Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bowmore posted:

I have $75 to spend on GOG games. I already own Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. Tell me what I should buy.

Many great ones have been mentioned but, if you like adventure games at all, do not miss Gabriel Knight 1–3; they are fantastic.

Another tip is that if you don't have to spend that money all at once, don't. Wait for some sales instead. You'd get a ridiculous number of games for that money during the Christmas sale for example. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up;

The Longest Journey
Broken Sword Pack
Baldur's Gate 1
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 1
Icewind Dale 2
Planescape Torment
The Last Express
Ultima 1 & 2
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Zork Anthology

Spent some of my own money but I think I'm good for the rest of the year or more, especially with my steam backlog as well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bowmore posted:

Picked up:

I see a clear lack of Total Annihilation and Guilty Gear X2 in that list.

e: And Syberia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zat posted:

Many great ones have been mentioned but, if you like adventure games at all, do not miss Gabriel Knight 1–3; they are fantastic.

Another tip is that if you don't have to spend that money all at once, don't. Wait for some sales instead. You'd get a ridiculous number of games for that money during the Christmas sale for example. :)
These drat gift cards have expiry dates!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So the Dungeon Keeper manual is listed as 60 MB but downloads to about 1.2 MB :psyduck:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Playing through Ultima Underworld. I actually have the original game and ripped it to run in Dosbox, but I bought it from GoG to support their movement. There seems to be a lot of sounds either missing in the GoG version, or it's automatically set up to emulate a sound card that doesn't work quite well with my computer. Instead of doors creaking, or collision when I attack something, I just get a soft 'ding' noise. Comparing my Dosbox installation to the GoG one, they've compartmentalized it quite a bit. No sound installation manager, and I can't find the config files that manage it either.

Ah, figured it out. If you go into the UNDEROM1/Data directory of the GoG installation, there's a file named UW.CFG . If you open it up, there's just three lines; these handle how it emulates the sound and speech. I set the first line to "4 -1 -1 -1 sound" and the second to "2 -1 -1 -1 speech", minus the quotes, and everything works great now, sounds like it should.

Geomancing fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 3, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Geomancing posted:

Playing through Ultima Underworld. I actually have the original game and ripped it to run in Dosbox, but I bought it from GoG to support their movement. There seems to be a lot of sounds either missing in the GoG version, or it's automatically set up to emulate a sound card that doesn't work quite well with my computer. Instead of doors creaking, or collision when I attack something, I just get a soft 'ding' noise. Comparing my Dosbox installation to the GoG one, they've compartmentalized it quite a bit. No sound installation manager, and I can't find the config files that manage it either.

Ah, figured it out. If you go into the UNDEROM1/Data directory of the GoG installation, there's a file named UW.CFG . If you open it up, there's just three lines; these handle how it emulates the sound and speech. I set the first line to "4 -1 -1 -1 sound" and the second to "2 -1 -1 -1 speech", minus the quotes, and everything works great now, sounds like it should.

You should post this in the GOG forums so that people will know.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So the Dungeon Keeper manual is listed as 60 MB but downloads to about 1.2 MB :psyduck:

Dungeon Keeper is on GoG? Holy poo poo Privateer as well? Jesus I have something to do during the weekend. :unsmith:

member001
Feb 19, 2011

Holy Cheese posted:

Dungeon Keeper is on GoG? Holy poo poo Privateer as well? Jesus I have something to do during the weekend. :unsmith:

Just remember the awesome Priv expansion Righteous Fire isn't part of the package, yet.
I think there is a chance that RF will be on GOG in the future but it isn't part of the package right now.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't get it - this just takes me to a dead page... :|

EDIT: What? That's so weird... now it loads up what it was supposed to. Oh well. Internet. *shrug*

Me too and for whatever reason when I go to hxxp://www.ultimaforever.com, it sends me to hxxp://areasnap.com/?keywords=www.ultimaforever.com first before giving me the dead page. Even using google doesn't bring me to the website.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Dungeon Keeper? Oh hell yes.

I'm really happy to see Alpha Centauri coming too. That game was really innovative for the time. I still wish they had brought over the ability to assemble your own unit types to the main Civ series. Half the fun was pondering what would stomp your current opponent for the best value. drat those worm invasions at times though.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I love HOMM3 but I'm actually a heretic who liked 5 better. I think we can all agree 4 wasn't very good.
4 is my favourite, but it features some pretty significant departures from the HOMM standards so I can understand why some people hate it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, Magic Carpet. Worth playing?
I'm going to disagree with Threep and kissekatt here and say that it definitely is worth playing. As far as I know, there's really no other game quite like Magic Carpet (except for Magic Carpet 2, natch), and if you can get past the admittedly frustrating elements - enemy wizards constantly stealing your mana, enemies spawning when you fly over invisible triggers - you've got yourself a really frantic, exciting, and unique shooter. Although you start out able only to pop off puny little fireballs, by the end of the game you'll be hurling giant meteors, raising armies of the undead, and erecting volcanoes willy-nilly. It's like playing any other Bullfrog-made god game, except in first-person and without the extensive base-building (you only need to spawn a castle, and 'upgrade' it as you collect more mana).

