Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I Take Completed as either all achievements, beaten on hard for straight up shooters, seeing all the endings stuff like that.
Mastered is for special things like a speedrun, low item run in metroid etc.

Also: The way I found to not get bored when adding all steam games is to just keep your steam games list open in a tab and just add 5-6 every day or time you get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Working on getting all my Steam stuff, at the moment. Thanks for adding me to your multitaps.

My standard for Completed is beaten on hard or stuff like that or 75% of the achievements. To be honest, I'd rather just have one or the other.

Oh, and in backlog news I bought Hamilton's Great Adventure and am slowly going through DiRT 3. Finished The Witcher 2 and Bulletstorm at least.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finished Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Although it doesn't really count, since I beat it more than once on PS2, way back in the day.

Thoughts: It did not age particularly well. Maybe it's because I played AC2 last week, but the platforming element felt clunky and hampered by a lovely camera system. The combat is boring at best (one-hit an enemy by vaulting or wall-rebounding, collect sand, repeat) and frustrating at worst (the loving elevator ride). Basically, by the time the credits rolled, I was glad it was over.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
http://backloggery.com/ManxomeBromide

Time for the flood! I'm going to hold off on adding in my "beaten/completed" PC backlog until after the site can get a few breaths of fresh air, but my more modest console collection is basically up to date. I'll have to dig through my closet to make sure.

By a happy coincidence, I've also now finished exactly those games I mentioned last time, those being Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Awesome and peril-laden, and easily the first survival horror game I've actually enjoyed) and Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (Pretty solid, liked Episode 2 the best).

I also fell to the Ubisoft sales and have added Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, Splinter Cell, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory to the log. The month of May saw my backlog grow the wrong way. Thanks to this thread I've gotten the sense that AC1 is to be played through straight, as fast as possible, and without looking from side to side.

I'm now cruising through the cel-shaded Prince of Persia as a bit of a palate cleanser after all the horror. I still have the names of dead gods constantly whispered in my ears (thanks, Lovecraftian Magical Sparkle Princess!) but at least this time they're benevolent! Probably!

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

fungi^2 posted:

I'm certainly not going to do that.

It doesn't take that long, especially if you're playing a game while doing it. Add five games every time the game starts to load, or after you complete a mission, or after you die.

I'm so not changing it to Steam and GOG. They're all PC so they can stay in the PC category.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I added most everybody here, but feel free to add me to your lists:
http://www.backloggery.com/plc268

Mr Right posted:

I'm so not changing it to Steam and GOG. They're all PC so they can stay in the PC category.

Same here. It's always kind of weird when I see people do that. They're all PC games to me, and I don't see why the distinction is important.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 4, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

KFCB posted:

I hate the compulsion I feel to do that poo poo in the Assassin's Creed games. I am doing myself a favor in AC:B and not buying any of the maps because if I do, I know I am going to wind up sinking hours into collecting all of them just like I did in AC2.

Well the thing with ACB is that the chests give you some of the items you need for shop quests. In AC2, they only give you money, which is overflowing by the end of the game so you don't need to bother with them.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Purple D. Link posted:

And have the hardest difficulty beaten if that applies.

I noticed today that they added Steam and GOG categories recently. I have so many games I need reorganize now. :(

God DAMNIT. They couldn't have done this yesterday?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

americanzero4128 posted:

Yesterday as in June 3rd? I started my account and backlog yesterday at 1 PM EST, and Steam was there...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

It's been there ever since the new layout and style.
Opening every game in a new tab and just quickly changing tabs and the dropdown makes it pretty fast to change.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Well the thing with ACB is that the chests give you some of the items you need for shop quests. In AC2, they only give you money, which is overflowing by the end of the game so you don't need to bother with them.

No, I get that but thankfully chests are not the only way to get those items. And it's not like I am avoiding them... I just am not buying those drat maps so as to avoid my feeling of compulsion to just "clear the area as long as I am here".

I had the same problem with Just Cause 2. "Oh, I am heading over to this faction mission? May as well as stop at these 14 towns to destroy poo poo/pick up resources on my way there!" and then odds are I would not even make it to the location :(

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Yesterday as in June 3rd? I started my account and backlog yesterday at 1 PM EST, and Steam was there...

Welp :downs:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

KFCB posted:

No, I get that but thankfully chests are not the only way to get those items. And it's not like I am avoiding them... I just am not buying those drat maps so as to avoid my feeling of compulsion to just "clear the area as long as I am here".

I had the same problem with Just Cause 2. "Oh, I am heading over to this faction mission? May as well as stop at these 14 towns to destroy poo poo/pick up resources on my way there!" and then odds are I would not even make it to the location :(

I've realized that my completionism is a big obstacle in getting through my backlog. I've always had an impulse to do every single thing so that I could get the most hours out of a game. Now my problem isn't stretching my games to fill up my hours, it's finding ways to jam all of my games into the hours I have.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Finally got MY BACKLOG updated and personalized. It's the most I ever put into a personal page, I think. Big ups to my gal for making the banner for me. She finally wants me to put time into all the games I bought.

