Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Newf posted:

Can I use a straightening iron to iron my clothes?
It would probably be lovely. Just take a hot shower and hang your clothes up where they'll get steamed, and it'll steam the wrinkles out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If someone dies at home and the coroner comes to take them to the morgue or the funeral home or whatever, do they really cover the body with a sheet, or is that just done on TV?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

stubblyhead posted:

If someone dies at home and the coroner comes to take them to the morgue or the funeral home or whatever, do they really cover the body with a sheet, or is that just done on TV?

I can't answer this, but I can only assume you haven't stumbled upon one of the coolest threads in these forums: Ask me about picking up dead people!

I haven't seen anyone mention sheets though. Maybe it's a cop thing.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Newf posted:

Can I use a straightening iron to iron my clothes?

I could see this maybe working for a tie, maybe, but it would be such a huge pain in the rear end for anything else. The amount of time it would take, even half-assing it would be loving ridiculous and a proper iron is not expensive at all.

If you don't have an ironing board, that's pretty easy to work around, but there's not much you can substitute for an iron. If you have a cast-iron skillet or something, you might could use that. Just make sure the bottom of it is super clean, and it's still going to be pretty time consuming..

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

I can't answer this, but I can only assume you haven't stumbled upon one of the coolest threads in these forums: Ask me about picking up dead people!

I haven't seen anyone mention sheets though. Maybe it's a cop thing.

Ooh, I did read some of that thread, actually, and totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I'll ask there.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

stubblyhead posted:

EMS or Hospice will usually cover the body, but this is not a certainty.
I do it at work (Paramedic) but only for my own sake and no one elses.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Ridonkulous posted:

EMS or Hospice will usually cover the body, but this is not a certainty.
I do it at work (Paramedic) but only for my own sake and no one elses.

If its a public death (street shooting, run over by a car, whatever) I would assume it would occur for the public's well being.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

2508084 posted:

If its a public death (street shooting, run over by a car, whatever) I would assume it would occur for the public's well being.

If it is a public death then all of them time it is done by professionals, you are correct, I thought the question was geared towards a quiet death in a private home.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

moana posted:

It would probably be lovely. Just take a hot shower and hang your clothes up where they'll get steamed, and it'll steam the wrinkles out.

I forgot about the steam tip, thanks!

Eyeball posted:

I could see this maybe working for a tie, maybe, but it would be such a huge pain in the rear end for anything else. The amount of time it would take, even half-assing it would be loving ridiculous and a proper iron is not expensive at all.

Well the thing is that the problem areas are the edges of sleeves and where the buttons/buttonholes are. "Reach" wouldn't be an issue. Think I'm gonna try it out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To all the budding paleontologists out there: I recently read an article on SVPOW stating that there are fewer than 2 or 3 complete Brachiosaur skeletons out there (I think? Maybe a similar species), but then I was watching a program on NOVA about the microraptor and they said they had about 30 fossils for the little guy. Now this is certainly due to the size disparity, but it leaves me wondering: are these numbers both extremes? Is the average number of complete fossils for a typical species around 15 in that case? Or is it much more common for us to have information about 30+ examples?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 4, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
How do I pick good bath towels?

I need new towels and I don't know which ones are better. I have a closet full of old towels that have gone all flat and rough and I'd like new ones that will last longer. All of my old towels felt fine/fluffy when I bought them so I must be missing something.

I am already aware of the benefits of Egyptian cotton and the weight (Google search suggest I want a towel of 550gsm or better). What mostly confuses me is the pile rating. I've seen towels with things like "16s single" or "21s double" written on them. What does that mean? Is it something to do with the length of the loops in the weave?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
When someone is cremated do they do it to the dude with his clothes on or naked? If clothed, suit or tunic or family wishes?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im doing some fanart for someone. Its about that "angry birds" iphone game

They specified that it was important that the colors be accurate. I have no idea how to do this since everyone's monitors are different and everyone sees color differently. Does anyone know the exact colors being used? panatone or whatever would be appreciated so i can tell them to gently caress off if they say the colors are off.

