Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yay new episode is pretty awesome. Loved the animation in a few scenes, can't wait for this to keep moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it had some flashbacks but it was much better than last week and at least we got some Kakashi vs. Saskue. I fist pumped at the ending. Brutal cliffhanger, though. Hope this actually plays out a bit instead of just one side retreating right away. Can't wait until next week!

"Ready to GET IT ON!"

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm pretty sick of this bullshit to be perfectly frank. Yeah it was better than the last couple episodes but that's not saying much. Do we seriously have to settle for episodes where maybe half of it is new content?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corte posted:

I'm pretty sick of this bullshit to be perfectly frank. Yeah it was better than the last couple episodes but that's not saying much. Do we seriously have to settle for episodes where maybe half of it is new content?
This.

There seems to be two philosophies when it comes to not wanting to catch up to a show's manga source:
-spread out the content by going really slow and including recap clips in new episodes (what's happening now)
-go at a normal pace and have several months-long filler breaks

At this point, I think I'd prefer the second option.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The show has been doing both actually, and to be completely honest this isn't that bad. Yeah it's annoying but it could be much worse.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Naruto Filler is pretty terrible so it's a toss up between snail's pace vs new content. Never forget making ramen noodles with Rasengan's and Piss Rainbow.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
The pacing has gotten better since the Rescue Gaara and Sai/Saskue arcs, or at the very least, they've learned how to make better filler than endless sloooooow pans across the characters.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Naruto Filler is pretty terrible so it's a toss up between snail's pace vs new content. Never forget making ramen noodles with Rasengan's and Piss Rainbow.

That was awful, but also don't forget the Curry of Life filler arc. Lee gets drunk and eats curry. I want more of that.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Jaweeeblop posted:

That was awful, but also don't forget the Curry of Life filler arc. Lee gets drunk and eats curry. I want more of that.

Arcs can be quite good, it's the one-off "ugh I guess we better come up with something to do this week" stories that are terrible. The recent Tenten weapon factory one in particular was just awful in art and story and everything. Even if you ignore the fact that it focused on Tenten.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Slave posted:

Arcs can be quite good, it's the one-off "ugh I guess we better come up with something to do this week" stories that are terrible. The recent Tenten weapon factory one in particular was just awful in art and story and everything. Even if you ignore the fact that it focused on Tenten.

I think the worst one recently was 185 "Animal District". It had the boxing kangaroos that fought lee, the ant eater and carnivorous plants that kept foiling Shino and ostrich that randomly started talking halfway through the episode.

Some of the jokes were kinda funny but the plot just jumped forward randomly skipping stuff. It felt like it was written via: "Well lets do an episode about ninja animals, anyone have any ideas?" and then they took 6 or 7 of them and taped them together in no particular order and called it an episode.

Its so bad it actually starts to be pretty funny so I guess it earns a pass after all, unlike the Tenten episode.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Don't forget the episode where sasuke-kun~ had to wear cat ears. Also Can I get some Demon Wig love in this filler discussion?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Don't forget the episode where sasuke-kun~ had to wear cat ears. Also Can I get some Demon Wig love in this filler discussion?
That ninja cat episode has to be one of my favorite filler joke episodes. Absolutely love that one.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Kingtheninja posted:

The dub of that arc was like a VA reunion of Ed, Roy and Lust. It was pretty cool.

Also, the dub has reached the first few episodes after Asuma's death. I forgot how well done the opening scene (when Shikamaru tells Kurenai) to 82 was.

And those cat ears were adorable :colbert:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

you know they had a perfect excuse to show an extended fight between kakashi and sasuke but instead we got more flashbacks :negative:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^

Seems you're not alone in thinking that. This thread doesn't get a lot of traffic so I sometimes head over to NarutoForums after an episode. That's where I recently came across the below. I didn't even know anyone made stuff like this. It's fan made so it's not quite up to par with what we usually see obviously but it does get your point across about missing a great opportunity for a larger Saskue/Kakashi fight.

What do you guys think?

NarutoForums posted:

I do have to say, I enjoyed the fan animation of Sasuke vs Kakashi more than this. If the anime team did things like this then they'd be able to stretch out the episode in more ways than flashbacks, especially since the filler fight in this episode lasted ten seconds.

