Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So who the gently caress knows what EA is up to, because now Ultima Forever is up and running, and they're giving away Ultima 4 for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hakkesshu posted:

So who the gently caress knows what EA is up to, because now Ultima Forever is up and running, and they're giving away Ultima 4 for free.

So I wasn't the only one getting a weird webhosting page with random Ultimate-related words on it last night?

Felt like I was missing a joke or came late to the party.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Andrigaar posted:

So I wasn't the only one getting a weird webhosting page with random Ultimate-related words on it last night?

Felt like I was missing a joke or came late to the party.

I'm still getting that. :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

senae posted:

So I just took a look at the Dungeon Keeper directory, and it does have Deeper Dungeons, it just uses a different exe (and the menus don't have any text on the title screen).

If you edit the autoexec section of dosboxDK.conf to read Deeper.exe instead of Keeper.exe you can play it.

If you want a persistent shortcut,make a copy of the dosboxDK.conf named dosboxDD.conf with the Deeper.exe line, and make a copy of the Dungeon Keeper shortcut leading to that conf file instead.

I'm assuming it's not easily available because of the lack of text, but the names of the levels load, and the levels themselves load (at least the one I tried), so it seems safe to use.

Maybe someone with privateer check that for another exe too?

For real? Do you know if the level editor is in there too? I might have to buy this up now instead of later then.

And I'm most likely buying Alpha Centauri regardless just to support GOG. I haven't played a blink-and-five-hours-went-by game like it until I bought Civilization IV.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Has anyone played the Privateer Gold / remake thing...? How does it compare? I've downloaded it and got nailed in my first flight, shrugged and went off to do something else. But maybe it is worth getting into, as I unfortunately can't justify paying for Privateer (which I own on disk) if GOG's version doesn't include Righteous Fire... Pretty bummed about that, because I'd nab it otherwise. :(

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 4, 2011

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I wonder if this all means we can expect to see SimCity, SimCopter, SimAnt, et al in the near future.

E: Who owns Rollercoaster Tycoon these days? Atari?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I wonder if this all means we can expect to see SimCity, SimCopter, SimAnt, et al in the near future.

The only Sim game I want is the ultimate Sim game, in my opinion:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Charles Martel posted:

The only Sim game I want is the ultimate Sim game, in my opinion:

I still own that. I think every time I hit the 20th floor or so my rating would start plummeting and everyone would start being unhappy for no discernible reason and I'd start going bankrupt. Fuckin' Sims.

I never did check out Zoot Tower. What was the story behind that, that it was a sequel to the game that SimTower was modeled after?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I still own that. I think every time I hit the 20th floor or so my rating would start plummeting and everyone would start being unhappy for no discernible reason and I'd start going bankrupt. Fuckin' Sims.

I never did check out Zoot Tower. What was the story behind that, that it was a sequel to the game that SimTower was modeled after?

It's Yoot Tower, named after the original creator of Sim Tower, Yoot Saito. I'm not sure what the differences were, but I still have my original Sim Tower and drag it out now and then.

Dungeon Keeper is awesome as hell, and it still looks and sounds as good as the demo I played 14 years ago! But my install had no Deeper.exe :tinfoil: From what I'm reading, though, Deeper wasn't all that great. What I'm really missing here is the ability to zoom out a bit, and maybe have a map editor or a randomized sandbox mode :(

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^
I had it downloaded and installed less then a minute after they released the game, so it might have been added by accident.

But you CAN zoom out (or in) with the home and end keys (much like how delete and page down rotate)

Charles Martel posted:

For real? Do you know if the level editor is in there too? I might have to buy this up now instead of later then.

And I'm most likely buying Alpha Centauri regardless just to support GOG. I haven't played a blink-and-five-hours-went-by game like it until I bought Civilization IV.

Like I said, there's no text in the expansion menus. If the editor is accessed from Deeper.exe, then it is, if not, oh well.

Again, I think it's safe to assume that they're still dealing with compatibility issues considering.

I think I'm going to download the current installer and see if there's a difference.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

senae posted:

^^^^^
I had it downloaded and installed less then a minute after they released the game, so it might have been added by accident.

But you CAN zoom out (or in) with the home and end keys (much like how delete and page down rotate)

Gutted :( the reason I bought it was because I wanted to get the extra. Oh well, another game for the backlog!

