Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

alreadybeen posted:

Many casual users who aren't rabid Apple fans probably have no idea if there has been an announcement or not.

The iPhone 4 came out? News to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011
After reading through this thread, and listening to my wife's horror stories, I realize that working retail is nearly the same as working for county. You don't have stupid customers, but you make it back in spades with even dumber coworkers and management.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I think the best part about working retail is the assumption that most customers make, in that because they might be making a purchase at a non-tangible point in the future, you must now become their slave. I strongly believe that this unspoken expectation is the source of every awkward / inappropriate / bizarre interaction anyone has ever had with a customer.

Dude wants to regale you with a story about imaginary people that may never have occurred in this plane of reality? Well, he's paying your salary, so loving pull up a seat.

Woman wants to monopolize your time on the sales floor over a $2 purchase? Better give her A+ customer service, or you're losing her business and the business of all of her friends you ungrateful little poo poo.

Someone imagines that you're more than qualified to watch their kids based on the fact that you are employed at this business? Grin and loving bear it, you worthless chump. gently caress, it's not like his kids are even important enough for him to keep track of, but you're exceptionally useless (because you work retail), so this should be right up your alley. Beyond that, where the gently caress does he believe that he left his keys, such that it wouldn't be appropriate to bring his kids along for the journey? Does he frequently leave things in the caldera of active volcanoes, or drifting through the inky void of outer space?

I used to fantasize that I would own my business some day, and get to tell people exactly what I thought about their behavior. I wanted to name the business "ALL SALES FINAL" so that when someone came back to try and return something or complain about their experience, I could literally tell them to get lost with a big loving grin.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
What is it with "customers" being all pissy about not being given some free poo poo? I can walk into a place, open up the vending machines, and "ohhh hey my good friend can I have a free [item]?" When I invariably say NO, it becomes "you jerk why can't you" or some variant on that. I have started asking what I'm going to get in return just to drive the point in a bit. I'm only paid by the hour and don't need my boss being pissed off cause of giving away the store, so to speak.
Of course, I don't get this nearly as much at retail stores :tipshat:

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Coffee Wolf posted:

What is it with "customers" being all pissy about not being given some free poo poo? I can walk into a place, open up the vending machines, and "ohhh hey my good friend can I have a free [item]?" When I invariably say NO, it becomes "you jerk why can't you" or some variant on that. I have started asking what I'm going to get in return just to drive the point in a bit. I'm only paid by the hour and don't need my boss being pissed off cause of giving away the store, so to speak.
Of course, I don't get this nearly as much at retail stores :tipshat:

People are self-entitled assholes.

Y'know, that explains a lot of the crap we see in this thread.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

homeless poster posted:

Beyond that, where the gently caress does he believe that he left his keys, such that it wouldn't be appropriate to bring his kids along for the journey? Does he frequently leave things in the caldera of active volcanoes, or drifting through the inky void of outer space?

He's making poo poo up in some half-assed attempt at trying to justify an outlandish request. Because he thinks retail employees will answer any beck or call in there's some kind of minor inconvenience associated with them not accepting the task.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Mmm, I can't say I was ever treated poorly by any customers while working at Kohl's (At least, that I remember.) but I do remember being upset about management in the store. Both managers were really understanding, and when I would need a day off or needed to go home early were always receptive to it.

However, the Supervisors seemed like it was their job to just make people as miserable as possible. Maybe it's in the job description.

I remember the back-stock supervisor had gotten into trouble because we were "working too slow" so she got moved to another department, and one of the lower-tier management workers came in. She decided to constantly yell at us to "Hurry it up" and everything else you expect a impatient woman who's job relies on other people to do her work for her.

She refused to give us our 15/20 minute breaks on truck days (We usually got their at 6AM in the morning and left between 11AM and 2PM depending on how many hours we got) until the truck was entirely cleared out, and the plastic was pulled off every single item. That usually lasted until 10:30, giving us about half an hour to go home. We didn't get to leave early, either.

I remember after working there my raise was a whopping 6 cents per hour. They also cut my hours back from 30, to 10. Awesome. I quit on New Year's.

