Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok yeah it does lock when the doors are closed. I guess that does make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

revmoo posted:

Ok yeah it does lock when the doors are closed. I guess that does make sense.

Yeah, I think that's fairly typical behavior now, my old Accord would do the same thing. Still managed to lock my keys in it twice, you just have to take the key out of the ignition first.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I think that's fairly typical behavior now, my old Accord would do the same thing. Still managed to lock my keys in it twice, you just have to take the key out of the ignition first.

Proof that you can work hard to build something idiotproof, but nature will work harder to build a better idiot. :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pissingintowind posted:

Proof that you can work hard to build something idiotproof, but nature will work harder to build a better idiot. :v:

Well, I didn't even mention that it was on consecutive days and both times I had to call AAA and both times the same guy came out. :(

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hey 2002-nerds, the price is too high on this one, right? 2002's don't seem to be popping up too frequently out here in my new town in Oregon.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/2411418660.html

I'm starting to think it might be better for me to trust a friend in SF Bay Area to get my dream 2002 for me...

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
My e46 left rear window is no longer moving up or down. Google tells me it's most likely a broken window regulator. I've ordered a replacement and am looking forward to getting to it this weekend.

The only downside is that it is stuck rolled down, so there are only a few places I'd really feel comfortable leaving it parked.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Deceptor101 posted:

So I still have that slight honking noise on the first bit of throttle. It can be in nuetral, with the belts off and it still does it. I figure its something in intake, when its grabbing that first rush of air, but I have no idea what it could be. Anyone ever heard of this? Its like a small goose is in my air filter. E46 328i 5sp 171k btw.

Now updated with video and the noise that goes with it. Its clearly coming from somewhere in the Intake area, but I wouldn't know where to start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTIkT-Ntjc

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cobalt60 posted:

Hey 2002-nerds, the price is too high on this one, right? 2002's don't seem to be popping up too frequently out here in my new town in Oregon.

I'm starting to think it might be better for me to trust a friend in SF Bay Area to get my dream 2002 for me...

I'm in Portland and I've never seen so many 2002's in my life. If you want to widen your net a bit, I'd be down to check them out for you. You can email me at <username> at gmail.com

For instance:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2406456311.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deceptor101 posted:

Now updated with video and the noise that goes with it. Its clearly coming from somewhere in the Intake area, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Sounds like you've got an air leak in the intake somewhere. The air slipping between two parts that are supposed to be sealed is causing an effect similar to what makes brass instruments work.

At least that's my best guess from the noise in the video.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Deceptor101 posted:

Oil separator/CCV

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OQtvZ2fp0

Funny story, the only reason I know this is because I was googling around trying to find what "CCV" stood for this very afternoon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Third Man posted:

Oil separator/CCV

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OQtvZ2fp0

Funny story, the only reason I know this is because I was googling around trying to find what "CCV" stood for this very afternoon.

Learn something new every day. What in the world would make the CCV make that noise?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Oh man, thank you. That's exactly it! Thankfully mine doesn't make the long groan when I shut it off. Now I just need to decide if I feel like replacing all the hoses or just the valve.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ynotony posted:

The only downside is that it is stuck rolled down, so there are only a few places I'd really feel comfortable leaving it parked.

Remove the inner door panel and it's not hard to raise the window by hand and temporarily secure it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
My E30 has a creaking sound coming from the front of the car when I turn the steering wheel. When I open the hood, and turn the wheel, I hear it coming from down in the engine bay. It is even louder if I listen at the drivers side wheel well.

I am thinking I have a bad shock mount. Does that sound reasonable? I also noticed my swaybar end links are in really bad shape, but I do not think they would be making this much noise.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
^^^Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Cobalt60 posted:

Yeah, that seems a bit high for a car in need of that much work. $5K should be able to put you in the territory of a good runner with few cosmetic issues. Maybe it's just the pitcures, but that one looks a bit rough. I would expect that to command maybe $3-4K around here (Bay Area), assuming the body is pretty decent.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dyscrasia posted:

My E30 has a creaking sound coming from the front of the car when I turn the steering wheel. When I open the hood, and turn the wheel, I hear it coming from down in the engine bay. It is even louder if I listen at the drivers side wheel well.

I am thinking I have a bad shock mount. Does that sound reasonable?

That's possible, the shock mounts have a ball-bearing sleeve that should rotate smoothly. If your bearings are bad, it could cause a clunk. On one of my past BMWs, I had a crunching noise when I turned the wheel resulting from the spring slipping around against the tophat.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Sterndotstern posted:

I'm in Portland and I've never seen so many 2002's in my life. If you want to widen your net a bit, I'd be down to check them out for you. You can email me at <username> at gmail.com

For instance:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2406456311.html

Oh poo poo that one's nice. Going to Portland next weekend, so maybe I'll have to check that one out, if it's still there.

