Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Or if you have lovely bandwidth caps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Justice posted:

The only reason to buy the UMD version is if the game comes with something, like a konamistyle package or pre-order bonus.

Or if the game never comes to PSN.

But there are also quite a few games (great ones included) that aren't on PSN. And old UMD games are dirt cheap.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Well some games are just plain cheaper on UMD as well. Persona 3 is 28 bucks at Amazon as a UMD but it's still 40 bucks for the download. That's a good enough deal in my book to buy a physical copy.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Jarate posted:

I'm about to buy a PSP! With the NGP coming out soon, should I just download all of my games so I can keep them for backwards compatibility reasons, or just say "gently caress it" and buy them all retail?

What you might want to consider, and don't laugh, is getting a PSPgo. I got one a few months ago and they are dirt cheap now. You can get a refurbished one from Gamestop with a bunch of accessories (headphones, cleaning cloth, screen protectors, some other stuff I forget) for 100 bucks, possibly less by now. That's with the PSP-3000 going for 130ish refurbished. It has 16gb of built-in memory so you don't have to buy a card, and if you can deal with the awkward size it's perfect for filling up with games you want to bring over to NGP later.

I found a cheap starter kit on Amazon that has a little grip/cradle thing you can pop it into that makes it feel like holding a PS3 controller and that almost makes the size not an issue, though the joystick thing is still not cool.

But yea if you're on a budget, the prices of some games on PSN are ridiculous. Games you can buy used for 10 bucks could possibly still be their original 30 or 40 dollars online. One alternative is to check Amazon for digital games, as they discount those sometimes. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is like 8 bucks on there now.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I always forget Amazon does digital games. I really need to not forget because I vastly prefer digital releases and don't enjoy getting reamed price-wise on things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

orphean posted:

I always forget Amazon does digital games. I really need to not forget because I vastly prefer digital releases and don't enjoy getting reamed price-wise on things.

Amazon exclusive PSN sales are far and few between, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pursuit Force is actually really really fun. I'm surprised it plays so well. This may well be the best free game I've ever played.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pursuit Force looked amazing back in the day, but I don't think it ever came to North America for some reason. Then it was quite pricey on PSN for a while.

I'm still waiting for PSN Lumines :(

I picked up Pusuit Force and MNR since I already owned the other two. I highly highly highly recommend Killzone: Liberation. I could see LittleBigPlanet being great if you have lots of time to kill on transit to make your own levels.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Pursuit Force will never leave my memory stick. All these RPG's are come and go but Fursuit Porce will always be at my side. I forgot games like this existed on this console. :v:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't tried Pursuit Force yet, but Just Cause 2 is probably like an expanded version of the concept eh? (And for PC :D )

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

frogg posted:

Fursuit Porce :v:

Freudian?

Is everyone trying to access JP PSN from outside Japan being blocked now, or just US and Canada? Both through my PSP and MediaGo I am getting 'This service not allowed in your region" when trying to connect to the JP PSN.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 4, 2011

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I already purchased Killzone Liberation and put it on my PS3's memory--just got to make more room on my PSP memory stick to check it out.

What Did I Do To Deserve This My Lord 2 was maddenly addictive in its own way, it's just that random chance plays too much a role in it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

Freudian?

Is everyone trying to access JP PSN from outside Japan being blocked now, or just US and Canada? Both through my PSP and MediaGo I am getting 'This service not allowed in your region" when trying to connect to the JP PSN.

I don't believe the Japanese store is up yet. People were getting the same message when trying to access the European store from the US before it was up (or vice versa), so it seems like a default connection problem message rather than a sign of blocking outside IPs.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I ended up getting a PSP-3000. I'd rather have a 2000, but this was only $130 at the store, and I already had Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Persona 3 Portable lying around.

I'm already having some weird screen problem. I'm not sure if this is image persistence or what, to be honest, but it's mildly annoying. There's a constant "border" at the edge of my screen at all times. I don't know exactly what it is, and it's not often that it's noticeable due to busy gameplay or whatever, but I still know it's there and it still bothers the crap out of me.

I'm too impatient to try to learn Unite's controls right now, so I'm about to go on a PSOne downloading spree. Can anyone recommend a specific inexpensive memory stick? The two 4 GB I bought at the store cost me $30 each (!!!).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jarate posted:

I ended up getting a PSP-3000. I'd rather have a 2000, but this was only $130 at the store, and I already had Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Persona 3 Portable lying around.

