Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

tarepanda posted:

A lot of dojo use hakama instead of black belts to show who's a teacher and who isn't. There's nothing goony about them; they're a part of the aikido uniform. I might be misreading your comment though.

He looked goony for other reasons than just the hakama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If it's a smaller tournament that'll happen a lot. Though the tournament direction should have okay'd it with you before he combined the weight classes.

Besides, fighting the big guys is fun. I'm up to 250 at the moment because I'm a lazy fatass who doesn't train as much as I'd like, but when I was 215 or so I won just as many or more tournaments at +100kg than I did at -100kg.

Oh no, there was a 100kg division. They just messed it up. I ended up doing pretty well though, and it was fun fighting guys who were 70 lbs heavier than I am

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I recently went to the private grand-opening of a new gym (muay thai and bjj) with a new instructor. It was very nice, we had about 20 or so people from the old gym and most of the old guard blue belts showed up too which was nice. It was mainly a meet and greet event.

The children the parents brought with them, holy cow were they terrors. I don't know how we're going to keep them in line after kids classes (if they wait for their parents to finish the adults class.)

I think I've mentioned the background situation before. TLDR the old instructor who I've known for 2 years just got more and more crazy mentally and he did a pretty terrible job in managing the gym. Which ultimately resulted in that gym shutting down with no notice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Comrade_Robot posted:

Check how you're gripping; I used to have more developed calluses when I first started out, because I was gripping people really really hard all the time. How are you gripping?

Really, really hard. Spider guard.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Really, really hard. Spider guard.

Tape it. Do something else for a while.

Alternate: Always try to get a pistol(joystick) grip to control the sleeve until you heal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

awkward_turtle posted:

Tape it. Do something else for a while.

Alternate: Always try to get a pistol(joystick) grip to control the sleeve until you heal.

Illegal in Judo because it's easy to break fingers doing that. But really if you're getting your fingers torn up just tape them up and let them heal. It is a temporary problem. Just like matburn on your feet your body adjusts pretty quick.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Alright goons I have a question. Is ninjitsu really that bad? I know very little about martial arts, but I have taken a few ninjitsu classes in my area.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
That will depend almost entirely on what you want to get out of it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Illegal in Judo because it's easy to break fingers doing that. But really if you're getting your fingers torn up just tape them up and let them heal. It is a temporary problem. Just like matburn on your feet your body adjusts pretty quick.

I've always wondered about this, because you're allowed to pistol grip in BJJ competitions. I was told that pistol gripping is not allowed in judo because of the immense control that you get by doing so.

You shouldn't reach inside the Gi sleeve to get a grip - that's where the busted fingers comes from, I thought.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

lambskin posted:

Alright goons I have a question. Is ninjitsu really that bad? I know very little about martial arts, but I have taken a few ninjitsu classes in my area.

I mean you no offence so I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but this is as straight as I can tell it. The biggest problem is that there's very little record of ninjas. We only vaguely know that they existed, and only because japanese warlords used to accuse each other of deploying dishonorable assassins before an honorable battle, to insult each other.

Ninjitsu's a Japanese Jiujitsu offshoot, about sixty or seventy years old, that claims to be a secret ancient style of death from a thousand years ago. Their teaching style is one that refuses to spar properly or test anything they learn under pressure. This'd all be fine and nobody would be bothered, but members of the Bujinkan schools in particular are really vocal on the internet about how amazing and undefeatable their style is, and how the rest of us lowly plebes simply cannot comprehend it. They could never show you what makes their style so powerful though, because it's "too deadly" to demonstrate. They would never spar with you, because you'd be dead so fast it wouldn't be fair, etc.

They focus a lot on some kind of philosophical development or something, I don't know, so if you're into that, all power to you. If it's a good workout and you enjoy that, all power to you. But it's a pretty safe bet that what you're learning isn't very effective in terms of actually learning to fight in physical combat, and six months in a boxing gym will make you more dangerous than six years in the average ninjitsu school.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean you no offence so I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but this is as straight as I can tell it. The biggest problem is that there's very little record of ninjas. We only vaguely know that they existed, and only because japanese warlords used to accuse each other of deploying dishonorable assassins before an honorable battle, to insult each other.

