Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Next Corvette could have a 3l V8 that revs to 10k. Before everyone gets all abloobloobloo, imagine the noise that fucker would make!

quote:

General Motors will equip its all-new Corvette C7 with a high-revving turbocharged V8 engine as part of its desire to offer a mainstream rival to Porsche and Ferrari.
The new V8 will be just over 3.0 litres in capacity and is expected to have around 400bhp. Senior GM sources claim it could rev as high as 10,000rpm.

GM won’t abandon the Corvette’s ‘There’s no replacement for displacement’ philosophy entirely, however. Other engines will be offered, including a classic big-block OHV V8 designed to appeal to the Corvette’s traditional buyers.
The new downsized V8 could also find use in Cadillac’s high-performance V models, including the CTS-V range.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/257498/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dr JonboyG posted:

Next Corvette could have a 3l V8 that revs to 10k. Before everyone gets all abloobloobloo, imagine the noise that fucker would make!

I suppose it's going to be mid-engined too? Every time the Corvette nears the end of its model cycle, these retarded rumours surface again. Why would GM spend all kinds of money (which they don't really have) developing an exotic new V8 that would conceivably be used in only one, limited-production model?

I would say it is far more likely that we'd see a turbo V6 if GM decides to stray from the small-block V8 in the Corvette.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holden could definitely find a use for a small-displacement V8.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

I suppose it's going to be mid-engined too? Every time the Corvette nears the end of its model cycle, these retarded rumours surface again. Why would GM spend all kinds of money (which they don't really have) developing an exotic new V8 that would conceivably be used in only one, limited-production model?

I would say it is far more likely that we'd see a turbo V6 if GM decides to stray from the small-block V8 in the Corvette.

There's supposed to be a small 3 series size Cadillac coming out soon too, the performance variant of that car could use this small V8. There's no way the economics of this will ever work but it would be neat if GM put out a small flat plane V8 on the market, there aren't enough of them.

quote:

Holden could definitely find a use for a small-displacement V8.

For what? Is there a small lightweight RWD Holden in the pipe? Because that's really the only kind of car this hting would be suitable for.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

eames posted:

2012 1 series

:saddowns:

This really looks like it has downs syndrome.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

For what? Is there a small lightweight RWD Holden in the pipe? Because that's really the only kind of car this hting would be suitable for.

With the turbos it'll be a competitor for the XR6 Turbo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrChips posted:

Funny you should say that :D http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/256918/

What could be cool is if they developed the 3l V8 into an Indycar engine too.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Dr JonboyG posted:

So they would spend a ton of money developing a new engine that makes less hp then the current offering in the base model vette? :downs:

I would have expected them to downside the displacement of at least one engine option to 5L or something for their Le Mans/ALMS racing program. But the ACO lifted the displacement regs that forced their racing program to use the 5.5L LS motor that they're currently using so I doubt we'll see a smaller engine in the vette.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

eames posted:

2012 1 series

:saddowns:

Not quite as hideous as the current 1-Series, and at least they got rid of the curved door bottoms that make the sills look as though they're sagging, but still rather blecch. It's a small car, so why do they cram so many crimps and swooshes into the metalwork? It just looks like it's trying too hard.

Still, at least it's not actively repulsive like the X1. (Take 1-Series design, stretch by 30% on vertical axis, break for lunch.)

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

eames posted:

2012 1 series

Oh hey, a VW polo. Wait no, it's the most hideous BMW ever, nevermind.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think we can take anything that Corvette article says with a huge grain of salt, if they also think GM will put a "classic" big block in a new Corvette. :wtc:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Raluek posted:

I think we can take anything that Corvette article says with a huge grain of salt, if they also think GM will put a "classic" big block in a new Corvette. :wtc:

The article's source is a .uk website, they probably aren't hip to the subtleties of "big block" vs "small block".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

Not quite as hideous as the current 1-Series, and at least they got rid of the curved door bottoms that make the sills look as though they're sagging, but still rather blecch. It's a small car, so why do they cram so many crimps and swooshes into the metalwork? It just looks like it's trying too hard.

Still, at least it's not actively repulsive like the X1. (Take 1-Series design, stretch by 30% on vertical axis, break for lunch.)

Wow, I think this is actually way worse than the current 1-series. I'll agree about the sagging door, but other than that, this looks worse in every way from the retarded grille/headlights to the overdone hood. Also, while the X1 is pretty bad, I think it's just generic little SUV-looking and not at all as offensive as this new piece of poo poo. Compare and contrast:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
BMW is slowly turning into Pontiac

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow, I think this is actually way worse than the current 1-series. I'll agree about the sagging door, but other than that, this looks worse in every way from the retarded grille/headlights to the overdone hood. Also, while the X1 is pretty bad, I think it's just generic little SUV-looking and not at all as offensive as this new piece of poo poo. Compare and contrast:

The current 1 series at least apes the old e46, which was actually good looking. The X1 takes the one series and makes it taller and worse, but the new one is just terrible. The headlights don't go with the front of the car and the size of the kidney grilles combined with the headlights create a bunch of vertical blank space. To be honest, when they inevitably turn this into an X1 it will probably look better.

New BMW styling makes me sad :smith:

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

mobby_6kl posted:

If you're gonna compare at least use the hatch not the saloon, since that's what this new one is.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Look like BMW has officially released more photos now:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-bmw-1-series-0/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hog Obituary posted:

Look like BMW has officially released more photos now:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-bmw-1-series-0/

If you buy this instead of an E30 touring, you need a good, solid punch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Other than the loving horrible face its not too terrible I guess...

