Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Robo Pope posted:

But then that would start a whole runaway slave arc. That could be pretty interesting though.
That arc has already begun :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nothing to see here....

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 9, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, I think we're trying to keep this thread as disconnected from fantasy as possible.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak posted:

I dunno, I think we're trying to keep this thread as disconnected from fantasy as possible.

Are we? Ok then. I haven't had a chance to read any of the manga in the OP while at work so I didn't know how close to historical fact they stuck to. Still thanks for the sticky, look forward to reading some of these.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They tend to be all very strict dramas set in historical settings without veneer of fantasy or science fiction.

Definitely check them out though! Otoyomegatari + Vinland Saga are my favorite out of the bunch, but they're all fantastic.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I love Vineland Saga, but it just kills me waiting on the monthly update schedule. Marathoning through a series that's been out for a while or is already over is so much more enjoyable.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The first volume of Otoyomegatari has been published by Yen Press as "A Bride's Story".

They also gave Amira a man's name...for some reason.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Potentially a man's name. I think we need to get Al-Saqr weighting in on this because I have no idea if the "amir" vs "amira" thing is as cut and dry and they just gave her an entirely dude name.

Though I definitely think Amira definitely sounds more like a woman's name to my Western ear, so way to screw up YenPress??

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

Though I definitely think Amira definitely sounds more like a woman's name to my Western ear, so way to screw up YenPress??

Google tells me that Amir means "Prince" and Amira means "Princess".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I just marathoned through Vinland Saga in about a week because of this thread.

Godammit the thought that I read in a week what is equivalent to ~6 years of publications is crushing since it'll now be monthly waits. :(

As for speculation, I'm fairly certain that with Canute being on the Danish mainland now him and Thorfinn will meet some way or another. The farm owner will probably be killed while visiting the capital and Canute will come to check his loving-huge farm, or he'll survive and invite him over (though I personally don't think he'll survive it; perhaps he dies and Canute frees Thorfinn (along with Einar if Thorfinn pressures him to do it) in place of the farm owner).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Roommate and I marathoned through all of "Victorian Romance Emma" last night. i'd watched the first season and read through the manga like 3 times, but I was unaware the second season had an 'anime original end". It wasn't awful, but when I read things like "it was originally supposed to have 3 seasons" it sort of bums me out because there was so much better material in the manga. Way more subdued and less forced. Adding in a 'we have to gather money to save the Jones company!' subplot and making Emma a wavering character at the end was almost straight out of some bullshit american romcom movie. Things wrapped up a little too easily and everyone was suddenly WAY too supportive out of no where when none of the other problems actually went away (like for instance, marrying a maid being a really hard path for both the gentry and the woman.) They made it out like Emma wasn't sure if she wanted to be with Will, when it's waaaaay more about being uncomfortable in the spotlight.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is Otoyomegatari still being scanned? The latest chapter I can find is 17. Though of course, seeing as I know nothing of the publishing schedule that could easily just be because that IS the latest chapter.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Been two months since last chapter was uploaded, which looked to be near end of Volume 3. Wikipedia says Volume 3 is latest work. Can't find anything mentioning a hiatus so I have no idea.

For those following Historie, we are now up to chapter 70.

I recently just read through all of Vagabond, really awesome manga based on the story of Miyamoto Musashi. I'm tempted to try to recreate a similar thread focused on releases like Vagabond and past series like Shigurui which offer a really neat view of samurai life.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

For those following Historie, we are now up to chapter 70.
And a two month hiatus! Horrors! Just when things were really picking up again. We're done with setting the stage, and now we've got some awesome siege action going on, with some really incredible pictures of the ancient town of Byzantium (along with the usual sketches- I'm really going to have to track down the volume releases at some point).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

JerseyMonkey posted:

I recently just read through all of Vagabond, really awesome manga based on the story of Miyamoto Musashi. I'm tempted to try to recreate a similar thread focused on releases like Vagabond and past series like Shigurui which offer a really neat view of samurai life.

I would follow and post in a period manga thread. I'm not sure if that counts as encouragement, but there it is.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
New Vinland saga

I really like where this is going

but I had no idea Leif had a son?

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That Viking has a loving delinquent pompadour. I never thought I'd see the day.

I guess that means its official: every manga worth reading has delinquents.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rakugoon posted:

That Viking has a loving delinquent pompadour. I never thought I'd see the day.

Came to post this. Also, digging the celtic design on Canute's shield and eager to see what Lief Ericsson has to say/do.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh did anyone else notice how much that servant girl looks like Thorfinn's sister from long ago?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I can't look at him without thinking "blonde luigi."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

New Vinland saga

I really like where this is going

but I had no idea Leif had a son?

Leif's son was one of the ones bugging him on his boat in London about his guilt.

e: re this chapter, Canute sure is turning into his dad!!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 26, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New Otoyomegatari chapter!

In this chapter: Wolves, horses, talking about Russians, the best drawn bathing scene ever, and maximum tsundere.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The wolf imagery backing the entire chapter was really interesting.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Haha aww, after all that he still liked Pariya!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

jonjonaug posted:

New Otoyomegatari chapter!

In this chapter: Wolves, horses, talking about Russians, the best drawn bathing scene ever, and maximum tsundere.

"and don't attack him!"

The comment by the father right at the end is also nice. It sounds as if he knew drat well what she was supposed to be like.

Anyway, I care far to much about what happens to these fictional people.

[edit] glee! 19 here as well!

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 24, 2011

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
19 was a fantastic chapter

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 19 was amazing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Vinland Saga 76, my goodness who could have possibly foreseen that things would unravel just as everything started to go well? everyone

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Balls to making rugs and strange obsessions with a white guy getting exotic babes. This is what the thread's really about.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Vinland Saga 76: W E L P god that kid is retarded

Otoyomegatari 19: Somehow I get the feeling that Smith isn't going to be in practice very long given he has no medical knowledge :ohdear:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Otoyomegatari 19 was a good chapter but I'm still depressed over Smith's storyline all the same.