Ninjitsu's a Japanese Jiujitsu offshoot, about sixty or seventy years old, that claims to be a secret ancient style of death from a thousand years ago. Their teaching style is one that refuses to spar properly or test anything they learn under pressure. This'd all be fine and nobody would be bothered, but members of the Bujinkan schools in particular are really vocal on the internet about how amazing and undefeatable their style is, and how the rest of us lowly plebes simply cannot comprehend it. They could never show you what makes their style so powerful though, because it's "too deadly" to demonstrate. They would never spar with you, because you'd be dead so fast it wouldn't be fair, etc.

They focus a lot on some kind of philosophical development or something, I don't know, so if you're into that, all power to you. If it's a good workout and you enjoy that, all power to you. But it's a pretty safe bet that what you're learning isn't very effective in terms of actually learning to fight in physical combat, and six months in a boxing gym will make you more dangerous than six years in the average ninjitsu school.

Oh that makes sense. I don't think we really sparred at all, but then again what is sparring usually classified as? Also I don't think our instructor ever actually mentioned ninjas, I think he just talked about Japanese foot soldiers or something like that.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
A Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Judo session ends with 30-60 minutes of students partnering up and fighting each other with moderate (50-80%) resistance and effort. Judo calls it randori, BJJ guys generally call it rolling or sparring.

The lesson itself usually consists of a warm-up followed by students attempting an instructor demonstrated technique on each other with almost no resistance at a slow pace to ensure they're getting the technique right, then some exercises where they might start in a certain position and Student A will attempt to escape or reverse the situation while Student B will attempt to apply the technique they've just drilled. Again, light to moderate resistance.

The point is that the techniques aren't being learned inside a vacuum. They're being learned and practiced against people who are aware of what they are and how they work and how to deal with them. It also means you're getting practice in applying these techniques in a situation which is closer to a real fight, be it a competition fight or some sort of altercation.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 5, 2011

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
There are big effort posts about it all over, but sparring is very very important. When you learn to play soccer you do lots of drills, but you also need to play games every once in a while, even if it's just quick 5 a sides. The sparring's what takes all the moves and drills and puts them together, and teaches you to put them together against a resisting opponent.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My problem with ninjitsu was that partly the arrogance from the instructor and the people I trained with in regards to the efficiency of the martial art and the ridicule of anyone who did martial arts with a focus on sports rather than the ART, and in part the fact that it mostly consisted of rolling and breakfalls interspersed with wristlocks and terrible, terrible striking. You'd have slow, horrible kicks meant to BREAK THROUGH THE CHEST ARMOR OF A SAMURAI.

To top it all off, it wasn't even good exercise, something even my fat fourteen year old self realised.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah, my instructor kinda made fun of more sporty martial arts. Now that you say it, I think we did spar for maybe 10 minutes after learning a technique.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

I've always wondered about this, because you're allowed to pistol grip in BJJ competitions. I was told that pistol gripping is not allowed in judo because of the immense control that you get by doing so.

You shouldn't reach inside the Gi sleeve to get a grip - that's where the busted fingers comes from, I thought.

You're right about the control. The rules about not being able to grab around or in the opening of the sleeve are both for safety reasons and because it is a very defensive grip.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I feel bad about interrupting Gi-chat because it's goddamn hilarious, but I have a stupid question to ask.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about a month and a half and my swing kick is crap. I think it's mostly because it hurts so loving bad when I hit the bag so I subconsciously flinch at the last minute.
I went through the very same thing. Sounds like you just need to toughen up your shins. My instructor recommended one thing that worked quite well, for me. Get to the heavy bag, and kick the bottom of it lightly (the bottom "corner" of the heavy bag, if that makes any sense). Almost as if you're tapping it with your shin repeatedly. Then once your more comfortable, kick them a bit harder. I did 20 reps at time, and in a few weeks my swing kicks improved significantly. Your shins will turn red as a cherry and burn, but trust me- it does wonders for conditioning your shins!

imtheism posted:

That being said, if you're going to tournaments and beating other blue belts consistently, you're a blue belt. It doesn't matter if you're well rounded or not - if you're beating most blues - even with the exact same blueprint - you're a blue.
The only thing a belt is good for is to hold your pants up. I wouldn't look into the whole "coloured belt merit" debate too deeply, man.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 5, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

melon cat posted:

The only thing a belt is good for is to hold your pants up. I wouldn't look into the whole "coloured belt merit" debate too deeply, man.

