Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well I might have sold my steam account so that solved a lot of backlog problems from my side. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

Well I might have sold my steam account so that solved a lot of backlog problems from my side. :3:

Are you hurting that much for money? My contract just finished and I'm looking for a new job (interview tomorrow as a matter of fact). I still couldn't sell my Steam account. I'm sure I'd regret it later.

I used the random steam game website and it gave me Racettear which I played a while. I did it again and it gave me Star Wars Jedi Academy. I remember playing Jedi Academy and some (or all) Jedi Knight II. I did a quick google to find the chronology of the games. I just did the first level of Dark Forces. Man I'm so nostalgic about the controls and graphics. Also needed colored cards for certain doors!

Got the latest version of Dosbox and using some custom configs along with the hq4x scaler to smooth the graphics. From Snes emulation testing, I found that it's a good compromise between pixelated graphics and too blurry when you try to smooth it even more.

Now, seeing if I can finish the first game!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2011

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Hemish posted:

Are you hurting that much for money? My contract just finished and I'm looking for a new job (interview tomorrow as a matter of fact). I still couldn't sell my Steam account. I'm sure I'd regret it later.

I used the random steam game website and it gave me Racettear which I played a while. I did it again and it gave me Star Wars Jedi Academy. I remember playing Jedi Academy and some (or all) Jedi Knight II. I did a quick google to find the chronology of the games. I just did the first level of Dark Forces. Man I'm so nostalgic about the controls and graphics. Also needed colored cards for certain doors!

Got the latest version of Dosbox and using some custom configs along with the hq4x scaler to smooth the graphics. From Snes emulation testing, I found that it's a good compromise between pixelated graphics and too blurry when you try to smooth it even more.

Now, seeing if I can finish the first game!

Speaking of, anybody know how long Dark Forces takes to complete, roughly? Also looking at tackling that after I finish Descent (which I'm having a blast with, btw. Highly recommend to anybody who has that in their backlog)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Shamefully, fell again. Dragon Age Origins for 2.5 bucks was too good to not take advantage of.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Just did this myself. Spent about £8 on all the DLC for DOWII after spending nearly £10 on the German upgrade-mod for HoI3... Gah, can't stop buying things.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Lamacq posted:

Speaking of, anybody know how long Dark Forces takes to complete, roughly? Also looking at tackling that after I finish Descent (which I'm having a blast with, btw. Highly recommend to anybody who has that in their backlog)

Google says it's very short with only 12 levels. I did the first two in 0.7 hour.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hemish posted:

Google says it's very short with only 12 levels. I did the first two in 0.7 hour.
Also check out this website, someone linked it in a Steam thread or something a while ago (it says 7 hours): http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gamename=Star%20Wars:%20Dark%20Forces

It's all user submitted so in some cases they could be lying, but there are generally multiple submissions to average out, and there are ton of Steam games on there!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Luisfe posted:

Shamefully, fell again. Dragon Age Origins for 2.5 bucks was too good to not take advantage of.

But it wasn't no Steam so it doesn't count, right? :ohdear:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Hemish posted:

I can't call it hurting for money; but I do not have an income at the moment (still a student though so school is covered by svings and parents for now)
I just had a lot of games I never ever wanted to play and i got a nice deal on it so that even if i eventually rebuy the stuff i wanted to keep on sale id still have a lot of it left.

Also I am some sort or moron or something but i didnt like staring at all those never-played games cluttering up my steam account. it's me I have ocd.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished The Ballad of Gay Tony bringing the episodes to an end. Spent about 12 hours on each but they are not 100% or anything close.

Perhaps Mirror's Edge will be next as I hear it's pretty short. I feel I'll get a lot more done if I start with the short ones.

No one has any tips on grouping steam library's?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Well I just finished The Ballad of Gay Tony bringing the episodes to an end. Spent about 12 hours on each but they are not 100% or anything close.

