Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Tealeaf :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Don't forget Coupling! I'd put Game On on that list as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

wickles posted:

Tealeaf :(

Not watched it yet but oh god no!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Uhm...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I think for the most part any Americans that come into this thread asking for comedy shows isn't going to download fifty or so different series in the hope it's going to be like The Office or The Inbetweeners. Just watch Peep Show and read the thread, jeez.

I was pretty shocked at Psychoville. It treads the line between drama and comedy quite well, I think, as by now I actually hope the original cast survive between the jokes. I suppose it depends how dark they want to go but judging from their previous output I doubt it's going to turn out well. A lot of what I don't get about other comedy shows, such as Scrubs or Community, is that they go through all the rigmarole of trying to humanize characters through struggle yet having the actual chance the characters may die makes me invest more in the show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh, don't forget to add The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret to the list as well.

Also, Fawlty Towers. I'm still amazed I know a Major who acts just like the Major from it in real life.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Has anyone else completed the code on the Psychoville website? If not, the code is 8152118. When I click the unlock button, a loading screen drops down. I'm not sure if it's loading and will show something at a later date, or if it's just loading slowly for me. Can anyone verify?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Dicky B posted:

Sounds like a plan.

Updated list:

Sitcom
15 Storeys High
Alan Partridge
Blackadder
Black Books
Bottom
Extras
Ideal
The IT Crowd
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Getting On
Grandma's House
Green Wing
The Mighty Boosh
Men Behaving Badly
Nathan Barley
Nighty Night
Not Going Out
The Office
Only Fools and Horses
Peep Show
Red Dwarf
The Smoking Room
Spaced
The Thick Of It
The Young Ones

Black Comedy
The League of Gentlemen
Psychoville

Chat Show/Spoof
Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge
Man to Man with Dean Learner
Room 101
TV Heaven Telly Hell

Quiz Show
Have I Got news for you
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
QI
They Think It's All Over
We Need Answers
Would I Lie to you

Sketch Show
Armstrong and Miller
Big Train
Bremner, Bird and Fortune
Cowards
Fist of Fun
Jam
The Sketch Show
Smack the Pony
That Mitchell and Webb Look
This Morning with Richard Not Judy

Mockumentary/Spoof
Brass Eye
Come Fly With Me
The Day Today
Rich Hall's Fishing Show
Rich Hall's Cattle Drive

Review Show
Gameswipe
Newswipe
Screenwipe

Radio
The Goon Show
Just a Minute
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
Would I Lie to You

Dont forget Geordie shore.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

drat, Tealeaf was my favourite character :(

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Has anyone else completed the code on the Psychoville website? If not, the code is 8152118. When I click the unlock button, a loading screen drops down. I'm not sure if it's loading and will show something at a later date, or if it's just loading slowly for me. Can anyone verify?

I got it. The way they dropped the final number was great. As for the loading screen, I left it on a good long time and got nothing. I don't think we're getting any answers until the finale on monday.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Shadow Line was pretty great as well. Written by the same guy who did Marion And Geoff, who also played young Joker in the burton batman film :guardian:

I think the psychoville site just carries on Loading.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but if Tealeaf's gone I'll be irked. I always liked that he was the one sane character, the eye of the storm as it were. And his reaction to last week's Nazi basement was perfect.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive to the Spoof section. Criminally underwatched and underappreciated.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LE0N posted:

Dont forget Geordie shore.

You're getting confused. Geordie Shore isn't comedy, it's a hard-hitting drama touching on themes of isolation, social deconstruction, misanthropy and the nature of freedom. Gaz's quest to 'stick it' to one of the girls will go down in history.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
No-one has mentioned Look Around You for the list :(

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been watching Snuff Box again recently and that really is a fantastic bit of comedy. Matt Berry's voice could carry pretty much anything, but Snuff Box doesn't need carrying.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
How to piss off your Scottish girlfriend who hates Stewart Lee and considers Braveheart to be one of her fave movies ever 101: Make her watch Comedy Vehicle: Identity.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

How to piss off your Scottish girlfriend who hates Stewart Lee and considers Braveheart to be one of her fave movies ever 101: Make her watch Comedy Vehicle: Identity.
Ha, that routine is originally from a DVD that he filmed in Glasgow. He even deconstructs it in his book and talks about how he managed to perform this routine in front of a Scottish audience and get away with it, despite being English.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

justcola posted:

I was pretty shocked at Psychoville. It treads the line between drama and comedy quite well, I think, as by now I actually hope the original cast survive between the jokes. I suppose it depends how dark they want to go but judging from their previous output I doubt it's going to turn out well. A lot of what I don't get about other comedy shows, such as Scrubs or Community, is that they go through all the rigmarole of trying to humanize characters through struggle yet having the actual chance the characters may die makes me invest more in the show.