They're not even good for that, though. Most gi pants have strings in them these days!

The problem is competition levels. For my sake I can't compete at white belt level anymore because I've trained for too long, and I can't compete as a blue belt because I don't have one. I'm not going to award myself a blue belt because a) you wouldn't get away with it here, and b) it's lame.
It's a practical problem, not an ego one.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king
i reed gud

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

melon cat posted:

I went through the very same thing. Sounds like you just need to toughen up your shins. My instructor recommended one thing that worked quite well, for me. Get to the heavy bag, and kick the bottom of it lightly (the bottom "corner" of the heavy bag, if that makes any sense). Almost as if you're tapping it with your shin repeatedly. Then once your more comfortable, kick them a bit harder. I did 20 reps at time, and in a few weeks my swing kicks improved significantly. Your shins will turn red as a cherry and burn, but trust me- it does wonders for conditioning your shins!

Same here, 50 times, each side, 2 weeks, never had shin weakness problems again (until you kick a knee).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=392328415
Our favorite Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) talking about how he got started in BJJ.

Man, I miss it.

lambskin posted:

Yeah, my instructor kinda made fun of more sporty martial arts. Now that you say it, I think we did spar for maybe 10 minutes after learning a technique.

The main issue with TMA's is that there is no direct method of competition in order to facilitate understanding who's school/student is better. A lot of the time, TMA's are not against this and sparring ends up being, light kicks and "I'm throwing a knife hand but won't land it cause that would kill you", "That's fine, I counter with tiger claw which rips off half you face." type stuff. There's also a lot of room for the practitioners to say that they don't compete due to the lethality of strikes, mocking UFC fighters for leaving all their vital points open.

Ninjitsu it self is very open to exploitation due to the mystic and attraction of a Ninja based martial art. Unfortunately, as has been said. There is no direct lineage for Ninjitsu, to ensure you are taught the original techniques, and from a self defense perspective, what the hell is the point of a martial art which is entirely based on stealth and ambush based attacks. It's fun to roll around, play with swords and throw knives, but for practicality of combat, wearing a face mask is not high on the list.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 6, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Adolfo Castro posted:

Same here, 50 times, each side, 2 weeks, never had shin weakness problems again (until you kick a knee).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=392328415
Our favorite Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) talking about how he got started in BJJ.

Man, I miss it.

Adolfo, your link seems broken for me do you have another?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 6, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Here's some Savate assaut pictures for you guys from our club. I'm the fat guy missing with the the jump kick, the one with the punch is me dodging a turn kick, with a sidestep I'm now proud of now that I can see it, and countering with a right cross since he was kinda there - lost the fight anyway, the other dude there - he has simply better technique all around.

Edit: I just got a call that one our instructors is sick and can't make it, so I volunteered to instruct a stand-up practice for some MMA guys tomorrow, any hints on that regard, Adolfo or someone? I can throw a boxing session for people no problem, but I'm thinking if I should incorporate something to serve the MMA aspect of things into it.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 6, 2011

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
For me, the 'classic' MMA sequence is:
Teach 'em a jab-straight combo
Then teach them to duck it and shoot a double
Then teach them to sprawl it and guillotine
Then teach them to trap an arm from the bottom and sit-out into n/s

This is usually how I start my beginners, and it seems like it gives them context and a base of good habits when we start getting into the advanced stuff.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 6, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

For me, the 'classic' MMA sequence is:
Teach 'em a jab-straight combo
Then teach them to duck it and shoot a double
Then teach them to sprawl it and guillotine
Then teach them to trap an arm from the bottom and sit-out into n/s

This is usually how I start my beginners, and it seems like it gives them context and a base of good habits when we start getting into the advanced stuff.
That sounds awesome. I wish I could have that beginners program taught to me. How long would you spend on each?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Not long. I wrote this down at some point but it varies.

