Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually the only reason he didnt die is because instead of just splatting against a flat surface, he fell onto a gradually sloped surface that slowed him down as he traveled down it.

Actually, he got sucked into a vent in the side of the chamber's wall :smug: .The physics of it all should have led to an even more gruesome outcome than a sloped of flat surface but still; THE POWER OF MYTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

qxx posted:

THE POWER OF MYTH

That the whole Original Trilogy is nothing but a retelling of the myth of Luke Skywalker, with thousands of little things added on by subsequent storytellers, is a pretty cool idea.

In the real version, the fall was probably more of a tumble, really.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
What's wrong with Luke's faaaaaace?

If anybody is looking for some easy but informative summer reading there's a fascinating glimpse into life in the dust bowl that you'd probably not otherwise hear about.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Somehow, Anakin's burn scars were hereditary?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Crowetron posted:

Somehow, Anakin's burn scars were hereditary?

You think this is FUNNY?

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Han isn't looking too amazing either, although he isn't a complete spaz at least.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Crowetron posted:

According to Wookiepedia, Troy Denning created the hairless rape bears for the Star Wars Roleplaying game in 89. So thanks, Troy.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that Denning's influence in Star Wars 1) goes back to the 80s and 2) is probably as loving weird as it is thanks to being spawned by the tabletop gaming culture.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Azzmo posted:

What's wrong with Luke's faaaaaace?

If anybody is looking for some easy but informative summer reading there's a fascinating glimpse into life in the dust bowl that you'd probably not otherwise hear about.

Kinda looks like Ellen Degeneres in the second frame. Also, someone make the last frame of his face avatar sized and I will gladly make it my icon.

The Ewok book reminds me of the "Wisconsin Death Trip" book my grandparents have at their lake house in Wisconsin. This needs to be more fully parodied with inserted Ewoks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Azzmo posted:

You think this is FUNNY?

I've been trying to think of a funny reply to this, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I've been trying to think of a funny reply to this, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing

It's a pretty decent depiction of what a stroke looks like:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

What's that from, though? I think I recognize the art style.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Hazo posted:

When was Pete Townshend in Star Wars?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Crowetron posted:

According to Wookiepedia, Troy Denning created the hairless rape bears for the Star Wars Roleplaying game in 89. So thanks, Troy.

Edit: They apparently also appear in one of Allston's Wraith Squadron books. Which is weird, because I don't remember anyone making GBS threads themselves in terror in Solo Command.

It was in Solo Command. If I recall correctly, Zsinj's plan was named Chubar, after a character in one of Face's holovids that was one of those... things. Now that I think about it, I think Face was even the Voice Actor for it.

There were also a few in Zsinj's menagerie o' chemically enhanced aliens. That's right, Zsinj saw one of those things and thought to himself "You know what? Let's pump that sucker full of steroids and see what happens."

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 4, 2011

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crowetron posted:

The best EU moment of all time was when he got stuck in the window of Jaxxon's house

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

What's that from, though? I think I recognize the art style.

IIRC, it's the Dark Horse Infinities version of A New Hope. Luke fucks up and the Death Star blows up the rebel base.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

It was in Solo Command. If I recall correctly, Zsinj's plan was named Chubar, after a character in one of Face's holovids that was one of those... things. Now that I think about it, I think Face was even the Voice Actor for it.

There were also a few in Zsinj's menagerie o' chemically enhanced aliens. That's right, Zsinj saw one of those things and thought to himself "You know what? Let's pump that sucker full of steroids and see what happens."

It's worse than that (Hobbie :allears:). Hey chemically enhanced them to give them genius-level intellect :gonk:.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Geddy Krueger posted:

It's worse than that (Hobbie :allears:). Hey chemically enhanced them to give them genius-level intellect :gonk:.
Only Piggie was a genius. All the other lab animals only got to human-level.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Between reading that and The Island of Dr. Moreau, anthropomorphic animals will always give me nightmares :gonk:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Between reading that and The Island of Dr. Moreau, anthropomorphic animals will always give me nightmares :gonk:

Things I loved as a child ruined by anthrosexualism:

Sonic
Biker mice from mars
Ninja turtles
Street sharks
Were wolves
Star wars

They have taken everything from me.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The best EU moment of all time was when he got stuck in the window of Jaxxon's house

http://www.jameshance.com/wookiee-the-chew.html

I will never cease to be amazed by how easily Star Wars goes from inspiring something stupid, then amazing, then disgusting, then charming.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Geddy Krueger posted:

Remember that Zsnij also had specimens that were not only smarter, but also far more aggressive. So, a roid-raging, super smart rape bear. Zsinj easily takes the cake as the ultimate Star Wars Villain. Not only is the plan sadistic, but it's also frighteningly intelligent.

mend1cant
Jul 16, 2009

Jesse was the best Gud damn gun i ever had.
Regarding the fact clones have a short lifespan, Isnt the quest on Star Wars Galaxies to recieve the clone trooper armor given to you by an ex-clone commando who is now a security guard?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

mend1cant posted:

Regarding the fact clones have a short lifespan, Isnt the quest on Star Wars Galaxies to recieve the clone trooper armor given to you by an ex-clone commando who is now a security guard?

As I vaguely recall, yeah. But SWG didn't give a gently caress about canon at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, it's the Dark Horse Infinities version of A New Hope. Luke fucks up and the Death Star blows up the rebel base.

It is from Infinities but it wasn't Luke's fault that they screwed up. The comic makes it seem like it was just a faulty torpedo.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mend1cant posted:

Kamino clones age double, so they'd only be 60-70 in clone years circa the original trilogy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

omgLerkHat! posted:

Additionally, an ordinary knife has a lot of uses that a lightsaber would not be able to replicate in a million years. A partial list:

1.Can be used to prepare food, including gutting and cleaning an animal in a survival situation
They seemed quite able to handle a tauntaun. Granted you wouldn't want to use one for fine cutting, you could probably separate a large animal into primal cuts pretty readily though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

But remember how wounds are cauterized by lightsabers. Who'd want pre-fried meat?

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

BonHair posted:

But remember how wounds are cauterized by lightsabers. Who'd want pre-fried meat?

Hungry people? That sounds like a huge timesaver.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We have already established that it would be useless for fine cutting, so you'd end up with big lumps of meat which are browned on all sides but raw inside. Which would actually be kinda cool for stews and stuff...

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Why couldn't you use the tip for fine cutting?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Because if the blade of the lightsaber is roughly 2 or 3 inches in diameter it's 2 or 3 inches at the tip. The things look like they slightly taper off but it'd still be like trying to do fine cutting with a superheated tent stake at the end.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
I thought lighsabers had different settings for things like that.

EDIT: I suppose it would still burn and generally mess up everything around it or something.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

To be fair, it's meant for slicing and hacking limbs rather than say, carrots.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Star Wars Culinary Appreciation Station: Set your Lightsaber to the "Filet" setting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A Jedi could probably Force Shape(tm) the blade to any form he wished. That's why they are Jedi weapons, only Jedi can get them to cut and toast bread.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
A Jedi wouldn't use anything to prepare food, except the Force.
He would sit cross-legged in a circle of ingredients, close his eyes so all the space carrots and Tatooine tomatoes and Coruscant cucumbers and regular onions would float up,then he'd grimace real hard and the vegetables would all split into bite-sized pieces, then line up single file and stream into his salad bowl.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Kinda like Anakin and the space pear, right? :v:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Pope Mobile posted:

Kinda like Anakin and the space pear, right? :v:

Was that a thing?

Adbot