Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ZeroAX posted:

I'm confused, wont they have to use sprint's spectrum if they're using Sprint's network?
I'm not sure about the specifics of this particular situation, but it's probably best to think of Sprint's "network" as being comprised of three different tiers: (i) backhaul, (ii) towers/tower access, and (iii) spectrum.

So it's conceivable that they'd piggy-back on Sprint's backhaul and tower access, but run their own radio gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I thought backhaul was the sore spot in the network? I have only occasionally lost voice access in my area, but data is always poo poo. Tossing an additional frequency on the towers but jamming them into the same overcapacity data lines seems like a dumb idea if the goal is providing a service that is not terrible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Tossing an additional frequency on the towers but jamming them into the same overcapacity data lines seems like a dumb idea if the goal is providing a service that is not terrible.
Unless there's backhaul upgrades to the precise towers where radio rollouts take place. Which might be easier to fund this way.

But yes, it would be a bit silly to light up even more equipment on their towers without fixing the existing bandwidth issues, whatever those might be.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I hopped on the Nexus train last night, and I think I'm seeing the radio problems that others have mentioned. I was outside, in the middle of suburban Kansas City, and I had only one bar of service in multiple locations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Hey do you guys know if it's possible for one account to get two free airraves? I'm in Selbyville, DE for the summer or more and before I was getting about 1-2 bars. Now I'm encountering about zero signal at home. Works fine in OC, MD though!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Gotta say, for those not riding the Android train right now, Windows 7 is a pretty awesome OS. I played around with it for an hour or so, setting it up for my mother, and was floored by how well it was working. Everything felt very integrated and connected, which is unusual with the Android, where you load up and do stuff application by application.

Bonus is that it's made by HTC so it's a very well put together and snazzy looking phone.

But, i'm not getting one for myself and am waiting for the Evo 3d. Just wanted to comment that it might be worthwhile for someone to look at if they are not really into Android or want a change of scenery.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Gingerbread is now rolling out for the EVO 4G. You can manually prompt for the download now and it should send out notifications on Monday.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/03/happy-evo-4g-owners-get-gingerbread-update-right-on-schedule/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nothing on my girlfriend's stock Evo yet, even when I manually try

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Gingerbread is now rolling out for the EVO 4G. You can manually prompt for the download now and it should send out notifications on Monday.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/03/happy-evo-4g-owners-get-gingerbread-update-right-on-schedule/

People are saying it breaks Netflix.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
AnandTech has some hands on impressions with the Evo3D, as well as some basic benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4416/hands-on-and-benchmarks-of-two-msm8x60-phones-htc-sensation-4g-and-htc-evo-3d/1

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

traveling midget posted:

Nothing on my girlfriend's stock Evo yet, even when I manually try

Same here, I'm unable to update my Evo. Maybe it is only available to certain areas?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jeratain posted:

AnandTech has some hands on impressions with the Evo3D, as well as some basic benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4416/hands-on-and-benchmarks-of-two-msm8x60-phones-htc-sensation-4g-and-htc-evo-3d/1

Looks really great. One thing I haven't noticed in any reviews, can you hold down the camera button for some length of time to wake the phone and launch the camera app in one step? I know about the lock screen launcher stuff, which is probably 95% as quick but to be able to pull it out of my pocket and be launching the camera app while I bring it up to view would be really sweet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jeratain posted:

quote:

The EVO 3D has a very large 6.57 Whr battery, one of the largest (if not the largest) I've seen in a smartphone to date.

:stare: That's a loving big battery.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

sirbeefalot posted:

Looks really great. One thing I haven't noticed in any reviews, can you hold down the camera button for some length of time to wake the phone and launch the camera app in one step? I know about the lock screen launcher stuff, which is probably 95% as quick but to be able to pull it out of my pocket and be launching the camera app while I bring it up to view would be really sweet.
That feature is specific to Windows Phone 7 (though I doubt there's anything from stopping a developer from creating this for Android).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Entire Universe posted:

Of course it is, they're trying to fix the problems the 4g had aren't they?

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Might this also be rolling out to the EVO Shift at some point soon as well?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

Of course it is, they're trying to fix the problems the 4g had aren't they?