As you can tell from the backlog, I have quite a lot. :smith:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The site right now seems pretty slow, so I'll update my backlog later.

I did just finish Braid (I didn't do the speedruns, so I guess in Backloggery parlance that'd be a "beaten" and not a "completed"), and I beat the normal mode of Recettear last week. Not quite done with that given all the postgame content, though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Caved in today and bought Hector: Episode 1 from the Telltale online store. It was $2.50 because they're having a 75% off sale, that's basically free!

Still, that's the only game I've bought since Bully in April. Which was also around $3.

I've been playing the first Fear expansion pack which I somehow missed back when it came out, but grabbed as part of a Steam deal. Fear was one of my favorite FPS games of the last few years, they just nailed the controls and overall feel of the game, and the gimmicks were really fun. The Asian horror movie staple long-haired girl stopped being scary right away though.

edit: poo poo, completely forgot I also bought Pathologic from a GoG sale last month. I've barely even played that either.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 5, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I had a 50% coupon show up for Rift on D2D waiting for me when I woke up this morning...

MMO. My worst enemy to complete games.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
Haven't added much yet, but what the heck: http://www.backloggery.com/thewittyname

I tried to add everyone who's posted a profile so far. I'm still working on Hitman: Blood Money, but it's slow going for me. Since finishing Portal 2, I've also completed Medal of Honor Airborne and NecroVision (both were fun FPSs, but clunky). I'm working on NecroVision Lost Company right now, which apparently is only a few hours long, as well as the Penny Arcade games.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I wish Valve would just buy this guy out. Backloggery with automated library adding, automatic completion detection (based on achievements, where available), and a huge social aspect would be pretty great.

I mean, even without automated adding, they could do a lot to make this more painless. You can't even click someone else's game entry and add that game to your list. Just that would add a lot, for me.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

XboxPants posted:

I wish Valve would just buy this guy out. Backloggery with automated library adding, automatic completion detection (based on achievements, where available), and a huge social aspect would be pretty great.

I mean, even without automated adding, they could do a lot to make this more painless. You can't even click someone else's game entry and add that game to your list. Just that would add a lot, for me.
Your complaints are things that could be easily added if he so choose. Hell, even having a way to add your backlog from Steam shouldn't be hard. Writing a script for it would take all of 20 minutes if he knows what he's doing. Adding a "quick" add for a game when you're looking at another user's entry wouldn't be that hard either. None of these things are hard, though to be fair, it is a team of one person. I'd say his main issue is his popularity and how he's too poor to actually afford a server that can handle it.

Valve buying him out would be pretty neat as they really could enhance the site quite a bit, but then you run into the issue that it's not really a "steam" platform, but rather one that's supposed to be applied to all systems that a person owns and all the games on that system, not just Steam.

Also, http://www.backloggery.com/master_odin

e: To continue on this, I take back what I said about the "though to be fair". A lot of the site screams amateur web developer who has never actually used the web. There's nothing automated, no way to do things in bulk (deleting pm messages or deleting a couple games from your list), obvious usability things are missing (such as guy adds you to their multitap, there's no way to add them on the spot? no way to delete game when viewing it in your list but you have to actually go to the edit page to select delete, what?). It's a very neat site, but as a bedroom web developer, the whole thing makes me cringe.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 5, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally got all my games added, for progress, I just finished Dantooine in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I'm now beginning the planet hopping part of the game. If memory servers, I'm roughly 1/3 of the way done now.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Guess I had better get in on this, I've entered my collection into the Backloggery and it says I have nearly 70 unfinished games.

I bought a new computer for the first time since 2004 earlier this year and have been trying to get caught up on the major games I've missed over the years. Between that and Steam's and GoG's awesome sales, my list is steadily growing. Right now, my collection isn't quite large enough for me to completely stop buying games (though I'm only going to get games I'm interested in and only if they are on sale), but I am buying them much faster than I am completing them, so I really need to concentrate on that.

My problem was trying to play through too many games at once, but I've narrowed it down to three at the moment (two RPGS with one on my desktop and one on my PC, and a FPS to break the monotony).

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Two things.

First, a question: How do I add someone to Multitap? Like, I have the Edit Multitap screen, but there's nothing there to drag as advertised.

Second, just beat Mirror's Edge. I've gotta say, I'm happy to get it out of the way. It starts off just like it should, there's a good flow to the first couple levels, then it just inexplicably TANKS. I spent a great deal of time trying desperately to figure out where to go, and a lot of times dying to cops because of the broken timing on weapon disarms. It just got more and more frustrating the more I played of it. It's a TON of fun when it works, but so much of the map design just defeats the purpose of the game.

