Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

So when I told my breeder that I couldn't find a good groomer and that I no longer could handle Sitka's coat on my own--or more to the point my house's 80 year old pipes couldn't handle it--she told me to bring Sitka down to her so that she could play with her brother, have a bath, and get a pedicure. Which is awesome on a lot of levels. So we did.

Apparently driving is the ideal time to check out my husband's new hair cut:

Pat's Rowdy doing his orangutang imitation

Sitka & her brother JB playing

Sitka towards the end of bath time

Bath & pedicure took us about 2 hours. Oh my god so much hair. Apparently it was exhausting for everyone involved

But not so exhausting that she wasn't up for tug when we got home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
:3: That sounds awesome! Looks like she had fun. All those Mals are so pretty.

So in other news, I don't know if you guys saw my posts in the random nonsense thread this morning but our neighbor's Doberman broke a plank in our fence so we can't use the yard for now. He also stole my girlfriend's shoe out of our yard which is kinda :3:. That said I went out there to clean a bit and look at the damage (our landlord is coming out soon) and this is what was watching me the whole time (Pictured below: obviously not their Doberman, he was too busy barking at me. Though once he did bring his Kong up the the hole to show me :3:):

rivals fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 16, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

rivals posted:

:neckbeard: He looks so guilty peeking in there.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

paisleyfox posted:

Dude, I was thinking of eventually getting to Jindos, but seeing how long it took me to do the friggin Shiba post, I have no idea when that would be.

Write it up if you want to! :haw: I love Jindo! And I only know a little about them, so please go nuts!

ok, calling dibs on it then. Have some cute for now:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Reading about your problems with shedding makes me feel glad that my primitives are intact. It's not always a bonus, but it's definately a good thing they shed only twice a year this way. I used to have a spayed bitch and she would shed a bit all the time. I actually brush the girls only, when they are shedding (and before shows) and it's been years since I last bathed either one of them. They do swim during the summers. And springs which is why my Naru got a bath a month or so ago, but this was from my friend as we had switched dogs for a while. (She managed to let her loose next to a not so clean park pond.) Healy got her last bath summer of -09 after rolling in some cow dung...

Socratic Method Man
Dec 23, 2008
LF Grandma

:toot:

Riiseli posted:

Reading about your problems with shedding makes me feel glad that my primitives are intact. It's not always a bonus, but it's definately a good thing they shed only twice a year this way.

but fur is so much easier to vacuum up than puppies. :ohdear:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

rivals posted:

:3: That sounds awesome! Looks like she had fun. All those Mals are so pretty.

Pat really does have a beautiful group of mals. She's going to spay Sitka's mother about a month from now though. Scandal only had two litters but Pat's decided that it's too hard emotionally on Scandal because she gets really distressed when her puppies go to other families, and Pat & Tom are starting to tone down the dog show thing now that they have both hit their late 70's. Yeah, think about that for a second. Late 70s with 4 malamutes and damned if you could tell either Pat or Tom were past 60. I guess primitive breeds make you live longer if they don't give you a massive heart attack first.

quote:

Oh my god that it is the cutest of cute faces. He looks so distressed.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

jindo post is nearly done, I'm just annoyed because most of it is more or less "yep, jindos do *generic primitive thing* only, you know, MORE"

edit: gonna move this question somewhere it'll be not a derail.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 1, 2011

Bonerclese
Apr 28, 2007
BONERCLESE CARES NOT FOR BEANS!
I have returned with new pictures of my Chow, Wong.

Just chillin, being righteous

Yawning it up after watching me go down into the basement.

Best of fwends

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy loving table breaking.

Adorable dog though :3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita had a grand adventure to the beach. She's scared of waves, but loves the water.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Bonerclese posted:

Yawning it up after watching me go down into the basement.

This is the cutest face. She looks so happy! Looking at with non-table breaking size, her face is literally "^_^"

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

A friend's BYB husky (apparently - she loves more like a malamute to me though), Sky :3: I hadn't seen her before today since she was a teeny tiny pup, and that was about two years ago, now. While we were out she just wanted to play with everyone and everything, including a couple of sheep (they were as fluffy as her, after all), is that a husky/mal trait?

