Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

EazyBreezy posted:

The ongoing joke about NAGA, at least here in FL and GA, is that you basically have to sandbag because everyone else is already sandbagging. I went to a few NAGAs in Atlanta and a few different spots in FL and the amount of sandbagging was pretty ridiculous, especially at the higher weights.

Sandbagging is something I've never thought about too much. How do you determine if someone is sandbagging? Do you see guys with purple belts in the gym competing at blue(or guys who've been training for 5 years competing at intermediate no gi)? Or are you watching guys and saying "he's way to good to be an x-belt"?

As far as the video I posted goes, it could have been a little shorter, but I thought it was really cool because there were a couple of really cool sequences and I picked up a detail or an idea from each of them. It's not supposed to be stylistic, it's so you can break down a technique and see the details.

In other news I was going to write some sort of Mundials pre-view, but someone on sherdog beat me to it.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/my-detailed-mundials-analysis-stats-picks-1687761/

By the way, instead of being a random blue belt(like me and all of sherdog) the guy who wrote that is a brown belt under Roger Gracie. I agree with most of his analysis, except I don't think Calasans is beating Marcelo this year. Also Kron is moving down to light weight and Agusto Mendes is moving down to feather, both of those were addressed later in the thread but not the op.

Also, I guess he posted that before brackets came out, but they're up now. Here's how I see the division's shaking out.

Rooster
Bruno Malfacine vs Felipe Costa
Rafael de Freitas vs Caio Terra[/url]

Bruno and Caio have met a bunch of times, with Caio winning there most recent meeting(earlier this year at the Pan Ams). However I'm picking Bruno because I think he's much better at Rooster(they fought at light feather earlier this year) and because Caio's an rear end in a top hat. Also worth noting, there's a strong Japanese contingent here, led by Joao Carlos Kuraoka who have an outside shot at medaling.

Light Feather
Guilherme Mendes vs Samuel Braga
Bernardo Pitel vs Ary Farias

This bracket is way stacked, to the point that I'm not convinced that last years gold medalist will even make it to the medal rounds. Guilherme beat Samuel Braga to take gold here in 2009, he followed that up last year by losing in the first round to the eventual winner Pablo Silva. Guilherme supposedly had a really tough cut last year, and spent the first half of this year fighting at feather, but if his cut goes OK he's definetly making it to the semi finals. Samuel Braga has won this division twice already(and could have had a third last year but conceded it to his team mate Pablo Silva), but he's going to have a super tough matchup vs Carlos Holanda in the quarter finals. On the other end of the Bracket Bernardo Pitel has the easiest road to the medal round, while Ary has a super hard road to the medal round with 2008 silver medalist Dai Yoshioka and 2010 gold medalist Pablo Silva standing in his way. I think Guilherme and Ary will close the bracket out, but it wouldn't shock me if Samuel Braga and Pablo Silva closed out, and Yoshioka and Holanda have a real shot at a medal here.

Feather
Rubens "Cobrinha" Charles vs Agusto Mendes
Rafael Mendes vs Mario Reis

This division feels pretty straight forward to me, Bruno Fratzatto has a decent chance of beating Agusto Mendes, same goes for Marcelino Freitas beating Mario Reis. The only real drama here is in the finals between Cobrinha and Rafael Mendes. Cobrinha won the first 3 or matches between the two, but Rafael has won the last three matches, and I think he'll win this one as well.

Lightweight
Michael Langhi vs Leandro Pereira Nascimento
Gilbert Burns vs Celso Venicius

Before the Pan Ams earlier this year I talked about how Michael Langhi was on a long undefeated streak. Well, after one again closing out the bracket with Lucas Lepri, Michael lost to Leandro Nascimento at the Abu Dhabi World Pro tournament, and at the Brazilian Nationals(watch here. Leandro is going to have a super tough fight with Kron in the quarter finals, and that matchup could go either way. On the other end of the bracket Gilbert Burns is going to have a super tough quarterfinal matchup with Lucas Lepri and Celso Venicius vs JT Torres should be an excellent match as well. Leandro beatCelso earlier this year(warning awful camera work) and I think that's what's going to happen in the final, though I give Burns a pretty decent shot at upsetting Celso and reaching the finals.