For those who haven't seen it I recommend watching it. Also seeing how it can't spoil anything anymore it's safe to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBP7GnHooY

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 5, 2011

genki
Nov 12, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

^^^

Seems you're not alone in thinking that. This thread doesn't get a lot of traffic so I sometimes head over to NarutoForums after an episode. That's where I recently came across the below. I didn't even know anyone made stuff like this. It's fan made so it's not quite up to par with what we usually see obviously but it does get your point across about missing a great opportunity for a larger Saskue/Kakashi fight.

What do you guys think?
I think the fans have a lot of unpaid time on their hands and the animation team probably isn't getting paid. I'm sure they'd be fine making more fight action if someone paid them to do it. You have to assume they want to focus on some other fight for the real budget.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

-Blackadder- posted:

^^^

What do you guys think?
That was pretty drat awesome. I think I'll consider that fan-made production to be how the real fight went down in my mind instead of the official version. Of course, there were a few over-the-top parts (giant firebird thing, Kakashi's clothes except for his mask burning off, Kakashi getting a hand through the chest, etc...), but it's still preferable to recaps of old footage.

EDIT: (I think everyone wanted to see a Chidori vs. Raikiri, too. I mean, aren't they pretty much the same thing?)

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2011

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

That was pretty drat good for a fan made video and much more tense than the fight in the actual anime so far.

e: Sounds like they got the terrible English voice acting spot on too.

razamataza fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 6, 2011

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

razamataza posted:

e: Sounds like they got the terrible English voice acting spot on too.

Them's fightin' words :colbert:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Holy balls the flashbacks in the last several episodes :psyduck: this poo poo is ridiculous.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It is starting to approach previous levels of poo poo-tastic. And it doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it's now really messing with my enjoyment of the actual canon material. I was pretty much there before but I now firmly support filler arcs over filler mixed in with canon stuff. I can always (and most of the time do) just skip filler arcs and find something else to do on Thursdays until they're over. But when they mix filler in with the canon material you really don't have much choice except to just sit there and take it.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know how close we are to catching up, but if they feel the need to put more distance between the show and the manga I'd much prefer another filler arc than what we're getting now. This is just too much.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

-Blackadder- posted:

I haven't read the manga so I don't know how close we are to catching up, but if they feel the need to put more distance between the show and the manga I'd much prefer another filler arc than what we're getting now. This is just too much.

This last episode was 3/4 of chapter 485 (yeah, this wasn't even a whole chapter :argh:), which came out around early march of last year, so the manga's got about 15 months on the anime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I really wish I hadn't noticed this but since Silver mentioned this week's episode only being about 3/4ths of a chapter, I realized the only non flashback material I saw from the preview for next week would be the missing 1/4th of the chapter :smithicide:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So for those of you who are reading ahead, is it looking like Naruto is gonna get wrapped up anytime soon?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Koirhor posted:

So for those of you who are reading ahead, is it looking like Naruto is gonna get wrapped up anytime soon?

hell no. They're getting into the habit of doing flash-back filler, and then stretching -THAT- out across extra pages.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'd give it about two more years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Koirhor posted:

The Madara/Sasuke/Kabuto story arc is probably going to be over in the manga in about two years. Kishimoto could probably find someway to extend it after that or he could end it. I have a feeling it ends in about 3 years but who knows. All I really want to see before the series is over is Naruto destroying a Chunnin exam by himself. But that's unlikely. He will probably just get promoted straight to Hokage or something without ever being more than a Genin.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Definitely looking forward to that Chuunin exam also, like what happened with Killua.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Four episodes of the same bullshit is my limit I think. I'm with those wishing for filler arcs over these flashbacks with a dash of canon. Guess I'll take a break for a couple months then come back and see if anything has improved.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corte posted:

Four episodes of the same bullshit is my limit I think. I'm with those wishing for filler arcs over these flashbacks with a dash of canon. Guess I'll take a break for a couple months then come back and see if anything has improved.
I wonder what Japanese Naruto fans are thinking about the current series of filler/canon eps. They're probably just as frustrated as we are. I tracked down a little bit of the manga at the same point as the anime but I couldn't get into it as much as watching the show. So much of the appeal of Naruto is in the fluid fight scenes and it lacks so much when it's just black and white stills.

