Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Jadz posted:

I'm looking for a bit of instrumental metal music. The best example I've got (and one of my favorites) is The Crusade by Trivium. Eight minutes of really great guitar riffs and drumwork. It sounds very technical to me, and the chords all have an easy-to-follow structure and melody - like this song could have some awesome lyrics to go with it, but it doesn't need them, because it's just that badass :smug:

I've heard some other stuff from friends, but frankly a lot of it is just too chaotic. They sound like they're trying to prove how cool they are by playing random guitar notes as fast as possible with a literal wall of sound coming from the drums, and you can't make out anything intelligible.

Sounds a little spergy, I guess, but I like good metal music that I can understand, not just madness set to music.

Anyone know of anything worth listening to?

Check out Pelican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

fozzie dunlop posted:

Check out Pelican.

Listening to some of their stuff on Youtube now. Awesome! Thanks, would definitely be interested in more bands/music like this :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Jadz posted:

Listening to some of their stuff on Youtube now. Awesome! Thanks, would definitely be interested in more bands/music like this :)

Scale the Summit might be up your alley, too: http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Great+Plains/2gAnp9?src=5

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Scale the Summit might be up your alley, too: http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Great+Plains/2gAnp9?src=5

Both of these bands are amazing. Thanks guys :D

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jadz posted:

Animals as Leaders would probably suit you.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
AAL might be a bit on the technical side, based on what he's said.

Some instrumental stuff that comes to mind - Russian Circles, Talons, Cloudkicker (you can stream the lot at that link, and most of it's free to download). They're not all metal "strictly speaking," but they're heavy enough.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I'm constructing a spotify playlist to listen to during the revision period. It's mostly UK indie from 2005-2009. Easy to listen to, but not bland; either some interesting Lyrics or beat/tempo that can drum in my head as I study.

So far my playlist has:

This is an Emergency, and I found out by The Pigeon Detectives
Moving to New York, Kill the Director, and Lets Dance to joy devision by The Wombats
Love it when you Call, Kettles on, and Anyone by The Feeling
America, + In the Morning by Razorlight
Somewhere only we Know, + Bedshaped by Keane.

Obviously these songs arn't all similar, but they share some familiar traits that i'm too ignorant about music to identify. Anyway I'd be really happy if someone could reccomend some further songs that fit into this sort of Indie List. cheers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I recently found Chambao, which is a Spanish group that mixes flamenco with electronic/chillout. Here are two songs-

Ahí Estás Tú
Pokito a Poko

I am looking for anything that sounds similar to this, basically electronic music with flavors of something more traditional. I already know a few other groups that do this with bossa, just looking to find more.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

kloa posted:

Animals as Leaders would probably suit you.
I appreciate the recommendation, but they seemed a little more blues-ey or pop-ey than I'd like. I'm looking for something a little heavier :shobon: EDIT: Even some of the Scale the Summit stuff is a little too...light, now that I'm getting a little deeper into their albums. A lot of it is really good, though.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

AAL might be a bit on the technical side, based on what he's said.

Some instrumental stuff that comes to mind - Russian Circles, Talons, Cloudkicker (you can stream the lot at that link, and most of it's free to download). They're not all metal "strictly speaking," but they're heavy enough.

This stuff is great. I especially like Russian Circles' sound. Thanks :) EDIT: Cloudkicker is extremely awesome too. I love the guitar work on Beacons.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 25, 2011

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for anything that sounds similar to this, basically electronic music with flavors of something more traditional.

It's way more upbeat than your examples but Nortec Collective does something similar with Norteño music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tX_HDMmLpA

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Femur posted:

I recently found Emilíana Torrini, and I was wondering if there are any similar artists out there. I just really found all her albums to be very enjoyable and love her voice and just her sound I guess. I especially liked the Fisherman's Woman and Love in the Time of Science albums.

You might like Belleruche, Regina Spektor, Emily Wells, Martina Topley-Bird, Andreya Triana.

Jadz posted:

Sounds a little spergy, I guess, but I like good metal music that I can understand, not just madness set to music.

You might like some of the post metal out there: Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Year of No Light, Tides from Nebula, Kollwitz, Waters Deep Here.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

eithedog posted:

You might like some of the post metal out there: Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Year of No Light, Tides from Nebula, Kollwitz, Waters Deep Here.

