Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Got slightly better pictures of my new dog.

She sits very upright

And is very aerodynamic

She is super fast, double coated, has no hair in her armpits, and is very protective of me.

Amending my guess to mostly Doberman x shed monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii
looks like a hound cross

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'd guess (BYB?) Doberman and some sort of hound. She might just have doberman'y colouring though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hey folks, just wondering if you could help me identify my dog's breed. We've been conjecturing forever, and probably not going to drop $600 for the definitive DNA test. More educated guesses from more knowledgeable people will hopefully help.

We've never been clear on what kind of dog she is exactly. The vet thinks she has some basenji blood (because she doesn't bark, has a hair ridge and has a curly tail), people we run into think she has some husky, but her coloring is vaguely shepard-ish. Reading some of the old-breed thread posts, I'm inclined to agree with basenji; she's alternatively hyper and aloof, not interested in fetching anything or even chasing squirrels, and is dog-aggressive (but she was also a stray in Paterson NJ before we got her).

Thanks.

2 hour mountain hike:

post 3 mile walk:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 15, 2011

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
This is the most recent (in-focus) photo of my dog Spoot. I think he was like 3 months old in this picture and several pounds lighter (he's almost 17[!!!] pounds now).

We have no idea what he is. He was part of a litter of pups from a couple of dogs abandoned on my girlfriend's family's ranch. The dad looked like a little red Chihuahua / something else mix, and people think the mom was some sort of JRT / Rat Terrier mix, but we don't know for sure.

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 15, 2011

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

red19fire posted:

post 3 mile walk:

Man, normally when people are like 'My dog is a basenji mix!' I'm all 'Psshaw' because it's so rare for that to actually be true, but drat if your dog doesn't look like an exception. Basenji/Shepherd, maybe? Or Husky/Shepherd/Something Else?

Jixamn
Sep 28, 2009
I posted my other dog, Machete, a few months back. I love him to death and now he has a sister that we love just as much ^_^. We think she's some sort of terrier mix, she looks a lot like a Patterdale Terrier. But who's to know. When we got her she was a bit malnurished and about 3-4 lbs...she's now 16...she wasn't supposed to get more than 12 but what are ya gonna do.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Jixamn, I am definitely seeing a lot of chihuahua, mostly in the puppy pictures. As for the wiry-looking fur, perhaps schnauzer? She is just precious! I bet she is a ball of spazzy energy :3:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

Man, normally when people are like 'My dog is a basenji mix!' I'm all 'Psshaw' because it's so rare for that to actually be true, but drat if your dog doesn't look like an exception. Basenji/Shepherd, maybe? Or Husky/Shepherd/Something Else?

Yes, it's the weirdest thing. She doesn't bark at all, if she gets super-excited, she does this weird whinny thing.

Followup question: How often do litters have multiple fathers? When we got Zappa, she was a stray, fresh off the streets & pregnant, like a drat after school special.

Anyway, she gave birth to 7 puppies. Two were like longhaired rottweilers, 2 were like shepards, there was a yellow one with white socks, and a matched pair of one black and one white one. We think there was a minimum of 3 different fathers. The vet said it was impossible.

Jixamn
Sep 28, 2009
She's definitely an energetic little thing, she goes absolutely insane sometimes, and is quite the little fighter, she clashes (all playing) with machete all day. As far as her being a chi, i'm not too certain. When she was real little I thought it was possible, but she's a lot more terrier looking now. Schnauzer seems like a pretty good call.

Just for some size comparison, this is how tiny she was when she was a puppy.

She does a lot of stalking like a cat, she plops down in high brush to get the jump on machete.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Got slightly better pictures of my new dog.

She sits very upright

And is very aerodynamic

She is super fast, double coated, has no hair in her armpits, and is very protective of me.

Look at that big ol' barrel chest :3: I'd guess some kind of sighthound is in her based on that.

So has anybody come up and tried to inform you that "YOUR DOG IS STARVING TO DEATH"?

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
A couple weeks ago I did something very rash...