Perhaps Mirror's Edge will be next as I hear it's pretty short. I feel I'll get a lot more done if I start with the short ones.

I do it by genre association but if I have 4 or more titles of a series, I give them their own specific grouping.

So I have Action/Adventure, Shooter, Puzzle, RPG & Strategy for most games but then groupings of Half-Life, Sam & Max, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, etc since all those titles came in packs and putting them in my genre folders creates a lot of clutter.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Red_Fred posted:

I'm so close to being done with this! It's been on my list for like a month and a half, but I got distracted my 204 hours of RIFT (which I think I'm done with now) and some Terraria (my most recent shameful purchase).

Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great but I'm having some technical issues with slowdown (particularly while driving) that screwing with the graphics settings don't seem to really fix. It's not unplayable, just annoying.

As far as grouping goes, I just use favorites (like 5 games I play a lot, TF2 etc.), and currently playing (my 1 game I am supposed to be playing) and leave everything else in a mass except a small hidden section of things I don't want in my list.

I tried genres but it's tough to know where to put some things and it caused more problems than it solved.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I have a fair bit of success with genre grouping, with Favorites being used for the stuff I'm playing now. That said, I think you need to group games based on the games you have, as opposed to based on the genres you might normally think of.

For inspiration, here are my groups (If something could go into multiple groups it goes into the most specific one):
  • 2D action (e.g. Altitude)
  • 3D action (e.g. AaAaAA!!!, Burnout Paradise, BG&E)
  • Adventure (e.g. Ben There, Dan That!)
  • Anaglyph (e.g. XInvert Z)
  • Arcade Puzzler (e.g. Peggle)
  • Arena Shmup (e.g. Geometry Wars)
  • Breakout (e.g. Shatter)
  • FPS (e.g. DOOM 3)
  • Non-arena Shmup (e.g. hydorah)
  • Non-game (e.g. Portal 2 - The Final Hours)
  • Non-Realtime Level Puzzler (e.g. RUSH)
  • Old FPS (e.g. DOOM 2)
  • Open-Ended (e.g. GTA3, Oblivion, Garry's Mod)
  • Assorted Platformers (e.g. Super Meat Boy)
  • Realtime Level Puzzler (e.g. Braid, Portal)
  • Rhythm (e.g. Audiosurf, Rhythm Zone)
  • Short (e.g. The Typing of the Dead, Octodad, Gravity Bone)
  • Strategy (e.g. Civ IV, Plants vs. Zombies)
  • Telltale Adventure (e.g. Sam & Max 203)
  • TPS (e.g. Max Payne, Hitman, Dead Space)
  • Unclassifiable (e.g. YOU DON'T KNOW JACK, Killing Floor)
  • Visual Novels (e.g. Umineko)

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Hi I'm Chief Savage Man and I have way too many Steam games. Because I am unemployed and most of my friends have moved away from New Jersey, I have a lot of time between now and the end of August to get some serious gaming done.

I have organized my backlog into two categories. Games that I haven't finished are in Not Finished, games I haven't even started are in Not Started. I have a currently playing section that consists right now of AC2, F:NV, EU3 and Darkest Hour. The Unfinishable section consists of open-ended games that have no real end or multiplayer games. When I either beat a game or stop enjoying it (like how I stopped enjoying Crysis) I will move it to finish. If the game turns out to be garbage, I will move it to Games I Don't Care About. To keep myself sane I will keep my staple games EU3 and Darkest Hour in the Currently Playing section. F:NV will likely be a long term thing so my goal right now is to finish Assassin's Creed 2 and then move from there into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I may also install Crysis: Warhead and play through that as it seems like that is pretty short.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

helopticor posted:

I have a fair bit of success with genre grouping, with Favorites being used for the stuff I'm playing now. That said, I think you need to group games based on the games you have, as opposed to based on the genres you might normally think of.