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Looking forward to playing some good old Magic Carpet again, still got the original box in the shelf, too lazy to find the cd though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Charles Martel posted:

Three map editors available here, and it looks like they don't even recommend the Bullfrog version:

http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_tools_mapedit.php

Maps available here, too.

e: There is also what looks like a wrapper for DK1 called KeeperFX, which may be an alternative answer to running DK on modern system.

ee: hrm, KeeperFX's description makes it sound like a reverse-engineering of the original executable.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 4, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I never was able to get into Privateer; it seemed like I had to spend lots of time grinding for cash so that I could afford better ships and equipment so that I could survive the missions that would let me advance the plot in the first place, and I didn't find that all that fun. It didn't help that there were so few upgrades to look forward to, either, nor the way the random number generator would capriciously screw me.

Dungeon Keeper I would be all over, but I already have a disc of my own and can play it just fine on windows using KeeperFX.

From the descriptions, though, Magic Carpet sounds like something I should definitely check out - although I think I'll wait and see if Magic Carpet 2 shows up as well first.

doctorfrog posted:

hrm, KeeperFX's description makes it sound like a reverse-engineering of the original executable.

KFX is a mix of reverse engineering and rewriting. Basically, it uses the original executable as a DLL to provide all the parts of the program that haven't been rewritten yet. The author is going through it systematically, reverse engineering each function to find out what it does and then replacing it with an updated or completely rewritten version.

The idea is that eventually, everything will have been rewritten and none of the original DK code will be used; in the meantime, this is a good way to make an engine rewrite without the awkward "nothing actually works" phase.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

It's Yoot Tower, named after the original creator of Sim Tower, Yoot Saito. I'm not sure what the differences were, but I still have my original Sim Tower and drag it out now and then.

Yoot Tower is the sequel, basically Sim Tower 2. Gameplay was very similar, it just had more stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How's Temple of Elemental Evil?

I've heard its great but then again many people have said the same about Arcanum which I've almost beaten and I'm finding it "so-so".

Also some have said that The Last Express is a lot like the Phoenix Wright series, is that true?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've heard its great but then again many people have said the same about Arcanum which I've almost beaten and I'm finding it "so-so".

It's okay. I was really tired of it by the end, though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mr Right posted:

Gutted :( the reason I bought it was because I wanted to get the extra. Oh well, another game for the backlog!

Lame. Oh well.

Also, after taking a quick look at Origin, I doubt EA is going to put American McGee's Alice on GOG after seeing this:

If EA finally releases proper versions of the games in their backlog and the service works kind of like Steam with no extra DRM crap, it would still be better than dealing with what almost amounts to trading your organs one by one and shipping them overnight inside a 14 carat gold ice box to someone on eBay in order to get physical copies of most of those games.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also some have said that The Last Express is a lot like the Phoenix Wright series, is that true?

Temple of Elemental Evil is a crpg interpretation of a very old, classic D&D adventure. It's low level and very, very combat centric. The combat mechanics are very well done, however, so at least it does that well. It really depends on what you want in an RPG. If you want a game with a "good" combat system (3.5e is serviceable at best, in my opinion.) and much lighter, though still present, crpg style quests then it's a good choice. Just be sure to download the Co8 patches. They add a lot of content and fix quite a bit.

Charles Martel posted:

Lame. Oh well.

Also, after taking a quick look at Origin, I doubt EA is going to put American McGee's Alice on GOG after seeing this:

If EA finally releases proper versions of the games in their backlog and the service works kind of like Steam with no extra DRM crap, it would still be better than dealing with what almost amounts to trading your organs one by one and shipping them overnight inside a 14 carat gold ice box to someone on eBay in order to get physical copies of most of those games.

Definitely not. EA is actually packing in Alice 1 for the console versions, too. It's a big-ish extra for people buying the games new.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Charles Martel posted:

Lame. Oh well.

They probably include it in the "second half" they mentioned in the stream, which by that point the sequel has long came out and they no longer feel the need to make it "exclusive" to Origin. I'm thinking of getting Dungeon Keeper, Ultima Underworld, and XIII (I loved this game on the Gamecube), but I tempted to add Last Express, Rayman 1 & 2, and Out of This World to the mix.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
OMG Crusader No Remorse and Alpha Centauri.

drat!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

ToEE is probably the best computer emulation of tactical D&D combat (like tabletop miniatures) there is. If this floats your boat and you enjoy challenging wargame-y combat, I highly recommend ToEE (in which case I also suggest playing ironman mode, since it makes the experience more faithful -- there's no "restore from save to fix a mistake" in D&D.

In terms of story/setting, it's nothing special; it's adapted pretty faithfully from an old (1970s) D&D module, and back then the game was much more about straightforward dungeon crawls + tactical combat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
How often does GoG put out releases? Will I be selling my soul to them for Alpha Centauri in a few days, or sometime next week?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

President Ark posted:

How often does GoG put out releases? Will I be selling my soul to them for Alpha Centauri in a few days, or sometime next week?