Lightweight
Marcelo Garcia vs Daniel Dias
Claudio Calasans vs Lucas Leite

Marcelo is an obvious pick to make it to the semi's, but I'm picking his opponent almost blind. Dias won the Brazilian Nationals last month in a field that included Bruno Alves and Alan Nascimento, beating Gustavo Campos is going to be tough though. On the other end of the Bracket Claudio Calasans is going to have to go through Clark Gracie and Murillo Santana to reach the semi's. Murillo is definetly the under dog to Claudio, but he's the only guy other than Marcelo with a real shot at beating Claudio. Lucas Leite has the easiest path to the semi's. Claudio has the tools to beat Marcelo(and everyone else for that matter) but until he does it,I think it's crazy to pick against Marcelo.

I'll post the rest later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

dokomoy posted:

Sandbagging is something I've never thought about too much. How do you determine if someone is sandbagging? Do you see guys with purple belts in the gym competing at blue(or guys who've been training for 5 years competing at intermediate no gi)? Or are you watching guys and saying "he's way to good to be an x-belt"?

same guy competed in the same division for years and years is a good sign

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Dante posted:

same guy competed in the same division for years and years is a good sign

Yeah, at a recent competition one of the teen girls from my school competed in the adult women's division. She got silver, and the only woman to beat her has been competing at white-belt (as documented on youtube) since 2008.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
sandbagging at white belt is particularly lame. I would think it would get embarrassing and boring to walk all over people who have been training a quarter as much time as you.

You can watch people and have a pretty good idea if they're holding back. There are not that many bj penns in the world, you can guess a super gifted looking blue belt should probably not be just a blue belt.

Then again, I think you can sit at brown almost forever with no shame, because going up to black is almost like going pro in another sport. If you're a hobbiest it is probably not fun to get stomped on at every tournament by a professional athlete.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

canoshiz posted:

I'm still pretty new to judo but I was talking to some of the higher ranked belts and they told me that harai goshi pretty much replaces o goshi at higher levels. The first two throws I learned early on when I went to practice before I owned a gi were o soto gari and o goshi. Then I pretty much never used o goshi again until the yellow belt test came around :v:

They probably meant uki-goshi is replaced by harai goshi, not o-goshi.
As the story was told to me: Kano's favourite throw was uki goshi but people started learning to step around it so he switched to harai goshi to prevent them stepping past.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Got thrown like a cartoon character tonight. Had to take a breather for a minute. It's been a a while since I was thrown that hard. Feels good to remember that I'm not actually any good at Judo.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So I was taught to use a lil hip/butt for osoto gari and it makes a huge difference. Also concentrating on some slight hip on hip action stops me from stepping out too wide with my intial step and not being close enough to have some real control. Helps with the reaping too and not just trying to kick the guys leg out from under him without him being off balance as it sort of lifts him a bit even though its not a hip throw.
I was wondering, if I do my o goshi with my hand up the guys back (almost vertial) instead of around his belt (horizontal) will that pass grading, or does it have to be around his waist? I'm having real trouble keeping my arm wrapped around his waist with that throw but having it upwards makes it much more feasible.

Australian nationals in ~10 days in Perth. My clubs got a decent showing thanks to our great instructors and one of our blue belts got graded to brown belt yesterday so he'll be having fun in Perth. He's super good though, occasionally throws the black belts and hes only about 16 or 17, he's a real prodigy as far as I'm concerned. His dad's been a brown belt for a while now so for him to get his own brown belt was a nice schmaltzy way to end the session.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swmmrmanshen posted:

Got thrown like a cartoon character tonight. Had to take a breather for a minute. It's been a a while since I was thrown that hard. Feels good to remember that I'm not actually any good at Judo.