Some of that is pretty drat epic. I'll add 'em to my general metal playlist, thanks :D

Suoinoleht
Jul 10, 2008

heh
I'd like to expand my taste in wankery beyond Rush, Yes, and Dream Theater. I've looked around for a lot of similarly categorized artists and haven't found anything that stands out. I also like a lot of metal from Iron Maiden/Metallica to Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica, but I find that when I listen to more metal-oriented prog it becomes too repetitive or messy for me. Bonus points for good, technical drums, which can sometimes make or break a group for me.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Okay so I loving love Trippple Nippples. Am I crazy? probably. what else sounds like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jTyauHumo

crashnburn254 posted:

Well there is YACHT, although you probably already know of them if you know The Blow.
oh man, the first time I heard a YACHT was when a cute girl in the art studio was playing it and it was like an instant supercrush for both her and them

Hooplah posted:

Good loving luck. These guys are like my favorite band, but I've never found anyone quite like them. So I guess I'll second this request :)

on second thought, I suppose 31knots and UUVVWWZ are the closest bands I can think of to (newer) Deerhoof but really they're not THAT much alike.
I can never find anyone who shares my enthusiasm for deerhoof!! I went to see them open for WHY? and I think I was the only one there primarily for them. I gave Satomi Matsuzaki a poster with a dog playing basketball that said BASKETBALL GET YOUR GROOVE BACK and then they played it :3
I've heard of neither of these guys, I'm digging both of them. thanks!!

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I've been liking Pantha du Prince and I've been liking Burial lately. I know the two aren't quite the same, but I'm sure you can see the similarities. What else should I check out?
Kind of obvious but if you haven't already check out some old-school dubstep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMR5K2QWfJk

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Evans Blue kicked out their singer before their last album, and I don't really like their new sound. Parabelle, where the singer went, has a mediocre band backing the singer, so I don't really like them. The most recent A Perfect Circle album was generally disliked, and they've been on hiatus for a while with no album actively being worked on. 10 Years changed their sound, and while I like the direction they've taken, I miss where they've been.

Are there any bands that are similar to older Evans Blue (The Melody and the Energetic Nature of Volume, The Pursuit Begins When This Portrayal of a Life Ends), the first two A Perfect Circle albums (Mer de Noms, Thirteenth Step), and the first three 10 Years albums (The Autumn Effect, Division, Killing All That Holds You)? I also enjoy the similar band Earshot, but it's not as alternative. My problem is that there's a lot of music classified alternative rock, but I have trouble finding a similar sound.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Suoinoleht posted:

I'd like to expand my taste in wankery beyond Rush, Yes, and Dream Theater. I've looked around for a lot of similarly categorized artists and haven't found anything that stands out. I also like a lot of metal from Iron Maiden/Metallica to Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica, but I find that when I listen to more metal-oriented prog it becomes too repetitive or messy for me. Bonus points for good, technical drums, which can sometimes make or break a group for me.

i'm assuming you've at least listened to a King Crimson track or two, but did you check out the albums Red or Lark's Tongue in Aspic? both feature the ridiculously talented Bill Bruford on drums, not to mention some heavier songs.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Suoinoleht posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3284041

Not the most popular thread, but there are some great prog recommendations tucked in there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any bands that do music like the Santogold parts of After Party by Lonely Island, or the Ronnie parts of Ronnie and Clyde also by Lonely Island?

I guess that's kind of super specific...

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I've just picked up Fruit by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour and I love it to bits. Can anybody recommend similar bands? Around the Bend is awesome.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

SwiftTheFox posted:

Camera Obscura: Phil Spector Wall of Sound girl group meets indie pop from Scotland
http://youtu.be/O3CkfvYMCWM

loving hell that's beautiful.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any bands that do music like the Santogold parts of After Party by Lonely Island, or the Ronnie parts of Ronnie and Clyde also by Lonely Island?

I guess that's kind of super specific...

...the Ronnie parts? So a guy mumbling over hip-hop/r&b beats?

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande
Can someone recommend me some artists that sound like the part in The Loney Island - I'm On A Boat (ft. T-Pain) where T-Pain says "I hosed a mermaid"?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

laughterhouse five posted:

Can someone recommend me some artists that sound like the part in The Loney Island - I'm On A Boat (ft. T-Pain) where T-Pain says "I hosed a mermaid"?

T-Pain's entire discography.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

...the Ronnie parts? So a guy mumbling over hip-hop/r&b beats?