If you read the Sensation review on Engadget, they were getting 24 hours+ with a smaller battery than the 3D has with basically the same phone. This bodes well.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

If you read the Sensation review on Engadget, they were getting 24 hours+ with a smaller battery than the 3D has with basically the same phone. This bodes well.

This is tempting enough to dump my Epic and buy one of these out of pocket.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

rock2much posted:

This is tempting enough to dump my Epic and buy one of these out of pocket.

Call Sprint. Talk to them about it. They might work with you on the costs a little bit, depending on how important of a customer you are to them. How long have you been on Sprint and how long until your upgrade?

While Sprint doesn't want to give away the phone for free, the more they sell the better it looks overall and the happier they make a customer they longer that customer will stick around.

Sprint is really one of the nicest companies i've ever done business with.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I ported my number from Verizon to Google Voice today, and set up my Sprint phone as a forwarding phone! Yay! Or so I thought. Big issue, though. Now I don't receive any texts in my original text messaging app (handcent). Is this what they meant when they said it may take 3 days for texts to start forwarding? Or is receiving it through the google voice app the only way to get texts? I'd ideally like to route texts through Handcent, but if I can't, I guess I'll survive.

The big reason I'm liking GV is because I can turn off 3G at work now, and use our nice wifi network. Sprint coverage is very spotty there, and that has been killing my battery (between push email for work and texts coming in throughout the day).

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 4, 2011

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

900ftjesus posted:

You're right, but I'd worry the CDMA and WiMax radios would more than compensate for the extra battery size.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MrMoose posted:

So, I ported my number from Verizon to Google Voice today, and set up my Sprint phone as a forwarding phone! Yay! Or so I thought. Big issue, though. Now I don't receive any texts in my original text messaging app (handcent). Is this what they meant when they said it may take 3 days for texts to start forwarding? Or is receiving it through the google voice app the only way to get texts? I'd ideally like to route texts through Handcent, but if I can't, I guess I'll survive.
In the web version of Google Voice, check the device options and there should be a text related setting in there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

900ftjesus posted:

Well, this puts my choice into "unless something is catastrophically wrong" territory. I'm not sure what kind of juice if any the parallax barrier 3D uses (I probably would have the 3D turned off a lot/most of the time anyway) but 24hrs on the Sensation really does bode well for the Evo 3D. They are nearly identical hardware-wise, I believe the only thing separating the two is the 3D functionality (and exterior design of course) so I am looking forward to ditching this piece of poo poo Epic.

echollin
Apr 14, 2007

averox posted:

Hey do you guys know if it's possible for one account to get two free airraves? I'm in Selbyville, DE for the summer or more and before I was getting about 1-2 bars. Now I'm encountering about zero signal at home. Works fine in OC, MD though!

Yes, it is possible. Each airave uses a line on your account though; so as an example, if you are approved for five lines and already have four lines and an airave you can't get another one.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

Had the phone on for over a day in that review and still had 50% left. Now this is with all that preloaded junk they put on the phone too. Though it's kinda hard to tell what that means for the 3D since these phones are somewhat different(battery, RAM, different radios). All this tells us is the dual core phones are powerful and don't tax the battery to death, which is really good to hear if you are coming from some of the older snapdragon single cores that can burn batteries in a few hours.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 4, 2011

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Is it a physically larger battery? Or did they manage to cram more power into the same size battery as their other phones?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is it a physically larger battery? Or did they manage to cram more power into the same size battery as their other phones?

Nope, it's bigger.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

jaku78 posted:

Had the phone on for over a day in that review and still had 50% left. Now this is with all that preloaded junk they put on the phone too. Though it's kinda hard to tell what that means for the 3D since these phones are somewhat different(battery, RAM, different radios). All this tells us is the dual core phones are powerful and don't tax the battery to death, which is really good to hear if you are coming from some of the older snapdragon single cores that can burn batteries in a few hours.