Specifically the pig, the red bird, the yellow bird and the small blue bird.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 4, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ridonkulous posted:

If it is a public death then all of them time it is done by professionals, you are correct, I thought the question was geared towards a quiet death in a private home.

This is exactly it. An ambulance pulled up to a house down the street a week or so ago, no lights or sirens or anything, and the guys went in with a gurney. About 20 minutes later they came out with an old man strapped on that sure looked pretty dead to me. He wasn't moving at all, and one arm was dangling over the side. One of the paramedics tucked it under one of the straps or something before loading the gurney into the back. They arrived and left with no sirens or lights and sure didn't seem to be in much of a hurry. The only thing that made me wonder if the guy had died was that he wasn't covered, which is why I asked.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Fauxtool posted:

They specified that it was important that the colors be accurate. I have no idea how to do this since everyone's monitors are different and everyone sees color differently. Does anyone know the exact colors being used? panatone or whatever would be appreciated so i can tell them to gently caress off if they say the colors are off.

I'm not sure what "panatone" means, but couldn't you just find some screenshots, open them up in Photoshop or GIMP or MS Paint, and use the "color picker" tool to find the rgb values? Or are you looking for a way to turn this into real-world pigments or something?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fauxtool posted:

You should be able to use the RGB values any paint shop program can give you.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm not sure what "panatone" means, but couldn't you just find some screenshots, open them up in Photoshop or GIMP or MS Paint, and use the "color picker" tool to find the rgb values? Or are you looking for a way to turn this into real-world pigments or something?
^^^^
I think thats close enough

sorry i meant pantone, and yes i am painting it IRL

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

^^^^
I think thats close enough

sorry i meant pantone, and yes i am painting it IRL

Some brands of colour paints have an index code that can be matched to rgb values on their websites. But the colours will never be perfect because a): They'll lack the illumination provided by lcd/monitors and b)you're dealing with pigments: You know, the whole additive vs subtractive synthesis that I've completely repressed for some reason. All I know is Additive is RGB (example LCD screens, stage lights) and Subtractive is CYMK (pigments)

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 4, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Gobbeldygook posted:

I believe the ratings you give songs weights it. Wild hunch: Are the songs you hear over and over organized into albums and/or folders while the other songs are singular songs?

I'm too lazy to rate any of my songs so I don't think that's it.
The majority of the songs are organized into albums but there's also single songs that get a LOT of play while certain songs on albums, I will never, ever hear.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has Pandora changed their stance/policy on personal information since the hoopla a little while ago?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Is there a customer service number or email for Amazon? I need to talk to someone about possibly getting a refund but I'm not sure their standard return/refund form really fits my situation (we ordered some ladybugs for our garden and they were all dead when they arrived).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Was that ordered through Amazon or the Marketplace?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Amazon.

Edit: I think? Here's the product: http://www.amazon.com/Orcon-LB-C1500-Live-Ladybugs-Count/dp/B000MR6WRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307228296&sr=8-1

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do you remember who the seller was?
Each of them has a return policy and contact information listed on the purchase page.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MR6WRG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1307228296&sr=8-1&condition=new

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Ships from and sold by Hirt's Gardens.

For questions regarding products, order delivery, or returns, please contact Hirt's Gardens Customer Service:
Contact this seller Phone:855-447-8742

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

FCKGW posted:

Do you remember who the seller was?
Each of them has a return policy and contact information listed on the purchase page.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MR6WRG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1307228296&sr=8-1&condition=new

I think I found a number from clicking through the product listing. I don't know why I didn't find this last night when I was looking, I'm dumb. http://www.amazon.com/Orcon-LB-C1500-Live-Ladybugs-Count/dp/B000MR6WRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307228296&sr=8-1

I'm assuming that's the seller anyway, the receipt I have doesn't say. My dad made the purchase so I'm not sure. I'll call once I get all the information together.