No the part where Rihanna leaves and he gets all confident and the lyrics are funny.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I'm looking to anything similar to the part of this song beginning at about 1:25:

Hey Sexy Lady by i SQUARE, remixed by Skrillex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMdXOqq3WL4&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s

I've tried to find songs that sound similar but I haven't really had much luck. I also have no idea how to describe it to anyone. :confused: I guess I'm looking for dubstep with a loud, noisy drop? I think? I am pretty bad at music terminology and still pretty confused about what the definition of dubstep actually is, because every time someone recommends a song to me it sounds wildly different from the next.

Thank you!

Stench Of Profit
Mar 21, 2011

by I Ozma Myself
You're looking for brostep; Skrillex, Borgore, Excision, Datsik, Tomba are some of the bigger names i can think of doing the style you're looking for.

The reason you're getting mixed recommendations is because dubstep has/had a far different sound and the over reliance on bass wobbles and drops only developed in like 2007ish and is only really popular in the US as opposed to the UK. Most of the people who were listening to dubstep before that despise the new stuff and kinda took it as a signal that it was time to move into other directions (well, at least that's my interpretation). This is all discussed in the UK Bass music thread at length, on like every page, haha.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Hi, I've got another request.

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ZakAce posted:

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers.

In This Moment

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ZakAce posted:

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.

You should check out IWRESTLEDABEARONCE. The music might not be for you but her vocals should be heard....the harsh vocals at least. I'm not a big fan of her clean singing, it sounds like a bad impression of Bjork. Her harsh vocals make me wet.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ZakAce posted:

Glass Delirium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSy7YQ5GFbU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

ZakAce posted:

kloa posted:

In This Moment
I absolutely second this. ITM is fantastic.

Also, you might like Lullacry, Within Temptation, Straight Line Stitch, Walls of Jericho (who had one of their albums produced by Corey Taylor of Slipknot/Stonesour, if that makes a difference to you) and possibly some of Otep (see below).

The first two are far more similar to Lacuna Coil. WOJ are...a little unique, I can't really think of another band to compare them to. Stonesour with a chick singing? Anyway, they did a pretty kickass cover of House of the Rising Sun. SLS is much more like Arch Enemy or In This Moment, lots of awesome chick-screaming and growling. Otep is a little more like Arch Enemy, too, with lots of angry screaming and heavy music, but she also has a lot of wierd tracks that I just don't care for. You'll have to pick through her stuff to find the great (Ghost Flowers, Confrontation) amongst the not-so-great (T.R.I.C.), but she's worth having a look at.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 31, 2011

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ZakAce posted:

For Arch Enemy, http://www.last.fm/tag/melodic%20death%20metal (only Arch Enemy is female-fronted, but I don't think it's relevant since Angela Gossow sounds like any other melodeath vocalist). If you try In Flames, make sure it's earlier In Flames rather than later. Actually that goes for just about any band you'll find there.

And for Lacuna Coil check http://www.last.fm/tag/female-fronted%20metal as well as the various symphonic metal and gothic metal tags.

Bannock
Feb 3, 2008
Rocking the Reservation in Stereo.

ZakAce posted:

Flyleaf considered too poppy to you?

All around me and I'm so sick are a couple of my favorite from them

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I'm trying to get into Sun Ra but his discography is so drat vast I have no idea what to check out. His funk/disco stuff sounds the most interesting to me, but I'm also into jazz as well. Someone give me a handful to listen to I guess.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I'm trying to get into Sun Ra but his discography is so drat vast I have no idea what to check out. His funk/disco stuff sounds the most interesting to me, but I'm also into jazz as well. Someone give me a handful to listen to I guess.

get the Heliocentric Worlds series & Atlantis then go backwards & forwards in time from there

Stench Of Profit
Mar 21, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I really like Sound Of Joy and Atlantis.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I've just started listening to Bauhaus. It's not really similar to anything I've listened to before but I really like them, especially Bela Lugosi's Dead and their cover of Ziggy Stardust. Any suggestions?

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm hosting my first BBQ at my new apartment on Sunday. What kind of music can I play that's not Creedence Clearwater, Bruce Springsteen, and Eric Clapton. Their will be a good mix of young and old. I mostly listen to metal so I'm a bit lost as to what to play.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am interested in funk that is heavy on tricky bass like the Glide by Pleasure.

On top of that specific request, I'd like a list of really good funk bands I might not find if I google "funk bands," particularly any that have a heavy focus on future/space themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I'm looking for composers like Arvo Part. I am really in love with his Tabula Rasa and Fratres pieces and would like any music that sounds like that. I am familiar with Philip Glass and Steve Reich already.