Worst of all though, the vent crawling. Why, why, WHY is there vent crawling in a free-running game? :negative:

Ah well. Next on my list is going to be a heavy focus on Red Faction.

e: minus!=negative

Mr. Saturday fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 6, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Under the user's name on the right, where their avatar is, you'll see "Add to Multitap +"

I got pretty far in Red Faction but then the game suddenly stopped working for me. It would crash every time I tried to load a level. I almost want to count it as beaten anyway but I nulled it.

EDIT: Whoops, right I meant.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 5, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

I made something to clarify where everything is, the old design was more user friendly then the current version:

My Design: as reference. (clicky)

Where to find poo poo:

Quoting this for a new page in case people missed it.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Caved in today and bought Hector: Episode 1 from the Telltale online store. It was $2.50 because they're having a 75% off sale, that's basically free!

Still, that's the only game I've bought since Bully in April. Which was also around $3.

I've been playing the first Fear expansion pack which I somehow missed back when it came out, but grabbed as part of a Steam deal. Fear was one of my favorite FPS games of the last few years, they just nailed the controls and overall feel of the game, and the gimmicks were really fun. The Asian horror movie staple long-haired girl stopped being scary right away though.

edit: poo poo, completely forgot I also bought Pathologic from a GoG sale last month. I've barely even played that either.

Hector is only about two hours long, so it won't take much to complete. It's decent, though.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Only have a few games added right now, but working on getting most of steam backlog on this site. It's not nearly as much as most people in this thread, but it's still something that needs to be worked on before this summer sale wipes me out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Though my actual backlog is around 140 games (on the PC alone), I'm starting with the games I'm most interested in completing this year.

http://www.backloggery.com/doctorfrog

Also, turned out I had an account on Backloggery already. I waited for the site to reopen for no good damned reason!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mr. Saturday posted:

Second, just beat Mirror's Edge. I've gotta say, I'm happy to get it out of the way. It starts off just like it should, there's a good flow to the first couple levels, then it just inexplicably TANKS. I spent a great deal of time trying desperately to figure out where to go, and a lot of times dying to cops because of the broken timing on weapon disarms. It just got more and more frustrating the more I played of it. It's a TON of fun when it works, but so much of the map design just defeats the purpose of the game.

Worst of all though, the vent crawling. Why, why, WHY is there vent crawling in a free-running game? :minus:

I'm playing through this at the moment and agree with pretty much everything you have said. It's not very good. The shooting mechanics are so, so bad. There are too many vents. The story is boring. etc. :bang:

EDIT: And I'm finished. gently caress that game.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Completed Assassin's Creed 2 last night. I planned on starting AC:B right afterwards but thats a whole lot of Assassin's Creed at once. I might go for Sam & Max next or one of those dozen or so charming indie games that I still need to play.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My favorite parts of Mirror's Edge is when you're outside just flying along rooftops and everything is clicking, you're hitting all the jumps right and the game is just so fast-paced. Unfortunately if the whole game was like that it'd probably be about an hour long, so I imagine they threw in some of those terrible roadblocks to extend the gameplay. It's a shame, because I like the idea of what's basically a first person parkour game, with the environments being the challenge rather than a bunch of guys with guns.

I noticed there's challenge modes, those might actually be fun to work on getting perfect, but once I was done with the main game I didn't have any desire to go back to it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Completed Assassin's Creed 2 last night. I planned on starting AC:B right afterwards but thats a whole lot of Assassin's Creed at once. I might go for Sam & Max next or one of those dozen or so charming indie games that I still need to play.

Yeah, definitely take a break for a bit. I took about a month between AC2 and AC:B and I am glad I did. Love the games, find the stories wonderful but there are some things that bug the poo poo out of me that would have been awful had I just went straight from AC2 to AC:B. Namely when Ezio jumps in the WRONG loving DIRECTION YOU MORON.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

From Earth posted:

Finished Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Although it doesn't really count, since I beat it more than once on PS2, way back in the day.

Thoughts: It did not age particularly well. Maybe it's because I played AC2 last week, but the platforming element felt clunky and hampered by a lovely camera system. The combat is boring at best (one-hit an enemy by vaulting or wall-rebounding, collect sand, repeat) and frustrating at worst (the loving elevator ride). Basically, by the time the credits rolled, I was glad it was over.

I'm most of the way through the latest PoP game at the moment, the platforming is fun enough though simplistic, but the combat is repetitive and mostly QTE's. The banter between the characters is painful to sit through and worst of all can't be skipped. But overall its okay, just average.