Since I quit, I've found a job elsewhere. Ironically, after I left, every single supervisor and manager has left except for three. The three meanest ladies on the force.

e: I also remember working last Black Friday with only a single half hour lunch. No 15 minutes, and no hour lunch. I was on a team of four (Which included the Cashier Supervisor, who was also a mean old lady). They all took hour lunches. I got chewed out for being three minutes late back to the floor. That was probably illegal of them. Forget retail.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 1, 2011

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
After 10 years in hospitality, tonight I saw proof that I've been secret shopped a few months ago. We stumbled across our scoring/comment card, which we probably shouldn't, but I think some of the comments were a bit strange.
I work in a bar in a hotel, which I like to think works just like any other bar ever. The secret shoppers seem to think they were in the restaurant at the time though. I was marked down for "not offering refills" for one.
Now I don't know about you, but every single bar I have ever been to seems to work on the traditional "customer walks up to bar > customer orders drink > I make drink" formula. While it would be nice, have you ever held it against the barman when he didn't walk up to your table and said "I see your drink is low! Would you like me to pour you another? I do not mind that making this verbal transaction away from my cash register is very awkward for me!"?
If I'm working the restaurant at the time then of course I will do that sort of thing, but in a bar?
The other thing specifically mentioned was that I did not do any upselling.
The following will allow me plenty of room for upselling: "Good morrow, barkeep! I wish to purchase a scotch of some description! What do you recommend is good?".
If someone comes up and asks for "a scotch and coke" then I would think that anything other than pouring the goddamned scotch and coke as promptly as possible would be me not doing my job properly. I did actually get an "excellent" for speed of service, so wouldn't you think that me not making the drink you've asked for, and instead starting a "could I recommend this fine 21 year old single malt to complement your excellent choice of coca cola?" spiel would be quite detrimental to the service you're given??
Overall I scored fairly well, but when half the questions contradict the others, and then the other half seem counter-intuitive to being served in a bar, I have to wonder who wrote this crap.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

ubermarcus posted:

While it would be nice, have you ever held it against the barman when he didn't walk up to your table and said "I see your drink is low! Would you like me to pour you another? I do not mind that making this verbal transaction away from my cash register is very awkward for me!"?
This seems like it might actually be borderline illegal, if we're talking about alcohol. When I was getting certified by my state's ABC, the training video heavily emphasized the importance of monitoring how many drinks a customer has had and not pushing too hard. Automatic refills on booze is just a terrible idea.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I have a newfound respect for baggers and a renewed, raging, burning hate for my job after getting up before the crack of dawn and working a 9 hour bagging shift and also gathering carts in 96 degree weather.
The stupid loving piece of poo poo assistant manager who told me he wasn't looking for a customer service person loving lied to me, as everyone I spok with today has told me they are still looking for 3 CS positions. This isn't a new thing, they've been looking for weeks, and I've ROI'd 4 times within those few weeks and spoken with my manager and the rear end-istant manager on several occasions. I've made it clear the reason I need full-time isn't because I need extra cash for loving around, it's because of an abusive situation at home and I can't live here anymore.
I've talked to every department manager and none of them are hiring. Other stores in the area beat around the bush about giving me an answer. Literally no other place is hiring unless I want to make $2 less and take a chance on not getting full-time.
I think I'll just walk into work one day and blow my loving brains out.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

silversiren posted:

I have a newfound respect for baggers and a renewed, raging, burning hate for my job after getting up before the crack of dawn and working a 9 hour bagging shift and also gathering carts in 96 degree weather.
The stupid loving piece of poo poo assistant manager who told me he wasn't looking for a customer service person loving lied to me, as everyone I spok with today has told me they are still looking for 3 CS positions. This isn't a new thing, they've been looking for weeks, and I've ROI'd 4 times within those few weeks and spoken with my manager and the rear end-istant manager on several occasions. I've made it clear the reason I need full-time isn't because I need extra cash for loving around, it's because of an abusive situation at home and I can't live here anymore.
I've talked to every department manager and none of them are hiring. Other stores in the area beat around the bush about giving me an answer. Literally no other place is hiring unless I want to make $2 less and take a chance on not getting full-time.
I think I'll just walk into work one day and blow my loving brains out.