It's also neat to have, I think, simply for the fact that from a technical point of view it was basically 1994's Crysis - gobsmackingly gorgeous, but incredibly demanding on the hardware - and that it is probably the only game in existence to incorporate not just an anaglyph display mode (i.e. for classic red-and-green 3D glasses) to simulate true 3D, but even a realtime autostereogram mode. Needless to say the latter is completely unplayable, but I still love the sheer novelty of it.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Centipeed posted:

You should post this in the GOG forums so that people will know.

Indeed they should, real good catch there.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Both UU and SS are games I really want to play but can't because they exist in a time before modern control paradigms.

Something like U7 was criticized by SUPERFANS at the time for having a massively simplified UI, but it's actually a huge leap forward. Of course, it exists in it's own self imposed exile by forcing a memory management scheme that's totally incompatible with anything in existence today (and frankly, as incompatible with anything of the day, too) so it's almost impossible to play unless you play an emulation.

Fortunately, there's Exult, which is an open-source improvement over the U7 engine. You do need legit U7 data to use it, though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

a medical mystery posted:

Fortunately, there's Exult, which is an open-source improvement over the U7 engine. You do need legit U7 data to use it, though.

Which, unfortunately, means most people will still never get to see it. The hassle of pirating a 20 year old game and then downloading an emulator for the engine is just too many steps. Plus, last I checked, Exult was still significantly buggier than the original.

I haven't' checked in years, though.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

U7 works fine in vanilla DOSBox for me.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Which, unfortunately, means most people will still never get to see it. The hassle of pirating a 20 year old game and then downloading an emulator for the engine is just too many steps. Plus, last I checked, Exult was still significantly buggier than the original.

I haven't' checked in years, though.

Exult still has a number of bugs, yes. I tried running it a while back and ran into one of the bugs they know about but haven't been able to replicate reliably or nail down its cause. Basically all the doors and some walls and windows vanish from the gameworld, and your inventory starts vanishing as well. Basically they said 'go back to a savegame from before it happened'.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm going to disagree with Threep and kissekatt here and say that it definitely is worth playing. As far as I know, there's really no other game quite like Magic Carpet (except for Magic Carpet 2, natch), and if you can get past the admittedly frustrating elements - enemy wizards constantly stealing your mana, enemies spawning when you fly over invisible triggers - you've got yourself a really frantic, exciting, and unique shooter. Although you start out able only to pop off puny little fireballs, by the end of the game you'll be hurling giant meteors, raising armies of the undead, and erecting volcanoes willy-nilly. It's like playing any other Bullfrog-made god game, except in first-person and without the extensive base-building (you only need to spawn a castle, and 'upgrade' it as you collect more mana).

It's also neat to have, I think, simply for the fact that from a technical point of view it was basically 1994's Crysis - gobsmackingly gorgeous, but incredibly demanding on the hardware - and that it is probably the only game in existence to incorporate not just an anaglyph display mode (i.e. for classic red-and-green 3D glasses) to simulate true 3D, but even a realtime autostereogram mode. Needless to say the latter is completely unplayable, but I still love the sheer novelty of it.

Magic Carpet 2 is definitely the better game, though. It essentially makes the first one obsolete; the same engine, but larger, more interesting levels and lots more powers.

I loving love Magic Carpet. There really isn't anything like it. It's very much focused on exploration, but you end up getting immensely powerful, i.e. summoning volcanoes out of the ground and stuff. It's sheer ambition like that that made Bullfrog such a great company at the time.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
And then Molyneux decided that making generic but overhyped RPGs was his true calling. :smith:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, it hasn't gotten any mention yet, but Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic is down to $5 this weekend. It's basically Heroes of Might & Magic, but better. A fair few people consider it something of a spiritual successor to Master Of Magic, too.

Get it. Then get this fan-patch, which is so good that the developers link to it from their official site instead of the official patch.

And if you want to spice the game up once you've played it for a while, this is the most popular mod for it by far, to the point where quite a lot of community-made scenarios require it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 3, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Bought the whole Age of Wonders pack thanks to that deal.

And Temple of Elemental evil.
And Guilty Gear 2 because some goon recommanded it (it's awesome).
And the Witcher 1, Arcanum and Privateer because why not.

Bless that cheap dollar :unsmith: (fun fact: The Witcher 2 is almost 33% cheaper on GoG compared to Steam for me thanks to the difference between the Euro and the Dollar)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I got the EA newsletter in my inbox stating that the next three EA games (Crusader, Alpha Centauri, and Magic Carpet) are all going to have $5.99 price tags.

