Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

smarion2 posted:

I just picked up a PSP-1000 from the SA mart. What are some of these great games you speak of? I don't know much about PSP games. Not the biggest JRPG fan either... I'll give anything a shot that's highly recommended though.

Any of the Patapon games
Any of the Monster Hunter games
Gods Eater Burst
Half Minute Hero
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
Any of the Badman games
Dissidia Duodecim
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Parasite Eve: 3rd Birthday

These are just some of the PSP games that I personally have thoroughly played and enjoyed that aren't JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
So what's everyone getting?

quote:

For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.

-LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
-ModNation Racers
-Pursuit Force
-Killzone Liberation

I think I'll grab Killzone and Fursuit Porce since I own PS3 versions of the other two. Am I correct in assuming the multiplayer is dead for Modnation?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

smarion2 posted:

I just picked up a PSP-1000 from the SA mart. What are some of these great games you speak of? I don't know much about PSP games. Not the biggest JRPG fan either... I'll give anything a shot that's highly recommended though.
You could try the original post.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

frogg posted:

I think I'll grab Killzone and Fursuit Porce since I own PS3 versions of the other two. Am I correct in assuming the multiplayer is dead for Modnation?

Not to be a jerk about it but I don't know that I want any of those. Not saying that Sony should offer anything else, just that I might pass on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I already have Killzone (Fantastic game. I love it.) and LittleBigPlanet (decent, should spend time attempting to make levels), so I get the other two by default.

I remember Pursuit Force looking awesome when it first came out, but I don't think it was ever properly released here in Canada besides a later PSN version. No idea how it's aged.

ModNations Racers wouldn't have been a choice if I had one, but I'm sure it's fun enough.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So it looks like Sony plans on riding out the PSP until the bitter end. SCE Europe just announced that the PSP prequel to White Knight Chronicles is localizing as "White Knight Chronicles: Origins"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NchTn5ILyVA

Apparently this one is actually supposed to be decent as it was designed with more of a compartmentalized Monster Hunter/Phantasy Star Portable quest system as opposed to... whatever the gently caress WKC1 did.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I don't mind them riding out the PSP, that's totally fine by me, because I might not get the NGP right away.

But lower the prices of the games a little :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

This is really cool -- I wondner how extensive the additional content is in this case. Like I know PSP saves can be transferred to the PS3 game, but if the PS3 version saves can then be transfered BACK to the PSP one it almost makes buying the same game twice worth it. Sort of

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am wondering how the PS3 port of Peace Walker will be and if they are going to change much to accommodate it. Things such as the AI.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I don't think the short levels would fly as well on the PS3, but I'd still like to see it if just for functioning online play.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

blackguy32 posted:

I am wondering how the PS3 port of Peace Walker will be and if they are going to change much to accommodate it. Things such as the AI.

Improving something as fundamental as the AI would constitute making an entirely new game, I wouldn't expect much more than an improved resolution.

Sony have said that they expect to see the PSP last for ten years in total, and since the PSP2 will be backwards compatible with all the downloadable PSP games anyway, I wouldn't expect development on them to stop in the near future.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Does anyone know if there's a way to download adhoc party outside of the PSN Store? A friend of mine just got Peace Walker and wants to do co-op but didn't install adhoc party back when it came out.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crossposting from the PS3 thread, but those of you with a PSP and a JP account might want to hear this.

Policenaut posted:

:siren: The PlayStation Network in Asia will be returning tomorrow :siren:

This includes Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand.

PSN Japan's items for Welcome Back have also been revealed

PSP
  • What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?! 2
  • Hot Shots Tennis
  • Patapon 2
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • LocoRoco Midnight Carnival

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Cool. I really liked Hot Shots Tennis.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

iastudent posted:

PSP
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?! 2
Hot Shots Tennis
Patapon 2
LittleBigPlanet
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival

Badman 2/Patapon 2 are really confusing titles to offer. Both of them have fully-featured multiplayer modes and radically different gameplay changes in their respective sequels that would far more benefit from being given away to a bunch of people.

Maybe they expect you to buy the sequels?

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

iastudent posted:

What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?! 2

This is really really really funny.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is what Hong Kong is getting for PSP games (list found here):

Everybody's Stress Buster (Chinese/English Version, known as Hot Shots Shorties in the US)
LittleBigPlanet™ (Chinese/English Version)
LocoRoco™ -Midnight Carnival- (Chinese/English Version)
Modnation™ Racer PSP® (Chinese/English Version)

edit : The same games Japan is getting, minus the Badman game.
"Minna no Sukkiri" is Shorties/Stress Buster, not Tennis.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 28, 2011

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Has anyone tried redeeming any of these free games yet? I just tried to grab one but after clicking Free Game 1 it locked up, and when I went back it was gone and only Free Game 2 remained. It won't let me download any of them now, so I assume because of this I now only get one free game. :\

Not even touching it again until later or I'm afraid it'll be 0.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Ghastric posted:

Has anyone tried redeeming any of these free games yet? I just tried to grab one but after clicking Free Game 1 it locked up, and when I went back it was gone and only Free Game 2 remained. It won't let me download any of them now, so I assume because of this I now only get one free game. :\

Not even touching it again until later or I'm afraid it'll be 0.