Randomity fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 5, 2011

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
I'm looking for a game I played all the time 2 years ago. I've searched everywhere and can't come up with anything conclusive, but SOMEONE has had to play it.

What I can remember:

It was an indie game and looked like it was made by one person.

It was a top down shooter featuring geometic-ish shapes to represent you and the other ships.

You had a choice of ships in the beginning of various sizes that also slightly effected your abilities.

There were power-ups. I want to say they were squares, but it's been a while. They would change color, and depending on the color it would effect something different by adding another unit to that abilities power bar.

I want to say it was stuff like red increases main weapon damage, yellow increases how many shots are fired at once, blue increases your shield, yellow ups your thrusters and so on.

There were special weapons that would drop, which had a lot of variety. From homing rockets, to bombs that would explode out in geometric ways. You could only have one special weapon at a time and you had it till you died, or picked up another.

I want to say the weapon names were things like "Toxic Lotus" and "Mini Sun".

The enemies started off really sparse, and increased in complexity and number. It had 'waves' based gameplay, and as you progressed eventually you were fighting huge bosses and minibosses. The enemy progression was similar to Warning Forever in that depending how you played, I want to say you got stronger enemies. It always felt that way.

What stood out the most and really brought this game home to me was the music. It generated it's own music as it ran, and was always completely random. It would usually start with some ambient bloops and bleeps, that would usually drive into more complex musical creations that were coded so well that sometimes the music felt like a full track someone had made.

As a final indicator, I was running this on Fedora Core 7, I think. Maybe 8. Either way, it's one of the billion linux freeware games out there, so I know this is a total shot in the dark.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Are you thinking of Everyday Shooter? You don't really get powerups so much, but you do collect squares for extra lives, and the music is generated by what you're currently shooting.

It's available on Steam for $10, but it's frequently part of indie packs.

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

Are you thinking of Everyday Shooter? You don't really get powerups so much, but you do collect squares for extra lives, and the music is generated by what you're currently shooting.

It's available on Steam for $10, but it's frequently part of indie packs.

Similar, but the music was created independently of what you did. Also there was much less color. The background was black and only black. And the powerups were a huge part of the game. You'd have only so long before it disappeared, but you'd still want to wait until it was the right color to match whatever your dumpstat for this playthrough was.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Maybe Geometry Wars?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I think you're thinking of Beat Hazard?

Oh, maybe not. The stuff you're describing is more complex than what's in this game.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Has anyone used an air ioniser? My father suggests that I should get one to help alleviate dust buildup in my room in my new place. Do they do this? Are they any good? If so, does anyone have a recommendation of a good one?

I've never come across them before so I don't know if they're snake oil or not. And my room gets loving dusty.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
They supposedly work by creating a static charge that attracts particulates to the collector plates inside the unit.

At best, the particles don't actually make it to the plate before attracting themselves to the nearest surface, and you end up with dust covering all the surfaces of your room. But hey, it isn't in the air, right? If you vacuum a lot you'll probably keep most of it up.

Oh also, supposedly having so many charged particles in a confined space can cause sore throats and headaches. But that might be bullshit.

If it wasn't so late I'd dig up some science on it, but all my google searches are pulling up BS pages.

In short, no, they don't work. In fact, you'll likely be even more irritated because the dust and bacteria will have fallen and settled onto your bedsheets.

Your best bet for controlling dust is to dust. And vacuum. And lastly, if you have central air, keep that filter changed regularly.

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Maybe Geometry Wars?
Nothing as polished as Geometry wars, but once again in the right direction.

Dudebro posted:

I think you're thinking of Beat Hazard?
I love the hell out of some Beat Hazard, but you're right in it being more complex.

I have a strong feeling it's just some dudes random game he made and released on sourceforge that I picked up at random while outfitting a new Linux Distro.

