Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's literally impossible for a man and a woman to be just friends and reap the benefits though. See that's why gay marriage is so scary, because since every man only has male friends (many single!) they could reap the benefits with ease!

(Alternatively: Everyone is actually heterosexual they just might not know it without the help of Jesus Christ)

But the point of the email is that by allowing gays to get married, we are encouraging them to have sex. Because we know that no one has sex outside of marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LoveMeDead posted:

But the point of the email is that by allowing gays to get married, we are encouraging them to have sex. Because we know that no one has sex outside of marriage.

Even better is the statement I've heard that gay men can't really have sex with each other, since sex can only occur between a man and a woman.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Do your eyes automatically roll whenever you see bullshit like that, or have you reached the point where you just don't care anymore?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Armyman25 posted:

Even better is the statement I've heard that gay men can't really have sex with each other, since sex can only occur between a man and a woman.

Several years back in good ol' high school, my friend did a research paper arguing for the legalization of gay marriage and when he told somebody his topic the guy's eyes got wide and he asked "But what about the normal sex argument?"

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

So, it would be what, anal cuddling?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tars Tarkas posted:

ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION UNDER GOD

EIN VOLK, EIN REICH, EIN FUHRER

They don't even bother to come up with their own thought terminating cliches.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

My stepdad's exact words when I told him I'm a lesbian: Okay, that's cool. But I have a question. How can sex feel good without a penis?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cowslips Warren posted:

My stepdad's exact words when I told him I'm a lesbian: Okay, that's cool. But I have a question. How can sex feel good without a penis?

Apparently he has never gone down on your mom and I find that so very sad.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
I'm having trouble with the images, but they are just lines of white crosses on a beach.

[quote] I am inspired......................

Santa Barbara
The first picture and the last picture are taken at the beach in Santa Barbara right next to the pier.
There is a veterans group that started putting a cross and candle for every death in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The amazing thing is that they only do it on the weekends. They put up this graveyard and
take it down every weekend. Guys sleep in the sand next to it and keep watch over it at night so
nobody messes with it.

Every cross has the name, rank and D.O.B. and D.O.D. on it.

Very moving, very powerful??? so many young volunteers. So many 30 to 40 year olds as well.

Amazing !

Did you know that the ACLU has filed a suit to have all military cross-shaped headstones removed?,

and that they filed another suit to end prayer from the military completely. They're making great progress.

The Navy Chaplains can no longer mention Jesus' name in prayer thanks to the ACLU and our new administration.

Keep forwarding this e-mail to others. I'm not breaking this one. I'm asking that you not break it either.

If I get it a 1000 times, I'll forward it a 1000 times!
Please, let us pray...
Please send this on after a short prayer. Prayer for our soldiers... please don't break it!

Prayer:

'Heavenly Father, hold our troops in Your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in this our time of need.
These things I humbly ask in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, Amen.'

GOD BLESS YOU FOR PASSING IT ON! I usually do not forward messages requesting they be passed on - this is one I will. The ACLU is to powerful AND (in my opinion) represents a minority of the population. [quote]

I'm pretty sure the ACLU is not trying to block prayer from the military completely, but can anyone find sources to debunk the other crap?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LoveMeDead posted:

The ACLU . . . (in my opinion) represents a minority of the population.

yes because the founding fathers weren't at all concerned with a majority taking power away from a minority :bang:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Republican Party represents a minority of the population as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LoveMeDead posted:

I'm pretty sure the ACLU is not trying to block prayer from the military completely, but can anyone find sources to debunk the other crap?
Why do we always have to disprove poo poo that never happened. Disproving something that never, ever happened is difficult because people forgot to document something that never happened. They should have to cite their sources.
They won't because they're the type of moron who forwards these types of emails, but still.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

LoveMeDead posted:

IIRC a navy chaplain wanted to use singular invocations of Jesus at official ceremonies where you're only supposed to use references to a greater power essentially (the term God is used frequently, but which god is generally not mentioned). You can still talk about your specific faith at those specific services that you host, just not to a general audience.

FAT DICK RAY
Aug 21, 2010

So they'd recorded a result from one of the times it worked. It was that recorded result that was displayed at the end of each demo.