I know what you mean, the final scene with David's mum was one of the most emotional death sequences I've ever seen. I went into this show looking for laughs and I end up a sniveling wreck :(

devildriven
Oct 29, 2010
Added quite a few of my all time favourites to the list! Didnt include anything that i dislike though so there are still more. If people consider them funny that is...

Updated list:

Sitcom
15 Storeys High
2 Point 4 Children
Absolutely Fabulous
'Allo 'Allo!
Birds Of A Feather
Blackadder
Black Books
Bottom
Catterick
Dad's Army
Extras
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
Filthy Rich And Catflap
Friday Night Dinner
Game On
Getting On
Grandma's House
Green Wing
Hyperdrive
Lab Rats
Lead Balloon
Men Behaving Badly
Mongrels
Nathan Barley
Nighty Night
Not Going Out
Open All Hours
One Foot In The Grave
Only Fools and Horses
Peep Show
Red Dwarf
The Good Life
The Inbetweeners
The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret
The IT Crowd
The Mighty Boosh
The Office
The Smoking Room
The Thick Of It
The Thin Blue Line
The Vicar Of Dibley
The Young Ones
Saxondale
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Spaced

Black/Dark Comedy
Attention Scum
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Ideal
Monkey Dust
Night Night
Psychoville
Snuff Box
The League of Gentlemen

Chat Show/Spoof
Alan Partridge's Mid Morning Matters
Da Ali G Show
I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge
Man to Man with Dean Learner
Room 101
The Mary Whitehouse Experience
TV Heaven Telly Hell

Quiz Show
Al Murrays Compete For The Meat
Have I Got news for you
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
QI
Shooting Stars
They Think It's All Over
We Need Answers
Would I Lie to you
You Have Been Watching

Sketch Show
Armstrong and Miller
Big Train
Bremner, Bird and Fortune
Bo Selecta
Cowards
Fist of Fun
Harry Enfields Television Programme
Harry and Paul
Jam
Little Britain
Smack the Pony
Spitting Image
That Mitchell and Webb Look
The Catherine Tate Show
The Fast Show
The Sketch Show
This Morning with Richard Not Judy
Time Trumpet

Mockumentary/Spoof
Bellamys People
Brass Eye
Come Fly With Me
Rich Hall's Fishing Show
Rich Hall's Cattle Drive
The Day Today

Review Show
Gameswipe
Newswipe
Screenwipe

Stand Up
Is It Bill Bailey?
Live At The Appollo
Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights
Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle

Radio/Podcasts
7 Day Sunday
99p Challenge
Adam and Joe 6 Music
Armando Ianucci's Charm Offensive
Armando Ianucci Shows
As It Occurs To Me
Collins and Herring
Down The Line
Heresy
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
In Excess
Just a Minute
Lee and Herring
Lionel Nimrods Inexplicable World
On The Hour
Richard Herrings Objective
Sarah Millicans Support Group
So Wrong Its Right
That Mitchell and Webb Sound
That Was Then This Is Now
The Goon Show
The News Quiz
The Now Show
The Sunday Format
Vic Reeves House Arrest
Would I Lie to You

devildriven fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 3, 2011

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Last night's Shadow Line was ruddy brilliant if I do say so myself - certainly the best episode of the series to date. I would like to highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been watching, but I'm afraid you'd just be hopelessly lost if you picked it up now.

Plot spoilery discussion ahoy:

So it seems to me that Glickman and Ratten were both working for Gatehouse on whatever 'Counterpoint' is and they all seem to me like MI5 or government agents of some sort. For whatever reason something went wrong, Gatehouse sets up the plan for Ratten to get out of jail so he can kill him, Glickman realises he's next and scarpers off to Ireland. The question is since we saw Gatehouse at the police station when the young kid was let out presumably he was behind it - so then presumeably he is also providing the cash to the kid to buy the coke from Bede and the gang and advised him to bump off Harris? But why?

And on the copper side why was Patterson so furious that Gabriel didn't go to him before the Commissioner, then say if he did the case would still be open? Was he tacitly allowing Gabriel to investigate the case hoping to dig up dirt on the big boss, perhaps so he could get the top job?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

lionlegs posted:

I know what you mean, the final scene with David's mum was one of the most emotional death sequences I've ever seen. I went into this show looking for laughs and I end up a sniveling wreck :(

I thought that Oops Upside Your Head bit was truly bizarre, since I really didn't know whether to laugh or not.