Nah, if you're gonna go that far, take out the rear end in a top hat manager and open up a position to be promoted into.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ygolonac posted:

Nah, if you're gonna go that far, take out the rear end in a top hat manager and open up a position to be promoted into.

Yeah I was going to say, if you've already gone so far as to show up with a firearm, you might as well take some cunts with you. Herd all the employees together and ask them who the worst managers are and then kill them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Flameingblack posted:

Mmm, I can't say I was ever treated poorly by any customers while working at Kohl's (At least, that I remember.) but I do remember being upset about management in the store. Both managers were really understanding, and when I would need a day off or needed to go home early were always receptive to it.

However, the Supervisors seemed like it was their job to just make people as miserable as possible. Maybe it's in the job description.

I remember the back-stock supervisor had gotten into trouble because we were "working too slow" so she got moved to another department, and one of the lower-tier management workers came in. She decided to constantly yell at us to "Hurry it up" and everything else you expect a impatient woman who's job relies on other people to do her work for her.

She refused to give us our 15/20 minute breaks on truck days (We usually got their at 6AM in the morning and left between 11AM and 2PM depending on how many hours we got) until the truck was entirely cleared out, and the plastic was pulled off every single item. That usually lasted until 10:30, giving us about half an hour to go home. We didn't get to leave early, either.

I remember after working there my raise was a whopping 6 cents per hour. They also cut my hours back from 30, to 10. Awesome. I quit on New Year's.

Since I quit, I've found a job elsewhere. Ironically, after I left, every single supervisor and manager has left except for three. The three meanest ladies on the force.

e: I also remember working last Black Friday with only a single half hour lunch. No 15 minutes, and no hour lunch. I was on a team of four (Which included the Cashier Supervisor, who was also a mean old lady). They all took hour lunches. I got chewed out for being three minutes late back to the floor. That was probably illegal of them. Forget retail.

I worked at Kohls for around 2 years, all that stuff sounds familiar. The company was sued in the state of California 4 times for meal-break violations in that, I got a nice little check each time. Some of the managers were actually really cool and some were really awful but that's par for the course. I worked in every position and department sans lingerie and managerial stuff and quit when they were asking me to do truck unload in loving dress clothes. Seriously, half the truck people didn't speak English and you care how they're dressed stacking boxes on carts? Idiocy

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Ammanas posted:

Seriously, half the truck people didn't speak English and you care how they're dressed stacking boxes on carts? Idiocy

Reminds me of my time working at an indie theater. Was all quite nice and peaceful, then the ultimate tool of a manager showed up and started instituting policies to "professionalize" things (one of which included bagging leftover popcorn at night to serve in the mornings for cranky old people! :thumbsup:). The one thing that kept the morning opening routine sane from the loving beeping of the popcorn machine was being able to listen to my music while I was doing it.

Then he comes up one morning and tells me I can't anymore. Made abso-loving-lutely no sense; who cares? There's no customers here yet, why am I not allowed to at least get some enjoyment out of my routine? It's not like I'm doing it any worse than normally anyway.

Another fun part of his management: he had an absolutely strict "no cellphones ever, no matter what" policy, to the point of writing up employees on quick calls to their families, as well as watching surveillance-footage for whenever we used them, and then not telling us about the write-up! He was an alright guy, he just had no loving clue how to run a small business in a sane manner.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ammanas posted:

I worked in every position and department sans lingerie and managerial stuff and quit when they were asking me to do truck unload in loving dress clothes. Seriously, half the truck people didn't speak English and you care how they're dressed stacking boxes on carts? Idiocy
gently caress, I remember when they first told us that. We use to have a guy that was a former manager of a Dollar Store who dressed all snazy every day. When they told him he had to work in those clothes instead of wearing jeans and a t-shirt, he was pissed off. They made him the exception so he wouldn't quit.