On Thursday (Apr 28) I finally went down to the shelter to see this (she had been there almost a month):

She reminded me so much of my current dog (Quid) and I was toying around with the idea of getting a second.

I really wasn't sure that I was ready for a second dog so I opted not to adopt her and said I would "think about it." Unfortunately, my local city shelter (Memphis Animal Services) has been having problems with disease and their policy is to euthanize any animal if it sick. For example we recently experienced the great distemper holocaust of 2011. :( Anyway, on Friday (29th) at 2PM I happen to check my news feed on Facebook and see an urgent plea that she has an upper respiratory infection and needs to be out by 5... I wait until 4:30, call, and find out she is still there. Against my better judgment I run down and take her out as a foster and board her at my vet until she is well. Now I can't bear to return her to the shelter and I don't know what I'm going to do. Thankfully she (Moira) gets along with my current dog.

These dogs are making me crazy again but I just have to keep reminding myself how long it took me to get to a sane place with Quid. If I can't find her a good home, I guess I'm going to have two fuzzlemutts... :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gosh, they look like sisters almost! Definitely the same face. I wish you all the best (worst) with finding her a new home.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Have no idea what he is, Pekinese, Tibetan Spaniel, Corgi, Pom... who knows. We rescued him about 4 years ago when he was about a year old. This is DJ.

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
I figured this would be a good place to seek advice...

We took in a mutt today. A mutt that my grandparents bought about six years ago for $500 at a pet store in the mall. Yep, a "designer breed". A Peagle to be exact. They decided they couldn't take him with them to their new condo and my grandfather didn't want him to go to a shelter or magically disappear(grandmother doesn't value animals at all and has a history of dumping them off in rural areas).

So now we have Buddy. I wasn't thrilled about this, in fact I'm pissed. I don't want him here but seeing as how I'm just a bum that doesn't pay bills, I have no say in anything.

Maya, our massive mutt isn't too thrilled and neither are the cats. And my god, the cats. He chases them and whines and snarls. I have a baby gate in my doorway and I put their food, water, and litter boxes in there... But they shouldn't have to live in terror of this fat ugly ball of fury. Will he get over it and get used to them and vice versa? Will he kill my poor cats? I've been a nervous wreck all day and I can't get any rest. :smith:

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Gosh, they look like sisters almost! Definitely the same face. I wish you all the best (worst) with finding her a new home.

Well they were both found stray and have similar age estimates so I like to think they are long lost siblings. :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

RepliCarter posted:

I figured this would be a good place to seek advice...

We took in a mutt today. A mutt that my grandparents bought about six years ago for $500 at a pet store in the mall. Yep, a "designer breed". A Peagle to be exact. They decided they couldn't take him with them to their new condo and my grandfather didn't want him to go to a shelter or magically disappear(grandmother doesn't value animals at all and has a history of dumping them off in rural areas).

So now we have Buddy. I wasn't thrilled about this, in fact I'm pissed. I don't want him here but seeing as how I'm just a bum that doesn't pay bills, I have no say in anything.

Maya, our massive mutt isn't too thrilled and neither are the cats. And my god, the cats. He chases them and whines and snarls. I have a baby gate in my doorway and I put their food, water, and litter boxes in there... But they shouldn't have to live in terror of this fat ugly ball of fury. Will he get over it and get used to them and vice versa? Will he kill my poor cats? I've been a nervous wreck all day and I can't get any rest. :smith:

Basically you need to give all the animals their separate space right now. Keep the new dog separated from the cats especially. Give the cats plenty of places to hide and raised areas to escape to. With time they may acclimatize. Then again, they may not. It depends on how easily spooked your cats are, and how intent on chasing the new dog is.

You can help it along by performing some counter conditioning exercises with all the animals in relatively close proximity but still separate. Reading through some of the Training Megathread might help you out too.

Also, what the gently caress is a Peagle?

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac

a life less posted:

Basically you need to give all the animals their separate space right now. Keep the new dog separated from the cats especially. Give the cats plenty of places to hide and raised areas to escape to. With time they may acclimatize. Then again, they may not. It depends on how easily spooked your cats are, and how intent on chasing the new dog is.

