Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Carbonate posted:

Put a drywall screw in my rear tire at speed.

Didn't go down, and luckily enough the local bike place has both a tire and a tube in stock! It's still a gigantic pain in the rear end, mind you.

Ha, I did that a few months ago. Was like "wtf why is the bike so strange when I corner"

Bricks were shat when I realised there was a bloody nail in the rear tyre. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bought some toys today:
This exhaust -

And this cover to match my black powdercoated cam cover -

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Put my new steering bearings in and reassembled the stem. While I was lining it all up I went ahead and put on the bars and gaiters just to have a look.

Also, finished painting my rear wheel. Just need to hit it with a few coats of clear yet.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I replaced the exhaust bolts with some stainless steel ones and washers for good measure. Also cleaned up the carbon and grime from the crush ring gasket and the engine. Afterward, I applied a bead of copper silicone gasket goo on the crush ring before reinstalling everything.

Now to let it cure for a day before firing up the engine again to check for further leaks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReidRansom posted:

Put my new steering bearings in and reassembled the stem. While I was lining it all up I went ahead and put on the bars and gaiters just to have a look.

Also, finished painting my rear wheel. Just need to hit it with a few coats of clear yet.

Ha that thing is already loving awesome.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ReidRansom posted:

You gonna wear a ronald mcdonald outfit when you ride the thing?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Maybe I will now :colbert:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No way, gotta be a Captain America suit.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, gently caress yes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I just noticed the terrible cafe bars on the bike as well. Whatever you're planning on doing please just stop now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

I just noticed the terrible cafe bars on the bike as well. Whatever you're planning on doing please just stop now.

It's based off your posting :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

n8r posted:

Also not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to buy near mint vintage bikes that need a little bit of TLC.. :respek:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know, it has a sort of 40's steamworks/gas pipeline feel to it, with the red and blue. Keep going, man. Don't listen to the haters.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh, there's no stopping now. I even had a seat made for it.

This thing will be a 600 lb garishly colored cafe bike yet.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I can totally respect the amount of work it takes to make a custom looking bike. It looks like RR is spending a lot of time/money to make this bike unique. I just don't think some weirdly colored gold wing done as a cafe bike makes any sense whatsoever. I don't really think doing a cafe bike is really any more original or unique than doing a chopper. Turning a goldwing into a chopper would actually make more sense than turning one into a cafe bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

I can totally respect the amount of work it takes to make a custom looking bike. It looks like RR is spending a lot of time/money to make this bike unique. I just don't think some weirdly colored gold wing done as a cafe bike makes any sense whatsoever. I don't really think doing a cafe bike is really any more original or unique than doing a chopper. Turning a goldwing into a chopper would actually make more sense than turning one into a cafe bike.

Then DIY or STFU.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gonna go out on a limb here and say:

Team Ola.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ola posted:

Then DIY or STFU.

Let's not act like if this was getting turned into a chopper he wouldn't be getting poo poo. Remember when DILLIGAF had that silly Harley project? He got tons of poo poo for the stuff he did.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Raven457 posted:

Replaced fork seals on a friends DL650 V-Strom. The new ones lasted long enough to go around the block once, and then both of them started spewing oil as I pulled into the garage. They looked like they were seated correctly, and the retaining ring snapped into place without any trouble at all. There is no damage to the forks, no scrapes or nicks to cut the seals.

I tried the thin plastic/35mm film trick to see if I could get them to stop, one side seems to have stopped, but the other looks like it's still leaking. The new seals weren't OEM, which is the only thing I can think of that I did wrong. Oh well, at least everything will come apart faster when I pull it apart again.

I ordered some honda OEM seal after going through two different brands of aftermarket seals. They would just start weaping oil right off the bat and then fail all the way. I really hope the honda seals do the trick this time around.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

Let's not act like if this was getting turned into a chopper he wouldn't be getting poo poo. Remember when DILLIGAF had that silly Harley project? He got tons of poo poo for the stuff he did.

Not from me. Although doing a bit of soulsearching I have found a nugget of hypocrisy and would probably sneer at a long rake chopper. I'm no big fan of cafés but I am a big fan of custom bike initiative and rad colors.