I agree. Mine only work because my backlog is <100 games with a considerable amount coming from poo poo like the Sam & Max episodes and all the Half-Life mods and poo poo. Action/Adventure is a pretty big net but works since I have like 10-11 games that in it and two of them are Batman AA.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!
I categorise through genre, although I'm not as specific about it as helopticor. I also have an online category, which I try to keep closed to avoid too many distractions, and a category for finished games.

The only Steam game I've got on the go at the moment is Fallout: New Vegas, but I'm trying to finish off Fallout 3 completely before I go back to it. I'm also part way through Psychonauts, but that's on GOG and not Steam.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Substandard posted:

I'm so close to being done with this! It's been on my list for like a month and a half, but I got distracted my 204 hours of RIFT (which I think I'm done with now) and some Terraria (my most recent shameful purchase).

Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great but I'm having some technical issues with slowdown (particularly while driving) that screwing with the graphics settings don't seem to really fix. It's not unplayable, just annoying.

As far as grouping goes, I just use favorites (like 5 games I play a lot, TF2 etc.), and currently playing (my 1 game I am supposed to be playing) and leave everything else in a mass except a small hidden section of things I don't want in my list.

I tried genres but it's tough to know where to put some things and it caused more problems than it solved.

Some of that slow down can be alleviated by closing your browser. I found that if I left Firefox open while playing I would get more pronounced slow downs and eventually the game would go from 40-60 fps to 25 and stay there until I closed it. I would still get some jittery behaviour from it jumping from 40-60 fps at time though.

Yeah that's the grouping I might go with actually. I want a group for the game I'm meant to be playing.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My groups are favourites for games I'm currently playing or want to try and finish, "Completed" for games I've finished, "Money's Worth" for things I've bought cheap and played through enough to consider it worth my while, "Multiplayer" for games like TF2 where you can't really finish them and "Started" for games I've yet to finish but would like to. Oh, and "Never Finishing" which contains about 20 games that are poo poo and I likely won't touch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chief Savage Man posted:

Hi I'm Chief Savage Man and I have way too many Steam games. Because I am unemployed and most of my friends have moved away from New Jersey, I have a lot of time between now and the end of August to get some serious gaming done.
If you really want to knock off a big chunk, you could play through the Sam and Max episodes back to back. They're fun, fairly easy, and each around 3-4 hours long. There's a lot of continuity too, so it really feels like you're playing one average-length game, but actually knocking 6 titles off your list. The downside is they can be a little repetitive, Season 1 especially tends to recycle areas a lot, but Season 2 started mixing it up a lot more.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
**Oh hey wrong steam thread woops!**

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 2, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you really want to knock off a big chunk, you could play through the Sam and Max episodes back to back. They're fun, fairly easy, and each around 3-4 hours long. There's a lot of continuity too, so it really feels like you're playing one average-length game, but actually knocking 6 titles off your list. The downside is they can be a little repetitive, Season 1 especially tends to recycle areas a lot, but Season 2 started mixing it up a lot more.

Good idea, that whole chunk makes the list seem so much more daunting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

- Favorites
- Now Playing
- To be Played
- Victory
- Wasteland

That what I use.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm now using something similar to most of you. I have:

- Favorites. For what I'm currently on.
- Combined Launcher. For things like addons etc which you don't actually run.
- Finished.
- Multiplayer/Endless.
- The rest just stay in Games.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

- Currently Playing
- New (bought but never touched)
- Unfinished (started but never finished)
- Finished
- Unfinishable (games that cannot be 'finished' in the traditional sense, e.g. Civ 4 and Audiosurf)
- Online (online-only games)
- Garbage (poo poo I'm embarrassed to own)

In other news:

Assassins Creed 2 is done. Put about 30 hours into it, and got 100%. Great game, lots of fun overall (although the "kill target without being spotted" missions can eat a dick). Can't remember the last time I've played a singleplayer game that stayed interesting for this long.