You can help it along by performing some counter conditioning exercises with all the animals in relatively close proximity but still separate. Reading through some of the Training Megathread might help you out too.

Also, what the gently caress is a Peagle?

Thank you so much. :3: Gonna start reading the heck out of that thread.

Peagle is a Pekingese/Beagle mix. Ugh. My grandmother offered to give us his ~papers~. I don't think they'd serve any purpose other than kindling.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Have no idea what he is, Pekinese, Tibetan Spaniel, Corgi, Pom... who knows. We rescued him about 4 years ago when he was about a year old. This is DJ.

What a babe! He looks a helluva lot like some Pom/Peke crosses I've seen (designer breeds ugghhh) but Tibetan Spaniels are getting popular now and that could be it too. Long low body and drop ears says Peke or Tibbie to me.

A 'Peagle' sounds like it would make some hilariously ineffective barks.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Captain Foxy posted:

What a babe! He looks a helluva lot like some Pom/Peke crosses I've seen (designer breeds ugghhh) but Tibetan Spaniels are getting popular now and that could be it too. Long low body and drop ears says Peke or Tibbie to me.

A 'Peagle' sounds like it would make some hilariously ineffective barks.

Thanks for the input :) He was fostering with a friend of my mother's who runs a Corgi rescue and he was just too nice to not take home with us haha.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ridonkulous posted:

Look at the majesty of my roadside hound (?)

She has brown and black markings (obviously), with white coming through on her chest.
Literally found on the side of the road 8 months ago (no chip, no collar). The area is rural and predominately poor. When we first got her we couldn't tell if she was a hound of some sort or a rot/Doberman.
She holds her tail up and over her back when she moves and it never points out behind her, either over her or under her (when shes scared or big dogs are playing with her too rough).
her ears at 10 months are twice the size of my Chocolate Labs.

Any ideas?

Wow, my Uncle's dog looks JUST like yours! I believe it's rottie/hound.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I figured I'd throw up some of my mutts I've had, Most of them have been dogs people have brought into work, knowing that either myself, or my mom would take them in. We're suckers like that.

First is Izumi, no one's quite sure what she is. She's neurotic as all hell, has the cutest underbite, and is a great little dog.

Next are the triplets Yuki (left) Kira (Middle) Boomer (Right). They all came from the same litter.

They are husky/dachshund crosses. I'll let that sink in for a moment. Best part, the male was the dachshund. A stool must have been involved.

Nobody could ever claim Boomer looked graceful while sleeping.

Finally, our newest addition is Vinnie. Any idea what he is? Chihuahua/many toothed monster? He was tossed out of a car at our office, we found him with a greenstick fracture of his hind leg, dehydrated, and starving. He's perked up quite a bit since we got him however.

Yes, he firmly believes he is as cute as he thinks he is.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Vinnie is excessively cute!

This is Peanut the Flying Foster Dog. He's pretty obviously a chihuahua mix, but he's 12lbs and 15" tall. Also he has a mane and a curly tail.

He was scheduled to be euthed in a lovely Los Angeles County shelter when somebody in New York spotted him in a video, sitting at the back of an overcrowded kennel behind all the barking dogs.

Through the magic of Facebook and Paypal, Peanut is now in my livingroom and scheduled to fly to his new owner next week. (Also have two minpins bound for breed rescue in Minnesota, oh god, so many little dogs!) He barks a little, is nice to the cats, and stands on his hind legs and boxes with his front feet.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I daresay a black and tan shiba/chi mix?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Here's my girl Leia:

-my own hosting.

I've been told husky/gsd mix, but I just wonder what PI thinks she is?

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Not my photo, I was just lucky enough to see it in the corner while uploading to imgur and I had to share it with ya'll.

Husky/Corgi mix. I have never felt so :3: over a dog, holy crap.

GIGANTIC original image

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Scary Ned posted:

Vinnie is excessively cute!

This is Peanut the Flying Foster Dog. He's pretty obviously a chihuahua mix, but he's 12lbs and 15" tall. Also he has a mane and a curly tail.