Still, finding this game means a lot to me, so I hope someone somewhere also played it. It was such an amazing little game.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

This is exactly it. An ambulance pulled up to a house down the street a week or so ago, no lights or sirens or anything, and the guys went in with a gurney. About 20 minutes later they came out with an old man strapped on that sure looked pretty dead to me. He wasn't moving at all, and one arm was dangling over the side. One of the paramedics tucked it under one of the straps or something before loading the gurney into the back. They arrived and left with no sirens or lights and sure didn't seem to be in much of a hurry. The only thing that made me wonder if the guy had died was that he wasn't covered, which is why I asked.

More than likely he was just unconscious. If he was dead he would have been covered and most of the time EMS would not transport a dead person, that is a coroner thing (some places to transport the dead but few).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cantv posted:

I'm looking for a game I played all the time 2 years ago. I've searched everywhere and can't come up with anything conclusive, but SOMEONE has had to play it.

This sounds a lot like Invalid Tangram to me.

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity
Can anyone recommend an acoustic guitar for round about £200/$350? Thanks!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I don't think this is quite right. As I understand it, pretty much only identical twins ever share one amniotic sac, but it is much more usual for them to have separate sacs. I'm going by this Wikipedia page. Having twins that share a sac is a high risk pregnancy.

(monochrionic = sharing the same placenta, monozygotic = identical, coming from the same fertilized egg).

So the situations usually go like this, from least to most rare:
fraternal twins with separate placentas and separate amniotic sacs
identical twins with the same placenta and separate amniotic sac (roughly 75% of identical twins)
identical twins with separate placentas and separate amniotic sacs (roughly 25% of identical twins)
identical twins with the same placenta and the same amniotic sac (1-2% of identical twins)

Cool, thanks to everyone who helped answer that. It had been bugging me.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Anjow posted:

Has anyone used an air ioniser? My father suggests that I should get one to help alleviate dust buildup in my room in my new place. Do they do this? Are they any good? If so, does anyone have a recommendation of a good one?

I've never come across them before so I don't know if they're snake oil or not. And my room gets loving dusty.

I don't know how effective at preventing dust buildup one of these would be, but from personal experience, I'd say that they're pretty good at removing particles from the air. Running one full-time in the office seems to have made a noticeable difference in my seasonal allergies.

Wikipedia reports that there is some controversy over their effectiveness, so I suppose it could have been a placebo thing, but I'd honestly be kind of surprised. As the "Controversy" section points you, you would be much better with a HEPA filter, but those are harder to clean and often more expensive, as they're designed to keep things sanitary.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They supposedly work by creating a static charge that attracts particulates to the collector plates inside the unit.

At best, the particles don't actually make it to the plate before attracting themselves to the nearest surface, and you end up with dust covering all the surfaces of your room. But hey, it isn't in the air, right? If you vacuum a lot you'll probably keep most of it up.

Oh also, supposedly having so many charged particles in a confined space can cause sore throats and headaches. But that might be bullshit.

If it wasn't so late I'd dig up some science on it, but all my google searches are pulling up BS pages.

In short, no, they don't work. In fact, you'll likely be even more irritated because the dust and bacteria will have fallen and settled onto your bedsheets.

Your best bet for controlling dust is to dust. And vacuum. And lastly, if you have central air, keep that filter changed regularly.

You're mixing up how the technology works. The particles already have a static charge on them, and they're getting stuck to one of the plates in the air ionizer. It doesn't somehow make them any more charged. The air ionizer's primary function is not to create ionized air; it creates a tiny bit of ozone as a byproduct, but this is not how it works. (See wikipedia article, section "Ions vs Ozone")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

There's a dehumidifier in my basement to prevent stuff from molding, but I feel like there's a lot of electricity going to waste. Is it possible to replace the dehumidifier with a dessicant of some kind, e.g. Damprid? Or would that result in a moldy basement?