I did a bit, though.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
That list is now worthless for the following reasons:

Hyperdrive
Lab Rats
The Catherine Tate Show
Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Since everyone has different tastes the list will, given enough time, encompass every comedy ever made.
Except My Family. That's just poo poo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I still think The Brittas Empire should be on there

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Anybody remember that one with Jasper Carrot as a builder and Meera Syal as his Asian wife and their son with cerebral palsy. Brave, funny and touching... were the three boxes it completely failed to tick.

All About Me. That's what it was called.

Don't add that to the list.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cerv posted:

Since everyone has different tastes the list will, given enough time, encompass every comedy ever made.

Which is why (once we have the list) we have to argue the poo poo out. The Catherine Tate Show and Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights are loving abortions, for example.

Burnistoun, on the other hand, is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZthGdjGX0E

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
I've seen (or listened to) very very close to 100% of the things on that list at some time or other, and done in the entire run of far too many of them. Even the terrible ones.

Anyone who takes that list at face value and goes off to watch things is getting trolled hardcore and will be spending a third of their time sitting stonyfaced / cringing or just shouting at the telly.

I mean, it's not that there's no room for bad things. What's objectively bad anyway? I'm sure that there's something for everyone, from the most to least discerning, in at least one small part of one episode in every single one of those. Except anything Walliams and Lucas have done since Rock Profiles, of course. Pair of cunts.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

lionlegs posted:

Was the shot of him carrying her in his arms a reference to 'Battleship Potemkin'?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I've edited the original post with this helpful and informative list of things people have at some point watched.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

The Catherine Tate Show and Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights are loving abortions, for example.

The Catherine Tate Show consists mainly of catchphrases, and is a prime example of how we can't seem to do good sketch comedy anymore in the UK. Even my once-almost-favourite Chewin' The Fat is actually just a series of catchphrases when you look at it objectively.

Tramadol Nights was just poor and disappointing. That and much of the CLiNT comic Rex Royd pretty much proved that unless Boyle is reined in by the constraints of stuff like Mock The Week, he just goes completely insane in a way that isn't really funny. There's a difference between edgy offensive comedy and just being offensive in general in the hope of being funny.

Also, Bo Selecta's on the list? It's basically the same catchphrasey show every week. One episode can be kind of funny, but having sat through a DVD of it with a friend (well, if you can call a person who makes you watch a whole DVD of Bo Selecta a friend), I can't stand it.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 3, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As I recall, the 1st series of Bo Selecta was okay when they were clearly taking the piss out of celebrities and celebrity obsession then afterwards they did a complete 360 degreee turn on their views instead and just poo poo out a load of catch phrase propped up nonsense.

Also, to the 'don't watch' pile, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie and Crapston Villas.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cerv posted:

And 2.4 children, which is the proto-My Family.

Nebulous, perhaps?
And if you're doing the Now Show, throw Mitch Benn's Crimes Against Music on there.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My girlfriend's mam made me watch 'the life of riley'. What the gently caress :stare: .

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Linda Smith's A Brief History of Timewasting

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Why don't you edit the list so that each person can put a tick or some sort of emoticon next to the ones that they'd recommend. Then the list would be sorted by how many people recommend it. Then people that want to watch British TV but don't know where to start can just go to the most recommended. And then shows that only one person likes(Catherine Tate, Come Fly With Me, Tramadol Nights, etc etc) will be shown as thus.

Done.

(Of course this would mean 3 more pages of useless posting of lists. So... Yep.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

I thought that Oops Upside Your Head bit was truly bizarre, since I really didn't know whether to laugh or not.

I did a bit, though.

This is why I absolutely love Psychoville. It's completely bizarre, but everything that happens makes sense in terms of the characters. Dave and his mom always celebrate by dancing, and she wanted Oops Upside Your Head played at her funeral, so it seems perfectly sensible to dance with her corpse. It's made even better when the absurd things are so emotionally destructive to the characters. I was almost in tears when Mr Jelly smashed his hand, Mr Jolly is a spiteful motherfucker.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Great Unanswered Questions for but not sure what category it belongs in. Also the infinite monkey cage for podcasts

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That list is becoming less useful and more bloated with every new addition. Like is any foreign person who wants to check out some British programmes going to go through a list of 50 things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it was a bad idea to begin with and is now a monstrosity