Vinland Saga is good, news at 11.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Otoyomegatari 19 is very depressing if you know the current state of the Aral sea they're at.

Almost all the fish are dead, there's no fishing at all, and everyone in the areas around it are starving to death.

Blame Russian irrigation projects.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, it's one of the most sad and stupid things to have happened.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The stupid thing is, the issue isn't the projects themselves and more that they were lazy with the channels and they lose like 70-80% of the water irrigated off. If they just built them more efficiently :negative:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I used to have a really sad picture of an entire dock built in the middle of a desert, a remnant of when the sea used to come up to that point, but I cant find it.

Still images like this show you just how fast the Aral depeleted. It was on the measure of years, not decades

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Optimistically with modified irrigation canals and modifying the how the rivers move to said canals, you could probably restore much of the water there within ten years, though the lake ecology probably wouldn't recover as fast.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Hello! I just got hired to do the English translation of this comic, Three Kingdoms: Battle of Red Cliff, and was looking for some advice. I don't have any experience with this period of history so I'm doing a bit of research on the speaking style, common spellings of Chinese names and locations, etc. If anyone could point me to some good English versions of Japanese manga related to the Three Kingdoms I'd greatly appreciate it. Bonus points if it's easily available to order on Amazon or something (to the US). Thanks!

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Hello! I just got hired to do the English translation of this comic, Three Kingdoms: Battle of Red Cliff, and was looking for some advice. I don't have any experience with this period of history so I'm doing a bit of research on the speaking style, common spellings of Chinese names and locations, etc. If anyone could point me to some good English versions of Japanese manga related to the Three Kingdoms I'd greatly appreciate it. Bonus points if it's easily available to order on Amazon or something (to the US). Thanks!

I am a total Three Kingdoms nut, so this sounds exciting. The website https://www.kongming.net is a fairly large resource for three kingdoms material, including translated versions of the historical record the novels are based on. Their forums (Scholars of Shen-Zhou) would also be a great place to ask, as many of the regulars are very knowledgeable about the period.

Some things:

As for name spellings, most people would recognize the names only if presented in pinyin, aka "Cao Cao" as opposed to "Tsao Tsao". While less phonetically accurate, thanks to the popularity of the Moss Robert's translation of the novel and Koei's games based of the period they are the most recognizable spellings.

A watching of the John Woo film Red Cliff would probably help acquaint yourself with the specific events in the comic. If you've got the time, a few episodes from the recent 2010 TV series may also help (totally tooting my own horn), though it may be too large of a time investment.

I'm not that familiar with Japanese manga relating to the three kingdoms, but there is Soten Koro. I'm not sure if there are any English translations available, sadly. There is a Chinese Manhua called Ravages of Time which deals with the period, however it has no official English version. Fan translations can probably be found online, however.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If you want to earn major points, make sure not to use the Japanese-phoenetic versions of names for people.

In Japan they've "adapted" the names into the linguistics so that they're more typical in pronunciation. Don't call Cao Cao "Sou Sou" or anything please. Some of the adaptations get really odd (Dong Zhuo -> Tō Taku etc)

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

TooManyUzukis posted:

I am a total Three Kingdoms nut, so this sounds exciting. The website https://www.kongming.net is a fairly large resource for three kingdoms material, including translated versions of the historical record the novels are based on. Their forums (Scholars of Shen-Zhou) would also be a great place to ask, as many of the regulars are very knowledgeable about the period.

Some things:

As for name spellings, most people would recognize the names only if presented in pinyin, aka "Cao Cao" as opposed to "Tsao Tsao". While less phonetically accurate, thanks to the popularity of the Moss Robert's translation of the novel and Koei's games based of the period they are the most recognizable spellings.

A watching of the John Woo film Red Cliff would probably help acquaint yourself with the specific events in the comic. If you've got the time, a few episodes from the recent 2010 TV series may also help (totally tooting my own horn), though it may be too large of a time investment.

I'm not that familiar with Japanese manga relating to the three kingdoms, but there is Soten Koro. I'm not sure if there are any English translations available, sadly. There is a Chinese Manhua called Ravages of Time which deals with the period, however it has no official English version. Fan translations can probably be found online, however.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'd seen previews for the Red Cliff movie way back but for some reason it hadn't popped to mind when thinking about this project. It will serve well as my...Cliffs Notes, eh heh heh :hehe: Probably not enough time to watch the tv show you mentioned since the schedule is kinda tight, but if the story draws me in it'll be a good place to start my nerdery. I'll check out the manga you mentioned too, thanks again!

Zorak posted:

If you want to earn major points, make sure not to use the Japanese-phoenetic versions of names for people.

In Japan they've "adapted" the names into the linguistics so that they're more typical in pronunciation. Don't call Cao Cao "Sou Sou" or anything please. Some of the adaptations get really odd (Dong Zhuo -> Tō Taku etc)

Yeah, we decided to go with pinyin. It didn't even take much to convince them to go that way, a pleasant change from most translation clients.

As far as specific spellings go, which do Three Kingdom nerds prefer? For example: "Cao Cao" or "Cáo Cāo," "Zhou Yu" or "Zhōu Yú"? I'm guessing the non-accented versions but I mostly don't want to have to learn the keyboard shortcuts to type those things in.

Any other things that have bothered you guys in other translations of books/comics from this era? I've done a bunch of other comic stuff but never anything historical (I don't think a comic about star-crossed lesbians in 1920's Japan counts as historical...) or set in China, so I figured asking here would be a good place to avoid giant blunders like "Zolo."