Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Good point. Seems like the players are totally boned here though.

I tried to warn you all, put off the ComGuard mission long enough and they die a horrible death. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
PTN, you have been reading far too many Dark Id LPs, I am afraid. Point Commander Caim^Hrn getting his murder on? What is next, "Star Commander Cairn is loving this poo poo"? :v:

I kid because I love, you and that LP

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
There's one option now.

Ramming speed with the dropship, firing the guns as it goes. Do a little bit of damage to the lola and then make them kill 3 clan mechs and 3 points of elementals. Because you're all going to die and the dropship is lost anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
With a re-inforced company I could take that star. A regular company? I have some choices to make.

KnoxZone posted:

And this is why we talked about Elementals in such a way.
People doubted us. They actually doubted us.
:doh:

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
Yay Elementals!!! It could be worse...could be the Ghost Bear Zeta Galaxy. All Elementals, all the time. Unless I did my math wrong, that's 1500 Elementals. Just to put things in a little perspective. Not that 15 Elementals is anything to laugh at in this scenario.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
I'm honestly disappointed in this mission. You basically rigged the vote to make the players take ComStar, then you throw them into a situation that, from my perspective at least, looks pretty damned close to unwinnable. If you insist on having a unit destroyed like this, why waste people's turns in the LP on it?

Maybe you have something else up your sleeve but from this spectator's perspective this mission looks like a waste of time and not worth seeing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Longinus00 posted:

I don't remember exactly and am a little too lazy to look it up but i'm pretty sure space infantry take extra damage due to being so vulnerable in space suits. Something like take double damage.

If true (and even if it isn't the odds are still pretty bad), if the ComGuard were to send out their infantry they would get the same results as trying to take down a Grizzly Bear with a plastic spoon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yakumo posted:

I'm honestly disappointed in this mission. You basically rigged the vote to make the players take ComStar, then you throw them into a situation that, from my perspective at least, looks pretty damned close to unwinnable. If you insist on having a unit destroyed like this, why waste people's turns in the LP on it?

Maybe you have something else up your sleeve but from this spectator's perspective this mission looks like a waste of time and not worth seeing.

We can't win them all. Yeah, the vote was basically rigged, but I think he's punishing us anyway. I'm sure the players will get some kind of minor recompence if they just get wiped off the map in 5 turns or something, but short of Jesus showing up (preferrably in his own power armor) you're absolutely right. The players are hosed and were from the start.

Best thing to hope for? It's a two part mission and this is just for the shock value of "Elementals will rape your face. With a giant claw hand."

[EDIT] But have faith, you know this isn't going to be the end of it, because PTN would never put the rest of you in a situation where I could legitimately say "I TOLD YOU SO!". Have faith, he's got something up his sleeve.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Angry_Ed posted:

If true (and even if it isn't the odds are still pretty bad), if the ComGuard were to send out their infantry they would get the same results as trying to take down a Grizzly Bear with a plastic spoon.

I'd imagine the elementals would have the same problems to though? A breach would expose them to vaccum.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah, but if all they do is eat one turn of fire from the Elementals, that's one round they aren't murdering a 'mech.

Deploy the infantry!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
They auto-seal. Harjel flows around the breach and then the suit pumps them full of stims. As mentioned earlier, dismemberment does not prevent them fighting (largely because they know they can just grow it back).

Really only some spectacular roleplaying decisions prevented the last Clan mission going this way. We were overdue for some pulsey butthurt.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

The good news:

1. ComStar infantry have very good armor so they take half normal damage.

The bad news:

1. Infantry in the open take double damage unless they're Jihad era killer cyborgs, and considering the quality of the mechs hoping for a bunch of TSM-equipped, dermal myomer Space Marines who are basically 2 meter tall mini battlemechs with implanted targeting cybereyes and poo poo like this was Shadowrun is a bit much isn't it?

2. Infantry in space take double damage as well.

3. Even if we assume they're using Mausers, they do 0.72 damage a dude. Give them some decent support weapons per unit so it gets closer to 0.80 or so. They'll do some extra damage (about 15 per 18 man sub-platoon) but not that much more.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Yakumo posted:

The mission was quite winnable until the Champion got murdered by bad luck, (any other location except CTR or head and it lives) and even now it is still a single TAC away from swinging back into their favor.

