Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

I wonder if they'll release the Ultima games one by one (I know, but who knows?) or just release the Ultima Collection from '97.

I would expect two or three packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chairman Pow! posted:

having a hard time getting on to the site, did they confirm the ultima series as coming to GOG?
Underworld is out right now, so I think it's safe to assume so.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chairman Pow! posted:

having a hard time getting on to the site, did they confirm the ultima series as coming to GOG?

Yep, in fact one of the first games on the site is Ultimate Underworld I & II.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vertigus posted:

NEAR MINT CONDITION!

*places bare CD on a kitchen countertop*

I once got a box with all the wing commander games in them, in the original boxes, with the manuals/old catalogs/everything for $20.

eBay owns, once in a while.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BadAstronaut posted:

I own a boxed version of SMAC that includes Alien Crossfire - big box, with manuals and big charts and all that poo poo. It has almost zero sentimental value to me. Is it worth anything to anyone?

Probably like $200.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I own a boxed version of SMAC that includes Alien Crossfire - big box, with manuals and big charts and all that poo poo. It has almost zero sentimental value to me. Is it worth anything to anyone?

Probably worth throwing up on SA Mart or eBay. The game itself was freely available on fan sites (linked in D&D) so obviously just playing the game wasn't worth anything to anyone before the GOG announcement.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sorry, since I can't get on the site, are there any neat extras with the new EA games? Or is it like, just manuals?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally you can buy the Ultima games again! And on GOG no less! :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Good thing I have VII:P1 on floppy disk in it's original box though. :smug:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Probably like $200.

That's about $200 more than it is worth to me. So, I will look into selling the thing when I am back home in December.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

The Kins posted:

Underworld is out right now, so I think it's safe to assume so.
Plus, there was that thing with EA sending C&D to sites hosting Ultima 4 which makes sense now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BadAstronaut posted:

I am a huge nerd and posted my first GOG review at http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_privateer
A little rushed, but hey, felt the game was worth banging out a few sentences for.

Browsing through the screenshots, it looks like GOG has finally figured out how to take screenies of low-res games without making them look like muddy poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BadAstronaut posted:

That's about $200 more than it is worth to me. So, I will look into selling the thing when I am back home in December.

FYI you probably should sell it before it comes out on GOG and the market collapses :ssh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh my. Not only did they deliver this time, but the new additions are reasonably priced. Well played, GOG, well played.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh my loving God, GOG, every stupid stunt you pulled has been vindicated. This is all I ever could have asked for.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Soooo glad it turned out to be EA. Planning to get Dungeon Keeper when the site is up. Does anyone know if it's possible to skip levels in DK? I remember getting to a stage which was unlike all previous levels which always killed my interest in the game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fag Boy Jim posted:

FYI you probably should sell it before it comes out on GOG and the market collapses :ssh:

Eh, if it's the complete boxed Planetary Pack, there's still a market out there to people who will pay gobs of cash to actually have cardboard and plastic in their hands. Thank God I grew out of that phase. poo poo gets expensive fast.

Also, I've wasted many days and nights on Papyrus's racing games. Someday. :hf:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

EA started work on a System Shock 3 a while back, but at some point they decided to make it an original game and it evolved into Dead Space. I wonder how much the supposed legal clusterfuck influenced that decision?

System Shock 3 with SHODAN (again) would be somewhat laughable because she becomes less of an insane imposing enemy and more of a joke after her schemes have failed twice already.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Weird that everyone keeps misspelling "IV" when they are listing the best ultima game ever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Poor overshadowed DotEmu. Their freebie week continues:

http://www.dotemu.com/en/dotemucom-celebrates-its-first-birthday-with-5-free-games

Hammerin' Harry is free today, and I'm probably going for Robinson's Requiem tomorrow. Warzone 2100 is already freeware, don't know what Dragon Breed is.

I keep telling myself I'm *not* going to buy Privateer and Dungeon Keeper until they're on sale.

e: GOG's site being down is losing them a small portion of the knee-jerk impulse buy market.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 2, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

System Shock 3 with SHODAN (again) would be somewhat laughable because she becomes less of an insane imposing enemy and more of a joke after her schemes have failed twice already.

They should have the balls to make a System Shock game that ends like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

glug posted:

Weird that everyone keeps misspelling "IV" when they are listing the best ultima game ever.

Misspelling it as VII surely? :downs:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Crusader is literally the only thing I cared about, super pumped about them getting it. Way back when GOG first launched I was one of the people who immediately submitted that game with the Wishlist feature. Bunch of other good poo poo on offer too, gonna get a bunch if them. It was a lot of hype, but this time they earned it.

