Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penthesilea
Sep 5, 2008

yoohoo posted:

I didn't see this earlier with the other "celebrities hanging out with other awesome celebrities" pictures.

Edit: color me a nice shade of corrected.

Penthesilea has a new favorite as of 19:57 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cobalt impurity posted:

You're stationed to a new base in the Antarctic. It's completely snowed in. You are a doctor and notice your appendix has probably already burst. (it had) is very close to bursting. You are the only doctor on staff.

You man the gently caress up and remove your own goddamn appendix. :black101:

details:
http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/serge/rogozov-1964.pdf

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

Penthesilea posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy in the middle is a very young Robert Downey junior.

Considering John Cusack is listed in the IMDB credits and Robert Downey Jr. isn't, I'd say you're wrong.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Sunday Punch has a new favorite as of 15:13 on May 27, 2011

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Useless Rabbit posted:

Considering John Cusack is listed in the IMDB credits and Robert Downey Jr. isn't, I'd say you're wrong.

The real reason Robert Downey, Jr. went into rehab: the drugs were making him look like John Cusack.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Sunday Punch posted:

What exactly is going on here? I've never seen fire lash out like that. Was it a column of smoke that had a load of flammable particles?

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

Wahad posted:

What exactly is going on here? I've never seen fire lash out like that. Was it a column of smoke that had a load of flammable particles?

It's a tornado that probably hit some sort of fuel and got lit.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wahad posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_whirl

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea that was a thing that could happen.

Content:

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Wahad posted:

God just really loving hated that house.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

yoohoo posted:

I didn't see this earlier with the other "celebrities hanging out with other awesome celebrities" pictures.

Far right is Charlie Sheen I say?

Content:
With all this posting about Lidstrom a few pages ago, I cannot believe no one brought up Yzerman. The man constantly came back from battling injuries, most notably his knee and this beauty pictured below. The man was a true bad-rear end.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuKce4hLB7U

Vital Signs has a new favorite as of 18:13 on May 27, 2011

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

Far right is Charlie Sheen I say?

Say what you like I guess but it's definitely HST with John Cusack and Johnny Depp

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

YJT posted:

Say what you like I guess but it's definitely HST with John Cusack and Johnny Depp
Yeah, I believe you're right. Just a tough angle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mr-Spain posted:

Gun trucks are awesome.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

:black101:

I'd love to be like 2.30m tall and have huge hands just so I could dwarf anyone and anything else. A man can dream... A man can dream :allears:

Well you can always put your hand on your dick.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Pros: Posing for things with things in your hands.

It's like a Joe Madureira drawing came to life

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
More HST

The Good Doctor.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

All right, Tinkerbell. You're nicked!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sunday Punch posted:

I like to think this guy is going, "Well...poo poo."

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

He looks pretty nonchalant about it to me. Probably sees Infernadoes all the time.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
That's probably his own house and he just heard all his jiffypop going off at once.
"Dammit, I just bought those!"

Johnny Digital
Apr 29, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

All right, Tinkerbell. You're nicked!

Greatest line I heard from that show: "We're the Sweeney, and we haven't had any breakfast." Ridiculous and badass.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

joneswt posted:

He looks pretty nonchalant about it to me. Probably sees Infernadoes all the time.

"If I light a cigarette with that thing, I'll be a legend..."

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

Edit: I just found Peter Jackson's Facebook page and he's answering 20 fan questions about the upcoming Hobbit films. Question one was "Are we going to see the White Council attacking Dol Guldor?" and in reply was:

quote:

I'm not going to say just what and when, but I will confirm that both the White Council and Dol Guldur will feature in the movies. And not just in one scene either. Just how to visualise it has been a challenge, but fortunately Alan Lee and John Howe went crazy with ideas, and it should look pretty cool.

In fact to celebrate the start of these 20 questions, I'll show you an exclusive photo of the White Council planning the attack on Dol Guldur! Even if you don't want to be hit with spoilers, you should still take a look. For the first image of Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel brandishing an array of fearsome Elvish weapons, CLICK HERE!

:black101:

dinozombiesgoRARR has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jun 2, 2011

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dead Jedi posted:

That looks pretty photoshopped. Which is too bad, as the picture itself would be good enough.

Glitchdj
Mar 20, 2007
I like milk

Volcano storms really are the ultimate display of doom :devil:

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I know I'm a day late, but

:911:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quote:

A construction worker dangling at the end of a crane pulled Patricia from the currents just below the dam, after nearly 30 minutes of being pulled under by the surging currents.

Crews used a crane from the nearby construction site in the rescue.

A worker was strapped to the end of the crane's line and lowered into the river just below the dam. He was able to pull Patricia from the swell and hang on to her until a nearby rescue boat could pull her to safety.

A rescue boat nearby wasn't able to get close enough to the dam to grab her on its own.

"Our crews tried multiple times to get close to her, they couldn't," said Capt. Steve Brown, of Des Moines Fire Department. "That crane operator pretty much saved her life."

http://www.kcci.com/r/19907227/detail.html

FCKGW has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Jun 8, 2011

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Raimundus posted:

Thinking about this still makes me poo poo my pants. I can't even imagine what that would have been like.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

HandsomeBen posted:

Thinking about this still makes me poo poo my pants. I can't even imagine what that would have been like.

I always loved this picture because you can actually see just how loving far every troop still had to go before they made it off the beach. In pretty much every D-Day movie I've ever seen the first wave lands during high tide and aren't more than 50 yards from the bluffs, when in reality there was several hundred yards of totally open ground that you had to trek across while being shot at with automatic weapons. Oh and you also were carrying so much poo poo that it was pretty much impossible for you to do anything but stroll casually toward German fortifications.

To contribute, probably a repeat but I just love pictures of Project Excelsior. There's something so awesomely human about jumping from a balloon several miles up just to see what the hell would happen.

Boner Zone has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jun 8, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HandsomeBen posted:

Everyone should watch the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan and then realize that it was almost certainly at least a 1000 times worse in real life.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Raimundus posted:

There's a reason they called it the greatest generation.

I think this fits here, too:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Third Man posted:

There's a reason they called it the greatest generation.

I think this fits here, too:

Here's a link to the super-huge version:

http://dontclickthis.whatingods.name/shuttle-iss.jpg

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chile's got a good ol' fashioned volcanoin' going on!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Before:

After:

They're remaking The Dambusters, apparently (but altering the now politically-incorrect name of the dog).

Nothing sounds quite as awesome as a Lancaster going over.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

FCKGW posted:

Chile's got a good ol' fashioned volcanoin' going on!

Here is the (a?) source:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/06/volcano_erupts_in_chile.html

You see that on the ground? That's not snow he's walking on that's coating the rooftops and fogging the distance. It's volcanic ash.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raimundus posted:

Here is the (a?) source:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/06/volcano_erupts_in_chile.html

You see that on the ground? That's not snow he's walking on that's coating the rooftops and fogging the distance. It's volcanic ash.

This might be a silly question but how the hell do they clean that all up and when they do, where do they dispose of all that ash/debris? Or is it as simple as it just washes away in the rain?

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE

Some Africa-land lightning.
I love lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

Tracula posted:

This might be a silly question but how the hell do they clean that all up and when they do, where do they dispose of all that ash/debris? Or is it as simple as it just washes away in the rain?

I worked in Alaska a couple years back sweeping up ash (in similar amounts there). The big piles don't wash away quickly so we swept/shoveled them (the poo poo is heavy) and dumped them in piles. A lot of people take it for gardens or for collecting as well, which helps

• Locked thread