Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I think we've been told multiple times that it's possible to do that and there was a famous kill using jumpjet exhaust. I wonder if he'd let it be possible to bow down next to a swarmed buddy, hold on with magnetic feet, and blast out some lateral exhaust.

I now have the mental image of a BattleMech attempting to fart Elementals off of another 'Mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Since no one mentioned it, I think you made a mistake here (or wrote it down wrongly):

quote:

I3 Wyvern fires Large Laser at C1 Guillotine? (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement + 1 Partial Cover = 7): rolled (1+6) 7, miss!
Needs a 7, rolled a 7. That should be a hit.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
How good Elementals are also depends on what your enemy brings to the party. Massed use of infernos or area-effect weapons tend to gently caress the little blighters over just like normal infantry.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Later revisions of history had the first operational power armor be the Nighthawk PA(L) suits that were a SLDF secret toy. They were developed right before the fall of the Star League and were pretty much lost until Comstar/WoB started to recreate them.

Effectively they're powered suits of ballistic plate with a really nice stealth package. No built-in weapons but fantastic sneaky suits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Later revisions of history had the first operational power armor be the Nighthawk PA(L) suits that were a SLDF secret toy. They were developed right before the fall of the Star League and were pretty much lost until Comstar/WoB started to recreate them.

There's a lot of variety in battle armor, once you go along.

The Clans eventually field a lot of specialized stuff:
The Undine for purely underwater operations.
The Salamander for anti-infantry and urban warfare.
The Sylph for airborne attacks.
The Gnome and Golem for heavy assaults.
The Aerie for deep space fighting.
The Corona for mech-killing.
The Afreet for... only Clan Ice Hellion would need to build a suit of battle armor who's primary attribute is 'goes fast and dies easily'.

While the IS went hog wild with armors like:
A number of Elemental equivalents (IS Standard, Gray Death Standard, Longinus, Raiden, Cavalier)
The Hauberk for long range fire support.
The Infiltrator and Kage for commando ops.
The Kanazuchi and Grenadier for heavy combat and assaults.
The Rottweiler for crowd control.
The Trinity suits (Yin Long, Asterion, Theseus) for general combat.
The Fa Shih for being a god-damned dirty Capellan.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DTurtle posted:

Since no one mentioned it, I think you made a mistake here (or wrote it down wrongly):

Needs a 7, rolled a 7. That should be a hit.

You are technically correct (the best kind of correct). Fixed.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I admit I'm looking forward to the second part of this scenario, assuming it's the raid planet-side. Tor Miraborg deserves to come back bedecked with Blakist laurels so someone can coordinate the ComGuard.

Say PTN, Yorinaga Kurita and Morgan Kell are both still alive and active? Mind telling us about that, or is it to be revealed as the universe rolls on?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Say PTN, Yorinaga Kurita and Morgan Kell are both still alive and active? Mind telling us about that, or is it to be revealed as the universe rolls on?

They have bigger things to worry about than each other. Several prominant Kuritas will be making appearances.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Axe-man posted:

you can't fire at range zero and guess what happens if you miss your attack? yes that is right you just threw naplam on your buddy.

you want to throw napalm on your buddies, to force the elementals to either burn, or get the gently caress off the battlemech.

Also to be noted poptarts is taking a bit of cheatery here... normally battle armor has to spend the turn getting off a transport not moving or shooting, which gives you a chance to gently caress them, not happening here with ambush ace. If poptarts won't allow any cool tricks, like grabbing the dropship and spraying your buddy with jumpjet exhaust to knock off the elementals, it might be advisable for the two currently swarmed to space themselves, and everyone fall back and kill the elemental that has STOPPED MOVING next to the i3, perfect position to shoot the elementals and then kick one.

(it should be noted it is far easier to kick a suit of battle armor in a hex next to you rather than stomp ones in the same hex has you. +3 penalty if the suits are in the same hex as you, normal kick if they are one away.) :science:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AtomikKrab posted:

it might be advisable for the two currently swarmed to space themselves

On it, but it'll be difficult with this drat better than usual pilot skill

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Also to be noted poptarts is taking a bit of cheatery here... normally battle armor has to spend the turn getting off a transport not moving or shooting, which gives you a chance to gently caress them, not happening here with ambush ace. If poptarts won't allow any cool tricks, like grabbing the dropship and spraying your buddy with jumpjet exhaust to knock off the elementals.

I'm waiting for someone to try something, honestly. Options exist, even if option is just 'spin in place to try to build up enough momentum to throw the little bastards off'. It might actually work, if you're fast enough.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm waiting for someone to try something, honestly. Options exist, even if option is just 'spin in place to try to build up enough momentum to throw the little bastards off'. It might actually work, if you're fast enough.

