instead of just buying it because everyone else has one I would be a much happier person.

Also, the commision between the two departments is really bizzar to me. If I upgrade someone from just cable to cable/internet/phone in sales I make about $5. If I make one in billing, I get $85.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Harminoff posted:

It is pretty annoying though when current customers do it as you have their name in front of you and are just verifying.

Yeah, I should have specified, I am not actually typing their name in, just verifying. It was even more aggravating, last night near the end of my shift I had a customer that spelled his name, his street name, his city and his state. And then had me spell my name (first and last) back to him.

That's another thing that aggravates me. My company decided that we are not allowed to withhold personal information from the customers. If a customer asks the address of where I work, my first and last name, and my hours when I work, I have to give it to them. Slightly discerning since I frequently get to tell people they need to leave their house or be removed by sheriffs department. They get kind of angry and make all sorts of wild threats.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Maybe it is the way you are asking for it if you have that many people spelling it as I only have someone spell out their name maybe once a week.

Do you ask them to state their name?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

JackRabbitStorm posted:

That's another thing that aggravates me. My company decided that we are not allowed to withhold personal information from the customers. If a customer asks the address of where I work, my first and last name, and my hours when I work, I have to give it to them. Slightly discerning since I frequently get to tell people they need to leave their house or be removed by sheriffs department. They get kind of angry and make all sorts of wild threats.

WTF, tell them to gently caress off.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Maybe it is the way you are asking for it if you have that many people spelling it as I only have someone spell out their name maybe once a week.

Do you ask them to state their name?

"Hi, I have a question on my account" (or variation there of)

"Okay, and can I have your name please?" (never changes)

Ghostnuke posted:

WTF, tell them to gently caress off.

I wish I could. If I refuse to disclose the information, there is disciplinary action including losing bonuses, demoted, or fired.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

JackRabbitStorm posted:

"Hi, I have a question on my account" (or variation there of)

"Okay, and can I have your name please?" (never changes)

I wish I could. If I refuse to disclose the information, there is disciplinary action including losing bonuses, demoted, or fired.

Can't you just give like an employer id number or extension that will work just as well for their purposes?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I apologize to whichever one of you Verizon goons my co-worker is giving the business to. It's amazing how being on the phone turns nice, gentle people into raving loons.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Can't you just give like an employer id number or extension that will work just as well for their purposes?

We used to, up until about 7 months ago. Now, if asked, we need to give full name, even middle name if they ask for it, the address of where we work, and what days and times we work.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

Just out of interest, how many times do you keep going after someone says "No thanks, not interested?" Because I have invariably been polite to people doing telemarketing, right up until I've told them twice that I'm not interested.

I do it just once, if they persist in not wanting to listen then it's clear I'm not getting through to them so I just let them go.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Invis posted:

I do it just once, if they persist in not wanting to listen then it's clear I'm not getting through to them so I just let them go.

I would hang up on you at that point.

If I tell you I am not interested, and you keep pitching, your done. I will interrupt you to tell you to put me on the DNC, and hang up my phone.

Edit: Sorry, that came across kind of dick-ish. Wasn't supposed to be.

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 3, 2011

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Legally I think you are allowed to rebuttal twice when offering a single product.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 3, 2011

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Invis posted:

The reason we call people is many of them aren't aware that there are government incentives out there that can make investmenting much easier.

I hope this is actually what you tell them. :allears:

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Not much to rant about at the moment I'm afraid, unless you want a rehash of why our sickness policy sucks so much. I do, however, have a question. How do you guys preserve your voices so they don't get too badly strained? At the moment I'm having to spend half my day on the phone then going home 'sick' because there's no admin work for me to do when my voice finally does give out completely {I'm, currently trying to recover from a short, but nasty infection on my tongue that worked its way into my throat}. I don't like having to go home early when I know I can actually do some sort of work to finish out the day and actually build up some flexi time.

I know the Union I'm part of would probably be completely outraged by the above, but there literally is no admin work available due to cuts. I'm lucky that half days don't count for the majority of the time {unless it becomes a 'pattern'}, but like I said, I'd rather be productive for the whole day.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Invis posted:

Edit: I don't mind if you hang up on me. But be polite and at least listen to what I'm offering before you say 'not interested'. How can you be not interested if you don't know what we're offering? If you hang up before I get a chance to pitch, you WILL be called again because it's how our systems work.
What you're basically saying here is "I've interrupted whatever it is you may have been doing, and will continue to do so repeatedly until you let me finish my interruption"

Your employer is, in effect, a four year old child.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

Your employer is, in effect, a four year old child.
It's a good way to put it. If you want a simple and effective way of getting through a telemarketing call (at least where I work) just say "I'm sorry but I'm not interested. Oh by the way can you please put me on your DNC list?" It's quick and to the point. Say it after I've said "Hi I'm offering item x at y place but it's only for z people (where z = variables, such as how much you earn)". You don't come across as a dick then and the time wasted is minimal.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

Invis posted:

You don't come across as a dick then and the time wasted is minimal.

telemarketer calling somebody else a dick that is new

Consider it from their end- you're interrupting them in the middle of whatever they were doing to try and sell them something (shut up that is the end point of this seminar poo poo). Like someone else said, you're basically jumping in the middle of their day and saying HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME, then getting pissed off when they don't want to pay attention.

Cold calling requires a really thick skin, even if you're technically not selling anything. Most people don't care, and unless you're making commission, you shouldn't give a poo poo about people that tell you to gently caress off.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Invis posted:

Eh, I offer once and if they refuse a direct offer than I won't mention it again. I'm supposed to offer a rebuttal but there is no point, I don't want to harass people.

That said, I'm finding I'm an utter coward when it comes to refusing service to people. Its something I need to work at but so far my managers are happy with my performance. Perfect stats other than customer satisfaction where (not so strangely) my attempts at referring customers have ended badly.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

Consider it from their end- you're interrupting them in the middle of whatever they were doing to try and sell them something (shut up that is the end point of this seminar poo poo). Like someone else said, you're basically jumping in the middle of their day and saying HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME, then getting pissed off when they don't want to pay attention.
If you don't want telemarketing calls, put your number on the DNC list, it was created for a reason.
I'm not trying to sell them anything, my job is to try and get people to go to the information night. INFORMATION. Not SELLING. If they decide they want to learn about our investments they can make a booking afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Legally I think you are allowed to rebuttal twice when offering a single product.

This was one thing I hated in working call center. Using 'rebuttal' as a verb.

I always wanted to do things like ":flag: Personal foul - verbing a noun when the verb form already exists. 15 yard penalty loss of down".

When I left, I wanted to shout from the desktops "REBUTTAL IS NOT A VERB!"

You don't rebuttal, you rebut.

</pedantic>