Wanna steal dis dawg.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's definitely a husky, mals only ever have brown eyes. She looks more like a mal, though, because she has a wooly coat. :3: It's a fault in huskies (obviously, all that coat is not conducive to working conditions) but some BYBs will even breed for it, because it's *~*~*Special!!*~*~* Regardless of where she came from, though, she's still a super cute dog. :3:

& yeah, being friendly like that is definitely a husky trait. :3: The joke is, if you own a husky and a robber comes in, all they'll do is run up to get some lovin' then show the intruder where all the good stuff is. :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I thought mal from her fur/build, yeah :) I couldn't remember whether it was huskies or mals that had the blue eyes. She could possibly be husky-mal I guess, she just looks *so* much different from the sleek, shorter-coated huskies I've seen in the past. She was totally gorgeous though, the photos don't do her justice, and while we were in the car she kept reaching over from the back seat to lick my cheek and neck :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

I thought mal from her fur/build, yeah :) I couldn't remember whether it was huskies or mals that had the blue eyes. She could possibly be husky-mal I guess, she just looks *so* much different from the sleek, shorter-coated huskies I've seen in the past. She was totally gorgeous though, the photos don't do her justice, and while we were in the car she kept reaching over from the back seat to lick my cheek and neck :3:

Nope. Just a BYB husky. Brown eyes are normally dominant. I don't think you'd see blue eyes in any Mal mix. She is quite the looker though.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

a life less posted:

Nope. Just a BYB husky. Brown eyes are normally dominant. I don't think you'd see blue eyes in any Mal mix. She is quite the looker though.

Yep, she looked like a wooly husky, to me. :3: You can also get wooly Akita and Shiba (the coat looks like a nightmare! heh) but I tend to prefer the shorter standard fur.

Except for your friend's husky, makes her look like a mini mal. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I forgot about size differences between huskies and mals - she was probably only about average for a husky, anyway. Just that coat :3: I'm really jonesing for a husky dog now, such happy little lovebugs.

I didn't know you could get long haired shibas, that just sounds bizarre. Gonna find me an adorable shelter primitive'y dog sometime and play with it and enjoy that lovely coat :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Fraction posted:

I forgot about size differences between huskies and mals - she was probably only about average for a husky, anyway. Just that coat :3: I'm really jonesing for a husky dog now, such happy little lovebugs.

I didn't know you could get long haired shibas, that just sounds bizarre. Gonna find me an adorable shelter primitive'y dog sometime and play with it and enjoy that lovely coat :)

To tell you the truth, I've never seen one in person (or at least I don't think I have) and I only know of one named Tanuki (A New York Shiba?).

Next to his regular Shiba sister...

P1100996 by jmfeher92, on Flickr

DSC_0134 by jmfeher92, on Flickr

PRECIOUS LITTLE ANGEL

P1120087 by jmfeher92, on Flickr

Again, a recessive gene gets passed down somewhere to give them long glorious coats and turn them into ShibaChows. :3: But they're not bred for as it's a huge fault.

One of my favorite Akita breeders has a wooly, too. :3:

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 3, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

One of my favorite Akita breeders has a wooly, too. :3:

Tanuki is adorable holy poo poo :3: Also I think I recognize that from that LA breeder you posted a while back, I still check their site pretty regularly.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
At the shelter I volunteer at I saw handsome, older, purebred, black and tan shiba.

Listed as a Husky x terrier cross.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Tanuki is adorable holy poo poo :3: Also I think I recognize that from that LA breeder you posted a while back, I still check their site pretty regularly.

Yeah, that's Ben's Yuuki. :3: He like, never updates his website, but I found him on Facebook, so hopefully he friends me back. :ohdear:

Invalid Octopus posted:

At the shelter I volunteer at I saw handsome, older, purebred, black and tan shiba.

Listed as a Husky x terrier cross.

This happens a LOT.

People think Reds/Sesames are foxes/wolves/coyotes, and B&T and creamies are huskies/klee kais/Alaskan Dogs (???)]