I'm already having some weird screen problem. I'm not sure if this is image persistence or what, to be honest, but it's mildly annoying. There's a constant "border" at the edge of my screen at all times. I don't know exactly what it is, and it's not often that it's noticeable due to busy gameplay or whatever, but I still know it's there and it still bothers the crap out of me.

I never checked up on it more thoroughly, but my PSP has the exact same issue, and I know it's fairly commonplace. I was initially worried but I bought my PSP almost 2 years ago and I've had no other complications. In many games you won't even be able to see it unless you really try. I forgot about it until you brought it just now, despite using my PSP just yesterday.

Jarate posted:

I'm too impatient to try to learn Unite's controls right now, so I'm about to go on a PSOne downloading spree. Can anyone recommend a specific inexpensive memory stick? The two 4 GB I bought at the store cost me $30 each (!!!).
Retail's always a rip off. Check Amazon. Prices oscillate, but for the 8GB the prices regularly dip to $20 if not less. SanDisk cards are no worse than Sony's (sometimes better) and usually cheaper. Some people use this sort of adaptor that let's you stick two Micro SD card into a Memory Stick casing, which comes out cheaper per GB. But if you want to avoid the potential hassle, as did I, the regular Memory Sticks Pro Duos should be cheap enough on Amazon.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I don't believe the Japanese store is up yet. People were getting the same message when trying to access the European store from the US before it was up (or vice versa), so it seems like a default connection problem message rather than a sign of blocking outside IPs.
For some reason they always show that message when the store is down for maintenance, for years and years. It really freaked me out the first time I saw it. I can add that to the list of nonsensical things SCE does for apparently no reason other than to worry their customers.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm still rocking the PSP-1000. Looking forward to the NGP if only so I can finally see PSP games without motion blur nonsense :allears:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Samurai Sanders posted:

For some reason they always show that message when the store is down for maintenance, for years and years. It really freaked me out the first time I saw it. I can add that to the list of nonsensical things SCE does for apparently no reason other than to worry their customers.

Thank god. Sega pushed Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity's Maximum Attack Infinity event back to June 1st-29th but the 100% Element God Hand weapon event ends on the 9th. They just released some more missions and DLC too, but without access to the store...

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I know I've already asked about Pursuit Force, but now I'm flip-flopping between that and LBP as my second PSP game. How is the the PSP version of LBP? I remember hearing that there is no user made levels is this true?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Nope, you can make your own levels, it's pretty fun.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can you play other users levels?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yep you can download other people's levels, there's no multiplayer though.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the info. My choice just got a little harder. good thing I've got so long to choose.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Go wished me a happy birthday today when I closed it :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm finding Pursuit Force incredibly hard. What am I doing wrong? :(

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Anyone with a Go try out Pursuit Force yet? I'm not sure if it's just my console but it freezes whenever I try to pause or quit using the PS button. :mad: Good game though, reeks of the 90s.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I'm finding Pursuit Force incredibly hard. What am I doing wrong? :(

Good question, which part of what mission are you on?

Basically, as near as I can tell, if you're about to die, press triangle to use up your super meter to heal you and your car completely. (When it's full, it otherwise boosts your damage and regeneration rates). Try not to bump your car into any non-enemy cars, brake or at least slow down on the turns, and don't panic.

Oh, and the game doesn't tell you how to do this, but apparently if you want to arrest an enemy during the on-foot portions, you need to get really close to them and hit R. Doing so gives you their weapon.

Pursuit Force's car-hijacking reminds me so much of a parachute-less version of Just Cause 2...man, that game would have been so much better if it had had a couple more car chase missions.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 5, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Good question, which part of what mission are you on?

I'm early on. I can't beat the mission where I have to protect the mayor, or the one where I have to save the warhead. I can't get A ranks on some other ones because I apparently take too long to finish them.

I know how to arrest people and use that justice bar to refill my health. I'm just getting my rear end handed to me by falling behind or getting my vehicle destroyed when I don't have a bar to refill with or another vehicle to jump to.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Speedball posted:

Oh, and the game doesn't tell you how to do this, but apparently if you want to arrest an enemy during the on-foot portions, you need to get really close to them and hit R. Doing so gives you their weapon.

