Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BonHair posted:

I guess the sender makes the timestamp, relative to whatever timezone the phones believes itself to be in.

This, but I believe it depends on where the phone was registered, not necessarily what timezone it's currently in. I moved from the east coast of Canada to Alberta recently (and yes, the phone is set to the right time zone), and now I receive all of my Alberta friends' texts three hours "in the future." The odd text from my east coast friends are timestamped correctly.

My Blackberry doesn't know how to deal with it, so it just says "Received one minute ago" until three hours have passed. This only happens with SMS texts, though. I'm guessing their timestamping method is a little backwards or something. BlackBerry Messenger timestamps things just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

BonHair posted:

Whenever I get texts from China (I'm in Denmark), they'll appear to be in the future. I guess the sender makes the timestamp, relative to whatever timezone the phones believes itself to be in. Perhaps your friends hosed up their clocks or something. Or they are Nigerian scammers.

That doesn't really make sense. Her timezone is my time zone, she lives an hour up the road from me. It does it periodically with other people as well. All of us live in the US so it should be a maximum of a 3 hour difference if that were the case, it was 9 hours this time. I didn't note the difference any other time v:)v

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Are you using some kind of texting app or something? Sometimes those do all kinds of hosed up things with timestamps.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I need to find a servsafe qualified proctor near me for a test and the official site is kind of useless in helping me find someone nearby. Anyone have any suggestions?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just installed Chrome browser, and I like it so far apart from I can't close tabs by pressing in the mouse scroll wheel. I cant seem to find a setting. Somehow I haven't found answers on Google. Cheers!

Argh, it also doesn't open a new tab if I middle-click on a link.

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 2, 2011

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

henpod posted:

Just installed Chrome browser, and I like it so far apart from I can't close tabs by pressing in the mouse scroll wheel. I cant seem to find a setting. Somehow I haven't found answers on Google. Cheers!

Argh, it also doesn't open a new tab if I middle-click on a link.

My Chrome does both of these things. I use them regularly. Could be a problem with your mouse drivers?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Yes, make sure your mouse setting for the middle button is "middle button."

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Does anyone know how to find the license/the original author of a photo? Specifically this one

It's all over the internet, tineye has a ton of results but I can't find the source for it.

Broknmind
Oct 9, 2007
I wasn't sure where to post this at, and I don't think there's enough content for its own thread, so here I am.

I am somewhat into social media but I want to get more involved and wanted to provide entertainment to people who browse the internet all day like myself, looking for funny and somewhat original content to read to stay entertained throughout the workday. Thus, I have recently started a blog. I thought it would be fun to write about my own life experiences, since I lived (in my opinion)a Tucker Max-esque sort of adolescence. My question is: What makes a blog interesting? What writing styles are best to attract readers? I've been told that some of my writing is not detailed enough, and a bit cartoonish. I've also been told that it's very descriptive. Now I am turning to you Goons for help.

Anyone have any good pointers or constructive criticism on how to keep an active and interesting blog? Writing style tips, keywords that I should be using? Criticism is encouraged, constructive or not.

http://therealwonderyears.blogspot.com/

Broknmind
Oct 9, 2007

change my name posted:

I need to find a servsafe qualified proctor near me for a test and the official site is kind of useless in helping me find someone nearby. Anyone have any suggestions?

Most companies in the food service industry have employees within the company that are certified proctors. They are usually in the form of upper management or in the training department. Are you in the fast food or full service industry?

Also, the test can be pretty expensive, over $200 when I last took it in 2009. Usually if you're already employed by a food service company, they will pay for so long as you pass the test.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Sizzlechest posted:

Yes, make sure your mouse setting for the middle button is "middle button."

Oops, that sorted it. I didn't think of that because it worked fine in Firefox. Ta, Luv.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Broknmind posted:

Anyone have any good pointers or constructive criticism on how to keep an active and interesting blog? Writing style tips, keywords that I should be using? Criticism is encouraged, constructive or not.

http://therealwonderyears.blogspot.com/

You have a direct, conversational style without sacrificing too much literary tact, but your blog posts read as diary entries more than anything, albeit diary entries in the past tense.

If you're going for the Wonder Years style internal monologue, you're halfway there but you aren't really being introspective enough to be insightful. If you want the blog to read as interesting, you're going to have to really dig deep into the motivating factors for memories you describe. Try and work out why you were feeling the way you did, and how your emotions and motivations differ in your present mindset. That juxtaposition is what made the wonder years VO so insightful; the ability to look back in crystal clear detail on your youth and put it into a context at an age where you know better. Whether the end result is a fondness for your ignorance or just outright embarrassment, it will help the audience connect with their experiences as a teenager if they are older, and provide a stable, logical viewpoint for individuals reading that might still be in high school, experiencing these memories of yours on a daily basis.

