Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.gadgettrak.com/camerasearch/

This is a neat service. They crawl the web for serial numbers embedded in EXIF and provide a search engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300563830469&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

quote:

A MOST UNIQUE CAMERA. PERSONALLY, USED VERY LITTLE. I HAD THE EXTERIOR LEATHER REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH SNAKESKIN AT A HIGH COST BUT THE RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC. CAMERA WORKS FINE; HAS 120 FILM HOLDER INSIDE, 80/1.9 FAST MAMIYA C LENS (NOT THE 2.8 VERSION!) AND A PRISM FINDER.

:psypop:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That selection of leather is horrible, but the leather on my 645 1000s was starting to peel as well. I was considering getting something else put on, but I decided not to make it terribly gaudy :q:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

yeah but why the hell would they snakeskin the focus ring

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's called

.:*~ StYliN' ~*:.

:smug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

atomicthumbs posted:

yeah but why the hell would they snakeskin the focus ring
Because it's metal as gently caress.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

pwn posted:

Because it's metal as gently caress.

Technically, it's now snakeskin as gently caress.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
My parents just started complaining about how much money I was blowing on photography because yet another package from Amazon came (this one containing Pec Pads, a Giottos rocket blower, and a lens cleaner.)

I'll probably have to recalculate how much I blew on this hobby since last time soon...then do it all over again if/when I eventually get Canon's 70-200 F4L IS.

e:
vvv And then they'd complain about the cost if I gave them a good print! :v:

Casull fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 4, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Take a nice portrait of them and print it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

That selection of leather is horrible, but the leather on my 645 1000s was starting to peel as well. I was considering getting something else put on, but I decided not to make it terribly gaudy :q:

Weird, I have had the same thought about the peeling leather on that camera. I was thing blue lizard skin to complement my red lizard skin Rolleiflex.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Casull posted:

e:
vvv And then they'd complain about the cost if I gave them a good print! :v:

No seriously, you should do it. And if you have grandparents, make sure to get nice shots of them and your family while you can.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Weird, I have had the same thought about the peeling leather on that camera. I was thing blue lizard skin to complement my red lizard skin Rolleiflex.

Haha originally I was going to go with the red lizard :q:

e: I probably would have just replaced it with black in the end though. It's such a classy looking beast. How's it treating you?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Shmoogy posted:

No seriously, you should do it. And if you have grandparents, make sure to get nice shots of them and your family while you can.

This over and over and over. And over. I really wish I'd had the gear and interest when my grandmother was still around.

I don't know your parents, but a lot of money complaining is also a reflex; it's not actually seriously complaining but just... griping about money in general. Do some nice prints and they'll appreciate it even if they gripe.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 5, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Haha originally I was going to go with the red lizard :q:

e: I probably would have just replaced it with black in the end though. It's such a classy looking beast. How's it treating you?

It's working just fine. I need to find an excuse to use the 80mm f/1.9 more often.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I lent my 28 2.8 to a friend back in December or so; I finally managed to get it back from him a few days ago. When I thought I'd use it today, I sneezed and dropped it. It's pretty destroyed; the focusing doesn't work, the AF button popped off, and one of the flanges on the connection assembly is slightly bent. All from a three-foot drop onto concrete. Wow.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

tarepanda posted:

I lent my 28 2.8 to a friend back in December or so; I finally managed to get it back from him a few days ago. When I thought I'd use it today, I sneezed and dropped it. It's pretty destroyed; the focusing doesn't work, the AF button popped off, and one of the flanges on the connection assembly is slightly bent. All from a three-foot drop onto concrete. Wow.

Dropping your gear is the worst. I've dropped my s90 twice in the 3 month since I bought it. To Canons credit, nothing happened to it, but you still feel terrible that half-second before it hits the ground.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wish that'd happened to me. A small drop and blam, unusable lens.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tarepanda posted:

I wish that'd happened to me. A small drop and blam, unusable lens.

You need to change to more positive thinking:

A small drop and blam, shopping trip for a new toy.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It was more like "a small drop, and blam, a broken lens that I now can't sell to raise money that I really need."