Just now, I also finished FEAR2. Maybe I've manned up a bit since I played the first part, but I found it to be far less scary than FEAR1. The thing where Alma jumps on top of you is pretty scary the first time, but it lost all impact by the fifth time she did it. The story is disappointing too, it's mainly just rehashing the themes of the first game, and the ending is a big anti-climax. Combat's cool though, and some of the areas were extremely cool (the streets in particular), so it wasn't a waste of time. Probably going to complete the DLC later today, not going to bother with the 'chieves (mainly because a lot of them are about online mode, which is pretty much dead).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
One episode of Sam and Max down. When I get back from lunch, I might start another one or maybe get some more progress done in AC2. Or maybe both!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After playing through the rest of The Dig yesterday, I figured I'd post in this thread. The Dig was a thoroughly excellent game, and I'm glad I finally got around to playing it. I have a ton of other purchases to play through, but I think I'll start with Freedom Force and it's sequel.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Is it weird that I was really bummed to find registrations closed for Backloggery when I first discovered the site and now excited to get a Backloggery account tomorrow? It's like making a game out of playing my games... which is eerily similar to how my mother got me to clean up the house as a kid.... and now it doesn't seem so much fun..... gently caress.

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010
Don't forget that The Backloggery is opening its registration tomorrow. It's great for showing off your giant backlog to all your friends, I guess.

e: beaten :)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Tooetoo posted:

Don't forget that The Backloggery is opening its registration tomorrow. It's great for showing off your giant backlog to all your friends, I guess.

e: beaten :)

I want to use it to track my games. Categories on Steam are the worst thing ever. An intern would do a better job.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

KFCB posted:

I do it by genre association but if I have 4 or more titles of a series, I give them their own specific grouping.

So I have Action/Adventure, Shooter, Puzzle, RPG & Strategy for most games but then groupings of Half-Life, Sam & Max, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, etc since all those titles came in packs and putting them in my genre folders creates a lot of clutter.

I do something similar, though I go by developer for certain ones (iD, Valve) and any games that might be associated with their franchise (eg, Half-Life: Blue Shift). Tech Demos and Mac versions go in games, at the bottom, while anything I'm currently playing or play regularly goes in favourites.

http://i.imgur.com/TsTfJ.png

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

KFCB posted:

Is it weird that I was really bummed to find registrations closed for Backloggery when I first discovered the site and now excited to get a Backloggery account tomorrow? It's like making a game out of playing my games... which is eerily similar to how my mother got me to clean up the house as a kid.... and now it doesn't seem so much fun..... gently caress.

Haha, no you're not alone. But now I need to think of the perfect username...

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

:toot: Backloggery is open for registration! http://backloggery.com/register.php

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I want more people in my multitap that play pc games so im going to leave my backloggery link here:

http://backloggery.com/Zedd

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Me too!

http://backloggery.com/Zat

(Added you, Zedd, you're my first :3:)

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
http://backloggery.com/chrisasmadi

Here's mine, gradually chugging along adding my Steam games list.

Null is for stuff like EU3 and TF2 that has no end, right?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mine is http://backloggery.com/Hemish

I can't seem to find an option to add you from your page. I'll have a look in my account options. The website is so slow! I'm curious how many new people are swarming in! Actually it's not working for me most of the time.

Edit : Oh! I found a very small "add to multitap"!

Edit2 : Yeah the website is timing out. I only managed to add you guys and add one game. Everything is non responsive now.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 3, 2011

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Added you four; http://backloggery.com/MrRight

I've had no time outs but it is running slow.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It is indeed pretty slow now.
Also I liked their older style better; this one does have more functions though.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Man this is a bit sad. I won't have one single completed game I think. I don't care at all for achievements or getting 100% in a game like GTA or Batman : Arkham Asylum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Hemish posted:

Man this is a bit sad. I won't have one single completed game I think. I don't care at all for achievements or getting 100% in a game like GTA or Batman : Arkham Asylum.

My completed ones basically consist of adventure games that once you've beaten them, you're pretty much done.