Orange Devil posted:

The Republican Party represents a minority of the population as well.

I think this stems from the need to be the "silent majority." Even if all polls and sources show that a group does not, in fact, represent the views of the majority, the members of that group believe that there must be (I don't even know what word to use) invisible people who agree with them. They have to comprise most people, or else their views have no merit. It's not enough to disagree with someone's views. They need EVERYONE to disagree with that person's views.

edit: Also, the "Moral Majority" of the late 1970's and 1980's comes to mind. Since I believe that abortion is wrong, EVERYONE believes abortion is wrong.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

LoveMeDead posted:

Santa Barbara
The first picture and the last picture are taken at the beach in Santa Barbara right next to the pier.
There is a veterans group that started putting a cross and candle for every death in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The amazing thing is that they only do it on the weekends. They put up this graveyard and
take it down every weekend. Guys sleep in the sand next to it and keep watch over it at night so
nobody messes with it.

Every cross has the name, rank and D.O.B. and D.O.D. on it.

Very moving, very powerful??? so many young volunteers. So many 30 to 40 year olds as well.

Amazing !

This one is hilarious: praising a real, weekly, 8-years-running antiwar protest in a (my) liberal Southern California beach town and making a sudden U-turn into falsehood-filled them drat liberals :arghfist: territory.

Here's a fairly decent rebuttal.

To add my own comments: The only lawsuits I've ever heard of the ACLU bringing vis-a-vis military headstones were to give more soldiers the right to have their own religion represented on their headstone. Which is especially applicable here, given that Santa Barbara's Arlington West isn't just crosses either, but includes Jewish Star of David markers and Muslim crescent markers where a soldier's religious preference is known.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Choadmaster posted:

This one is hilarious: praising a real, weekly, 8-years-running antiwar protest in a (my) liberal Southern California beach town and making a sudden U-turn into falsehood-filled them drat liberals :arghfist: territory.

Here's a fairly decent rebuttal.

To add my own comments: The only lawsuits I've ever heard of the ACLU bringing vis-a-vis military headstones were to give more soldiers the right to have their own religion represented on their headstone. Which is especially applicable here, given that Santa Barbara's Arlington West isn't just crosses either, but includes Jewish Star of David markers and Muslim crescent markers where a soldier's religious preference is known.

Are they still even doing Arlington West? I haven't been down by Stearns Wharf in like a year even though I live downtown, so.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got a phone call today from Dick Morris blabbing on and on - somehow they got the idea I am a tea-party patriot and because I had nothing better to do, I listened. Finally a real person comes on and continues telling me about how Obama is wrecking the country, etc. Finally she tells me they are taking a poll and she wants to know which person I most think represents the true ideas that will make America great again or should be running for president or something like that. I pause and think, and then say "David Duke"

She pauses for the briefest of moments, and then says "You know, I have heard a lot of people say that today." Then she goes into another spiel and asks me if I will support the true american cause and get an autographed copy of Dick Morris's book? How do I do that? "Well, you can make a contribution of $100 or $250 or more"

"Uh, well, I could probably donate $1000, I suppose. (pause) But you see, you can't, well I mean, I'm not sure when I will get the money, I have this thing that is happening in a week or two, and then I will definitely be able to help. (pause) So can I mail you the check and then you promise not to cash it until like 2 1/2 weeks?(pause)Can you do that?"

She pauses, says "Um, I, uh, let me, just wait a minute, I need to talk to someone about this.."

I say OK - wait about 10 seconds and then chicken out and hang up.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JD Brickmeister posted:

I got a phone call today from Dick Morris blabbing on and on - somehow they got the idea I am a tea-party patriot and because I had nothing better to do, I listened. Finally a real person comes on and continues telling me about how Obama is wrecking the country, etc. Finally she tells me they are taking a poll and she wants to know which person I most think represents the true ideas that will make America great again or should be running for president or something like that. I pause and think, and then say "David Duke"

She pauses for the briefest of moments, and then says "You know, I have heard a lot of people say that today." Then she goes into another spiel and asks me if I will support the true american cause and get an autographed copy of Dick Morris's book? How do I do that? "Well, you can make a contribution of $100 or $250 or more"

"Uh, well, I could probably donate $1000, I suppose. (pause) But you see, you can't, well I mean, I'm not sure when I will get the money, I have this thing that is happening in a week or two, and then I will definitely be able to help. (pause) So can I mail you the check and then you promise not to cash it until like 2 1/2 weeks?(pause)Can you do that?"