A lot of pretty important people who make a lot of money greenlighted that poo poo, that's insane.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

SwashedBuckles posted:

New BMW styling makes me sad :smith:

The new headlights and grill ideas are awful across the whole line. Even the current gen sedans look like hondas and now they've ruined the coupes.

The only thing left to ruin is the z4.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

havelock posted:

The only thing left to ruin is the z4.
With the fastback coupe, it's the only model I think has improved over time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm OK with the new 5 series and the M5 in particular.

At least the 4 cylinder engine lineup in the 1 sounds interesting. The market needs more inline 3 RWD cars.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

With the fastback coupe, it's the only model I think has improved over time.

I'm a huge fan of the last gen coupe (I had one for awhile), but roadster vs roadster the new one is definitely better. Who knows how it will look with weird headlights and even smaller grills when it gets updated.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Other than the loving horrible face its not too terrible I guess...

A lot of pretty important people who make a lot of money greenlighted that poo poo, that's insane.

Have you ever participated in any sort of corporate meeting?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Throatwarbler posted:

So hybrids are unfairly underrated
99MPG is underrated?

edit: Holy CRAP, refresh before posting. Whoops.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

The market needs more inline 3 RWD cars.

100% agreed.

3-cylinder engines actually sound pretty good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

100% agreed.

3-cylinder engines actually sound pretty good.
Is the Suzuki Cappuccino still the only RWD longitudinally-mounted inline 3 production car? The Smart Roadster and coupe are transverse engines, and I'm struggling to name any more.

VVVV: I am that crowd, and yes, yes I do.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 5, 2011

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Oh lawd I laughed out loud at that redesigned 1 series. I hope the 25-35 crowd they're shooting for doesn't mind the ugly.
It's even more bizarre when you consider the new 5 series took a considerable step in the conservative direction, ditching the E60 lines, and then this new 1er just pulls out all the stops in the design dept.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Honestly, for a modern BMW I don't think it's that bad. If the kidneys weren't stolen from a Pontiac plant, it wouldn't look too bad. Someone should PS how it'd look with the older/normal kidneys.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I happen to like the E60 :smith:

E39 is where it's at though

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

I happen to like the E60 :smith:

E39 is where it's at though

I think they heard the critics say that the e60 was a little too much and went the polar opposite direction with completely boring for the F10.

E; Actually, I think that if they didn't follow the trend of upsizing models and that it wasn't almost the size of past 7-series and those grills it wouldn't have been half bad.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 5, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Those headlights and the face looks surprisingly similar to the A1, but lamer
h

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

heat posted:

Have you ever participated in any sort of corporate meeting?

I work at an auto OEM's corporate headquarters.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

Those headlights and the face looks surprisingly similar to the A1, but lamer
h

Whereas the back of the 1 series looks like the last gen Polo and the side profile of the A1 looks right off of a 500. Cars nowadays are just a mishmash of poo poo and all blend together. Even Citroen and Subaru almost look like everything else out there.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

travisray2004 posted:

Even Citroen and Subaru almost look like everything else out there.

It's really quite sad to see Subaru make boring looking cars now. I want ugly designs like the bugeye, blobeye, and hawkeye back. Those were great. You could never get them mixed up with another car.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

69sofine posted:

It's really quite sad to see Subaru make boring looking cars now. I want ugly designs like the bugeye, blobeye, and hawkeye back. Those were great. You could never get them mixed up with another car.

No poo poo! I wasn't really fond of the bug eyes at the time but you look back and it's actually refreshing seeing something that's at least different from the norm; granted there's poo poo-tons of them running around. The 2012 Impreza just looks like a slightly more handsome Matrix.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

travisray2004 posted:

I think they heard the critics say that the e60 was a little too much and went the polar opposite direction with completely boring for the F10.

E; Actually, I think that if they didn't follow the trend of upsizing models and that it wasn't almost the size of past 7-series and those grills it wouldn't have been half bad.

I like the E60 as well, not as much as E39 but still. In fact, I think most of Bangle's designs hold up well, despite all the criticism they got at the time. A few elements are pretty bad, admittedly, like the trunks on the E65 and especially E63, but overall I think they're quite distinctive without being offensively ugly. BMW's new direction is just all over the place and not really attractive for me.

Slothophile posted:

If you're gonna compare at least use the hatch not the saloon, since that's what this new one is.

I was having trouble finding the hatch shot from a similar angle, so just imagine it having an extra door or something ;)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slothophile posted:

Exactly. The current one is terrible looking anyway:

travisray2004 posted:

No poo poo! I wasn't really fond of the bug eyes at the time but you look back and it's actually refreshing seeing something that's at least different from the norm; granted there's poo poo-tons of them running around. The 2012 Impreza just looks like a slightly more handsome Matrix.

The bugeye Impreza just looked like a slightly more handsome Euro Corolla.

Also I'd say the current Legacy is an ugly car.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

The bugeye Impreza just looked like a slightly more handsome Euro Corolla.

Also I'd say the current Legacy is an ugly car.

I've always liked that generation of Corolla hatchbacks. Wish we got them in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The previous gen Legacy was, in my opinion, one of the the best looking midsize sedans of its day.

versus

Oh, also, FIA mixes poo poo up again:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/gt1-gt2-gt3-combined-into-new-world-gt-class/

GT1, GT2, and GT3 are going to be combined into a single "World GT" Class.

I'm assuming that this will also carry over to ALMS, etc., right?

And the current practice of highly favorable rule exceptions for BMW and other manufacturers is going to continue, right?