Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
loving hurt my back yesterday. Hoping it's just a muscle being an rear end in a top hat, gonna train tomorow if it feels right.

I'm on an injury streak right now, I get to injure myself every 3 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
All you guys are making me feel like a little bitch for complaining in practice about having some tennis elbow from somebody trying to muscle an armbar.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

it is.

Personally, I always wear black gis to rebel against my teenage years of always having to wear white, which is an ugly color on me. No true believer judoka, or karateka have challenged me to a duel yet, but I have hopes.

We could always dramatically stage a duel, post it on youtube, and enjoy the comment shitfest that ensues :smug:

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

Illegal Username posted:

There is always http://www.happykimonos.com/.

I swear i'm going to try tie dying my own kimono some day.

I've already bought the dyes :-)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

loving hurt my back yesterday. Hoping it's just a muscle being an rear end in a top hat, gonna train tomorow if it feels right.

I'm on an injury streak right now, I get to injure myself every 3 weeks!
Hah, welcome to my life. I was terrified I had a fracture but the xrays proved otherwise, just some muscle spasming out. Even after one session of physio is it 80% better. He pumped some electricity into the muscle for 20 mins and then rubbed it a bit, and it was close to perfect again. I have to remember to breathe OUT when I hit the canvas, not IN like an idiot, lest my shoulder blade digs hard into my muscles.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thoguh posted:

All you guys are making me feel like a little bitch for complaining in practice about having some tennis elbow from somebody trying to muscle an armbar.

Yea seriously, I have carpel tunnels and was thinking about pussying out of BJJ for a month to recover, but then I hear Adolfo's story and I need to train, to kinda make up for his lack of being able to do so :(

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I got mounted by a judo dude :(

I swept him afterwards but I still feel dirty for letting it happen in the first place.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

Smegmatron posted:

I got mounted by a judo dude :(

I swept him afterwards but I still feel dirty for letting it happen in the first place.

Side control or full mount? I can easily see a good judoka starting in side control. Lots.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Full mount :(

He wasn't there long, but still.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

Full mount :(

He wasn't there long, but still.

If he didn't finish, then no harm done. Mount only sucks when people know what they are doing there. No embarrassment there. Alternatively, "You were practicing your mount escapes :colbert:"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I feel bad about interrupting Gi-chat because it's goddamn hilarious, but I have a stupid question to ask.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about a month and a half and my swing kick is crap. I think it's mostly because it hurts so loving bad when I hit the bag so I subconsciously flinch at the last minute. Would something like this ankle support thing help? I've also been getting shin splints from all the jumping rope so I'm guessing it would help with that too?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't know what a swing kick is (like a roundhouse?), but I wear ankle supports when I workout. They usually have little to no padding and are pretty much there just so you don't roll/sprain your ankles. I think to get your kicks better you probably just have to harden up and deal with it. You should get used to it eventually. Kind of like getting hit in the face.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I've also been getting shin splints from all the jumping rope so I'm guessing it would help with that too?

Stretch your calves before running or jumping rope

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

If he didn't finish, then no harm done.

Our gay sport.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I bought a new Gi just before leaving NYC, so I've got a pair of old white judo pants, and I'm going to colour the gently caress out of them.

Also, for my Megurubuddies, appearently it's a week old, but there's a new update, and it's loving awesome!

edit: link: http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/2010/05/30/all-rounder-meguru/

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I feel bad about interrupting Gi-chat because it's goddamn hilarious, but I have a stupid question to ask.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about a month and a half and my swing kick is crap. I think it's mostly because it hurts so loving bad when I hit the bag so I subconsciously flinch at the last minute. Would something like this ankle support thing help? I've also been getting shin splints from all the jumping rope so I'm guessing it would help with that too?

Are you landing your kick in a way that causes your foot to extended on impact, and thereby aggravating your ankle? You might want to try striking more with your shin, and less with your foot if that's the case.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It is supposed to hurt incredibly loving bad. However, you shouldn't be hitting with your ankle. Hit at least 2 inches higher up your shin. It's going to hurt like a bitch for quite a while.

Also, think about taking calcium supplements.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Our gay sport.

If there was no eye contact, it can't possibly be gay.