Yeah it does tell you how to do that. It is a hard game I remember that from when it first came out. Checkpoints would be nice too so you don't have to start the whole level again. I heard a US release added that but the version i just downloaded does not. Fun game but pretty frustrating, not bad for free though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've only had some relatively brief transit time to play so far, but I found the poison gas military mission pretty straight-forward. I'm struggling so hard with the first mafia mission though ... I can't seem to do anything about the enemy cars, and by the end they're just pumping so much lead into my car I always detonate.

frogg posted:

Anyone with a Go try out Pursuit Force yet? I'm not sure if it's just my console but it freezes whenever I try to pause or quit using the PS button. :mad: Good game though, reeks of the 90s.
I'm having glitches from time to time too, but I can quit fine. Pausing crashes it though. Sometimes it decides it won't sleep too.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

teethgrinder posted:

I've only had some relatively brief transit time to play so far, but I found the poison gas military mission pretty straight-forward. I'm struggling so hard with the first mafia mission though ... I can't seem to do anything about the enemy cars, and by the end they're just pumping so much lead into my car I always detonate.

I'm having glitches from time to time too, but I can quit fine. Pausing crashes it though. Sometimes it decides it won't sleep too.

Yup just found out quit works also, exact same symptoms with Pause/Quit here as well. :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Hey I kinda have a weird problem.

I know with the PS3 you are allowed multiple accounts, and when I first made my PSN account I had a typo so I made another one (thinking it didn't go through the first time.) Then I made a JP account to get JP access to stuff.

So they are all eligible for the free games downloads since they are all about a year old.

My question is, just today on my PSP I realized this and tried to download another game. It gave me the following error message:

"This system is activated with a different account. If you perform this operation, you will not be able to use content that requires activation of the other account on this system. Do you want to continue?"

Does this mean it permanently deactivates my previous games downloaded? Or would it just require me to sign in with my other account in order to "re-activate" my permissions?

For those of you wondering what my mistake was.. I had accidentally typed in "@gmal.com" when I first signed up, didn't notice I misspelled it and created a second account with the proper "@gmail.com" setting.

Note To Mods: I don't think this is considered FILEZ but if it is, please delete this post. It's no biggie. Was just trying to find a good answer.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Yeah you just have to sign in each time to play games under different accounts. It's the reason why there aren't that many PSP gameshares going on since it's a hassle. You don't lose anything, all your games will still be there except they're just password protected is all.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
So my Welcome Back Game 1 bugged out and I didn't get a d/l redeemed with it, but WB Game 2 worked. How do I fix this without the Account Management page up through Media Go?

Can I fix through PS3?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

empathe posted:

So my Welcome Back Game 1 bugged out and I didn't get a d/l redeemed with it, but WB Game 2 worked. How do I fix this without the Account Management page up through Media Go?

Can I fix through PS3?

glod posted:

I had this happen too, you can get your free game by going to the network part of the XMB, account management -> transaction management -> services list -> SCEA promotion.

Through your PSP or I assume PS3 also.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No Valkyria Chronicles 3 localization at this E3.

:sigh:

Guess I'd better go get myself an import copy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Guess I'd better go get myself an import copy.
It is pretty drat sweet. Also holy hell is it long, I've had it for months and months, and I'm only about a third finished.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Hey Go owners (Gowners) do any of you have those rubbery case/frame/shell things for your consoles? I've seen them for regular PSP's and iPhones and stuff and I thought for sure I saw a Go one somewhere.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

frogg posted:

Hey Go owners (Gowners) do any of you have those rubbery case/frame/shell things for your consoles? I've seen them for regular PSP's and iPhones and stuff and I thought for sure I saw a Go one somewhere.

Yeah, I have an official Go carry case. Bought it with some GameStop credit. It's not bad but it doesn't cover the entire unit, it's like a Go Bra or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So I got Valkyria Chronicles 3 like I said earlier and I'm not sure whether I should ask this in here or the old, more or less defunct Valkyria Chronicles II thread, but are there any gameplay changes from 2 (or 1) that I should be aware of? Do fallen soldiers die like in VC1 or are they just wounded like in VC2?

• Locked thread