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Shameless plug for Pentax:

I've dropped my three Pentax bodies on all types of terrain (concrete, rocks, snow, mud, puddles, dirt, etc) and nothing's ever happened to them (except my K10 did get a crack in the body and lost function of the AE-L button, which I never used anyway). Even a chest height fall to concrete did nothing to my K-7.

I was just traveling and on Pfeiffer beach in Big Sur, with gale force winds it was like being sand blasted. Sand broke two of my cameras (Fuji & Mamiya which I both disassembled and literally poured out the sand) but my K7 kept going without an issue.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 5, 2011

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

I don't know what compelled me to do this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fragrag posted:

I don't know what compelled me to do this

this is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

A5H posted:

Hahaha.

Pan shot...? :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

A5H posted:

Hahaha.

:xzibit: Yo dawg we heard you like panning...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm doing a lighting course at the moment and there's an older woman in my class who seems to have more money than sense. She's got a 5DMkII with a couple of L lenses and a 580EXII, and keeps dropping comments about other expensive equipment she's purchased a photo tour of Africa that she's going on later this year - but she has NO idea what she's doing with her gear whatsoever.

She barely seems to be able to operate her camera and was complaining that her flash was broken because the zoom function didn't work. She'd pulled the wide angle diffuser out when she first got it and hadn't put it back in since. She's one of those people who has to comment on everything our teacher tells us, and laughs way too much at his jokes. She's doing my head in.

/rant

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish that woman was me.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
At home in Lightroom 3, whenever I click on a picture, the Crop lines show up on the outside.

Here at work, they don't. I can't find the setting for this, is there any way to make that the default?

Also, all the time the aspect ratio is locked here at work, but at home it's not. This is driving me nuts!

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 8, 2011

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

dunkman posted:

At home in Lightroom 3, whenever I click on a picture, the Crop lines show up on the outside.

Here at work, they don't. I can't find the setting for this, is there any way to make that the default?

Also, all the time the aspect ratio is locked here at work, but at home it's not. This is driving me nuts!

There should be a little lock next to the crop tool to unlock or lock aspect ratio.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

DanTheFryingPan posted:

There should be a little lock next to the crop tool to unlock or lock aspect ratio.

I think his point is that he keeps having to click that lock on one computer, and on the other, it's set the way he wants.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Regarding the locked/unlocked problem, whenever you choose one (locked/unlocked) and hit done, the next image you crop will default to the same choice you previously made.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm at work scanning in old slides and getting Silverfast set up. I'm using a lens as a loupe to check them on a light box, and at one point I instinctively reached over, grabbed the lens, and tried to drink from it. I need more coffee and another lens mug for work.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

So there are a ton of Bay Area dorkroomers and there's often talk of doing a local meetup/shooting session. I've been talking to a couple of models, and I think I'm going to host a small clinic to introduce photographers to working with people subjects. This would be on location with experienced models and small groups of shooters.
Does this sound like something people would be interested in? I'll start a thread for it if so.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

McMadCow posted:

So there are a ton of Bay Area dorkroomers and there's often talk of doing a local meetup/shooting session. I've been talking to a couple of models, and I think I'm going to host a small clinic to introduce photographers to working with people subjects. This would be on location with experienced models and small groups of shooters.
Does this sound like something people would be interested in? I'll start a thread for it if so.

THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER! HELL YEAH BOOBIES!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like a good idea if you can keep it from being awkw--

Evilkiksass posted:

THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER! HELL YEAH BOOBIES!

:ughh:

:q:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Sounds like a good idea if you can keep it from being awkw--

:ughh:

:q:

Yeah, no boobies for a bunch of first-time neckbeards. That can be discussed for future sessions.

As far as Evilkiksass, he's my regular assistant, and he stays out of the invisible 15' circle from the boobies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was funny. Actually because it was the first thing I expected something to say :haw:

If I wasn't almost as far away as you can be from the Bay area without being on a different continent then I'd be all over this :(

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Martytoof posted:

Actually because it was the first thing I expected something to say :haw:

I'm not even "someone" anymore? SHERPAS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wh -- w -- how did I manage to mess that up? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Evilkiksass posted:

I'm not even "someone" anymore? SHERPAS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

first rule of assisting is don't think you're people.