/fistbump fellow rag-doll getting-back-into grappling buddy

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Thoguh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEMlJiTWNfk

Here's a video to make everyone feel better (Dan Camarillo compilation).

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. The sequence that goes down at 3:00 is just loving stupid awesome.

EazyBreezy
Jul 9, 2009
Anyone watching Mundials today?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Today is just white and blue belts, so I skipped it. The good stuff is Saturday(weight class action up to the quarter finals and the absolute division up to the finals) and Sunday(weight class semi's and all the finals). I don't think I mentioned it but, budovideos.com is streaming the event Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is free, and Sunday is I think 10 bucks.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Finishing my Mundial preview

Medium Heavy

Romulo Barral vs Eduardo Santoro
Sergio Moraes vs Otavio Souza

Unfortunately this years division is missing most of it's biggest stars. Last years world champ Tarsis Humphreys tore his knee up earlier this year at the ADCC qualifiers, Braulio Estima won the European Open earlier this year but is recovering from neck surgery, and this years Pan Am champ Andre Galvo is mia.

If Romulo Barral is fully recovered from the knee injury he suffered in last years Mundial final he's definitely a strong favorite. Romulo has had an incredible Mundial run over the last four years winning his division twice(and making it to the finals last year as well) and making it to the finals of the absolute division 3 times, the only year he didn't make it to the finals in both divisions is 2008 when he sat out the Mundials with a shoulder injury.

His likely opponent, Sergio Moraes moved up to medium heavy this year after being one of the best middleweights in the world over the last couple years(one world title, silver when he bowed out to a team mate and last year lost a super close refs decision that would have landed him in the finals again). This year Sergio won the Brazilian Nationals(both weight class and absolute) and European Open(won the absolute and finished second in his weight class).

I like Barral to win the finals, but if his knee's shaky not only can Sergio Moraes beat him, so can his likely semifinal opponent Eduardo Santoro(who looked really good at this years Pan Ams where he finished second to Andre Galvao).

Heavyweight

Bernardo Faria vs Antonio Carlos Barbosa
Rodolfo Vieira vs Rafael Lovato Jr

Rodolfo Vieira is on an absolute tear this year winning weight and open weight at the Pan Ams as well as weight and open weight of the Abu Dhabi World pro gi and the open weight division of the Abu Dhabi Pro no gi. His only loss this year comes courtesy of his likely semifinal opponent Rafael Lovato Jr who beat him in the no gi portion of the world pro tournament. Even with a recent win over Rodolfo it's hard to see Rafael(or anyone really) beating Rodolfo with the gi on. If you end up ordering the stream of this event keep an eye out for the likely semi final between Lovato and Alexandre Ceconi, both of these guys have excellent guards and it could be a great match(and one that Ceconi has a real shot at winning).

The other side of the bracket is likely to feature a semfinal between Bernardo Faria(who won his weight class last year at the Pan Ams, Worlds and European Open, and finished second this year to Rodolfo Vieira at the pan ams in both the open weight and weight class) and Antonio Carlos Barbosa(who won this years Brazilian Nationals).

Rodolfo dominated Bernardo when they fought for the gold medal in the weight division at the Pan Ams, taking him down and passing his guard twice. An hour later they met for the finals of the open weight division and had a much closer match with Rodolfo winning on advantages 3-1. Even though the second match between the two of them was much closer than the first one Rodolfo controlled it, and I expect him to control this one as well.

Super Heavyweight

Antonio Carlos Peinado vs Marcus Almeida
Joao Assis vs Leonardo Nogueira

For basically the last decade this has been the easiest division to handicap, Roger Gracie was going to win and especially over the last few years he was going to finish almost everyone. With Roger recovering from injury this is a difficult division to handicap. I feel pretty strongly that Marcus Almeida will follow up his win at the Pan Ams this year and win here as well, but everything else is up in the air.

I think Almeida will face Antonio Peinado(who was Junior Dos Santos's bjj coach on The Ultimate Fighter) in the semifinals, but Peinado has a tough matchup with mutliple time medalist Bruno Bastos. I don't think the two have met before and that matchup could probably go either way, but I'm picking Peinado because I still can't stand Bruno Bastos.

