Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobn posted:

what is "disingenuous" and why would i want to "be" it?

Why would someone who doesn't know anything about BJJ automatically picture a guy wrapping his legs around another guy when you say "guard"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Why would someone who doesn't know anything about BJJ automatically picture a guy wrapping his legs around another guy when you say "guard"?

Well for one thing, it's described in detail in the OP

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

What is a "guard" and why do I want to "get past" it?

a guard is something that exists to protect from harm or danger. you would like to get past it to cause harm or danger. your motivation for this is some kind of social issue + you are really upset about this weird rash on your left ball

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
you have a serious skin condition and know 8 words in japanese. using this you are able to make some terrible posts on the internet

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
rheinhold please clear up the terminology in the a/t thread...i've finally found this one more approachable and would like to show my gratitude with a fake avatar cert: CD9FT80-0C3G3F5B7D-CDA71

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
This wouldn't happen in an aikido thread because everyone would redirect his energy without disturbing their inner balance. Like so:

Gomi Pile posted:

guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Japanese speak don't they? When names Japanese by-moves: their call guys.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

i don't think this discussion has ever happened in this thread.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My point is that every activity, be it knitting or BJJ, has a specialized vocabulary. Bitching about people using that vocabulary rather than just ignoring the posts or looking it up is stupid. There's even a link in the OP to Judoinfo, which breaks down every single technique and also every single japanese word used.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Paul Pot posted:

rheinhold please clear up the terminology in the a/t thread...i've finally found this one more approachable and would like to show my gratitude with a fake avatar cert: CD9FT80-0C3G3F5B7D-CDA71

don't read that thread. its really really really bad

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

My point is that every activity, be it knitting or BJJ, has a specialized vocabulary. Bitching about people using that vocabulary rather than just ignoring the posts or looking it up is stupid. There's even a link in the OP to Judoinfo, which breaks down every single technique and also every single japanese word used.

i learned knitting by 1p2k sorta thing because purl and knit are words that exist in english.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

The unique terminology of just about every other activity is still made out of English words.

I know what double-leg takedown means not because I'm a wrestling expert (lol), but because all of those words are english and with the benefit of context I know that it is a move wherein I try to "take" somebody "down" and it involves two legs.

SA has all sorts of unique terminology like "carepost" "caremad" "effortpost" and such, and yet you know exactly what all of those mean because it's in plain English.

If you tell me I'm going to learn a throw called a "bodydrop hip throw" I can work out the general idea of what you're going to teach me before you even demonstrate it, and if I'd already seen the technique before but never learned the name, "bodydrop hip throw" is way more likely to summon that idea to my mind that whatever the Japanese name is.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
~

Shes In Parties fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KryonikMessiah posted:

Don't see the big deal. I'm more annoyed by annoying gimmick posters who post twice in a row and decline to edit their posts than someone calling Judo techniques by the name they are taught as by every governing body out there. 30 posts for this poo poo. Really.

I couldn't imagine what you think my "gimmick" is outside of "making posts"

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
nothing sickens more than seeing posts get made + displayed on a platform that exists only to accept and display posts

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobn posted:

The unique terminology of just about every other activity is still made out of English words.

I know what double-leg takedown means not because I'm a wrestling expert (lol), but because all of those words are english and with the benefit of context I know that it is a move wherein I try to "take" somebody "down" and it involves two legs.

Par Terre. Suplex. Half Nelson. Turk. Repechage

These are all wrestling terms that require a knowledge of wrestling, making no sense without that context or looking them up.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
And how often are those terms used in this thread?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

These are all wrestling terms that require a knowledge of wrestling, making no sense without that context or looking them up.

ref's position, throw, chicken wing, muslim, loser's bracket

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

So then, shouldn't the argument be that these wrestling terms are dumb, rather than that obscure Judo terms are good?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
but it does make sense if its standard internationally i.e. polish guys are calling it nwaza or whatever. it just seems needlessly burdensome, but if the reason is "just because" then the reason is "just because"

i asked an earnest question as to why people refer to judo terms by their japanese names (when nobody ever posts about BJJ using brazillian names etc.). i don't know why you guys got so upset.

Gomi Pile fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 3, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KryonikMessiah posted:

Don't see the big deal. I'm more annoyed by annoying gimmick posters who post twice in a row and decline to edit their posts than someone calling Judo techniques by the name they are taught as by every governing body out there. 30 posts for this poo poo. Really.

If someone had said "because those are the standardized terms for the throws internationally" rather than spending their time arguing that it was a stupid question perhaps there would have been fewer posts made about it. Just a theory.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
do NOT ask why we do this seemingly illogical thing. there will be consequences!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gomi Pile posted:

a guard is something that exists to protect from harm or danger. you would like to get past it to cause harm or danger. your motivation for this is some kind of social issue + you are really upset about this weird rash on your left ball

this post owns

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Seriously though is there a translation for "omoplate" or is it just a made up word?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

niethan posted:

Seriously though is there a translation for "omoplate" or is it just a made up word?

Google tells me it's Portuguese for "Shoulder Blade"

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Cool.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't think its really a word more like a nickname that became a name. I can't think of anything to call it in english that isn't horribly unwieldy or misleading in description.