Aeneas
Jun 27, 2005

Historia est vitae magistra

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This is what you want http://www.fairtex.com/Fairtex-Standard-Shin-Pads-p/sp1.htm they offer great protection and you can use them for sparring when you get to that point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't think you need to wear pads while kicking the bag. The ankle support is good so that if you aim wrong and land too low, your instep will be covered. You need to toughen and desensitize the shin over time. After a while, you'll be able to take the ankle support off.

Also look for the softest banana bag that's free. Kick higher up to avoid the settled material at the bottom of the bag.

e: it is possible that you overturn your hip so much that your outer ankle hits the bag. Yeah, that's turning over too much.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 3, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Was hitting the heavy bag today at YMCA because I'm back at my parents with nothing to do and I had a guy tell me I shouldn't use gloves while hitting the bag. Apparently I should use dumbbells instead because it, "makes your hands tough and you punch way faster" :downs:

This man was also karate chopping the bag before I started working on it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dirp posted:

Was hitting the heavy bag today at YMCA because I'm back at my parents with nothing to do and I had a guy tell me I shouldn't use gloves while hitting the bag. Apparently I should use dumbbells instead because it, "makes your hands tough and you punch way faster" :downs:

Make sure to ask him plenty of questions with a very serious face and tell us the hilarious answers he gives.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Make sure to ask him plenty of questions with a very serious face and tell us the hilarious answers he gives.

Specifically, about the usefulness of crescent kick disarms and takedown defense.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Those are actually really good, I just use it as an all purpose compression band, be it elbow, ankle, shin or knee.

Dirp posted:

Hate to say it, but how is he wrong? Slow repetition of strikes with a weight will make your striking faster, striking without gloves will toughen up your knuckles and knife hands are like any other strike, have to be practiced on a resistant surface in order to get your hands used to absorbing the strike.

Gloves are for the protection of your hands and wrists.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 3, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Adolfo Castro posted:

Those are actually really good, I just use it as an all purpose compression band, be it elbow, ankle, shin or knee.

Hate to say it, but how is he wrong? Slow repetition of strikes with a weight will make your striking faster, striking without gloves will toughen up your knuckles and knife hands are like any other strike, have to be practiced on a resistant surface in order to get your hands used to absorbing the strike.

I know of people that use weighted gloves and what not but that usually kept to like ~2 pounds. I'm guessing this guys meant like a 10 pound dumbbell which would lead to shoulder injuries like whoa. Hitting the bag with any kind of force with an unprotected fist is just asking for bloody broken knuckles.

You're right about practicing knife hands though.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adolfo Castro posted:

hands are a little more complex and vulnerable than the shinbone. kyokushit produces more arthritis patients than power punchers.

striking with dumbells will work your muscle endurance, wouldn't just regular training in 16oz gloves work toward punching speed anyway?

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Paul Pot posted:

hands are a little more complex and vulnerable than the shinbone. kyokushit produces more arthritis patients than power punchers.

striking with dumbells will work your muscle endurance, wouldn't just regular training in 16oz gloves work toward punching speed anyway?

Personally, I agree in that bare knuckle punching is stupid, especially later in life.

I've seen resistance striking with weights and bands, here's an example with kettlebells.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUSIAHQK5CQ

I have to admit I do sometimes incorporate that movement into my kettlebell routine, although don't find it beneficial, the exercise does exist though.

KidDynamite posted:

I know of people that use weighted gloves and what not but that usually kept to like ~2 pounds. I'm guessing this guys meant like a 10 pound dumbbell which would lead to shoulder injuries like whoa. Hitting the bag with any kind of force with an unprotected fist is just asking for bloody broken knuckles.

You're right about practicing knife hands though.

If he met with force, then yes he's an idiot, or at least...misguided. But then again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM66iDKyu_Y Iron Rings are pretty much just that.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 3, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I'd be kind of pissed off if I saw someone punching the bag with a dumbbell in my gym. That's not gonna contribute to the longevity of the bag. I suppose it is better than air punching though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

At my boxing gym someone punching the bag without gloves would be considered an idiot. Someone punching the bag with weights in their hands would be dragged into the parking lot and put down

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What's the deal with cultivating calluses? I keep tearing skin off my hands while grabbing gi's. The top of the third joint of each finger is constantly covered in scabs, will it be detrimental if I moisturise them, or should I cover them in tape, or what? I want to encourage them to get more callus-y, they're just not getting enough time between sessions to completely heal up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What's the deal with cultivating calluses? I keep tearing skin off my hands while grabbing gi's. The top of the third joint of each finger is constantly covered in scabs, will it be detrimental if I moisturise them, or should I cover them in tape, or what? I want to encourage them to get more callus-y, they're just not getting enough time between sessions to completely heal up.