The other end of the bracket is a little easier to decipher, I don't think Joao and Leo have met in competition(at least at black belt) but I was really impressed by Leo watching him earlier this year at the Pan Ams, Joao has had a really good year and a half too but most of his biggest success has been no gi.

Marcus Almeida beat Leo Nogueria earlier this year, and I expect him to do it again.

Ultra Heavyweight

Roberto Abreu vs Antonio Braga Neto
Rodrigo Cavaca vs Marcio Cruz

Roberto Abreu scored one of the great comeback wins I've ever seen last year against Antonio Braga Neto. Brago Neto passed Abreu's guard took his back and had a pretty good choke attemp, Abreu somehow got free and landed an incredible triangle with time running out. It's really hard to know how to predict this match, on the one hand Abreu is a beast and can finish almost anyone at any moment, on the other hand Braga Neto controlled the match for just about 9 minutes. To me this match is a coin flip, and I won't argue with anyone who thinks Abreu is going to win.

You can watch there match from last year here.

The other side of the bracket features last years world champion Rodrigo Cavaca and not much else. Marcio Cruz was the best in the world 10 years ago, but since making his return to competitive jiu jitsu last year hasn't had the same results. Cavaca triangled Cruz at least years worlds, and he'll beat him again this time.

I like Cavaca in the finals over Braga Neto(and if Abreu makes the finals I like Cavaca even more after Cavaca footlocked Abreu twice at least years worlds), but Braga Neto is dangerous and can definitely win this division.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Excellent stuff, dokomoy.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
why do judo guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

why do judo guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

Don't mind Gomi Pile. He hasn't made a single worthwhile post in this thread since it was created. His kind of posting is a sad side effect of this thread being in PSP, I suppose.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Excellent stuff, dokomoy.

Thanks.

I want to make an addendum to my last post. I completely forgot that Bernardo Faria and Antonio Barbosa fought earlier this year at the Abu Dhabi World Pro tournament. Barbosa actually submitted Faria with a triangle. Obviously that makes this potential match a lot closer than I thought it would be, but I still like Faria, primarily because he's so good at getting into his game(where he's really hard to stop) that I think going forward it's more likely he'll get into his deep half into under-over or double unders game than it is for Barbosa to pull guard onto him. And once Faria gets into his game he's really hard to beat(I've only seem him shut down from there a couple times vs Rodolfo Vieria earlier this year, against Lovato after they had fought 3 or 4 times and Alexandre Ceconi once when he made Bernardo try and sweep him from x-guard).

Also I wish we got to use more Portuguese words in BJJ, or at the very least call the rnc the Lion Killer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I was wondering, if I do my o goshi with my hand up the guys back (almost vertial) instead of around his belt (horizontal) will that pass grading, or does it have to be around his waist? I'm having real trouble keeping my arm wrapped around his waist with that throw but having it upwards makes it much more feasible.

Totally depends on your instructors. The Gokyo version has you around the waist, but other than guys at the end of a string of counters who are all smooshed together already you rarely see it thrown like that in competition. Personally I usually just underhook the Uke's arm, which helps me avoid getting my shoulder caught behind me. But when I go up for gradings or doing Kata I always make sure to do everything exactly like it is in the Gokyo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Bohemian Nights posted:

Don't mind Gomi Pile. He hasn't made a single worthwhile post in this thread since it was created. His kind of posting is a sad side effect of this thread being in PSP, I suppose.

PSP literally came in to being so that the SAS mods would stop hindering Gomi Pyle in his quest to poo poo on everything

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Gomi Pile posted:

Because you're taught the traditional name.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Totally depends on your instructors. The Gokyo version has you around the waist, but other than guys at the end of a string of counters who are all smooshed together already you rarely see it thrown like that in competition. Personally I usually just underhook the Uke's arm, which helps me avoid getting my shoulder caught behind me. But when I go up for gradings or doing Kata I always make sure to do everything exactly like it is in the Gokyo.
Yes, thats my problem too, but with the underhook it just feels awesome and more natural. Alot of the Russian technique variants feel better for me. I have a bad feeling that you're spot on and I'll be doing it the normal way during grading though.

