Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just installed Gingerbeast on my Inspire successfully but when I go to flash the suggested kernel in CWM Recovery it says "install aborted". I cleared dalvik cache and did several clean flashes of the rom. I've searched XDA/Google but I didn't find anything helpful.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a good guide for Nexus S 4g users who want to root? I've never messed with Android before so I'm pretty interested.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

TLG James posted:

Is there a good guide for Nexus S 4g users who want to root? I've never messed with Android before so I'm pretty interested.
Well it should be really easy with a Nexus phone, you can check out the forum on XDA for some threads on it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

totally wrong thread

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"Deodexed" means that bytecode for stock apps is unoptimized and compressed in their respective .apk archives. This is opposed to "odexed" which most (all?) stock ROMs are, where stock app code is preoptimized and stored separately in .odex files.

Odex ROMs are harder to apply modifications to as modified framework code breaks any optimized bytecode for apps that are dependent on it. They also consume more /system space as the optimized bytecode is uncompressed. However, they consume less /data space since stock app bytecode doesn't need to be written to the dalvik cache.

It's unrelated to rooting.

Thanks for the explanation. My googling and using the DX Xda forums just confused me more. Anyone finding the xda forums for the DX pretty anemic in information?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thank you everyone that's helped me in this thread! I'm running CM7b8 on my Vibrant and it's a very pleasant experience. Everything works well and I swear a little faster. Oddly, the battery seems to take longer to charge but a charge lasts longer. I must be going out of my head.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm in the process of getting a friends droid x and want to root it, but I know I've heard that the droid x scene is pretty all over the place.

What's the best way to root and "ROM" a droid x?

edit: I know it's a locked bootloader, but isn't there a way to "fake" ROM it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

I'm in the process of getting a friends droid x and want to root it, but I know I've heard that the droid x scene is pretty all over the place.

What's the best way to root and "ROM" a droid x?

edit: I know it's a locked bootloader, but isn't there a way to "fake" ROM it?

It's rootable with z4root, which is easy enough to find, and even easier to use. The best place I've found for "ROMs" is droidforums.net.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So gingerbread was just released for my EVO, but I'm running a ROM.

Whats the best method to try it out, short of waiting for my preferred ROM to cut over to it?

Do I just find a 'stock' ROM, load it, and tell it to update?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I just got a nook color for my birthday but I am terrified to hack it, even though I really, really want to. I'm not sure whether to run CM7 from the sd card or just flashing it (not sure I am getting this terminology right).

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Doghouse posted:

I just got a nook color for my birthday but I am terrified to hack it, even though I really, really want to. I'm not sure whether to run CM7 from the sd card or just flashing it (not sure I am getting this terminology right).

It's pretty easy, and drat near fool-proof. You can use the clockwork recovery image and flash any rom you want on there.You will need a 2/4/8gb microsd card to do it, but it's pretty easy.

The Link

You load the Bootloader on the SD Card, throw the rom you want on the card once it's done imaging it, put it in the Nook and reboot it.

FWIW CM7 is my favorite thus far.

Edit: Wrong link :doh:

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2011

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Doghouse posted:

If you're going to use it to read books, I recommend running CM7 from the SD card and keeping the stock software in the internal memory. I use the nook primarily for reading and found that the stock reading app for the nook is miles better than any other reader app I tried. If you don't really care about reading books on it, there's no reason not to go with Illuminado's suggestion above and just installing CM7 to internal memory.

You can run CM7 from the SD card without doing anything to the stock B&N internal software at all. If the SD card is in the nook while it's booting, it will boot into CM7. If not, the nook will boot into its stock operating system.

Here's a link to getting CM7 on an SD card. Pay particular attention to the part about choosing an SD card since choosing poorly (even a class 10 card) one will cause headaches (like it did for me).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

godzirraRAWR posted:

So gingerbread was just released for my EVO, but I'm running a ROM.