Edit: although I know I should feel a little guilty about watching the fight scenes knowing that a few were traced from other sources (cowboy bebop the movie, live action Kung Fu movies, etc).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Just do what I do and read the manga and then watch the episodes of the anime that actually have fluid fight scenes. (This will be easy because those are maybe 1 in 20.)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"I'm Sasuke and I going to spew out some crazy bullshit!"
"I'm Naruto and I love you so much that I understand your crazy bullshit!"
"Noooo, you can't truly understand because you're not meeee!" :qq:

Has there ever been another Shonen character as wack as Sasuke?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, it's now really messing with my enjoyment of the actual canon material. I was pretty much there before but I now firmly support filler arcs over filler mixed in with canon stuff. I can always (and most of the time do) just skip filler arcs and find something else to do on Thursdays until they're over. But when they mix filler in with the canon material you really don't have much choice except to just sit there and take it.

So serious question, as someone who doesn't know how this kind of stuff works: is there any chance the recent tsunami would be a decent excuse for not going all out in recent episodes? I know they've been annoyingly flashback based recently (to the point that it's been ruining the otherwise great stuff in between) but at which point would an understanding between quality and the amount of money they feel be expended on new content be worth it? How far ahead of time are these episodes funded?

I mean it's still awful, and I'd much rather they take a break than do what they've been doing, but I'm sure they already have a contract they have to fill with whatever stations they're affiliated with. The Japanese game industry is having to deal with a lot of similar stuff currently because of what the disaster did to the amount of money people are willing to spend on the product along with the amount of money businesses are willing to spend on advertising since almost every sector of business there has gone above and beyond donation wise.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2011

zombiefarmer
Apr 27, 2010

Brains are part of a healthy diet.

CubanMissile posted:

"I'm Sasuke and I going to spew out some crazy bullshit!"
"I'm Naruto and I love you so much that I understand your crazy bullshit!"
"Noooo, you can't truly understand because you're not meeee!" :qq:

Has there ever been another Shonen character as wack as Sasuke?

SHUT Up I am more special then YOU.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

I may be alone but I quite enjoyed this week's episode and the flashbacks even seemed more tolerable with the revamped animation sequences.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I didn't mind it, the main stuff wasn't really interrupted by flashbacks or anything.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I am stunned that Karin seems to have accepted reality for what it is; I was convinced she was going to take Inos place in the Ino-Sakura Sasuke Stalker Rivals Society.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I guess I should be happy that Sasuke is out of the picture for a few episodes (I think?) and that next episode is apparently focusing on Killer Bee, Kisame's sword, and that other ninja village because this will eliminate the flashbacks that Naruto/Sakura/Kakashi/Sasuke have been having.

However, since Sasuke just retreats and licks his wounds, it seems like YET AGAIN we've wasted a bunch of episodes getting Naruto to Sasuke and NOTHING HAPPENS. I mean, you could argue that each time they meet, Naruto gets a little bit closer to getting through to Sasuke, but there's really no evidence of that. Had this story been tightened up a bit, this emotional breakthrough could have been covered in a single conversation, not several.

When the show is finally over in who-knows-how-many years, I'm sure I'll be happy with everything wrapped up, but being here in the middle period, it's just torture. Don't even focus on Naruto+Sasuke if you're not going to advance their plot in any significant way! Give us insight into some other characters or villages. The opening song shows tons of exciting stuff happening, but it feels like months ago when any of that happened and I'm still waiting for Naruto to be on a friggin' boat with Killer Bee (WHEN IS THAT HAPPENING?).

Arg. I'll just continue watching the filler episodes from the first series that I skipped a few years ago, because somehow they're more satisfying than the current storyline. At least they wrap up a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^Yeah, I feel your frustration.

I felt exhausted over the last few episodes, hoping and straining to squeeze as much actual canon content, out of each episode, as possible. It was like pulling teeth.

And even never having read the manga, I KNEW that in the end nothing was really going to come of the Naruto/Sasuke confrontation because Madara was going to show up and portal Sasuke out right when things were about to actually get interesting. Saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

We went through all that flashback filler just to get to what amounts to a brief conversation that we've already heard before.

Oh well. It is what it is, I guess. It's frustrating as poo poo, but I'm not going to dwell too much on it as there's really nothing to be done. I'd say I'll lay off for a while and come back after a few episodes have piled up but I probably won't have the willpower not to watch next Thursday.

• Locked thread