She pauses, says "Um, I, uh, let me, just wait a minute, I need to talk to someone about this.."

I say OK - wait about 10 seconds and then chicken out and hang up.

Good job taking up plenty of time. Keeps that person from calling someone else I guess.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

Are they still even doing Arlington West? I haven't been down by Stearns Wharf in like a year even though I live downtown, so.

Hell, I haven't either, at least on a Sunday. Wikipedia says they shrunk it a bit and made it Afghanistan-specific back in August.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

JD Brickmeister posted:

I would have said Bernie Sanders; partly to see what her reaction would be, but mostly because it's true.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

I would have said Bernie Sanders; partly to see what her reaction would be,

"Who?"

Alternatively:

"I believe Colonel Sanders passed away some years ago, sir."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Had a friend say "this administration loves its money." Anyone know what he could be referring to because I sure as gently caress don't.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Had a friend say "this administration loves its money." Anyone know what he could be referring to because I sure as gently caress don't.

Probably something about "democrats raise taxes!" and not anything actually fact-based.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

"Who?"

Alternatively:

"I believe Colonel Sanders passed away some years ago, sir."

"I say you he dead."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

He's saying this administration is comprised solely of Jews.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Now De-friended Facebook friend posted:

Dear President Obama,

I am writing today with a somewhat unusual request. First and foremost, I will be asking that you return America to its August 20th, 1959 borders, so that Hawaii is no longer a state and you are no longer a citizen.

Your Friend,

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

1. Why would Israel's PM care about the citizenship of the American president?
2. Even if this did happen, Obama would still be a citizen.

:ughh:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sweet burns have their own internal logic.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Slaan posted:

1. Why would Israel's PM care about the citizenship of the American president?
2. Even if this did happen, Obama would still be a citizen.

:ughh:

How about, "hey Israel, you're an extremely wealthy country, pay for your own defense."?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I like the cut of your jib! So pay for it yourself :colbert:

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got into an arguement with someone on facebook.

Does this count?

Him: All religions are equal. Not one is right or wrong.

Me: That is a contradiction

Him: How? There is no right religion, no wrong religion.

Me: All religions are making claims of some sort, these claims could be true or false. Either the earth is 6000 years old or it isn't. Either there is a god or a multitude of gods, or there isn't.

Him: Yes, this is truth. What isn't truth is making your truth MORE true than someone else's truth. Understand? That's factual fascism. Either your truth is equal to their truth, less than equal, or more than equal. Connect? Equal is the answer.

Someone Else: or all of them are wrong.

Me: But they couldn't be equally true if they are contradictory. How could a believer in Christianity also say that say, greek paganism, atheism, and Hinduism are equally true, when they contradict each other and his own. You have a very strange definition of truth. At best you can say they all have equal evidence.

Him (over like 20 separate posts): Truth is truth is truth is truth, Fire. Who is any human to say what is truly MORE true than something else? I believe the invading conquistadors felt their Christian beliefs were MORE true. There is a sincere difference between "I believe this is true, for myself, and only myself, " *AND* "I believe this is true, and so should you." At the end of the day, I am equal to, not better than in any fashion, the war-loving fascist and the corporate CEO. Equal to the Catholics, Baptists, Jews and Muslims. We are always attempting to dominate the other, instead of listening. Always attempting to demonstrate superiority instead of understanding. Our analytical, scientific mind has gotten in the way of our spiritual connectedness. Modern science, for all it's "truth," is nowhere the ancients didn't already go.

Me: I am sure the invading conquistadors did. As did those they invaded. And as do you in saying this now. If you believe that something is true, then you believe that there is a correspondence with what you believe and an objective fact. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe it in the first place. There is no such thing as believing something is true only for oneself. Though that doesn't mean you have to use violence to make someone else believe it too.

Him: I obviously do not use violence. I am on my page, stating my opinion, on my page. I am not on your page, telling you what to think. See?