HEAR THAT, YOU GOT OPTIONS FOLKS. get a friend to jumpjet attack you, move away from the enemy mechs first, the elementals are a bigger issue in this match than the mechs so murder city them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's a 180 turn, I remember "KRABPLAN" being "ignore the elementals, kill the mechs".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tempest_56 posted:

There's a lot of variety in battle armor, once you go along.

The Clans eventually field a lot of specialized stuff:
The Undine for purely underwater operations.
The Salamander for anti-infantry and urban warfare.
The Sylph for airborne attacks.
The Gnome and Golem for heavy assaults.
The Aerie for deep space fighting.
The Corona for mech-killing.
The Afreet for... only Clan Ice Hellion would need to build a suit of battle armor who's primary attribute is 'goes fast and dies easily'.

A number of Elemental equivalents (IS Standard, Gray Death Standard, Longinus, Raiden, Cavalier)

The Salamander is a wonderful (Read: Evil) thing to throw against players in a CBT RPG game. Those guys are ANGRY.

The Infiltrator is eventually replaced by the far superior Infiltrator Mk II, this fun guy that's armed with a Magshot Gauss Rifle, a stealth system, jump and parasail capabilities, and a nasty little sniper system to go with the Magshot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys I was bored so I decided to compile all the data from the combat logs to figure out exactly how damaged the enemy mechs are. Here are my findings: PTN, you can correct me if I got anything wrong (there were a couple of places where things didn't seem to add up right, so I suspect there's at least two typos).
pre:
C1 Guillotine?
ER PPC
2x LPL

Head		?/?
Left Torso	9/22
Center Torso	24/27
Right Torso	22/22
Left Arm	9/20
Right Arm	15/20
Left Leg	10/22
Right Leg	4/22
RLT		3/8
RCT		?/?
RRT		8/8

C2 Phoenix Hawk?
LPL
3x MPL
2x Streak SRM2
4x MG

Head		?/?
Left Torso	3/20
Center Torso	12/29
Right Torso	13/20
Left Arm	6/16
Right Arm	11/16
Left Leg	18/24
Right Leg	16/24
RLT		?/?
RCT		?/?
RRT		?/?

C3 Grasshopper?
LPL
4x MPL
LRM10

Head		?/?
Left Torso	21/24
Center Torso	32/34
Right Torso	14/24
Left Arm	7/24
Right Arm	22/24
Left Leg	24/32
Right Leg	19/32
RLT		?/?
RCT		?/?
RRT		?/?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 3, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Going to be away from the computer until tomorrow night, so I sent in some orders. Lets do this.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mr. Despair posted:

Lets do this.

Hey, can you change that so the Right Arm sort of hangs there uselessly?

I kid, I've loved the Crab ever since I let a girlfriend put one together and it looked like it wanted to give the universe a hug with its spindly little arms.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The question is, whether Duncan Marik will be up to the challenge, or whether the Free Worlds League would've been better off with the real Thomas Marik on the throne (hint: it wouldn't've).

Oh, c'mon, surely the real Thomas Marik would have reacted with prudence and rationalahahaha.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

loving grenadiers...

A Battle armor SRM barrage is usually an SRM2 from each trooper, and can do fairly massive damage with high accuracy, as moving penalties don't apply to infantry. This can be devastating, but it's only one shot, so it's not too hard to minimize damage.

A grenadier trooper packs an SRM4. With seven shots.

gently caress grenadiers.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Felime posted:

loving grenadiers...

A Battle armor SRM barrage is usually an SRM2 from each trooper, and can do fairly massive damage with high accuracy, as moving penalties don't apply to infantry. This can be devastating, but it's only one shot, so it's not too hard to minimize damage.

At least they move at a moderate waddle and have SRMs. I'm terrified of Hauberks and LRMs with Improved Stealth Armor.

Nothing like being hit by something outside your effective range that you can't see anyway.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

That's a 180 turn, I remember "KRABPLAN" being "ignore the elementals, kill the mechs".

Yeah, but they were apparently too stupid to understand the "kill mechs" plan. Granted, this does not bode well for the new "spin wildly and set yourself on fire" plan, but it does seem to synergize well with the things they've managed to do so far (by which I mean punching themselves in the face and dying).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Felime posted:

loving grenadiers...

That's nothing. Some canon designs mount SRM-5s. And NARC.

Nothing like a hyper-accurate SRM barrage to your rear armor.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The Salamander is a wonderful (Read: Evil) thing to throw against players in a CBT RPG game. Those guys are ANGRY.

I goddamn well love the Salamander. It's probably my favorite BA. It's horrific to infantry, packs infernos to mess up armor and ANY mech that gets hit with 10 flamers a turn is going to have heat issues. A lot of them. If I've got justification, I try to field a point or two of these every time.