Also thanks for your continued support Z3n!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

n8r posted:

Oh, it's definitely a weird bike choice for the direction I'm going, I had originally thought more along the lines of a rat/bobber for this one and was gonna find an old CB to do as a cafe bike, but I couldn't find one in suitably poor condition, and in the end it's about having a bit of fun turning an old wreck into something sorta unique.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, it's definitely a weird bike choice for the direction I'm going, I had originally thought more along the lines of a rat/bobber for this one and was gonna find an old CB to do as a cafe bike, but I couldn't find one in suitably poor condition, and in the end it's about having a bit of fun turning an old wreck into something sorta unique.

Exactly. The devil may care attitude reminds me of reminds me of VTNewb's Harley. Speaking of which, what the hell happened to that build anyways?

And the stripped down Goldwing setup is pretty much awesome, double so for crazy color schemes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Your next project should be a raked cafe, hard tailed with clubmans and screamin' eagle pipes. That would make all parties equally happy/mad.

That said, I like your current idea and the wacky colors!

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

This thing is crying for an STP logo & maybe the #43.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

VTNewb's Harley. Speaking of which, what the hell happened to that build anyways?

I started racing :awesome:

Actually the thing has some nice rubber on it and high pipes on now. It's kind of brutal in that it just spins up it's rear tire right off of idle very easily.

I have a huge pile of parts I just need to spend some time in the machine shop.

In my pile:

SST brake lines
Much larger front callipers
Flat track tail
Milled cam cover (half the weight!)
XRoads Rear Sets

Essentially I need to make up my mind about suspension before I do brakes. To make my mind up about suspension I need to figure out how to adapt a chain drive with a wider rear wheel. I got most of the above stuff for free so I'm also still tossing the vintage racer idea and putting 18" spokers on it with chain drive.

Incidentally stock harley parts are hilariously heavy. The XL1200S bar clamp weighs 3 lbs. It's amazing the weight savings you get when you go aftermarket. I need to weigh the bike because I bet now that the SCREAMIN EAGLE exhaust is gone, the footpegs and iron mounts are gone, the apes are gone, etc etc etc it's like 80 lbs lighter.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Does getting pooped on by a bird at speed count as doing something? I can hose off the scooter and throw my pants in the washing machine, but trying to get oven-baked air-dried bird poo poo out of a mesh jacket is no fun at all.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

evilnissan posted:

I ordered some honda OEM seal after going through two different brands of aftermarket seals. They would just start weaping oil right off the bat and then fail all the way. I really hope the honda seals do the trick this time around.

That sucks... but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this type of problem. I grabbed some OEM Suzuki seals yesterday (at twice the frigging price of the other set, ouch), I'll probably tear it all down again next weekend when I'm not on call.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Replaced the OEM exhaust and ECU on my 06 F4i with an 01 exhaust and ECU (no cat mod). Had to construct a bracket due to the passenger footpeg position changing on the 04-06 models. Bike runs great, engine braking is less harsh now and it feels good WOT.

Here's a pic of the bracket my friend made for it.

xd fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Put a different colored fender on today... Tail is yellow, front fender is yellow, main body is black for now. I have 2 sets of fairings that I'm going to paint whenever I finish repairs on the more damaged set. Swapped my front turn signals to some LED ones with stalks. My "flush" mount ones didn't pass inspection even though they stick out a good inch at least, stupid shop. Also stuck some stupid reflectors on for inspection.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 5, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I've gotten down to a full valve adjust in under an hour! :hellyeah:

on a one cylinder engine

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, a GL cafe racer is just a terrible idea. I mean, look at this monstrosity for example. Can you imagine having to live with the nonstop ridicule?

I say finish your bike the way you want and call it Stop Making Sense. Then ride around wearing a motorcycle jacket that's about 10 sizes too big.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Marv Hushman posted:

Yeah, a GL cafe racer is just a terrible idea. I mean, look at this monstrosity for example. Can you imagine having to live with the nonstop ridicule?

I say finish your bike the way you want and call it Stop Making Sense. Then ride around wearing a motorcycle jacket that's about 10 sizes too big.