He didn't work truck that often, it didn't bother anyone that he was the exception anyway, but the company policy to wear loving dress shoes on a truck day was not flying over well. I'd already ruined two pairs of tennis shoes in their back room, no way I was going to wear nice shoes and gently caress them up, too.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
Well, the interview at Michael's seemed to go pretty well. The ASM was the one conducting the interview, and it just seemed to be the same sort of stuff I do now except with craft supplies instead of books. The position turned out to be seasonal, which is great since that was exactly what I wanted, and they're willing to work with my hours at the bookstore.

The downside is I'd probably be making less than I already do. I make $8 an hour already and they said they'd start me off at $7.75 or $8 an hour. I'm not too thrilled with the proposition but seeing as it would hopefully just be something for a couple extra days a week, I can live with it. I just hope it gives me some extra money to go out and buy a whole new set of clothes and shoes since I'd have two different dress codes.

I got paid yesterday and after paying two of my bills I have $128 to last me two weeks. Please, please let me get some good news soon. :( After my Michael's interview I sent my resume and cover letters to two office jobs and applied for a part-time graphic designer position at a local classified magazine. This stupid associate's degree has to be good for something, right?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Being jobless sucks.

I passed the phone interview for The Container Store today, have a group interview Monday, so I have to go in and knock some socks off. None of my other plans seem to be panning out, so we'll see how this goes.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

TShields posted:

Being jobless sucks.

I passed the phone interview for The Container Store today, have a group interview Monday, so I have to go in and knock some socks off. None of my other plans seem to be panning out, so we'll see how this goes.

Good luck, man. :shobon:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Being jobless does indeed suck. I'm fresh out of Uni and into the unemployment line. Well, I would be if the DWP decided to judge my eligibility for unemployment benefit on the many years I worked and paid taxes before I started Uni. As it is, they judged it based on two of the years I was at Uni and not paying any taxes. So no unemployment benefit for me.

On Monday I find out if I can actually get any housing benefit towards my rent, if that's a bust too then it's get a job, any job, by the end of the month or I'm screwed.

Back to retail is a very real possibility, unfortunately. :(

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Being jobless does indeed suck. I'm fresh out of Uni and into the unemployment line. Well, I would be if the DWP decided to judge my eligibility for unemployment benefit on the many years I worked and paid taxes before I started Uni. As it is, they judged it based on two of the years I was at Uni and not paying any taxes. So no unemployment benefit for me.

On Monday I find out if I can actually get any housing benefit towards my rent, if that's a bust too then it's get a job, any job, by the end of the month or I'm screwed.

Back to retail is a very real possibility, unfortunately. :(

Did you apply for contribution-based JSA? You should still be able to get income-based JSA, at least I did when I left uni a couple of years ago.

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.
Dear TShields,
I felt your pain. I am glad that you are no longer working for CVS. I understand what poo poo it is, and how little they pay their managers to deal with the amount of crap they need to. I worked for them for a year until October of last year, and while I never had to deal with as much poo poo, it was a fair load of shoveling I had to do.
Love,
Sugar Bean

In my store, we had the Goldfish Lady. So named because every time she came in, one of the items she demanded were the Goldfish crackers. She seemed to have stocked up on that product, because while the time that I was there her product of choice was the Irish Spring Body Wash. Before I get on, every time this woman was in the store, everyone would warn each other, and alert the manager, as she'd be insisting upon management at some point during the transaction.

Now, I had had dealings with this old, bewigged, hag of a woman before, but nothing compared to this late December evening...

I was a cashier and photo technician. This means that during normal times of the year I'd be the only person up at register, as I'd be able to do normal transactions and develop photos at the same time. During the holidays, however, it would not be out of the ordinary to have two photo techs, two cashiers, and whomever was manager up at the register, due to the huge influx of regular customers and people who needed their family christmas cards done RIGHT AWAY!!!

I'm rushing around the photo department, which is normal for that time of year, when I here a cough behind me...not a normal cough, a "bitch, I need attention," cough. So I turn, and behind me is Goldfish Lady.