I'm starting to worry a bit if this vanilla game release thing is going to be a trend now with EA games. I'm still glad we have them on board, but it still feels like the equivalent of going to a brick-and-mortar store and buying half of a CD. Plus, GOG has spoiled me with all the extras they put in with their previous games tot he point of me expecting it all the time now.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Re: System Shock and Syndicate (Link)

GOG.com posted:

Just like Guillaume stated during the conference, rights for both Syndicate and System Shock series are divided between couple companies and we need some time and work to deal with this.
Of course we'll do whatever we can to solve this and we hope to release those awesome classics sometime in the future. If we will, you'll know about it for sure.

Also, they can't even release Dungeon Keeper in additional languages yet because of legal issues:

GOG.com posted:

We didn't obtain the rights to release the game in other languages. It may be the case that the localized versions of the game have been made by other companies with whom we'd have to sign separate contracts.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Magic Carpet 2 is definitely the better game, though. It essentially makes the first one obsolete; the same engine, but larger, more interesting levels and lots more powers.
Now I'm sad that I only ever played the demo of Magic Carpet 2, which seemed perfectly fine but just more of the same. :smith:

Maybe GOG will end up releasing it, too, though. :unsmith:

Also, thinking of Magic Carpet made me realise how novel its worlds (levels) were, each being a small planet that you could circle completely, rather than boxed-in areas. The only other games I can think of which are also based on miniature planets are Super Mario Galaxy, Spore, and Bullfrog's own Populous: The Beginning.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Dungeon Keeper Easter Egg: Enemy Keepers will fax you threats if your printer is on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Now I'm sad that I only ever played the demo of Magic Carpet 2, which seemed perfectly fine but just more of the same. :smith:

Maybe GOG will end up releasing it, too, though. :unsmith:

Also, thinking of Magic Carpet made me realise how novel its worlds (levels) were, each being a small planet that you could circle completely, rather than boxed-in areas. The only other games I can think of which are also based on miniature planets are Super Mario Galaxy, Spore, and Bullfrog's own Populous: The Beginning.

I'm actually really surprised no one has just straight up copied the MC formula for an XBLA game or something. It's really simple, but a lot of fun and works well for multiplayer, too. And there aren't any other games like it so you could probably attract at least a minor community.

For those who don't know what it actually is, it's a first person (flying) game in which you play a dude on, naturally, a magic carpet. Your goal is to run around killing random mobs and "paint" the yellow orbs they leave behind with your colour. You choose to build a castle at any location on the map, which spawns a balloon that flies around and gathers orbs of your colour and takes them back to your castle.

This generates mana. The more mana you get, the bigger your spell threshold grows, the more powerful spells you can cast, the more you can upgrade your castle. There are like 20-something spells that range from massive lightning bolts to humongous fireballs to, as has been mentioned, erecting volcanoes out of the ground. In multiplayer matches you of course compete against each other, but because of the variability of the powers, i.e. terrain deformation, it gets really goddamn crazy at times.

Magic Carpet 2 introduces (I think) underground levels, the later ones of which are goddamn huge, so it becomes a spelunking game on top. The further you go away from your castle, the more you risk someone attacking it, but the bigger chance you have of getting loot and upgrades. There are also huge goddamn bosses and neutral cities and stuff later in the game. It's goddamn brilliant, and I totally want to play it right now :allears:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm actually really surprised no one has just straight up copied the MC formula for an XBLA game or something. It's really simple, but a lot of fun and works well for multiplayer, too. And there aren't any other games like it so you could probably attract at least a minor community.

For those who don't know what it actually is, it's a first person (flying) game in which you play a dude on, naturally, a magic carpet. Your goal is to run around killing random mobs and "paint" the yellow orbs they leave behind with your colour. You choose to build a castle at any location on the map, which spawns a balloon that flies around and gathers orbs of your colour and takes them back to your castle.

This generates mana. The more mana you get, the bigger your spell threshold grows, the more powerful spells you can cast, the more you can upgrade your castle. There are like 20-something spells that range from massive lightning bolts to humongous fireballs to, as has been mentioned, erecting volcanoes out of the ground. In multiplayer matches you of course compete against each other, but because of the variability of the powers, i.e. terrain deformation, it gets really goddamn crazy at times.

Magic Carpet 2 introduces (I think) underground levels, the later ones of which are goddamn huge, so it becomes a spelunking game on top. The further you go away from your castle, the more you risk someone attacking it, but the bigger chance you have of getting loot and upgrades. There are also huge goddamn bosses and neutral cities and stuff later in the game. It's goddamn brilliant, and I totally want to play it right now :allears:

This description makes the game sound like Sacrifice, with possibly more terrain deformation and less using creatures to attack.