If I can't? Fa Shih time! Why yes, I've got mine laying battle armor. Dance, you bastards!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey, that's impressive...wait, Hatchet Banshees? And you call yourself Defiance Industries!

The -8S Banshee is built at DefHes? If you're going to object to anything, it would be the two foreign designs... or the Hauptmann and Blitzkrieg, which are made by Coventry Metal Works... or the fact that I have a 2nd Donegal Company without a Defiance or Caesar (need customs for that).

The BTZ-4F, though? Huge goddamn turnaround for a design. Traded the UAC/20 for a Heavy PPC, TC, C3 slave, and jump jets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is there a reason that they can't just hit their jets while the magnets are on? They wouldn't go anywhere, but you would get a bunch of jet exhaust spraying out in a pretty uniform sphere (because there's no atmosphere).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nozzles are still nozzles. They would hit the deck and spread out in a non-spherical pattern.

It's still a good idea! Rocket exhaust can always be used as a makeshift weapon in a pinch.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Do we have any mechs with 360º torso twists? If that mech stays put, but holds onto a chain of the other four mechs made by linking their arms, and the mechs in the chain all lean forward and face the same direction and fire their jumpjets while turning off their magnetic feet, we can create a spinning mech mower blade.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nevets posted:

Do we have any mechs with 360º torso twists? If that mech stays put, but holds onto a chain of the other four mechs made by linking their arms, and the mechs in the chain all lean forward and face the same direction and fire their jumpjets while turning off their magnetic feet, we can create a spinning mech mower blade.

Unfortunately, outside of the advanced rules for Mech quirks, all mechs torso twist exactly the same.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
How about we dump some machine gun ammo, pick it up, and punch an enemy mech with it still in our fist?

Or since our mech's feet can be magnetized, try to kick the elementals. It takes a drat strong magnetic field to hold 60 tons of mech still while being hit with punches/kicks/missiles, etc. If their armor is attracted to the magnets they should stick there and be unable to move, then you just put your foot down.

Are there rules for physically picking up a mech? I know you can't kick higher that another mech's feet/legs, but someone picked you up you could theoretically kick at least arm/torso height. So a two man team could kick a friendly player who is being swarmed. The friendly mech would be strong enough to pullaway from the magnetic feet (especially with the lifting mech helping) but the elementals would be stuck on the the other one's soles. Then you make some old fashioned elemental wine.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nevets posted:

Or since our mech's feet can be magnetized, try to kick the elementals. It takes a drat strong magnetic field to hold 60 tons of mech still while being hit with punches/kicks/missiles, etc. If their armor is attracted to the magnets they should stick there and be unable to move, then you just put your foot down.

This is a brilliant idea

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wish I'd seen that before sending in my orders.

Well, assuming I don't die horribly, I can always give it a go next turn. :black101:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The -8S Banshee is built at DefHes?

By the Blakists, yes. They basically turned it into a Berserker, and that bothers me.

That is a great Blitzkrieg variant, though. I mean, it's basically an IS Pack Hunter, but it fits my style of jumping egregious distances with T-Comps to a T.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Well, after chuckling at the notion of a force with all-XL engines and nothing with better than 15 range, I'd point out that homogeneous units don't really exist in the universe anymore, outside of Kuritan Panther/Dragon formations. Especially not in the ComGuard.

Aside from the fact that assembling such a force would be difficult, I'm guessing you've never seen a good player use a bunch of 5/8 mechs on even mediocre terrain against Clantech. Sure, maybe the Clan force downs one on the way in, but then everything else gets in range and tells the Clanners to bite the curb.

Hell I'd be willing to bet you haven't seen the FLS-8K used in normal play very often. XL engines are a small price to pay for being able to combine speed and power. The FLS will get there, and when it gets there it will murder bitches. En masse it's pretty unreal what they can do. Good terrain means that between LOS obstructions/trees and being able to generate a +3 mod against, odds are about even that you won't even kill one while they close, and in the case of our hypothetical star vs. reinforced company matchup, there's way too many of them to actually escape from. Hell, even if you drop an entire lance on the way in, I can still go six on one target and six on another once I'm in close range, and it's game over for the clanner.

I mean, okay, that Star is pretty beastly, and it would do well against a bog standard level 1 company played by an average or worse player. But against a good player with a force tailored to fight the Clans, at better than 3:1 odds? Not a goddamn chance. No way.

ninja edit: In fact, if you'd like to test your little theory, you should get thee to the IRC channel so we can organize a test match on megamek.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 3, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

Aside from the fact that assembling such a force would be difficult, I'm guessing you've never seen a good player use a bunch of 5/8 mechs on even mediocre terrain against Clantech. Sure, maybe the Clan force downs one on the way in, but then everything else gets in range and tells the Clanners to bite the curb.