First she has me search for the Irish Spring, the liquid version, mind you, not the body wash. She was quite clear on this point :rolleyes:. So I search in the back for her, none to be had. I let her know and go about my photo business.

Luck has it that the photos are taking awhile developing so I take up ringing to help out with the load of customers. Goldfish Lady comes up to my register. She has me right up rainchecks for all the items she couldn't have. Then for the items she could purchase hands me a stack of coupons and rainchecks.

Some of the rainchecks have 4 of an item where-as she'd be buying 5, she'd insist that the cashier made a mistake and didn't right the amount correctly....fine. So I re-adjust the prices for most of her order. All the while she's interogating me about how long I've worked at this store, I must not know much, and how well the store manager likes her.

When it comes to payment. She gives me no less than four money cards and extra bucks coupons (extra bux you take first as you can't get change from it, both are store credit.) One of which, out of the money cards, she decides did not have enough credit on, so the cashier MUST have put the wrong amount on. (Something that is not really possible, the cashier can really only give you the exact amount of a product back onto the money card, it's not something we just type up.) I explain that bit to her and she begrudgingly relents.

Then comes the Extra Bucks...this is also a store credit of a sort that you can only spend it on items, you cannot get the change back. (Item worth 2.50, you spend 3.00 in extra bucks, you don't get the .50 back) She wanted to pay the rest of her order, about $3 with $10 extra bucks, and after I explain to her she won't get the change back, she looks at me with a completely straight face and says "You don't know anything. That's ridiculous, I've ALWAYS gotten the extra back. You just print it up. Let me speak to your manager."
At this point I just glance at my manager, who is standing next to me, and knows the deal with this woman, and he repeats the policy, saying I'm right.

We end up finishing the transaction, and after I tell her the balance left on her last money card (to be helpful, with this lady I was always very careful) I hand her her reciept.

Five minutes after that, while I'm back to photo and rushing around, she ambles up and tells me I forgot to give her a receipt. Que twenty minutes of myself and my manager argueing with her that I did give her the drat receipt, after which she found it in her purse.

Goldfish Lady did this every time she was in the store. It was like a script for her.:argh:

Sugar Bean fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 6, 2011

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't your manager just ban the annoying old bitch from the store?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

-Troika- posted:

Why didn't your manager just ban the annoying old bitch from the store?
Because the customer is always right. We didn't ban a customer who scammed food off us at least twice a week at $30-40 a pop

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh American retail :smith:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I swear to god, I nearly had a breakdown last night. All because a friend of mine gave me a lead on a job at a call center he works at for a full time gig, I submitted my resume and cover letter, and then I realized afterward it was the one I was using BEFORE I tried basing mine around T-Shields' example one because it was well organized.

This job is loving getting to me when I'm freaking out about formatting :suicide:

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.

2508084 posted:

Because the customer is always right. We didn't ban a customer who scammed food off us at least twice a week at $30-40 a pop

This. It would have looked worse on us if she decided to complain to corporate, because it's hard to explain that you banned someone from your store because she makes you feel bad about yourself in a very passive aggressive way. That and all of those extra bucks and money cards (when they're not scammed) do count as money coming into the store. So technically she does spend a lot there.

I was trading horror stories with a guy at a party once who worked at another CVS, and when I described her his eyes got huge, "Wait, we get her too!"

:(:hf::(

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Duckbill posted:

Did you apply for contribution-based JSA? You should still be able to get income-based JSA, at least I did when I left uni a couple of years ago.

They wouldn't let me apply for income-based JSA because I live with my girlfriend, who was working (the last week of a temp job) when I applied. Now that she's not working we've filed a joint claim, so there's some hope we might get some support yet.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I absolutely hate my loving job. I really do. It's sucking the life and soul out of me and sending me back into the spiraling depression I tried to hard to get out of.
I have been looking every single day for a new or a second job but either no one is hiring or I don't have the experience. Living in this house is driving me nuts because of the constant emotional abuse and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand it, honestly. I have no other outs besides getting a full-time job (highly unlikely) or killing myself (probable?).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm curious if I should hold off on applying for jobs as I have an internship I haven't even started yet. I know it's temporary, but don't have a set end date and I know "end of the summer" isn't a good indicator to future employers. The internship is definitely worth sticking with as I will learn a lot about the production side of design and give me time to beef up my portfolio even more.