5m stretch
10m movement drill warmups (bear crawl, jog, squat-hop, roll, shrimp)
5m jab+straight demo
10m jab+straight drills (5m static, 5m circling)
5m level change+double leg demo
10m level change+double leg drills (slow->fast)
5m sprawl+guillotine demo
10m sprawl+guillotine drills (5m arm in, 5m arm out)
5m turtle+sitout demo
10m turtle+sitout drills (light->hard)
10m light sparring
5m cooldown
1h freetime

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Senor P. posted:

Adolfo, your link seems broken for me do you have another?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSt5OQ4zHc

Ed O'Neill - My very first class.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

Edit: I just got a call that one our instructors is sick and can't make it, so I volunteered to instruct a stand-up practice for some MMA guys tomorrow, any hints on that regard, Adolfo or someone? I can throw a boxing session for people no problem, but I'm thinking if I should incorporate something to serve the MMA aspect of things into it.

Do you know how to do clinchwork, knees, or kick catching? It seems pointless to go too far out of your comfort zone technique-wise.

If it were me, I would spend a whole class refining their jab and forcing them to judge distance carefully.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Do you know how to do clinchwork, knees, or kick catching? It seems pointless to go too far out of your comfort zone technique-wise.

If it were me, I would spend a whole class refining their jab and forcing them to judge distance carefully.

This guy is right.

Fighters (MMA) rarely know what they really need. They (we) think we need the special dim mak to win. Little has changed in superstition, but not in reality. What wins is the basic poo poo.

In the past year I have not learned a new Jiujitsu 'move' but I learned so goddamn much about the ones I already knew, I've risen ten powerlevels.

Work on their basic boxing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah that's what I sort of thought to begin with, poo poo, I'll keep it simple, you guys are spot on right. MMA (or MT at this point) are really not my best areas, but basic boxing is quite doable and they'll need it anyway.

After the warm-up and stretching I'll give the guys a couple of rounds of light sparring - boxing to be exact - to gauge where we are and then use some of the drills I already have written down from previous classes according to their level and try and refine their basic punches with some evasions. Say, guy #1 throws two jabs and a heavy right, guy #2 slips and counters with hook to the body and an uppercut -type of thing.

I don't know the group personally, but know at least a couple have been doing MT before so they'll have decent hooks and elbows, but a few are pretty much newbies in everything. Umm, better be mixing pairs regularly and have them do those basic combinations, distancing & free sparring to finish it out before the cooldown.

edit: I also hear from the guys at the office our MMA guys, both basic and advanced course, have some issues with boxing - namely that they get into throwing wild haymakers the second you let them do it, I guess that's something I could work on ;) We're really not an MMA club to begin with though, it's just there on the side because there was so much interest in it as far as I understand, and the original mix-fight striking instructor moved away or something

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 7, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone here know a good place (like exrx for weight lifting) with technique descriptions and video for Kickboxing/jui-jitsu?

I want to work more clinch and throws into my kickboxing game but my school doesn't teach it and I have a hard time finding information online...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

Does anyone here know a good place (like exrx for weight lifting) with technique descriptions and video for Kickboxing/jui-jitsu?

I want to work more clinch and throws into my kickboxing game but my school doesn't teach it and I have a hard time finding information online...

If you're looking for clinch and throw stuff, check out https://www.judoinfo.com

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

If you're looking for clinch and throw stuff, check out https://www.judoinfo.com

Yeah, a lot like this. I'm trying to emphasize more from a kickboxing perspective, but this is definitely what I need. Thanks!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I decided to have fun and had the brave MMA beginners practice the fine art of sparring and to end the class some superman punches. Also standing still holding your chin up while your partner throws a constant flow of strikes at your head - as fast as possible but with 0% power. That's so that when they start sparring they don't get scared about getting smacked, and can concentrate on their techniques! (It might sound crazy, I don't know, but you can tell when people have enough respect not to hurt their partner and telling people to do this is always a good laugh for the whole class, if nothing else).