I would do terrible things to that bike while whispering sweet nothings in it's ear.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That one there has a supercharger on it as well. Randakk knows his poo poo when it comes to old GLs.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Bondematt posted:

I would do terrible things to that bike while whispering sweet nothings in it's ear.

I'd probably find a really progressive priest or drunken JP and get the vows out of the way immediately. That has to be one interesting ride, and I don't mean that in the novelty/boutique bike sense.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ReidRansom posted:

That one there has a supercharger on it as well. Randakk knows his poo poo when it comes to old GLs.

I think I might have bought DOHC parts from him a while back...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Changed the brake pads, fluid and hoses on the Bandit today. Or to put it more correctly, BoJ did most of the work, I watched and learned the tricks and procedures.

The pads averaged less than 1mm left all around, so they obviously had to be changed, complete no-brainer. Brand new sintered EBC pads all around. I'm pretty sure that parts of the brakes had never been apart since the bike was built in 1996, the retaining pins on the rear caliper took a lot of persuasion to remove, but we made sure to apply liberal amounts of copper grease to prevent things from seizing up again.

The brake fluid was nasty as gently caress and probably very old, most likely as old as the bike, it pretty much looked like black coffee :suicide: so put in a fresh can of DOT5.1 and did a proper bleeding.

But not before the brand-spanking new braided stainless brake hoses were installed. They provided plenty of amusement from BoJ, his opinion was that the stock hoses were perfectly good and that they were a waste of money since there would be no difference whatsoever between them. At least they look nice :)

I also promised not to tell anyone how he manhandled the pistons back into the calipers with a chisel :ssh:

EDIT: After changing the pads etc., the rear brake seems to be dragging, the rear disc gets hot enough that I can't touch it, even if I haven't used the rear brake. I figure a good bedding-in should make it behave again.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 5, 2011

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

n8r posted:

Ok, you don't like it, we get it. Get over yourself.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Washed the bike and buffed out tons of gravel scratches with 2000 grit sandpaper and polishing compound. Some of the deeper ones need paint, so I'm ordering some red and black touchup paint.

Tried to find out why my right turn signals won't engage, but to no avail without starting to strip the bike down.

BoJ
Jun 5, 2011

by angerbeet

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm pretty sure that parts of the brakes had never been apart since the bike was built in 1996, the retaining pins on the rear caliper took a lot of persuasion to remove, but we made sure to apply liberal amounts of copper grease to prevent things from seizing up again.

Actually the fluid was harder to brake lose than the rear caliper pad-retaining pins.

Can I keep this? I might need it if my ex ever ask me to do a brake job on her car.

I think there's spider down there. Do you want your spider back? I'm pretty sure it died of natural causes around 2005.

KozmoNaut posted:

But not before the brand-spanking new braided stainless brake hoses were installed. They provided plenty of amusement from BoJ, his opinion was that the stock hoses were perfectly good and that they were a waste of money since there would be no difference whatsoever between them. At least they look nice :)

I didn't ridicule your fine emo-hoses. I might have mentioned that they needed a few LED-strips to maximize street-credit though.

KozmoNaut posted:

I also promised not to tell anyone how he manhandled the pistons back into the calipers with a chisel :ssh:

Lies. As I told you, I pushed them back using magic and pure thoughts. A prayer also helped to get them moving.

KozmoNaut posted:

EDIT: After changing the pads etc., the rear brake seems to be dragging, the rear disc gets hot enough that I can't touch it, even if I haven't used the rear brake. I figure a good bedding-in should make it behave again.

Just step on it hard a few times, you pussy.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BoJ, soon to be PERMA-permabanned posted:

Sell it on Ebay.

"L@@K!!! GENUINE VINTAGE DOT4 BRAKE FLUID, AGED TO PERFECTION! PERFECT FOR CLASSIC CAR OR BIKE!"

quote:

Just step on it hard a few times, you pussy.

I just did for 45km. Hard on the rear brake and tried to maintain speed with liberal application of throttle, on and off to let things cool down a bit. Seems to be better now, although there is the occassional creak or *PANG* from the rear brake right now as it's cooling down.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 5, 2011