It's mostly hearing stories of taking months to find a job that makes me think I should be looking ASAP.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm curious if I should hold off on applying for jobs as I have an internship I haven't even started yet. I know it's temporary, but don't have a set end date and I know "end of the summer" isn't a good indicator to future employers. The internship is definitely worth sticking with as I will learn a lot about the production side of design and give me time to beef up my portfolio even more.

It's mostly hearing stories of taking months to find a job that makes me think I should be looking ASAP.

It took me two years to get a job in California. When I did, it was fast food. Thats with two solid years of administrative experience, 1 year of waitressing experience and an entirely open schedule.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

2508084 posted:

It took me two years to get a job in California. When I did, it was fast food. Thats with two solid years of administrative experience, 1 year of waitressing experience and an entirely open schedule.

Goddamnit. I just moved to California.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Ghostnuke posted:

Goddamnit. I just moved to California.

If it makes you feel better, I fell into a job with the government because my boss liked my strange rear end on a personal level

:stare: good luck.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

2508084 posted:

Oh poo poo posted in the wrong thread.

Guess I'll post something pertinent. Keep at it retail goons. I worked at JCPenney for 2 years only because of my awesome bosses who were flexible and weren't crazy with scheduling. I've never worked more than 9 hours in a row and a 9 hour shift was rare. Plus the discount and my manager's penchant for "gently caress this company you can have that dress for 2 dollars" saved me tons of money.

I will say though that everyone here should try to get a job at UPS. Union work is the best work. I'll take loading a trailer/air container over the lovely pay and no benefits of retail. And if you ever get injured on the job they pay for it all. Paid vaca and full benefits for even part-time employees after a year of working. Amazing health care because they probably cut deals with healthcare companies for overnight shipping.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 7, 2011

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

I absolutely hate my loving job. I really do. It's sucking the life and soul out of me and sending me back into the spiraling depression I tried to hard to get out of.
I have been looking every single day for a new or a second job but either no one is hiring or I don't have the experience. Living in this house is driving me nuts because of the constant emotional abuse and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand it, honestly. I have no other outs besides getting a full-time job (highly unlikely) or killing myself (probable?).

Are there no goons around you who could help? I'd say you can crash here, but I doubt you're in AZ, and our spare room has mice.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Union work is the best work.
I'm in the union and have been for over a decade, but I feel their usefulness is coming to an end. Too many spineless people are dropping out of unions every new contract due to fear of strikes. This gives leverage to corporate which has been allowing them to gently caress over the employee, contract after contract. Soon it will be pointless to join the union.

It also doesn't help that a lot of new employees come in with the attitude of "gently caress da union!!". Then they bitch 5 minutes later that their last paycheck sucks.

----------------------

Sunday I learned my department boss is continuing to make bad decisions. Such as coming in 3 hours late and not telling store management, instead he texts other department managers and various employees, which really pisses off store management.

He admitted to me that he was a cock to the people who are in charge of creating schedule templates for 120 stores. In response those people hosed him(us) over by saying we didn't properly submit our information for next week's schedule (even though I'm 100% positive that I did do it). This causes store management grief because ultimately they get poo poo when things aren't done properly.

Even after he was 3 hours late, he went home early without telling store management. Store management ranted to me earlier that vary day how it is pissing them off that my boss is completely leaving them out of the loop when he makes those kind of decisions.

Lets see... oh yea, he continues to intentionally be disrespectful to me because he enjoys making me mad. It's frustrating because he continues to get away with this poo poo because corporate is putting some very heavy pressure on store management to be better towards their employees so store management won't do anything. Nothing will happen until corporate comes down to our store and bitches people out.