I bought the entire pack because I never finished The Two Thrones on PS2. I might go back to the Sands of Time again, the combat will poo poo me, but some of the environments were really memorable and the platforming was a lot better than many of the games of that era.

Although I love 3D platformers, I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the Assassin's Creed specials. I just finished Brotherhood on the Xbox, my first and only AC game and I think that was enough for me.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm most of the way through the latest PoP game at the moment, the platforming is fun enough though simplistic, but the combat is repetitive and mostly QTE's. The banter between the characters is painful to sit through and worst of all can't be skipped. But overall its okay, just average.

I bought the entire pack because I never finished The Two Thrones on PS2. I might go back to the Sands of Time again, the combat will poo poo me, but some of the environments were really memorable and the platforming was a lot better than many of the games of that era.

Although I love 3D platformers, I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the Assassin's Creed specials. I just finished Brotherhood on the Xbox, my first and only AC game and I think that was enough for me.

In related news, I'm almost done with Warrior Within; I've only got the final boss left, and I might just skip it and watch the ending on YouTube, because seriously, gently caress that noise.

One word that sums up my thoughts about WW: WHY? Why did they feel the need to make it so dark and gritty? Why did they think people would want to listen to loving Godsmack in a PoP game? Why did they include the stupid "press four buttons in the correct order" puzzle not once, not twice, but a dozen loving times? Why did they apparently listen to the voice of the crow guy and go, yeah, that's cool, we'll use this in our triple-A title? WHY ALL THE loving BACKTRACKING?

I was planning to play Two Thrones after this, but thanks to WW, I'm done with PoP for the next couple of months.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

My computer is broken down for a couple of days.
Well time to connect the gamecube I guess :D

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My favorite parts of Mirror's Edge is when you're outside just flying along rooftops and everything is clicking, you're hitting all the jumps right and the game is just so fast-paced. Unfortunately if the whole game was like that it'd probably be about an hour long, so I imagine they threw in some of those terrible roadblocks to extend the gameplay. It's a shame, because I like the idea of what's basically a first person parkour game, with the environments being the challenge rather than a bunch of guys with guns.

I noticed there's challenge modes, those might actually be fun to work on getting perfect, but once I was done with the main game I didn't have any desire to go back to it.
It doesn't help that some of those challenge maps are just completely bullshit in that the only way to get a gold is to jump off a chair, grab a light, climb up it, and then go over the railing in a completely unrealistic parkour motion.

I really do hope they make another Mirror's Edge and make it a lot mroe open spaced and don't have weird parts where you go underground and there's a lot of stopping and going and what have you.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hitting F10 blew my mind. I totally didn't know you could get the original art! :aaaaa:

To be honest I was a bit bored getting to Monkey Island a few months back so hopefully I have enough enthusiasm to finish this time.

Also the original theme is my ringtone/alarm tone. :neckbeard:

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I must just be weird because as soon as I completed Mirror's Edge, I went straight back and beat it on the hardest difficulty, and then went through all the challenge maps. The feeling of absolutely nailing the perfect route, flying through it at breakneck speed is unbelievable. I really consider it a racing game, and I think if you go into it with that mindset you might enjoy it more? Probably helps that I really loved the art design and atmosphere.

I'll concede that the boss fight on the ship is terrible, though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

From Earth posted:

In related news, I'm almost done with Warrior Within; I've only got the final boss left, and I might just skip it and watch the ending on YouTube, because seriously, gently caress that noise.

One word that sums up my thoughts about WW: WHY? Why did they feel the need to make it so dark and gritty? Why did they think people would want to listen to loving Godsmack in a PoP game? Why did they include the stupid "press four buttons in the correct order" puzzle not once, not twice, but a dozen loving times? Why did they apparently listen to the voice of the crow guy and go, yeah, that's cool, we'll use this in our triple-A title? WHY ALL THE loving BACKTRACKING?

I was planning to play Two Thrones after this, but thanks to WW, I'm done with PoP for the next couple of months.

I just realised I wasn't playing the latest PoP game. I thought 'Prince of Persia' was the latest one, not "The Forgotten Sands".

I enjoyed Warrior Within when it first came out, the gameplay is decent even if its the presentation is all tribal tats and bad metal music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Pocket Billiards posted:

I just realised I wasn't playing the latest PoP game. I thought 'Prince of Persia' was the latest one, not "The Forgotten Sands".

Just beat this a couple days ago myself, and, yeah, pretty much. You can cut down on the banter by never hitting L2. I liked them when they were helping each other balance, not so much when they open their mouths.

I noticed about 3/4 of the way through the game that the QTE attacks can be triggered even when you aren't having them cued; by the last few fights I was much more in Baby's First Combo Fighter mode than I was in Generic QTE Battle mode.

I never played WW, but I actually liked the backtracking in PoP 2008 - and this from someone who usually hates scavenger hunts. How similar are they?