Whats the best method to try it out, short of waiting for my preferred ROM to cut over to it?

Do I just find a 'stock' ROM, load it, and tell it to update?

No. I'm sure by now there's already a rooted version of the new update available on XDA. Download that, back up, and flash it. If somehow that hasn't happened yet, either wait a few hours or grab any of the number of ROMs like Fresh's latest beta based on the leaked 2.3 ROM from a few weeks ago, or install CM7 and see the Gingerbread many of us have had for months now.

Once rooted, never even think about OTAs. Just pretend they don't exist, it's better that way. There are a lot of people pointlessly unrooting just to install this update and I can't figure out why they'd ever want to do that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Open to trying different ROMs on my Evo right now, and I keep hearing good things on the Savaged ROM. Any thoughts? Do i need to install any special kernels for it (I have yet to get into kernels).

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a way to recalibrate the light sensor? On my Evo Shift running CM7 the sensor values seems too low. If I'm in my room with no light on but letting the sun in, the sensor's raw value will be 1 yet theres plenty of light in the room to see. It will read 1 as well when its pitch black and I hardly need any backlight to view the screen.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Charging my phone and then upgrading to Liberty v.06 (a build from the official GB OTA version). Will let everyone know how it goes.

I'm on Liberty 2.0.1 so I think this is all I need to do:

Wipe, DL and install Liberty GB v.01,
Wipe, DL and install Liberty GB v.06.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

lowcrabdiet posted:

If you're going to use it to read books, I recommend running CM7 from the SD card and keeping the stock software in the internal memory. I use the nook primarily for reading and found that the stock reading app for the nook is miles better than any other reader app I tried. If you don't really care about reading books on it, there's no reason not to go with Illuminado's suggestion above and just installing CM7 to internal memory.

You can run CM7 from the SD card without doing anything to the stock B&N internal software at all. If the SD card is in the nook while it's booting, it will boot into CM7. If not, the nook will boot into its stock operating system.

Here's a link to getting CM7 on an SD card. Pay particular attention to the part about choosing an SD card since choosing poorly (even a class 10 card) one will cause headaches (like it did for me).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

It's different than the nook app? Interesting. I have a feeling that I am going to use it for reading a lot of PDFs. Thanks for the input, I'll have to think about it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Drevoak posted:

Is there a way to recalibrate the light sensor? On my Evo Shift running CM7 the sensor values seems too low. If I'm in my room with no light on but letting the sun in, the sensor's raw value will be 1 yet theres plenty of light in the room to see. It will read 1 as well when its pitch black and I hardly need any backlight to view the screen.
There's something you can enable in the CM7 settings that allows you to calibrate the brightness levels based on the sensor levels. Have a dig around there.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Rohaq posted:

There's something you can enable in the CM7 settings that allows you to calibrate the brightness levels based on the sensor levels. Have a dig around there.

That's what I did. Having sunlight in my room compared to being pitch black is exactly the same amount of light according to the sensor unfortunately. I'd like to have very little brightness when there is actually no light in my room and a some brightness when there is.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's rootable with z4root, which is easy enough to find, and even easier to use. The best place I've found for "ROMs" is droidforums.net.

I'm attempting to run it however as it's running it closes to the app drawer. If I try and open z4root again it begins to open then force closes.

z4root works with .596 cause that's what OTA updated after getting the phone.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Just googling, it appears that .596 is still new enough that nothing can root it just yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, but you can SBF to Froyo, root with Z4 root, then flash up to rooted .596.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, but you can SBF to Froyo, root with Z4 root, then flash up to rooted .596.

This is the route I took, and it was fairly painless.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Drevoak posted:

That's what I did. Having sunlight in my room compared to being pitch black is exactly the same amount of light according to the sensor unfortunately. I'd like to have very little brightness when there is actually no light in my room and a some brightness when there is.

Have you checked the kernel yet?
The older kernels had less levels for light detection than the newest.. maybe you kernel is busted all together?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

This is the route I took, and it was fairly painless.