Gomi Pile posted:

I have no choice. Its the only name they teach to us. I'm not trying to look cool in front of other people by using the japanese name or anything like that.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 3, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I really like doing ogoshi by grabbing the belt, but again, I usually only do it after hip checking and stepping around my opponent, so I'm already in that deep. As far as turning attacks go, I personally play a lot of uchimata, and drop seoinage cause I have no regard for my knees.

On another note, I bought and watched (and watched, and watched, and watched) the Kosei Inoue DVD set from fighting films, and I really love it. For anyone who has at least been introduced to Judo, I would recommend getting it.

Nierbo posted:

Alot of the Russian technique variants feel better for me.

I know that these exist, but can you elaborate on what this exactly means? Do you mean you play from the Russian over the top cross grip?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I've got an Igor Yakimov DVD and it shows some different grips that I'd probably never be taught in class. There's a bit more strong arming, utilising the belt, higher grips, interesting counters, doing things with less room than usual. Sort of what you'd expect from those naturally strong Russians.

You can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6hh7biOiw

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bohemian Nights posted:

don't sass

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Calling a shovel a shovel, a retard a retard.

Also, really good posts, dokomoy. Thanks! It's cool to have some kind of guide for the event. For all my interest in grappling, outside of a few of the head names, I don't really know anyone anymore.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He does have a point though. As someone who doesn't do Judo whenever people start using the Japanese terms for throws/moves I just scroll past because it's not going to make any sense. I don't remember if it was this thread or the MA one in A/T, but someone translated some of the terms which was nice. It might help if someone did a writeup on a lot of the moves used in Judo, what some of the other Japanese words mean, and the rules of Judo.

Unless someone already did this, in which case I would like a link.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

Unless someone already did this, in which case I would like a link.

It's not like a "bodydrop hipthrow" or whatever would make more sense than something in japanese. If I care enough about the post to wonder what a word means, I just google it, and there's usually a ton of animated gifs or videoes available immediately.
Omaplata doesn't make much sense either, you know?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's not like a "bodydrop hipthrow" or whatever would make more sense than something in japanese. If I care enough about the post to wonder what a word means, I just google it, and there's usually a ton of animated gifs or videoes available immediately.

actually it would make a lot more sense because i know what body, drop, hip and throw mean.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

good thing we can also call an omaplata a shoulderlock.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

actually it would make a lot more sense because i know what body, drop, hip and throw mean.

Please explain "Passing the guard" to me without using any BJJ terminology.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 3, 2011

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Please explain "Passing the guard" to me without using any BJJ terminology.

A man has his legs between you and him to prevent you from having an advantageous position. You attempt to pass by his legs so he has no defense against you anymore and are successful. Congratulations you now understand "Passing the Guard".

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

A man has his legs between you and him to prevent you from having an advantageous position. You attempt to pass by his legs so he has no defense against you anymore and are successful. Congratulations you now understand "Passing the Guard".

Cool. Now do that every time you mention a BJJ technique in a post.

Gomi Pile posted:

You wouldn't have any more idea what the technique would entail at all. The only thing you'd know would be that it is a judo throw, which is exactly the same thing you know from the japanese word.
Also we've had this discussion to death already, can we please just not do it again.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

Pass by his legs? What does that mean?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Move past them. Do you not understand English?

edit: what's Japanese for legs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

Move past them. Do you not understand English?

edit: what's Japanese for legs

So I'm just going to walk past his legs? Why would I do that?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

henkman posted:

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

to get past his guard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gomi Pile posted:

to get past his guard.

What is a "guard" and why do I want to "get past" it?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

henkman posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

what is "disingenuous" and why would i want to "be" it?