Hell I'd be willing to bet you haven't seen the FLS-8K used in normal play very often. XL engines are a small price to pay for being able to combine speed and power. The FLS will get there, and when it gets there it will murder bitches. En masse it's pretty unreal what they can do. Good terrain means that between LOS obstructions/trees and being able to generate a +3 mod against, odds are about even that you won't even kill one while they close, and in the case of our hypothetical star vs. reinforced company matchup, there's way too many of them to actually escape from. Hell, even if you drop an entire lance on the way in, I can still go six on one target and six on another once I'm in close range, and it's game over for the clanner.

I mean, okay, that Star is pretty beastly, and it would do well against a bog standard level 1 company played by an average or worse player. But against a good player with a force tailored to fight the Clans, at better than 3:1 odds? Not a goddamn chance. No way.

Dude, I love the Flashman. I play ComGuard a lot, sad as that is. Great cavalry Mech until it disintegrates. It's just inappropriate to have six, much less sixteen, of them in the same unit. Besides, what unit in this timeline is built to fight the Clans?

Obviously, I don't agree with your tactical analysis, and if I was going to choose a billion of the same Mech to use, it would probably be Highlanders, though that is entirely off the top of my head.

I'll ignore the thrust at my experience. Dick measuring gets us nowhere in a perfectly civil thread.

Reply to edit: Busy this weekend, but I'd be down for a test match next week, sure.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Dude, I love the Flashman. I play ComGuard a lot, sad as that is. Great cavalry Mech until it disintegrates. It's just inappropriate to have six, much less sixteen, of them in the same unit. Besides, what unit in this timeline is built to fight the Clans?

Obviously, I don't agree with your tactical analysis, and if I was going to choose a billion of the same Mech to use, it would probably be Highlanders, though that is entirely off the top of my head.

I'll ignore the thrust at my experience. Dick measuring gets us nowhere in a perfectly civil thread.

Reply to edit: Busy this weekend, but I'd be down for a test match next week, sure.

Highlanders against a Clan force, huh? Brave, I guess. But if it works for you...

And sorry about the cheap shot, it's just that a lot of MegaMekNet/MekWars and its successor MegaMek campaign clients has given me a lot of runs out against the cheapest of cheap Clan forces and I've got a pretty good idea what works and what doesn't. So running into someone who seems to take the exact opposite tack for that matchup is a bit of a shock to me, I guess, when years of dealing with that matchup tells me that 5/8+ movers against Clans = good, slow assaults = autoloss. A good Clan player will just lean on their speed and range advantage at long range, drag out the game, and make you cry. The key for me has always been to throw fast mediums and heavies with armor and good close-in punch, keep the pressure up, and lean on numbers, physicals, and massive amounts of guns to carry the game. It runs like clockwork and doesn't fail often. So I guess I was a little bit incredulous and mean, and I shouldn't have been.

Also I've never had a problem with having a Flashman just disintegrate under fire, but then my style is a bit different than most and it's an easy mech to get careless with.

Anyway, let me know what's a good day and time for you, what MegaMek rules options you want to use, etc.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 3, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Again Six King Crab, absolutely give no fucks, give no fucks like the Crab wishes it did.

Also I feel you lot are gonna lose, so hopefully the next round doesn't get screwed over/is incompetent.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think my way of playing is stupid but I can't help just desperately trying to get into brawling-range and starting to pummel my enemy with fists and lasers. gently caress speed and range

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

I think my way of playing is stupid but I can't help just desperately trying to get into brawling-range and starting to pummel my enemy with fists and lasers. gently caress speed and range

And I am the opposite. Given speed, armor, and weapons, my first priority is armor, my second priority is mobility, and third is weaponry; I would rather take a heavily armored highly mobile mech like the Lynx that only has a relatively sparse weapons loadout. Is it optimal? No. Is it my own predilections, that sometimes work against me? Yeah- I will in general always try to be the jumpy, ranged, speedy skirmisher rather than the slugger. (Playing that Zeus was agonizing for me- PTN can corroborate that no less than 4 times in the scenario I tried to use more movement than I had just because 4/6 hurt like fire). Basically, in my eyes the first duty of a battlemech is to stay combat-capable (paging von Tirpitz) and to me that means racking up the defensive +s to hit as well as having vicious armor to ward off what does get through.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 3, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I bid 16 veteran mackies.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mukaikubo posted:

because 4/6 hurt like fire)

It hurts so much :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AtomikKrab posted:

incorrect, unless it has fire resistant armor they still burn, suit does some protection but they remain flammable... so a flamer will gently caress up an elemental swarming a mech... or it should. heck bathe a mech in fire, elemental can't even dodge unless it stops the swarm.

Infernos are amazing against Elementals. Flamers are not.

• Locked thread