Me: You said "Modern science, for all it's "truth," is nowhere the ancients didn't already go." Really, What was plato's opinion about electrical circuits, facebook, dark matter, and radio waves

Him: Yes, Richard, the ancients built the Pyramids at the perfect geographic center of all land mass on the Earth, alligned perfectly to Orion's Belt using slaves and ropes. Come on. I am no fool Fire. How did Mayans know the center of the Milky Way Galaxy existed? How did they so perfectly calculate such invisible objects? The same way Plato wrote his dialogues about Atlantis through interviews with Egyptian priests. Do your research. And if Love is The Answer, Which It Is, Then The Only True Love is Love Through Unity, In Which Case We Ar All Everything.

I pretty much just gave up at this point.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fire posted:

Atlantis through interviews with Egyptian priests. Do your research.

He's joking, right? He is aware Atlantis is a purely philosophical construct that doesn't actually exist, right? That all of its history is contradictory and no one who spoke of it likely believed it was real and it was used to illustrate anti-Athenian virtues, right?

gently caress me how does this happen. Why does this happen.

Like, gently caress, if I remember correctly Atlantis history contradicts actual Greek history so hard Athens exists thousands of years before it was actually founded, solely to stop Atlantis. Does he think Athenians are also time travelers?

Also that "i am equal, not better than in any fashion, the war-loving fascist" is either some "more equal" bullshit or he's got the depth of a puddle in Texas.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TGLT posted:

He's joking, right? He is aware Atlantis is a purely philosophical construct that doesn't actually exist, right? That all of its history is contradictory and no one who spoke of it likely believed it was real and it was used to illustrate anti-Athenian virtues, right?

gently caress me how does this happen. Why does this happen.

Like, gently caress, if I remember correctly Atlantis history contradicts actual Greek history so hard Athens exists thousands of years before it was actually founded, solely to stop Atlantis. Does he think Athenians are also time travelers?

Also that "i am equal, not better than in any fashion, the war-loving fascist" is either some "more equal" bullshit or he's got the depth of a puddle in Texas.

I knew this guy from my college activist days and he was the guy we wanted as far from the press and cameras as possible. He was Kyoon level nuts and he dressed like the people in the cruster thread in GBS.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

Does he think Athenians are also time travelers?

Can you explain Ecco the Dolphin otherwise, hmmm?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Fire posted:

:words:

To be fair to the guy, the idea of my religion being Right and yours being Wrong is pretty uniquely an Abrahamic thing (and even then, evidence points towards the Jews being monolatrist for quite a while). Not that he was at all on track with the rest of what he said, but welp

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Amarkov posted:

To be fair to the guy, the idea of my religion being Right and yours being Wrong is pretty uniquely an Abrahamic thing (and even then, evidence points towards the Jews being monolatrist for quite a while). Not that he was at all on track with the rest of what he said, but welp

Also, since they're all ultimately false, they are all equally true!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Fire posted:

Religious stuff

I kinda get what he is saying in that some of us believe that everyone has to find their own way to god (or gods) or that people may find elements from each religion that help them. That the stories in the bible are meant to be guiding stories not to be taken fully at face value.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda get what he is saying in that some of us believe that everyone has to find their own way to god (or gods) or that people may find elements from each religion that help them. That the stories in the bible are meant to be guiding stories not to be taken fully at face value.

Yeah but he really doesn't phrase it very well and he's trying to talk about philosophy without any rigor like a hallmark card.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't tell if these people are left or right leaning (the Glass Steagall sign confuses me), but you have to love the Hitler Obama poster:

They sit outside my local post office every Saturday.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
They're Larouche wackos. Stay far, far away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Megiddo posted:

They're Larouche wackos. Stay far, far away from them.

If the American originals are anything like the Citizen's Electoral Council, their scion here in Australia, do not have a camera or camera phone out in front of them. I'm an amatuer photographer and I asked them if I could photograph their stand (specifically said just the stand) at Uni one time. The guy (slightly tubby redhead with an obvious tyroid problem) FLIPPED HIS LID, started ranting at me about 'doing something man!'. I informed him I voted, wrote letters to my MP and the paper, and contributed to local council debates. I may have said something about posting on the internet as I walked away.