I also think the players really messed up these last couple turns. I would have had the players chase the Goshawk out of the other mechs LOS. Failing that, I would have at least focused my fire on the Guillotine.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'd imagine the elementals would have the same problems to though? A breach would expose them to vaccum.

Elementals have the same Harjel that the Clan 'mechs do. Instant seal and no vacuum problems.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I could take that with a Lyran assault company in terrain that provided limited opportunities for getting beyond 18 hexes. I used to fight that poo poo all the time on the Invasion mekwars server with level 1 Lyran tech. Lots of Ostols and Ostrocs backed up by Banshees and poo poo. But if they can just backpedal and outrange with LPLs there's not a lot you can do unless you're packing mainly LRMs.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

jng2058 posted:

They kicked some rear end during the FC Civil War and helped boot the Jihad off New Avalon. Yes, they didn't do much most of the time, but still, they're a Veteran Regiment all in Assault 'mechs. That counts for a lot.

And I don't disagree that you've got a pile of very good guns, but your 'mechs aren't as durable as mine save for the Rhino, and I outnumber you more than 3:1. Most of your machines are 4-6 or slower, so it's not as if you can even play the run away and stay out of range game for very long.

A few bad head hits from the ER PPCs and Guass rifles could ruin my day, of course, but barring unusual dice, I like my chances.

Oh, it'd not be easy, but I disagree about the durability. Great armor, Standard Engines on the Guillotine and Whammer IIC as well as the Behemoth, not to mention the CASE advantage. And everything jumps save the Whammer IIC, so mobility is still very much a factor.

I dunno. Perhaps I should look forward to fighting a series of MegaMek battles and possibly eating my words. I don't even like the Clans. :(

Arquinsiel posted:

With a re-enforced company I could take that star. A regular company? I have some choices to make.

I should clarify that I meant "in the Inner Sphere at this point in PTN's timeline," which is to say Level 1 stuff unless you want ComGuard.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

The mission was quite winnable until the Champion got murdered by bad luck, (any other location except CTR or head and it lives) and even now it is still a single TAC away from swinging back into their favor.

I also think the players really messed up these last couple turns. I would have had the players chase the Goshawk out of the other mechs LOS. Failing that, I would have at least focused my fire on the Guillotine.

Even if they don't puncture the CT, they're breaching something. The way I understand it from what I've read in this thread, the elementals always crit, and a crit always breaches, so the infantry will always take out at least a limb if they don't just kill the mech like that. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a huge advantage.

As for the players screwing it up, well, that's possible but I don't know enough about the game system to know how much that would have helped. I'm probably just overreacting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Merry Marauder posted:

I should clarify that I meant "in the Inner Sphere at this point in PTN's timeline," which is to say Level 1 stuff unless you want ComGuard.
I play 4th Deneb Light Cavalry, we're used to getting cast off mechs post-Civil War. Most of my unit is literally built from stuff I found lying in the bargin bins of stores so I've learnt a lot about making sure firepower counts, and oddly enough I tend to play with my friend's 2nd Robinson's Rangers more than my 4thDLC so the bouncy-bouncy short range mobbing is something I have down.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Yakumo posted:

Even if they don't puncture the CT, they're breaching something. The way I understand it from what I've read in this thread, the elementals always crit, and a crit always breaches, so the infantry will always take out at least a limb if they don't just kill the mech like that. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a huge advantage.

As for the players screwing it up, well, that's possible but I don't know enough about the game system to know how much that would have helped. I'm probably just overreacting.

Elementals get a crit roll, which is far from being a crit. A crit doesn't mean a breach either. Only TAC rolls of 10+ score a breach. It could have breached an arm, but mechs can survive without arms.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yakumo posted:

A critical chance doesn't always necessarily translate into a crit.

But more importantly: this turn the players split their fire between the two untouched mechs. Instead of focusing all fire on a single enemy. This is the path to failure. I should study the map more closely to see if they really could have gotten all their fire focused on one mech, but based on others' posts it seems like it was fairly possible to do that.