Also, is "Muslim" a real wrestling term or were you just slipping that one in?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
that was a joke i made in the post.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zTTkm3i90 (some random training video of a guy doing a leg turk)

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

I don't think its really a word more like a nickname that became a name. I can't think of anything to call it in english that isn't horribly unwieldy or misleading in description.

Maybe triangle shoulder lock?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
i feel like legs should be mentioned in the omoplata. tibial shoulder lock or femoral or something

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mobn posted:

Maybe triangle shoulder lock?

situp triangle shoulder lock?

Wrestling has weird terms and variations, turkish this and russian that, I would really not have been surprised if there was a Muslim body lock or something.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
You can do an omoplata with your arm too so I think shoulder lock is ok. You can always go into more detail though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think everyone should learn the japanese names for the moves because those are THE names for the moves. that way evrytime someone is thrown you dont have to say "OOOH judo throw!" like Joe Hogan.

Or you could be an internet contrarian like we have on this forum. Do you even trane bro?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i've explained my judo credentials before and i assure you that they are quite impressive

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Gomi what are your thoughts on the names of moves from 10th planet jiu jitsu

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

dokomoy posted:

Gomi what are your thoughts on the names of moves from 10th planet jiu jitsu

they are alternately funny, very sad, and also very funny.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Gomi Pile posted:

nothing sickens more than seeing posts get made + displayed on a platform that exists only to accept and display posts
Nothing sickens me more than your stupid double posting which you just can't seem to stop despite repeated warnings.

Henkman posted:

Google tells me it's Portuguese for "Shoulder Blade"
See what henkman did?

e: sorry fdog.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 4, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Nothing sickens me more than your stupid double posting which you just can't seem to stop despite repeated warnings.

See what henkman did?

Way to continue the argument you were complaining about after everybody else stopped.

In case this isn't clear enough, shut up and stop backseat modding. This is the grappling thread, talk about grappling, not about how much other posters' posting style annoys you or how they shouldn't be asking questions about grappling in the grappling thread.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

e: sorry fdog.

Righteous indignation rarely merits a probation. If guys want to bitch about Judo terms and the mod steps in to tell people to stop, just move on.

http://judoinfo.com/ . Anything you could ever possibly want to know about any Judo terminology.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
For those of you planning on watching the worlds tomorrow, they're streaming free at budovideos.com starting at 10 pst. Men and women black belt absolute starts at 10:30 and the weight class matches start at 3:00(also unlike most tournaments the ibjjf stuff runs mostly on time).

Graciemag has the absolute bracket here

Interesting side note: I'm almost positive this is the first world championship to not have a former absolute champion enter since the very first one in 1996.

Bracket 1: Bernardo's side is fairly simple and he'll face the winner of Lovato and Antonio Carlos Barbosa, Lovato's way more experienced so I like him in that matchup. Lovato and Faria have fought at least 4 times over the last 2 years with Faria winning on points 3 times and Lovato by submission once. I guess I'll take Faria because 3>1.

Bracket 2: Romulo Barral's half of the bracket is relatively. Alexandre Ceconi has to get by Cyborg, but he's beaten him twice already and I think Ceconi will beat him again. Ceconi and Barral fought last year with Barral controlling most of the match before giving up a pass at the end. Ceconi is the only guy other than Roger that I remember passing Barral's guard, so I guess I'll take him again this time.

Bracket 3: Sergio Moraes is on the easier end of this bracket. On the other end of the bracket Rodolfo Vieira is going to have his hands full with Claudio Calasans. Those guys fought last year with Vieira coming out on top due to a very strange dq. Calasans is a tough matchup for Rodolfo due to his strong judo background(the match I posted is the only time I remember Rodolfo pulling guard, so I assume it's because he feared Calasans takedowns). But Vieira has been on an absolute tear this year and I think he's going to get by Calasans in a really tough mach, before beating Sergio Moraes to make it to the quarterfinals.

Bracket 4: Antonio Braga Neto and Marcus Almeida both have what looks like fairly simple draws. Tussa might give Braga Neto a little trouble, but I'd be very surprised if he bead him. Almeida beat Braga Neto in march at the Pan Ams and I'd expect him to beat him again here.

Faria vs Ceconi: Like I mentioned in a previous post Ceconi's already beaten Faria, but this is still a difficult match up for him. Most people probably don't have Ceconi getting this far, but based on past results he should win here and make it to the finals.

Marcus Almeida vs Rodolfo Vieira: My gut says Vieira's going to take this, but I'm not basing it on anything in particular. I don't think these two have fought each other, and both of them are recent black belts so I doubt they have a ton of common opponents.

I think that's the most likely way this bracket plays out but there's a ton of room for upsets. The only guy who I think is a lock to make the quarter finals is Almeida, Lovato could easily beat Faria, Barral could beat Ceconi, and it would be a big upset if Calasans beat Vieira but not an impossible one. Should be exciting either way.

Edit: With the last two absolute champions(Roger Gracie and Xande Ribeiro) out with injury and the only other guy to make the finals over the last 4 years(Rommulo Barral) coming returning from an injury and coming off a disappointing performance, I'm kind of surprised how few people signed up for the absolute. I know the 2 competitors per team rule is going to keep some guys out(otherwise Alliance might have 5 guys competing) but I expected more guys to sign up.

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 4, 2011