Get some cloth sports tape and tape that poo poo up. It's still going to hurt and bleed a little but not as much.

The two things in my first aid kit are icy hot and sports tape-- if one or both of those things won't heal it, the only things left are time or surgery.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Guitarists use rubbing alcohol to dry out their calluses. I think using a moisturizer is counter-productive

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainScraps posted:

Get some cloth sports tape and tape that poo poo up. It's still going to hurt and bleed a little but not as much.

The two things in my first aid kit are icy hot and sports tape-- if one or both of those things won't heal it, the only things left are time or surgery.

Seconding this other than the Icy Hot part. Biofreeze 4 life.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Thoguh posted:

Seconding this other than the Icy Hot part. Biofreeze 4 life.

Biofreeze is great poo poo but tougher to find.

If you ever find an Advocare person, SoothEx is AMAZING.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I'm currently in Pensacola, Florida, and I've been looking for a place nearby where I am (gulf breeze) to train. There's a couple of McDojos in the area, and this is my first encounter with this phenomenon since I did ninjitsu in my early teens. There's a family karate place driven by a very intense middle aged man with eyeliner who looks like he's incredibly high on coke, populated by mostly kids and old men and a terrible stick-figure like aikido instructor who looked more like a ADTRW goon than a martial arts black belt (wide black pants and all), and a tae-kwon-do place with more teenage black belts than there were members (paradox)-- at least the TKD sparring sessions looked pretty active, so if nothing else I'm sure they have great cardio--

But my biggest disappointment was a traditional jujitsu club some five minutes away from where I'm staying. I was told about this place by the taekwondo instructor. It was kind of interesting- as soon as I told him my BJJ/JJ background he seemed completely disinterested in having me join the class like he'd been pushing for prior in our conversation, and was only too eager to tell me where I could find a jujitsu club, so away I go. I spent maybe 30 seconds looking at this jujitsu class before I left. It was an overweight older lady teaching standing wristlocks to fat kids and retirees. This was apparently what represented a fusion between krav maga and DRAGON GOD jujitsu :(

There's apparently a gracie jujitsu place in Pensacola proper, but it's 20 minutes away by car, and being that I don't have a car or my driver's license (and that there is no public transportation in the city), I guess I'll have to make do with cardio. Which is fine, really, I ought to be running more anyway.

(ps: I know this post makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat. I know not everyone is looking for a martial art where they leave half the classes bleeding and/or in pain.)

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
That's totally understandable. If you have even a little background with martial arts, you spot bad places right away. When I moved, I ended up looking for a place to practice for a couple months and all the well advertised places were offering something I wasn't interested in.

I finally found the dojo I practice at now. I stumbled over it in a complete accident. It was in a non advertised location all the way at the end of an alley in an industrial part of town. The place was a group of dedicated people who know each other well and have been practicing together for many years.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Check how you're gripping; I used to have more developed calluses when I first started out, because I was gripping people really really hard all the time. How are you gripping?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bohemian Nights posted:

terrible stick-figure like aikido instructor who looked more like a ADTRW goon than a martial arts black belt (wide black pants and all)

A lot of dojo use hakama instead of black belts to show who's a teacher and who isn't. There's nothing goony about them; they're a part of the aikido uniform. I might be misreading your comment though.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Today, I learned a valuable lesson in Judo. Make sure the guy who takes your registration does not put you in the open weight when you only weigh 210.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Today, I learned a valuable lesson in Judo. Make sure the guy who takes your registration does not put you in the open weight when you only weigh 210.

If it's a smaller tournament that'll happen a lot. Though the tournament direction should have okay'd it with you before he combined the weight classes.

Besides, fighting the big guys is fun. I'm up to 250 at the moment because I'm a lazy fatass who doesn't train as much as I'd like, but when I was 215 or so I won just as many or more tournaments at +100kg than I did at -100kg.

• Locked thread