Is there a good guide to do this... I'm feeling very lost on this one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

There were a pair of guides that I used, but I'm not sure if I can get to them while I'm at work, but let me try and find them here.

e. yup, it was blocked.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 4, 2011

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Doghouse posted:

It's different than the nook app? Interesting. I have a feeling that I am going to use it for reading a lot of PDFs. Thanks for the input, I'll have to think about it.

I didn't like the nook app (from the market) at all. But for PDFs, the Adobe app is probably even better than the stock PDF reader (which is different from the stock ebook reader). I actually prefer EZPDF over both of them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Is there a good guide to do this... I'm feeling very lost on this one.

Ok, I'm home now and I can explain it a bit better now. For the SBF process, use either this guide here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106311 or this guide here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106312 . The first one is for windows, the second is linux, I used the linux version and it worked great. The only trouble I had was figuring out how to get into recovery, it seems every other website I found had a different way of doing it. I did on my phone by holding volume down and the camera button when I turned the phone on, and it went right into it.

Once you're back at stock, root with z4root, install your bootstrap (I used the droid2 bootstrap program), and then go to here http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html to get the update.zips you'll need. I used "Patched update.zip (not signed)" that's partway down the page.

e. Man I do love the battery life I've been getting with this update though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Wow thanks a lot for that. I'm definitely going to do that at some point today. Thanks again for that.

Edit: pretty awesome... edit works from the awful app

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 4, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Edit: double post

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally just decided to do the CM GPS fix yesterday and I feel pretty stupid for not doing it earlier. Works like a charm now!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It looks like the CM nightlies are coming out again.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html to get the update.zips you'll need. I used "Patched update.zip (not signed)" that's partway down the page.

Do I need to wipe before flashing to the two part files?

edit: appears to have worked without the wipe. thanks again for the walkthrough.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 4, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Lowen SoDium posted:

It looks like the CM nightlies are coming out again.

the md5 on the G2 nightly was wrong, and the build wouldn't flash.. I grabbed the G2 update from this mirror. Remember to verify your md5's since there has been HDD issues..

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Savage Zen never got past the boot screen, so i am restoring to CM7. Irritating.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Do I need to wipe before flashing to the two part files?

edit: appears to have worked without the wipe. thanks again for the walkthrough.

I didn't wipe either, but glad it worked for you!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I just installed Chad's incredikernal for the HTC Incredible and I am absolutely wowed. The screen's responsiveness is over all better, and I'm at 87% battery with moderate use after 8 hours. Normally, at this amount of use and time, I'd be at 60%. CM7 + incredikernal on the Incredible is unstoppable.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
Broken down and rooted my Droid 1 and installed a different ROM. Had lots of issues with ROM Manager before it finally worked the way it's supposed to but it decided to work eventually.

Tryed Cyanogen at first and didn't like it, so trying Liquid Gingerbread atm. I can't believe how much faster the phone is off the stock OS. Everything about it is so much quicker to respond. My only issue now is that it seems to have LESS battery life with Liquid than I did before. Maybe I just don't have my SetCPU profiles set well yet...will have to do some more playing.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Thrawn200 posted:

Broken down and rooted my Droid 1 and installed a different ROM. Had lots of issues with ROM Manager before it finally worked the way it's supposed to but it decided to work eventually.

Tryed Cyanogen at first and didn't like it, so trying Liquid Gingerbread atm. I can't believe how much faster the phone is off the stock OS. Everything about it is so much quicker to respond. My only issue now is that it seems to have LESS battery life with Liquid than I did before. Maybe I just don't have my SetCPU profiles set well yet...will have to do some more playing.

Sometimes you have to charge to full and reset battery stats to get accurate battery readings after switching roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Thrawn200 posted:

You may ought to try a different kernal or Juice Defender (or a similar program). Also, resetting the battery stats will help, like he said ^^