Great point, I'll just widen my recurring search area. Thanks for the offer to check stuff out -- I might have to take you up on it since so few folks here in Eugene seem to care about cars other than Civics and Outbacks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I am super jealous of central canada right now. I can't even find a 5 series worth looking at on the east coast, and they get stuff like this:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-BMW-M5-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ286531018

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Crustashio posted:

I am super jealous of central canada right now. I can't even find a 5 series worth looking at on the east coast, and they get stuff like this:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-BMW-M5-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ286531018

nm

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Sterndotstern posted:

That's possible, the shock mounts have a ball-bearing sleeve that should rotate smoothly. If your bearings are bad, it could cause a clunk. On one of my past BMWs, I had a crunching noise when I turned the wheel resulting from the spring slipping around against the tophat.

Turns out your close. It is looking like its the lower front spring pad that is torn up causing the spring to rub. Too bad I only bought new spring mounts and upper pads. The good news is that apparently the H&R race springs that came with my car are small enough to not need a spring compressor.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Any huge difference between the E46 325 and the 330? I'm selling my current car (06 G35 Coupe), because I don't want to pay payments anymore, but what I can tell is that the 330 is faster, but ride wise is there much of a difference?

The 325 is a bit cheaper in my searches thus far.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Regnevelc posted:

Any huge difference between the E46 325 and the 330? I'm selling my current car (06 G35 Coupe), because I don't want to pay payments anymore, but what I can tell is that the 330 is faster, but ride wise is there much of a difference?

I love my 330i, but unless you really need the extra power, you'll be perfectly happy with the 325. If the 330i has the sport package or better, the ride might be stiffer. Mine also has the sport package.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Regnevelc posted:

Not a huge difference, the resale on 330s will always be higher due to their (slightly) better fuel economy and extra power. You really won't notice much difference in driving, the 325s have plenty of power in real-world driving situations, the only noticeable difference is in acceleration above 70mph.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Sterndotstern posted:

Not a huge difference, the resale on 330s will always be higher due to their (slightly) better fuel economy and extra power. You really won't notice much difference in driving, the 325s have plenty of power in real-world driving situations, the only noticeable difference is in acceleration above 70mph.

I don't plan on doing any racing or autocrossing (which wouldn't even get me to 70MPH anyway), just on the highway.

Cool, looks like I'm looking for a 325Ci/i then.

Thanks!

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
Hey bmw fans...I need just a little rant time. After driving a mk4 supra for the majority of my college career, I started looking for something a little newer. I was approached about trading my cherished quicksilver mk4 for a flossman widebody E46 M3, with a bunch of bolt ons. "What a deal!", I thought, not thinking that this guy was trading an M3 for my daily driver Supra; and he already owned one Supra, this one being his second. He warned me, "Are you sure you want to drive something this EXTREME every day?" Hell yes I did. Carbon Black, Cinnamon interior, full exhaust + headers, and a AA race tune? And iForged wheels and Bilstein coils? "Where do I sign?" I thought to myself.

I would like to briefly recount the maintenance and repair costs from July-June.

Full Inpection 2
new fuel pump, new o2 sensors, new fuel filter
new guibo disco
new paint job (paint was trashed) in House of Kolors Triple Black
new battery

and now the car just won't run. Drove it about 3 weeks ago, parked, and it hasn;'t run since. I checked every underhood relay, (including the SMG salmon one), every fuse, new battery, brake pedal sensor, neutral swtich, etc. I finally bridged the starter while applying 12 volts of jumper cable power to the car, and lo and behold, it turned over. there is just something keeping power from going to the car itself to turn the starter. As of now, I am assuming an ignition switch.

I guess what I'm saying, is that putting 70,000 miles on a Supra that already had 100k plus, cost me tires, and oil changes. Including tires, I spent maybe 1100 in maintenance over 3+ years. It made a solid 410/435 on stock twins, so it wasn't really slow. But dammit, almost 4 grand of maintenance on this car just to keep it running for a year. Screw this, I'm going back to Japland.

Pictures for proof.

MK4

M3

BTW, it's for sale. 90k miles.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I wouldn't call a new paintjob "maintenance."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I love BMWs but I woulda kept the Supra.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are you really crying that you bought what is effectively a race car and had to pay money to maintain it?

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
No, it just never fails to surprise me just how much stupid stuff fails on E46 M3's. My Supra had almost twice the miles, and an 1/8th of the problems. Had the MK4 been a 6-speed car, it would still be mine, likely around 230k miles now, and still wouldn't be giving me any trouble.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

I believe that the chassis and suspension setup is pretty much identical between the 325 and 330, but whatever you do definitely get a car with the sport package. That'll make more of a difference in feel, feedback, and comfort than a bit of extra power. The sport seats, especially the coupe's sport seats, are a thousand times better than the non-sport pizza boxes. The difference in seats alone makes the sport package worth it.