It's easy to be hard on the players, though... coordination between six goons in different time zones via e-mail is not always all that possible even in the best of circumstances. Throw in that some are new to the rules and game, too, and I can understand. Well, sorta.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yakumo posted:

That Champion hit was pure bad luck, but this is about the most nightmare scenario for elementals I could imagine. They almost always have cover and do enough damage to threaten breaches every turn. AND that's entirely too many large pulse lasers. gently caress LPL hard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This mission's also a two parter. :ssh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Assuming they make it to the second part.

I forsee a short three or four turns and then the next band of misfits gets thrown in!

Come on, I'm only something like five pilot seats away from clambering into my own mech! Crash and burn already! :argh:

Edit: Uh, but not too quickly if Comstar's going to throw another level II at the problem if the two-part mission goes through - I'd rather clamber into a mech not about to die to vacuum, if I have the choice!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 3, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

See? Called it. =P

Round 2 is a lance of Osiris against a Trinary of Elementals. With the terrain being akin to the ball pit of a McDonald's Play Place.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

the ball pit of a McDonald's Play Place.

Truly, the arena of champions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

I6 Champion Center Torso breached! I6 Champion destroyed by breach!

Welp. :black101: So what happened to the pilot? Ejected into space, pirouetting forever?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Part II is the last surviving mech in a game of chicken with the Lola III.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
This turn is prime evidence of why one does NOT want to fight Elementals, especially in space or underwater. That's very bad luck about the Champion being destroyed on what, turn 3? I can't help but wonder if the players would have been better off facing the STONE.RHINO. At least they can flank that thing.

On the subject of Elemental Point Commander Cairn, I'm really liking the Caim vibes I'm getting from him. I would not want to meet him in person, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of two parter is this?

Matrix I and II?
XCOM Terror From the Deep Cruise ship missions?

It's the second one isnt it?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

TildeATH posted:

Part II is the last surviving mech in a game of chicken with the Lola III.

"Part II: Level I vs. Lola III"?

Alternatively, "Intensify the forward batteries. I do not want anything to get through."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

What kind of two parter is this?

Matrix I and II?
XCOM Terror From the Deep Cruise ship missions?

It's the second one isnt it?

Let's just all pray it's not a Pirates of the Caribbean II kind of II, otherwise even the pulse lasers will get their own storyline.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's going to be Rambo First Blood: Part 2.

No, ComGuard isn't Rambo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

We can't win them all. Yeah, the vote was basically rigged, but I think he's punishing us anyway.

Not punishing you, exactly, but this has been growing steadily more difficult since the vote it was introduced. This was your last chance at it; and since the actual importance of this mission is extraordinarily high, not selecting it at all would've had hugely negative consequences.

So yes, I 'forced' people to vote for it, and still gave you the option of dealing with something else hugely important (at the expense of a fun joke mission created by a player).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Live footage of my Crab in action:

alternate version: http://i.imgur.com/JRikj.gif

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 3, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Zaodai posted:

It's going to be Rambo First Blood: Part 2.

No, ComGuard isn't Rambo.

No, it's going to be a sequal to the Reb Brown rippoff of Rambo.
Lots of yelling and gunfire.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

So yes, I 'forced' people to vote for it, and still gave you the option of dealing with something else hugely important (at the expense of a fun joke mission created by a player).

So it was a vs. Death Commandos mission, then!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

So it was a vs. Death Commandos mission, then!

I promise you right now... it wasn't.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PoptartsNinja posted:

I promise you right now... it wasn't.

Since the mission is never going to see the light of day anyway, can you post the details of what might have been?

Also, I am so glad we can call Elementals by their true names now.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 3, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Veyrall posted:

Since the mission is never going to see the light of day anyway, can you post the details of what might have been?

Also, I am so glad we can call Elementals by their try names now.

Hey now, we might get another crack at it on the next vote. There haven't been too many one and done scenarios out there. Hell, the ComGuard one has been there since the very beginning, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Veyrall posted:

Also, I am so glad we can call Elementals by their try names now.

I'm so glad we don't have to see those giant black rectangles anymore. I was starting to think I was on one of those websites my mother warned me about.

• Locked thread