When you try to explain what they are to people who don't know Shibas or Akitas (can't say they're small Akitas) usually I say they're like small Japanese huskies. Which then gets the "What kind of sled can they pull?!" :downs: line.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

Yeah, that's Ben's Yuuki. :3: He like, never updates his website, but I found him on Facebook, so hopefully he friends me back. :ohdear:

That's awesome, but yeah I've noticed haha. I love the picture with the samurai dude because he looks so stoked. Also all the dogs are ridiculously gorgeous so it never gets old.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Here's a shiba video for everyone's enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVygTrnm_QI

edit: And another with snow and bonus huskies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opiQC8gnHIc

Steve French fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 5, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Pt Isabel is near Berkeley right? I've thought about bringing my dogs out there. That's awesome that both your Husky and Shiba seem pretty trustworthy offleash in open areas like that. If we ever made it out there I think I'd keep Kaidan on leash, he's way too likely to dart. :ohdear:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Heeey we go to Pt Isabel every week with Keeper! You should definitely come out, rivals, it's an awesome park.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

If there are weekend times when it's less crowded (I don't know how crowded it gets in general) then we'd be down to make a trip out there some weekend soon. Kaidan's not so hot with other dogs but he'd be on leash. Eris would probably love it though.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Weekends are usually pretty packed, unfortunately, but the early morning can be a great time; not many people have to work, so not many people are up and about before 9. There's a dog cafe and grooming station, and a couple different options for paths so that you can choose to avoid problems if you need to.

I love that park; it's definitely the right size and style for avoiding serious confrontation, at least from what I've seen.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Fraction posted:

A friend's BYB husky (apparently - she loves more like a malamute to me though), Sky :3: I hadn't seen her before today since she was a teeny tiny pup, and that was about two years ago, now. While we were out she just wanted to play with everyone and everything, including a couple of sheep (they were as fluffy as her, after all), is that a husky/mal trait?]
Wanna steal dis dawg.

I was going to ask why you were posting photos of my dog, until I saw a slight difference on the nose. Sisters.

Even the photo of you walking the three looked like you had my other dog (bully mix on the right) but your photodog has a tail.

Black rugs and huskies don't mix as well as you might think.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There's actually a semi-organized husky meetup at Point Isabel that I've gone to a few times. Usually at 9:30 or so on Saturdays, you can find a whole bunch of husky owners all there at the same time.

A lot of people go there, but it's also a fairly large dog park, and there are definitely certain less crowded areas of it.

HappyIceCuber
Jun 6, 2011

erryday
Hey guys, ever heard of a TIbetan Mastiff? They don't seem to be very well known, but this is our Tibetan Mastiff Robert

This is Robert as a puppy:

being goofy

sleeping with Jackie the terrier (who sadly passe away)

and this is him all growed up:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Now that is a beautiful dog. Is that the breed where the red ones can fetch crazy amounts of money?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Steve French posted:

There's actually a semi-organized husky meetup at Point Isabel that I've gone to a few times. Usually at 9:30 or so on Saturdays, you can find a whole bunch of husky owners all there at the same time.

A lot of people go there, but it's also a fairly large dog park, and there are definitely certain less crowded areas of it.

Oh interesting, thanks for that. Maybe we'll try to check it out, Kaidan has historically done well with other Huskies, or at least better than with most other breeds.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh wow, IceCuber he is a stunning dog! :)

Backpacking, wooo picture time.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

rebounded posted:

I was going to ask why you were posting photos of my dog, until I saw a slight difference on the nose. Sisters.

Even the photo of you walking the three looked like you had my other dog (bully mix on the right) but your photodog has a tail.

Black rugs and huskies don't mix as well as you might think.

That's right, I stole your dogs :colbert: What you gonna do about it, huh?

Your dogs are adorable as all-out by the way :3: I think Sky was lighter than your girl though, she had quite a lot of creamy sort of splodges.

I think I scared my friend today, we were in a pet shop and there was ohmygod the most adorable little black/white husky there :swoon: I kept telling my friend I was going to steal him, and I kept it up for the ten minutes the dog was in sight. I need help, or else one day I will steal someone's primitive dog.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Don't know how interested anyone is in all this stuff, but there's a huge scandal going on now with Czechoslovakian Vlcaks:

http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18510

Apparently, a litter of puppies was produced by two CsVs who are, on paper, completely purebred. Out of this litter, 3 of the puppies turned out red, which is completely unheard of. It's been long believed that CsVs are homozygous BB, meaning they all carry nothing but the dominant traits for black pigmentation, which causes dark noses & lips, as well as dark tipping to their fur. What this means, is that BOTH of the parents must carry a recessive gene (Bb) in order for these puppies to exist. :monocle:

This means one of two things, both with very far reaching results:

1) There has somehow been a mutation along the lines from some sort of bottle necking in the start of the breed that caused the new coloring to pop up. This would mean that, despite all the efforts in place to maintain the genetic diversity of the breed, we're still seeing effects. It also means we could start seeing the coloring popping up elsewhere, so either it would be just another thing to breed away from (like you would with health testing, only much more vain, and limiting the gene pool) or the breed standard would have to change.