I just bought a loaded 04 330Ci a couple weeks ago, and it is just about the perfect car. If you can find a good 330 I'd say go for a 330 since you get extra power with pretty much identical fuel economy (or even better according to a poster above me?), and a 330 will hold its value a bit better than a 325 as well. Especially coming from a G35, a 325 is going to be way down on power, but it will still handle sublimely if the suspension is in good shape.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 3, 2011

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Deceptor101 posted:

Oh man, thank you. That's exactly it! Thankfully mine doesn't make the long groan when I shut it off. Now I just need to decide if I feel like replacing all the hoses or just the valve.

If you are already in there you might as well do (or have done) all the plastic CCV poo poo. My shop installed mine for $210 and I think I paid $175 for the parts from Tischer. The croaking frog will not disappear on shutdown completely.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Guinness posted:

I believe that the chassis and suspension setup is pretty much identical between the 325 and 330, but whatever you do definitely get a car with the sport package. That'll make more of a difference in feel, feedback, and comfort than a bit of extra power. The sport seats, especially the coupe's sport seats, are a thousand times better than the non-sport pizza boxes. The difference in seats alone makes the sport package worth it.

I just bought a loaded 04 330Ci a couple weeks ago, and it is just about the perfect car. If you can find a good 330 I'd say go for a 330 since you get extra power with pretty much identical fuel economy (or even better according to a poster above me?), and a 330 will hold its value a bit better than a 325 as well. Especially coming from a G35, a 325 is going to be way down on power, but it will still handle sublimely if the suspension is in good shape.

Thanks for the response. Luckily I have time to search to find the car I need. The G35 will hopefully be gone by August and then we're buying my wife an 05 Mini Cooper S. Then that allows me to search and get the GMC Envoy sold off for when I find the BMW. No rush, so I should be able to find the perfect car.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I've been looking to find a used BMW 3-series from the E46 era, likely a 1999 323i or 328i. Is there anything I should definitely know about them with regards to common problems or other points of interest?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Anything from 1999 will most likely need a cooling system overall. At a minimum, a new expansion tank, they're known for failing pretty quickly and with only about 2 gallons of coolant, it will drain quickly. Maybe control arm bushings as well. Oh and window regulators. Other than that, look for the usual stuff when buying a 12 year old car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

geeteeslow posted:

Full Inpection 2
new fuel pump, new o2 sensors, new fuel filter
new guibo disco
new paint job (paint was trashed) in House of Kolors Triple Black
new battery

I fail to see the problem. Your driving an M3... the inspection II is required to maintain the vehicle. Yes, it sucks, I just did inspection II not to long ago on my E39, but because of that its the worst car ever. The fuel pump might be related to the fuel filter.. usually a crappy filter will cause pump failure because they have to work way harder to pump fuel meaning... burnt out pump. Your "guibo disco" translates into flex disc, those "EXTREME" launches trashes that. Your paint well... what ever. And a battery... its like BATTERIES NEVER FAIL OMG THEY LAST FOREVER. The o2 sensor.. meh I guess I will let you have that one. Besides what ever they did to the fenders looks tacky at best. Plus "bolt" ons usually just mean, extra crap that doesn't do much in the long term but sounds great, and is mostly cosmetic.

Your driving a car that is race track ready... Every thing you listed above sounds like neglect vs bad car. And its all routine service that your bitching about for the most part. Your argument=fail.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 3, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

I've been looking to find a used BMW 3-series from the E46 era, likely a 1999 323i or 328i. Is there anything I should definitely know about them with regards to common problems or other points of interest?

The 323/328 have the notorious, if perhaps overblown, rear subframe tearing itself apart problem. Definitely get any 323/328 checked out for rear subframe problems.

Edit: The Bimmerfest wiki article on the E46 is a goldmine of info, especially on year-to-year changes. http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 3, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

geeteeslow posted:

:words:

You bought a heavily modified and abused M3, and you were expecting a reliable DD? :lol:

And then complain about normal scheduled maintenance and regular wear items that have probably been overdue for quite some time now. And you bought it with a trashed paint job, and then complain about having it repainted? :lol::lol:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Guinness posted:

You bought a heavily modified and abused M3, and you were expecting a reliable DD? :lol:

And then complain about normal scheduled maintenance and regular wear items that have probably been overdue for quite some time now. And you bought it with a trashed paint job, and then complain about having it repainted? :lol::lol:
I was thinking the same thing...

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
Geez, strap up the flamesuit. Truth is, maintenance stuff aside, this car just genuinely cost a whole lot more to operate than say, a GTO or Supra. I just never thought it'd really be this expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

You bought a heavily-modified M car, what were you expecting? If you don't want to get 'flamed' don't buy a car that is going to be expensive to maintain...and then complain about it being expensive to maintain.