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...
What's great about this announcement is the momentum it's going to give other publishers to get their back catalogs on GOG as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Psyched about Wing Commander. It's one of the few really beloved series of that era that I have never, ever played.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME
oh god, time to go see how much money I have to give them :suicide:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BadAstronaut posted:

I lose my poo poo for Ultima 6, 7 and 7.2 - but if I were to choose one... farrrk, Probably Ultima 7. Be prepared to take a LOT of time exploring and even manually writing notes. I had full-on A5 notebook full of conversation bits and pieces and thisses and thats to help me through the game when I first gave it a proper go way back in the 1900's.

Ugh, and Arcanum is making me baffled at some of the "what the gently caress am I suppose to do now?" decisions.

SpRahl posted:

Probably 6, 7 and 7.5, 5 is ok but I think the remake is loads better. Anything before 4 is pretty bad save for nostalgia.

Wasn't 4 more or less the first RPG where you could be as good or bad as you want and it would affect the outcome of the game?

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Hm. I only have experience with Dungeon Keeper 2. How good is the first one in comparison? Is it worth it by itself or should I wait for the inevitable release of the sequel? It was pretty tight.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wasn't 4 more or less the first RPG where you could be as good or bad as you want and it would affect the outcome of the game?

I never actually finished it, but I played hours of it a few months ago, and what I gather is you can be a complete poo poo head and do all sorts of stuff, but, once you get to a certain point, you need to become all good. This is easy by just showering hobos with loose change and going around telling people your real name to get truth points, so you don't have any consequences for your behavior. The end is always the same though, I think.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

4 was the first to introduce morality into a video game but you had to be good in order to beat the game. Or be ridiculously rich and "buy" your way to Avatarhood :).

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'd love to jump on this classic RPG bandwagon, but I've never played an Ultima game. And since Underworld is spun off from the middle of the series:
A) Will any references to the main line be lost on me, and
B) Is there anything in Underworld that will make the older games hard to play (improved features, etc)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Underworld is a completely different sort of RPG, so I imagine you'd be fine for the rest later.

Emo Businessman posted:

And is Ultima Underworld (1 or 2) completable without a walkthrough?

I'm hoping for an answer to this

So I just got Dungeon Keeper, and for some reason it's only using about 2 thirds of the screen in fullscreen mode. The bottom part of the screen is a black bar. Is that happening to anyone else?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So what are the chances that the Jane's Combat Simulation series will make it onto GoG? Wanna play these games again so bad.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Simply not possible. It's boxed in a garage somewhere about 15,000km from where I am now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Insert name here posted:

So what are the chances that the Jane's Combat Simulation series will make it onto GoG? Wanna play these games again so bad.

Just looking at some of the covers brought back a gush nostalgia. Wonderful, wonderful gone times. :qq:

Though, I was never actually any good at any of them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SpRahl posted:

4 was the first to introduce morality into a video game but you had to be good in order to beat the game. Or be ridiculously rich and "buy" your way to Avatarhood :).

Ahh. What was the first game that you could be as good or as bad as you want until the very end?

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

senae posted:

So I just got Dungeon Keeper, and for some reason it's only using about 2 thirds of the screen in fullscreen mode. The bottom part of the screen is a black bar. Is that happening to anyone else?

Look in the GOG.com Start Menu folder, find the contained Dungeon Keeper folder and select "Graphics mode setup". Select advanced settings and tick "keep aspect ratio". I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.

So stoked about Dungeon Keeper on GOG, oh man oh man

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, is the GOG version of Dungeon Keeper the Gold edition of the game, expansion included and 3dFX patched?

There's an unofficial third-party version of Dosbox out there with proper 3D acceleration support somewhere, if that's needed to make it all properly 3Dified.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The default speed on Dungeon Keeper might be a bit too fast depending on your hardware. You can use CTRL + F11 to lower the emulation speed until it's where it should be/you like it. CTRL + F12 will speed it up again. Personally I found the speed felt best at 35.000-40.000 cycles (game defaulted to 70.000)

Also, the mouse might be sluggish if you play it fullscreen, like there's some weird mouse acceleration that takes too long to kick in. Playing it in windowed mode sorted that for me. Lowering the desktop resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 will help with the small game screen. I'd play it full screen if it wasn't for the wonky mouse behaviour then.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Emo Businessman posted:

And is Ultima Underworld (1 or 2) completable without a walkthrough?
Ultima Underworld 1 was the first PC game I bought, on floppies before I'd even heard of the internet, and I beat it without too much trouble. There was a bad sector on my UW2 disks though :(

If you can get over the graphics, Ultima Underworld is still a great game, and as an early first person "open world RPG" (as open world as a game that takes place in one dungeon can be - there's progression going down but it's far from a get from level 1 to level 8 game) a direct precursor to series like Elder Scrolls. Also it had 3D movement before Doom even came out.

Here's a big hint to anyone playing it: There's a Ring of Leap hidden in a pile of junk outside one of the human areas (don't remember the level) that makes the few jumping puzzles much more bearable.

Threep fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
What the gently caress, gog. I looked at your site and eighteen dollars flew out of my wallet.