Like I said, your writing is more prose than blog, which is refreshing, but I think you could take it a step further, really trying to paint a visual picture of that day. The more descriptive you can be, the more it will read like a story and not a blog post.

If that's even what you're going for. This is probably way too complicated of an analysis, but I've been sending out notes on scripts all week and I'm in that mode.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 2, 2011

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
e: nm, stupid.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 2, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Broknmind posted:

Most companies in the food service industry have employees within the company that are certified proctors. They are usually in the form of upper management or in the training department. Are you in the fast food or full service industry?

Also, the test can be pretty expensive, over $200 when I last took it in 2009. Usually if you're already employed by a food service company, they will pay for so long as you pass the test.

It's a full restaurant, it's just that they need 2 certified managers and the second owner is canadian so he can't qualify. The restaurant's going to pay for everything, the problem is that I checked around and can't find anyone (listed) that's nearby. I just need to take the test, and the community college near me only offers the full course.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Could anyone recommend a book with short, amusing stories about world history? I'm thinking of something like That's Not in My American History Book that draws from the history of the whole world.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will Cuppy is a pretty fun read. It's pretty much just about Europe from what I recall, though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Can I download music through itunes as MP3s, or am I forced to download everything in .m4a? It's been a long time since I bought anything through Itunes, I thought they "fixed" this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jackpot posted:

Can I download music through itunes as MP3s, or am I forced to download everything in .m4a? It's been a long time since I bought anything through Itunes, I thought they "fixed" this.

iTunes removed their DRM a while ago, but they've always served music files in the .m4a format (which is NOT an Apple-only standard)

Amazon serves plain ol' .mp3 files if you're so inclined.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

2508084 posted:

That doesn't really make sense. Her timezone is my time zone, she lives an hour up the road from me. It does it periodically with other people as well. All of us live in the US so it should be a maximum of a 3 hour difference if that were the case, it was 9 hours this time. I didn't note the difference any other time v:)v

My HTC Incredible on Verizon has recently started randomly jumping ahead in time at 12:00 (am and pm!) on different days. And by that I mean the phone's clock skips 5 hours ahead, so any texts sent or received during tat time are marked five hours in advanced, which can make conversations hard to follow once it switches back to the normal time (which it seems to do randomly, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes a few hours).

Haven't found a solution yet.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I don't really want to venture into the spoiler-ridden Portal 2 thread for this question: Will the game run properly on a 2010 MacBook Pro (i5 2,4Ghz, GeForce GT 330M, 8GB RAM) under OSX? Portal 1, Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 all run perfectly, but I'm not sure how much they upgraded the Source Engine for Portal 2.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
My work has vending machines and I always buy a (diet) soda with my lunches, it's one of my few vices and at .40$ a day it's not so bad I don't think. However, recently a second vending machine with Diet Snapple was introduced and I was wondering if it would be better for my health if I swapped over to that, both have no carbs/calories/anything really it seems, so I was hoping someone could weigh in on which is better for a person.

I am also a Type 1 diabetic and I consume a fair amount of Diet Soda because they have no carbs so it's less hassle, and the second vending machine got me thinking maybe tea would be better for me, if it is then I will probably start stocking it around the house instead of soda, so if I goon could educate me I would be very happy!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Snapple might actually have some vitamins in it, so that's better than soda, but they're both rubbish. Personally I'm a bit :tinfoil: about the replacement sweeteners used in diet drinks, too, so you may want to do a bit of research on the health implications of those.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah why not just drink water instead? Or flavored seltzer if you really need something fizzy

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Snapple might actually have some vitamins in it, so that's better than soda, but they're both rubbish. Personally I'm a bit :tinfoil: about the replacement sweeteners used in diet drinks, too, so you may want to do a bit of research on the health implications of those.
My folks are paranoid about replacement sweeteners too, but so much of what I eat nowadays has "sugar alternates" in it that I don't see any point in quibbling about it, in for a penny in for a pound. If it kills me one day that will suck. If I find in no uncertain terms that these sugar alternates are terrible for me I would stop consuming them of course, but according to my research (a few google searches) it's an undecided issue.

I do understand I would be much better off drinking water exclusively, but I just can't bring myself to cut the sodas and whatnot entirely, which is why I'm interested in what's best for me, or at least what is the "least worst" for me.

Broknmind
Oct 9, 2007

change my name posted:

It's a full restaurant, it's just that they need 2 certified managers and the second owner is canadian so he can't qualify. The restaurant's going to pay for everything, the problem is that I checked around and can't find anyone (listed) that's nearby. I just need to take the test, and the community college near me only offers the full course.

I'm not sure where you are located, but this site answers most questions. https://www.servsafe.com/

Depending on what state you live in, you may just be able to take your test online and they will mail you the certification.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lower NY near the city, can't just take the test online though because it requires a proctor. I'm probably just going to ask the owner who's already certified to sign up as one though.