Typically they do a game a week (usually Tuesday), but EA seems to be a different beast than usual, since they released 3 at once.

I believe they indicated that they'll release the next 3 as a group like this one late this month, but I could be wrong.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Lame. Oh well.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the original Alice up on GOG anyways. Since Alice isn't actually that playable of a game, the biggest loss they could face is that the GOG release doesn't sell very well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are any of the Age of Wonders games worth blowing a few more dollars on and never playing for more than a couple hours?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

C-Euro posted:

Are any of the Age of Wonders games worth blowing a few more dollars on and never playing for more than a couple hours?

Shadow Magic is the only one you need to buy.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
The release of Alpha Centauri is soooooo timely as my disc finally bit the dust earlier this year after 10 years of reliable service. I'm just hoping they don't pull a Dungeon Keeper and leave out the expansion pack.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just started playing Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 and loving it. Just one question, is there a way to fix mouse jerk-ness? For lack of a better word. I should be happy a game that came out in 1992 even supports a mouse, but trying to equip a torch and clicking the small sweet spot to do so is driving me up the wall.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Red Mundus posted:

Just started playing Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 and loving it. Just one question, is there a way to fix mouse jerk-ness? For lack of a better word. I should be happy a game that came out in 1992 even supports a mouse, but trying to equip a torch and clicking the small sweet spot to do so is driving me up the wall.

If it's running in DOSBox, open the .conf file in the game directory and adjust the mouse sensitivity with the "sensitivity=100" setting.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sankis posted:

Definitely not. EA is actually packing in Alice 1 for the console versions, too. It's a big-ish extra for people buying the games new.

Wow really? I was interested in it before, but playing the original on my console too would seal the deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looking at Origin, I doubt it will restrict anything from getting put on GoG, or even Steam. As far as I can tell, it's just a rebranded EA Store. THQ has their own store, for example, yet all their stuff is also available everywhere. Origin doesn't seem to signal any significant departure from how EA does its digital distribution business, it's just a new name for an older service.

Liongate
May 29, 2009
Holy poo poo!
Played poo poo out of Master of Magic yesterday. Best classic game ever.
Hell still best 4x game ever made

Thank god for this thread

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Liongate posted:

Holy poo poo!
Played poo poo out of Master of Magic yesterday. Best classic game ever.
Hell still best 4x game ever made

Thank god for this thread

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is just $5 right now. If you liked Master of Magic that much, then you owe it to yourself to buy AoW:SM and give it a play. At $5, there's no excuse not to.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

If it's running in DOSBox, open the .conf file in the game directory and adjust the mouse sensitivity with the "sensitivity=100" setting.

Thanks! Had to set it to around 200 to get rid of it completely. And holy poo poo, this game was way ahead of its time. It's well-balanced, has a sane difficulty level and encourages exploration without killing you every 6 steps like a lot of games in the genre. Still can't believe this came out in 1992. :psyduck:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is a killer deal for $5, everyone who likes turn based strategy should definitely check it out at that price.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at Origin, I doubt it will restrict anything from getting put on GoG, or even Steam. As far as I can tell, it's just a rebranded EA Store. THQ has their own store, for example, yet all their stuff is also available everywhere. Origin doesn't seem to signal any significant departure from how EA does its digital distribution business, it's just a new name for an older service.

Pretty much. It's EA's store with a built in browser and social networking a la Steam. I think EA, like probably all the major publishers CDP signed up with, see the service as a means to profit off their old garbage without doing a single bit of work. If they actually sold their old games they would have to actually support them which they don't in most cases. I try not to buy older titles on Steam for this very reason.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

AxeManiac posted:

Wow really? I was interested in it before, but playing the original on my console too would seal the deal.

Yup. Apparently it'll be the only way to get it and, on the 360 at least, I hear the achievements are part of the usual 1000. So it's part of the complete game and not just an add on you get for pre-ordering or something.

Liongate
May 29, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is just $5 right now. If you liked Master of Magic that much, then you owe it to yourself to buy AoW:SM and give it a play. At $5, there's no excuse not to.

I have played shadow magic alot when it came out back in days. I still think MoM is better tough.
Not that I am not going to buy AoW:SM it still awesome enough, so thanks for the info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hakkesshu posted:

I suspect they are relaunching Ultima. It's an open secret that they've been trying for years.

Sadly, I think, at this point it's likely bioware will be handling it. I hope they do a good job, but I am skeptical.