Man, Sacrifice was awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It is kind of like Sacrifice, now that I think about it, though, yeah, there aren't really any RTS/creature management mechanics. You're the one doing all the work, but your massive repertoire of growing abilities is what makes the game.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Molybdenum posted:

Dungeon Keeper Easter Egg: Enemy Keepers will fax you threats if your printer is on.

does this still work? I would think with dungeon keeper being an old DOS game that it would be looking for a printer on LPT1 which I doubt anyone besides some businesses have anymore

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So I just took a look at the Dungeon Keeper directory, and it does have Deeper Dungeons, it just uses a different exe (and the menus don't have any text on the title screen).

If you edit the autoexec section of dosboxDK.conf to read Deeper.exe instead of Keeper.exe you can play it.

If you want a persistent shortcut,make a copy of the dosboxDK.conf named dosboxDD.conf with the Deeper.exe line, and make a copy of the Dungeon Keeper shortcut leading to that conf file instead.

I'm assuming it's not easily available because of the lack of text, but the names of the levels load, and the levels themselves load (at least the one I tried), so it seems safe to use.

Maybe someone with privateer check that for another exe too?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

System Shock 1 and 2 are almost like the Triforce, split up into tiny parts that can only be united by the chosen one.

I have always wanted to play that game series, so much in fact I was tempted on dropping 50 dollars on a used copy to play it on my old Dell from 2004.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Are you guys remembering to hit "R" to enable high-res mode in Magic Carpet? That game was insanely scalable for the time. I believe either the number or F-keys were used to toggle piles of other graphical features as well.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Crossposting from the Arcanum thread in case any Mac-owning GOG players can help:

I have Crossfire on my MacBook, which lets me play almost everything GOG releases thanks to their easy installer exe's. BUT I am wondering how I can install all the fan patches etc over the Crossfire installed version so that I can have the best Arcanum experience possible. Any of you awesome nerds able to help someone who recently had to trade Windows laptop -> MacBook for work, but still wants to get his old-school RPG on?

What might be possible is to download the full thing from someone who has it installed on their machine and just copy over file for file. As far as Crossfire knows, it just needs to open the proper exe in the correctly emulated Windows XP environment, right?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

senae posted:

So I just took a look at the Dungeon Keeper directory, and it does have Deeper Dungeons, it just uses a different exe (and the menus don't have any text on the title screen).

If you edit the autoexec section of dosboxDK.conf to read Deeper.exe instead of Keeper.exe you can play it.

If you want a persistent shortcut,make a copy of the dosboxDK.conf named dosboxDD.conf with the Deeper.exe line, and make a copy of the Dungeon Keeper shortcut leading to that conf file instead.

I'm assuming it's not easily available because of the lack of text, but the names of the levels load, and the levels themselves load (at least the one I tried), so it seems safe to use.

Maybe someone with privateer check that for another exe too?

Nope. :( There's a PRIVCD.EXE, but that does nothing.

I don't know how serious EA or GOG might be about obscure IP rights to a minor expansion and your DK finding though, so hold onto that installer :tinfoil:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 3, 2011

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I'll take it from ^^^ that post that this shouldn't be here so I'm totally buying it.

senae posted:

This is the thing everyone was upset that was missing? And it technically shouldn't be there? If so I'm buying it right now just in case I want to play it in the future since DK came after my time or at least before I got my first PC.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Are you guys remembering to hit "R" to enable high-res mode in Magic Carpet? That game was insanely scalable for the time. I believe either the number or F-keys were used to toggle piles of other graphical features as well.
From the manual:

quote:

F4: Toggle softened image on/off
F5: Turn reflections on/off
F6: Turn sky on/off
F7: Turn shadows on/off
F8: Toggle icons and map on/off
F9: Toggle speed blur on/off
F10: Toggle between 3D, Stereogram and normal modes. Press once for
red/blue 3D mode (glasses supplied), press again
Good luck playing the game with all the goods turned on and in SVGA on 1994 hardware, though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I wish the GOG team would take orders to fix up old games and get them to run on modern systems.

I have this obscure Adventure/RTS hybrid called Kosmopolska, one of the first games I finished, that won't work even on a virtual Win 98 machine. :smith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Geomancing posted:

Exult still has a number of bugs, yes. I tried running it a while back and ran into one of the bugs they know about but haven't been able to replicate reliably or nail down its cause. Basically all the doors and some walls and windows vanish from the gameworld, and your inventory starts vanishing as well. Basically they said 'go back to a savegame from before it happened'.

I have finished the game with Exult with no problems. You just need to be aware of it's bugs. Also it fixes many stock bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Red_Fred posted:

I have finished the game with Exult with no problems. You just need to be aware of it's bugs. Also it fixes many stock bugs.

Same here, I've had no problems using Exult :) SI crashed out a few times in a previous version, but no problems recently. I do play that game A LOT!