Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
My interest in fantasy baseball has waned as the prominence of day baseball has increased over the last few years. Back in college I could set my team once a day and be done with it, save for the odd Cubs game, but not any more. Combined with how it screwed up my schedules when I was still at the radio station and day baseball has been nothing but an inconvenience for me for the last few years.

Maybe in a few years I'll grow to like it but for now, gently caress Day Baseball.

In actual WIS content, I've gotta imagine Ivan's a good bet to make round 2 in the WISC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I'm still weighing entering.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress it, i'm going to enter. I have a credit card, and hopefully a 30+ hour a week job starting late June until August, so i'll definitely be able to pay it off.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Art: always reliable to make sound financial decisions.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Art: always reliable to make sound financial decisions.

WiS is my kryptonite and I hate every one of you

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

My interest in fantasy baseball has waned as the prominence of day baseball has increased over the last few years. Back in college I could set my team once a day and be done with it, save for the odd Cubs game, but not any more. Combined with how it screwed up my schedules when I was still at the radio station and day baseball has been nothing but an inconvenience for me for the last few years.

Maybe in a few years I'll grow to like it but for now, gently caress Day Baseball.

In actual WIS content, I've gotta imagine Ivan's a good bet to make round 2 in the WISC.
It's funny you mention disliking day baseball stemming from missing a quality Colby Lewis start since Texas still only play about 2 of these day games a year due to the heat! I used to hate that decades ago because day baseball seemed cool when I was in school, but I've appreciated the ultra-night schedule since starting a 9-5 career years and years ago.

Kudos again for the WISC predictions, although I still contend I'm very mediocre. My only championship came because I had the first overall pick in our progressive draft and immediately built a team to compete hard that first season! Sidenote: what does "SLL Not Allowed" mean in the league theme descriptions? I'm sure it's obvious.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

"SLL Not Allowed" mean in the league theme descriptions?

Sim League Live. No live play.

As for your lack of championships, that doesn't really mean much. I had only had one championship in my first 20 or 30 leagues or something like that. Your consistently one of our best goon players even if you don't have the playoff appearances to show it.

Maybe you won't quite make the second round since it is by and large all top WIS players but I'll be shocked if you don't do very, very well compared to the field on the whole.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I don't even want to know how bad you think i'll do, AV :v:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

How's this for a first draft for the lets get some hits theme

Chicken Wolf. I think this may be my new favorite name.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

^^^ don't forget a DH

ArtVandelay posted:

I don't even want to know how bad you think i'll do, AV :v:

I feel like the more limited the player pool you have to work with, the better you are at making teams. It limits your opportunities to make silly Art decisions like using Buttons Briggs. I'd expect you to be middle of the pack and maybe better, there are always some really, really bad players in this.

That said, these themes can be pretty tough. I think the 90m pitching/defense league is deceptively tough to build a team for. I took forever to get a final build together for the round 2 80m league last year.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

^^^ don't forget a DH

poo poo! This is tougher than you'd think!

You're right, I definitely like themes that are way more restrictive. With an unlimited player pool, I tend to pick players that i've never used before, mainly because I like their names, and they usually suck... ie Buttons Briggs :v:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I think your record in theme leagues speaks for itself. You know well enough what you're doing at this point that you can put together a good team but your biggest weakness is optimizing teams and that gets exposed once you make the playoffs. You pretty regularly have good regular season teams, though.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I think the 90m pitching/defense league is deceptively tough to build a team for.
I have some ideas for competitive-but-unique teams for each league but this one. This one will be the thorn in my side I'm sure.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Since i've obviously never done one of these WiS championships, what would the average offensive salary be in this offensive league? Should I up it a bit more? Does pitching even matter at all?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Pitching always matters.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I would not have expected my first no-no from the third or fourth best season of Gaylord Perry

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

AlleyViper posted:

gently caress day baseball. Every single game should start at 7:05 PM

empty quote

weekday day games suck, i have things to do

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Presented without commment

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

empty quote

weekday day games suck, i have things to do

I got my copy of The Game, when are we starting the Book Club?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Presented without commment

Ty Cobb is kind of an unstoppable juggernaut of awesome.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Ty Cobb is kind of an unstoppable juggernaut of awesome.

Just like 2000 Pedro Martinez, right? :smugdog:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

kensei posted:

I got my copy of The Game, when are we starting the Book Club?

i am ready, don't know if it is going to be anyone other than you and me though

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i am ready, don't know if it is going to be anyone other than you and me though

I don't have my copy yet

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I don't have my copy yet

Ok cool, we can wait for you. Anyone else?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

kensei posted:

I am sitting this out because it's hockey and I just started working so my time is a bit short, but keep me updated on the progress.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

kensei posted:

What book are you guys reading?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

I am sitting this out because it's hockey and I just started working so my time is a bit short, but keep me updated on the progress.

I am not a hockey fan but this is pretty highly praised so I am willing to give it a shot.

Scrotos posted:

What book are you guys reading?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Ken_Dryden)

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

kensei posted:

I am not a hockey fan but this is pretty highly praised so I am willing to give it a shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Ken_Dryden)

Oh I already read it. It is a good book but I think you got to like Hockey to truly appreciate it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hey Kensei, I got a sitemail from teveritt saying that your 200k player got a hit and then drove in the winning run against him in the clones league. The rule is those 200k players need to be at rest at all times. So yeah, don't let those dudes play.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That's our kensei, always ruining everyone else's fun. What a mean guy!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

His 200k guy played every game against me recently, but he was complete poo poo and ended up losing one of those games with an error or something so I didn't really mind.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

George McQuillian was definitely a bad idea. Ty Cobb would not be happy with the amount of homers he hit in this game. Homers are for pussies like Babe Ruth.
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14862554&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Fake edit: 10,000th post spectacular!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I don't understand how people are having stamina issues, but that's probably because I took John Clarkson and his 900 IP/162 per season.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I don't understand how people are having stamina issues, but that's probably because I took John Clarkson and his 900 IP/162 per season.

Pedro's destroying stamina issues too, although I'm amazed about 2000 Pedro:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Hey Kensei, I got a sitemail from teveritt saying that your 200k player got a hit and then drove in the winning run against him in the clones league. The rule is those 200k players need to be at rest at all times. So yeah, don't let those dudes play.

Whoops I thought those guys were on rest but they were not. Fixed!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

That's our kensei, always ruining everyone else's fun. What a mean guy!

Double posting to say screw you AV

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

kensei posted:

screw you AV

You're just proving my point :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Gyro, we found the ultimate Burrellballer in the Ruth draft class...

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I will draft him and trade him to you Gyro, hurry up and join the league :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I would draft him 1(1) and never look back

• Locked thread