More RAM should actually use less power. This why auto task killers are bad, Android loads things into RAM as you use them, loading from flash takes more power than keeping something in RAM. So it processes loaded in RAM but completely idle as long as it can until that memory is needed for something else. The ability to keep more stuff in RAM with the full 1GB vs the ~768 MB the sensation has should actually be better. This is how Microsoft failed us all, they made us believe that free RAM is good, free RAM is wasted RAM.

Cozmosis posted:

You're right, but I'd worry the CDMA and WiMax radios would more than compensate for the extra battery size.

CDMA shouldn't be an issue, if you look at a Sprint Blackberry on 3G, they can run for days. I'm not sure if that's some sort of "fact" about CDMA just generically using more power, but it's really a non-issue. 4G will always use more power, but at least you can limit that pretty easily or just turn it off all together.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Man, if that news about the battery is true, it might just be worth it to get an EVO 3D just because of that.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

A Bad Poster posted:

Man, if that news about the battery is true, it might just be worth it to get an EVO 3D just because of that.

Yeah, I'll definitely be watching for a couple days after release to see if it's really true or not. If they can manage to squeeze that kind of life out of it I'll most likely finally upgrade from my EVO 4G. The other additions are just icing on the cake.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well in my case I already have five phones and an airrave on my account. Six devices total on one account.

echollin posted:

Yes, it is possible. Each airave uses a line on your account though; so as an example, if you are approved for five lines and already have four lines and an airave you can't get another one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I went to best buy to preorder an evo 3d. The dude there said there wasn't any news in the employee net about it and I took his word for it.

I went back and looked at cameras with my girlfriend. I got to thinking "I am drat sure I saw a best buy memo regarding evo 3d preorders about a month ago."

Showed the clerk his own memo leaked to android central. He said it made his day. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Well in my case I already have five phones and an airrave on my account. Six devices total on one account.

You can have up to 10 lines on one consumer account with good credit. Only 5 upon starting up, but it can balloon till 10 based off of whatever measurements Sprint does. I have a customer who seriously has about 12-15 kids, and he has 10 lines under his name and 5-8 under his wife's.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So at an area marked with "good" coverage with my nexus S. I had 0 bars, (could still make calls) but no 3g at all, even with data roaming. My friend with verizon had 3 bars.

I bought it online. Can i return it to a sprint store to swap with another one to see if that is the issue? I'm still within my 30 days.

I'd like to try to do that and then return it if I get another crap reception one if possible and maybe go back to my Pre until the 3d comes out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

So at an area marked with "good" coverage with my nexus S. I had 0 bars, (could still make calls) but no 3g at all, even with data roaming. My friend with verizon had 3 bars.

I bought it online. Can i return it to a sprint store to swap with another one to see if that is the issue? I'm still within my 30 days.

I'd like to try to do that and then return it if I get another crap reception one if possible and maybe go back to my Pre until the 3d comes out.

Call first, but I THINK you can exchange it at a corporate location. Otherwise they will need to ship it to you first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When I swapped my online bought Nexus S for one in a corporate location due to an LCD defect, they were fine with it and didn't say anything about having bought it online.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

You can have up to 10 lines on one consumer account with good credit. Only 5 upon starting up, but it can balloon till 10 based off of whatever measurements Sprint does. I have a customer who seriously has about 12-15 kids, and he has 10 lines under his name and 5-8 under his wife's.

Any idea of what the timing might be for this? My boss was interested in up to 6 lines total, his and his wife's mine and my girlfriend's, and two more in the not-too-distant future for his kids. I was under the impression that the 5 line limit was pretty set in stone, so he'll be pleased to know that's not necessarily the case.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

When I swapped my online bought Nexus S for one in a corporate location due to an LCD defect, they were fine with it and didn't say anything about having bought it online.

Thanks. I might have to return the phone anyways if the reception issue is this widespread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Would it be terribly prudent to just upgrade to an Evo and then return it when the Evo 3D comes out?

I am so sick and loving tired of pulling the battery out of my phone when I want to use it, or simply deciding as often as possible against using my phone (if I Odin back to stock). This Epic is truly a piece of trash I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry about doing 20 questions guys but does anyone know the number to get your upgrade credit back and the rules around it? I had an upgrade credit until premier gold/silver happened and now I'm feeling the Evo 3D itch.