The good news for me is that I might be getting a transfer in a couple weeks. It's just a rumor, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

ijii posted:

I'm in the union and have been for over a decade, but I feel their usefulness is coming to an end. Too many spineless people are dropping out of unions every new contract due to fear of strikes. This gives leverage to corporate which has been allowing them to gently caress over the employee, contract after contract. Soon it will be pointless to join the union.

It also doesn't help that a lot of new employees come in with the attitude of "gently caress da union!!". Then they bitch 5 minutes later that their last paycheck sucks.

Unfortunately this is the prevailing attitude where I worked as well. I was like the only reason your getting your school paid for is because of the union. UPS actually pays full-time tuition to go to any school in the Louisville area if you work the night shift.

Fear of strikes? Isn't that the whole loving point of being in one? I was all giddy with the idea that I could strike with my union. Man America is hosed.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

the loving beeping of the popcorn machine...

This is the sound of my personal hell. Just, the popcorn machine, beeping, endlessly, forever.

Yesterday at my theater, I cleaned bathrooms for seven hours. :smith: That wouldn't have been so bad (hey, no customers) except that the same five loving songs play in a loop in our bathrooms over and over and over again. I can still hear them playing.

Also, re: some stuff people were saying earlier about places withholding breaks illegally, at my theater, I guess we're technically in the "entertainment industry," they don't have to give us breaks? So about eight months ago they stopped giving us a fifteen minute paid break every shift. Now it's no breaks, or one half-hour unpaid break, no matter how long the shift is (and they can be 9-10 hours, or longer). I desperately want this to be illegal, but I bet it isn't.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

marsattacks posted:

This is the sound of my personal hell. Just, the popcorn machine, beeping, endlessly, forever.

Yesterday at my theater, I cleaned bathrooms for seven hours. :smith: That wouldn't have been so bad (hey, no customers) except that the same five loving songs play in a loop in our bathrooms over and over and over again. I can still hear them playing.

I think it goes without saying that theater work is some of the worst poo poo imaginable. No one respects you, most of your coworkers are brainless idiots, the supervisors love loving with you, and the management usually doesn't care because they're too busy bringing in their kids to try and look like actually decent people.

And unless you're popular with said abusive supervisors, you will not get promoted. Ever. Your only way out is if they somehow haven't completely converted to digital film yet and have an opening in projection, because that work is incredibly easy. Otherwise, get the gently caress out of there the first chance you get.

Also, we actually tried finding a way to turn that awful beeping off at the Angelika I worked at because there was absolutely no point to having it on (it's easy to tell when it's done popping, and it starts beeping way before it's ready anyway). They built that hell-screecher in there, with no way to turn it off.

quote:

Also, re: some stuff people were saying earlier about places withholding breaks illegally, at my theater, I guess we're technically in the "entertainment industry," they don't have to give us breaks? So about eight months ago they stopped giving us a fifteen minute paid break every shift. Now it's no breaks, or one half-hour unpaid break, no matter how long the shift is (and they can be 9-10 hours, or longer). I desperately want this to be illegal, but I bet it isn't.

I've generally been unfortunately wrong on this call, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal. If you're still on premises during break, and you're scheduled 8 hours of work, they need to give you at least 20 minutes paid break. Then again, they always forced us to clock out at AMC.

The worst was one day when I was starting quite early in the day and took 5 minutes to grab a quick snack. When I wanted to go on my full break, my supervisor told me "You already went on break!". gently caress them so hard, it's a shame (somehow) the only ones left there are generally the good people, because the assholes deserve all the time in the world in that hellhole.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

marsattacks posted:

Uh, I and plenty of friends work at animation studios which are way more "entertainment industry" than movie theaters and we get two 15-minute breaks and a 1-hour lunch for an 8-hour day. That poo poo has to be illegal.

What state are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Paid/Unpaid break laws vary from state to state, so it's hard to say if what's going on at your theater is illegal or not.

At my retail place, we're loosing a long-time part-timer, and it makes me sad. He's been here almost 10 years, doing 8-12 hours a week. He's realized that it used to be fun to come to work, but things have changed (corporately, and managerially) and now it's not. So he's out of here (plus, now he gets Social Security $$, so he really doesn't need the job, and so many other people do).