At least they seemed to have fun too :v:

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Ligur posted:

I decided to have fun and had the brave MMA beginners practice the fine art of sparring and to end the class some superman punches. Also standing still holding your chin up while your partner throws a constant flow of strikes at your head - as fast as possible but with 0% power. That's so that when they start sparring they don't get scared about getting smacked, and can concentrate on their techniques! (It might sound crazy, I don't know, but you can tell when people have enough respect not to hurt their partner and telling people to do this is always a good laugh for the whole class, if nothing else).

At least they seemed to have fun too :v:

Best method for this. One person stands with back against the wall, other person starts throwing, nice and slow, making sure everything is blocked and the blocker isn't looking away and keeping the hands on their head. Gradually increase speed, sometimes feeding the person quick uppercuts so they are still practicing countering.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Adolfo Castro posted:

Best method for this. One person stands with back against the wall, other person starts throwing, nice and slow, making sure everything is blocked and the blocker isn't looking away and keeping the hands on their head. Gradually increase speed, sometimes feeding the person quick uppercuts so they are still practicing countering.

Is the person against the wall, like, actively blocking and moving his hands and head, or just basically standing still with his hands up?

Also we do, and I very much like to have people do sparring where they are not allowed to move backwards, not an inch. When I see too many people doing the "on train tracks" thing where the other guy first lunges and tries to kick or wildly punch his partner, who takes 10 feet of steps back only to charge back 10 feet himself, trying to avenge the missed punch by a wild single strike, while the OTHER guy now quickly retreats 10 feet it's fun to call a time-out.

When people can't move back (and know their sparring partner can easily take revenge on anything idiotic they do) they suddenly start throwing much more considerate and better thought out strikes... oh, and evade by side stepping and head movement, which both are good things for everything that has to do with french gay sailor fighting since it shouldn't be about power strikes and eating hits but instead fun ballet with drunk elves with funny boots or some poo poo.

Of course we also hang on the ropes of a boxing ring corner while someone beats you up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So another reason why I think Gracie Barra is a McDojo even though they teach good BJJ.

I am in LA for work right now so stopped by my old club for a workout. I called ahead and they were happy to have me come by. They were having a no gi night so I showed up in shorts and a rash guard. But they wouldn't let me on the mat with a rash guard with a small "Mizuno" symbol or shorts that had a small "Underarmour" mark. I had to put an unmarked t-shirt on over my rash guard and borrow a pair of official Gracie Barra gi pants.

Apparently you are only allowed to wear "Gracie Barra" fight shorts or gi pants and either a "Gracie Barra" rash guard or one with no markings at all to no gi nights.

I know all the guys and they went out of their way to find me a pair of clean gi pants that fit and somebody lent me a plain white t-shirt. But the fact that it was an issue that they held in such importance was really strange.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Ligur posted:

Is the person against the wall, like, actively blocking and moving his hands and head, or just basically standing still with his hands up?

Passively blocking. So http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qguQfn0QtBs although this is more amusing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd6GUwowMEc&feature=related

Just a quick update on my injury.

Went to a specialist physio, he confirmed loss of muscle and power on the right side, gave me a couple of neck exercises, follow up appointment with doctor and him, but also banned me from any form of exercise for the rehab.

I'll probably do a small journal thing for the recovery.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

Thoguh posted:

I know all the guys and they went out of their way to find me a pair of clean gi pants that fit and somebody lent me a plain white t-shirt. But the fact that it was an issue that they held in such importance was really strange.

Sounds like HappyKimono.com is called for.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do those chain gyms like Gracie Barra work? Do the crazy rules like that come down from some higher-up? All the gyms around here are affiliated loosely with whoever taught them, but they don't receive orders from on high or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How do those chain gyms like Gracie Barra work? Do the crazy rules like that come down from some higher-up? All the gyms around here are affiliated loosely with whoever taught them, but they don't receive orders from on high or anything.

Top down.

http://graciebarra.com/min-requirements

• Locked thread