The HOtel
Nov 12, 2007

Help! What is this tacky, horrible song I've been listening to all day?
I can't seem to identify it through Shazam, etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pyb8vpu0n1dvyrk

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

My work has vending machines and I always buy a (diet) soda with my lunches, it's one of my few vices and at .40$ a day it's not so bad I don't think. However, recently a second vending machine with Diet Snapple was introduced and I was wondering if it would be better for my health if I swapped over to that, both have no carbs/calories/anything really it seems, so I was hoping someone could weigh in on which is better for a person.

I am also a Type 1 diabetic and I consume a fair amount of Diet Soda because they have no carbs so it's less hassle, and the second vending machine got me thinking maybe tea would be better for me, if it is then I will probably start stocking it around the house instead of soda, so if I goon could educate me I would be very happy!

The tea will claim to have anti-oxidants and other supposed health benefits, but they're all dubious. You're already restricting carbs, so the need for antioxidants even if they were beneficial is probably moot for you. There is no compelling evidence that artificial sweeteners are harmful. There's some anecdotal evidence that they might stall weight loss, but since you're a type 1 diabetic, I assume weight loss isn't a concern.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
In multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets etc), does each foetus have its own amniotic sac, or do they share?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Sinking Ship posted:

My folks are paranoid about replacement sweeteners too, but so much of what I eat nowadays has "sugar alternates" in it that I don't see any point in quibbling about it, in for a penny in for a pound. If it kills me one day that will suck. If I find in no uncertain terms that these sugar alternates are terrible for me I would stop consuming them of course, but according to my research (a few google searches) it's an undecided issue.

I do understand I would be much better off drinking water exclusively, but I just can't bring myself to cut the sodas and whatnot entirely, which is why I'm interested in what's best for me, or at least what is the "least worst" for me.

If you go cold turkey and only drink water & lightly flavored seltzer for a while, soda and juice will taste too sweet. But if I have to choose, snapple is definitely tastier and marginally more nutritious than soda.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

madlilnerd posted:

In multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets etc), does each foetus have its own amniotic sac, or do they share?

If they are identical, then yes. If they are fraternal, then no. The amnion is derived from the egg, so the amount of "sharing" is limited to the amount of eggs there were to begin with.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

If they are identical, then yes. If they are fraternal, then no. The amnion is derived from the egg, so the amount of "sharing" is limited to the amount of eggs there were to begin with.

Since the question was not a yes or no question, can you elaborate on which option means 'yes' and 'no'? :)

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!
Identical twins/triplets/whatever will share a sac. This is because identical twins come from a single egg/sperm combo that splits into several babies. Non-identical twins/triplets come from distinct eggs that are fertilized by separate sperm, so they will form their own distinct sac.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golbez posted:

Since the question was not a yes or no question, can you elaborate on which option means 'yes' and 'no'? :)

Whoops, sorry! I was responding specifically to the "...do they share?" portion of the post. It's as Rhizoid said.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

Whoops, sorry! I was responding specifically to the "...do they share?" portion of the post. It's as Rhizoid said.

Aha. Thanks, both of you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Sometimes identical twins end up in separate amniotic sacs later into the pregnancy, by the way.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Is there some way that iTunes/iPods come up with the way they play songs? There's songs I have never, ever heard played on my iPod while it's on shuffle, but it'll play the same few songs over and over and over and over again.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

silversiren posted:

Is there some way that iTunes/iPods come up with the way they play songs? There's songs I have never, ever heard played on my iPod while it's on shuffle, but it'll play the same few songs over and over and over and over again.

I believe the ratings you give songs weights it. Wild hunch: Are the songs you hear over and over organized into albums and/or folders while the other songs are singular songs?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Rhizoid posted:

Identical twins/triplets/whatever will share a sac. This is because identical twins come from a single egg/sperm combo that splits into several babies. Non-identical twins/triplets come from distinct eggs that are fertilized by separate sperm, so they will form their own distinct sac.

I don't think this is quite right. As I understand it, pretty much only identical twins ever share one amniotic sac, but it is much more usual for them to have separate sacs. I'm going by this Wikipedia page. Having twins that share a sac is a high risk pregnancy.

Wikipedia posted:

Sometimes, monochorionic twins also share the same amnion. This situation occurs in 1–2% of monozygotic twin pregnancies
(monochrionic = sharing the same placenta, monozygotic = identical, coming from the same fertilized egg).

So the situations usually go like this, from least to most rare:
fraternal twins with separate placentas and separate amniotic sacs
identical twins with the same placenta and separate amniotic sac (roughly 75% of identical twins)
identical twins with separate placentas and separate amniotic sacs (roughly 25% of identical twins)
identical twins with the same placenta and the same amniotic sac (1-2% of identical twins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Can I use a straightening iron to iron my clothes?