He was scheduled to be euthed in a lovely Los Angeles County shelter when somebody in New York spotted him in a video, sitting at the back of an overcrowded kennel behind all the barking dogs.

Through the magic of Facebook and Paypal, Peanut is now in my livingroom and scheduled to fly to his new owner next week. (Also have two minpins bound for breed rescue in Minnesota, oh god, so many little dogs!) He barks a little, is nice to the cats, and stands on his hind legs and boxes with his front feet.

Except for size and the headshape he looks a lot like my 30lb mutt, Danny.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

EVG posted:

Except for size and the headshape he looks a lot like my 30lb mutt, Danny.

Ahahaha he's so gangly and dorky :3: Am I right in guessing there's some border collie in him?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Yep! He is full grown but kept the adorable gangly puppy look.

Definitely some sort of herding dog - we were thinking aussie because of the blue eye and what looks like some merling on his nose/paws. Mixed with Eskimo or some sort of spitz, is our best guess!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

EVG posted:

Yep! He is full grown but kept the adorable gangly puppy look.

Definitely some sort of herding dog - we were thinking aussie because of the blue eye and what looks like some merling on his nose/paws. Mixed with Eskimo or some sort of spitz, is our best guess!

That's not merle on his nose/paws, it's ticking. A lot of dog breeds have 'em (like Aussies). Ticking is a darkening of the fur. Merle, simply speaking, is a patchy lightening of it.

Aussie/misc Spitz is still a good guess though.

Newbsylberry
Dec 29, 2007

I Swim in drag shorts because I have a SMALL PENIS
So this is Marlo:

I tell people he is a golden retriever/husky/german shepherd mix, what do you guys think?

More Pics:

Newbsylberry fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 2, 2011

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Looks like a mighty fine Brown Dog to me.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Theres been a dog running around the neighborhood for several months now. Seems full grown and probably the greatest looking/chillest dog I've come across. I was just hoping someone would be able to give me an idea what hes made of. Seems to be about 2 feet tall that the shoulder.

Sorry these pictures are so bad.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

That's another All-American Brown Dog. Mix up enough breeds, and that's what you get. I've got one, too. I'm pretty sure there's a good amount of collie/herding breed heritage in her, but it's not worth the money to find out for sure.

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

Just got this dude from the pound, estimated 3 years old. Said Shiba Inu Mix, any ideas what you guys think? He's about 22lbs right now but came into the pound at 25.

Absolutely loving guy :3 Just comes and cuddles with me all the time, slipped out of his collar because my Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix scared him and he ran off for a sec and when I called him he came running back and sat at my feet. At first my other dog (pictured in back) didn't like him but now they are playin like the best of them. Sarge (the shiba mix) will roll on his back and let Bandit (rat terrier) jump on him and they roll around and Sarge will bat him away with his long reach, which pisses Bandit off so he charges and the cycle continues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Leather Daddy posted:

Just got this dude from the pound, estimated 3 years old. Said Shiba Inu Mix, any ideas what you guys think? He's about 22lbs right now but came into the pound at 25.

Absolutely loving guy :3 Just comes and cuddles with me all the time, slipped out of his collar because my Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix scared him and he ran off for a sec and when I called him he came running back and sat at my feet. At first my other dog (pictured in back) didn't like him but now they are playin like the best of them. Sarge (the shiba mix) will roll on his back and let Bandit (rat terrier) jump on him and they roll around and Sarge will bat him away with his long reach, which pisses Bandit off so he charges and the cycle continues.

Looks like he could be a shiba mix, but then you say he's not an rear end in a top hat. I'm confused.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

MoCookies posted:

That's another All-American Brown Dog. Mix up enough breeds, and that's what you get. I've got one, too. I'm pretty sure there's a good amount of collie/herding breed heritage in her, but it's not worth the money to find out for sure.

new breed: Dodger

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

my dog boyfriend!!! posted:

new breed: Dodger

Absotively posilutely!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

That photo totally made my day. You rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
This is my boyfriend's dog Roscoe. We figure he's some sort of terrier mix. He has a nubby tail too. We love him.
Sorry the top picture is huge.