2) Somewhere in the mix, Saarloos Wolfhound was either purposely or accidentally bred into these lines. Saarloos have red dogs all the time, so it would make sense that a breeding like that would result in carriers if a red dog were bred, so this is the more likely option between the two. The worst part, though, is that BOTH parents had to be carriers, meaning that in order for these results to occur, both lines were tainted by mixing breeds. Tracking back, and consequentially, tracking FORWARD to offspring of the dogs in the pedigrees, it's quite alarming to think how far this would reach. It would seriously tarnish the name of HUNDREDS of dogs, a lot of which have been valuable to the breed. I have no idea what would happen with these lines, then. Obviously, the owners wouldn't have a clue ahead of time, and all of a sudden their dogs will be marked as mixes. I have no idea what they would do about it, on the one hand, they're trying SO hard to keep the breed pure (because there are a ton of people INTENTIONALLY breeding mixes, trying to make *~*~*SUPER WOLFY!!*~*~* dogs), but on the other hand, it's shocking how many dogs this could potentially block from breeding.

Now they're trying to track back, do DNA testing, and figure out where this "problem" came from. It's been really interesting following what's going on, so I figured I'd share. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

Now they're trying to track back, do DNA testing, and figure out where this "problem" came from. It's been really interesting following what's going on, so I figured I'd share. :)

I caught a little wind of this through facebook but I've been trying to keep away from the forums because I'm sure the backlash is huge. Definitely keep this thread updated with interesting stuff if you want though, I'm always curious and interested but sometimes the drama there is crazy.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The thread about it is surprisingly calm. Seems like people are of the attitude, "Well, so long as people are willing to get their dogs tested, no one has anything to hide," and people seem cooperative. It's quite possible it all stems from accidental breedings from breeders with lots of dogs (who also own Saarloos, obviously), so people are willing to help search just so it can be shown that there were mistakes. Also, to see what dogs are related to the red ones.

I've also been meaning to PM you, lots of unrelated drama I wanted to see if you knew about. :ninja:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Very interesting! I'm leaning more towards there being a Saarloos Wolfhound in the mix somewhere in the lines, whether intentionally or not. On the other hand GSDs carry that line so it is possible for it to pop up eventually... I guess we'll have to wait and see!

I also found out a while back why Hrafn is non-FCI. It stems from his grandmother (http://www.wolfdog.org/eng/dbase/d5920.html) not being registered - thus any dog from her lines not being registered - but to find out the reason for that I had to email the original breeder of her, the owner of Lynx von Legend. (oh boy...)

quote:

Princess d Aube is non fci because she was from the first litter in the uk, she did have kc registration until defra told the kennel club that the czech wolfdog needed a D.W.A.L (this was amended in 2008 in court case between myself and defra) The kennel club made no effort to help me in my fight with defra, so in 2008 when I did get the DWAL lifted the k.c. then contacted me and asked me to put forward all my original dogs and pups up for registration again. I refused, so any czech born in uk from her will have non fci after its name.

That is the story so far, the people on wolfdog.org banned me because i kicked up about the breeding practice of an italian kennels who bred a bitch at the age of 10 months old and had her 11th litter at 10yrs old, had 4 litters in 2 years. Nice people. I very rarely breed czech wolfdogs now, 1 litter every 2 years, i have imported 4 new bloodlines but most people x breed now so i don't let any new bloodlines out, its not worth it. I breed with people from USA and Europe now and we produce wolfdogs that are now very very wolflike in every way, thank you for your mail regards Ronnie

:can: :can:

I wonder if that means I could get Hrafn FCI registered then..? As he is from purebred CsV lines. To be honest I have no clue now the FCI goes about things like that, if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sock Weasel posted:

I wonder if that means I could get Hrafn FCI registered then..? As he is from purebred CsV lines. To be honest I have no clue now the FCI goes about things like that, if at all.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea, either. Seems like a difficult thing for us here in the US, when I've talked to people here about it, they give me answers, but it still sounds like THEY don't quite know how it works, even if their dogs are registered. :) Seems like it would be a lot of politics/hoops to jump through to get him registered, but you're right, it seems like it could be possible since you have his whole pedigree on file. :iiam:

• Locked thread