I had this happen too, you can get your free game by going to the network part of the XMB, account management -> transaction management -> services list -> SCEA promotion.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

glod posted:

I had this happen too, you can get your free game by going to the network part of the XMB, account management -> transaction management -> services list -> SCEA promotion.

Oh, sweet. I can't log in now but I'll try that out later. Thanks!

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

frogg posted:

LittleBigPlanet (even though I'm getting it for PS3 too) and ModNation Racers.

Except I can't download either until I get a new memstick. Can't ride on my 1GB one anymore!

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

Is the free Playstation Plus only for PS3 people? The blog said it's under Welcome Back with the other stuff, but I see nothing on the PSP store.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is Pursuit Force any good? I was thinking of getting that along with MNR.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

RandolphCarter posted:

Is Pursuit Force any good? I was thinking of getting that along with MNR.

Is rated 6 on Gamestop's website if that tells you anything.

I've still not gotten online on my PSP yet, can I partake in this? I bought it back in February or so and haven't had a reason to take it online.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

iastudent posted:

Crossposting from the PS3 thread, but those of you with a PSP and a JP account might want to hear this.

They never did an offer like this for NA did they?

Edit: apparently it just went up today, neat.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 4, 2011

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Ghastric posted:

Is the free Playstation Plus only for PS3 people? The blog said it's under Welcome Back with the other stuff, but I see nothing on the PSP store.

I don't think I've ever seen anything really psp related with the playstation+ except I think a few sales earlier this year. Not really worth having if you've only got a psp.

Soul Glo posted:

I've still not gotten online on my PSP yet, can I partake in this? I bought it back in February or so and haven't had a reason to take it online.

If you never created a psn account then i don't believe you can.

SwiftStrikerInc fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2011

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Aww, why did Square base FFIV Complete on the GBA/PSX/whatever version and not the DS one? I can understand the sprites (they look really good!), but the DS version was actually fun to play and challenging.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

If you never created a psn account then i don't believe you can.

Any notion as to whether I can download 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games on my PS3 account and just sync my PSP to my account?

Can you get 2 of each or is it just 2 period?

Today is Question Day apparently.

e: I'm still updating my console to even connect to PSN right now. Almost two hours and at 53%! :toot:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

1. Don't see why not.
2. Every eligible account gets 2 games for each system.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Soul Glo posted:

Any notion as to whether I can download 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games on my PS3 account and just sync my PSP to my account?

Can you get 2 of each or is it just 2 period?

Today is Question Day apparently.

e: I'm still updating my console to even connect to PSN right now. Almost two hours and at 53%! :toot:

You can get two of each. I'm waiting to do this too. Before I got my free PS3 games this morning I had to "purchase" the free PS3 games deal item from the Store, but there's no such provision for PSP games on the PS3's Store. So I think you need either internet access on your PSP or Media Go for PC.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sweet, thanks for the answers, bro's. I'm gonna chill on downloading the games though, it looks like PSN is getting rode hard right now. Still need to change my passwords and that stuff anyhow since I haven't connected since it got hacked-- just changed my passwords on the email I was worried about.

They'll be up for a month anyhow. Probably gonna have to clean out the HDD on my PS3 though. I can't remember how small it is, but it's a fat BC unit from years ago, and I know I've hit the limit on it at least once already just from installing games from discs.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
I've had a PS3 for many years, but only bought my PSP a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of the outage.

I've downloaded LBP for the PS3, but couldn't seem to access/see any of the Welcome Back content on the PSN store from my PSP... is this because I didn't hook my PSP up before the outage? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

I've never used the PSP store before so I could just be a bit retarded...

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Davfff posted:

I've had a PS3 for many years, but only bought my PSP a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of the outage.

I've downloaded LBP for the PS3, but couldn't seem to access/see any of the Welcome Back content on the PSN store from my PSP... is this because I didn't hook my PSP up before the outage? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

I've never used the PSP store before so I could just be a bit retarded...

If you were eligible for the PS3 stuff you get the PSP games also so that can't be the problem. You could try downloading them on your PS3 and transferring it over or using MediaGo which is what I did.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

frogg posted:

If you were eligible for the PS3 stuff you get the PSP games also so that can't be the problem. You could try downloading them on your PS3 and transferring it over or using MediaGo which is what I did.

Thanks for that mate, good idea :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

frogg posted:

This also means you avoid the hassle of updating the firmware, unless you want to.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity
To chime in again, the way I understand it (as others have said previously) is that you just need to have signed up for a PSN account prior to the PSN going down. After that, you should be able to log into the PSN store on the PS3 to get the free PS3 games and log in on the PSP to get the free PSP games. The only time you are ineligible should be if you didn't actually create a PSN account until in came back up last month. That is my understanding at least.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about to buy a PSP! With the NGP coming out soon, should I just download all of my games so I can keep them for backwards compatibility reasons, or just say "gently caress it" and buy them all retail?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing inferior about digital copies is the terribly inflated price of the Memory Sticks. In pretty much every other way they're superior to UMD.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

quakster posted:

The only thing inferior about digital copies is the terribly inflated price of the Memory Sticks. In pretty much every other way they're superior to UMD.

About a year ago I got an 8 gb sandisk ultra II for about $20, so I don't think memory stick prices are much of an issue anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The only reason to buy the UMD version is if the game comes with something, like a konamistyle package or pre-order bonus.

Or if the game never comes to PSN.

• Locked thread