Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Amoeba102 posted:

They seem to fall apart very easily. I swear I never had as much trouble with LEGO falling apart if you looked at it wrong. Maybe that's just the two ones I've seen, a guitar and a giraffe which both have some obvious structural weak points.

The only LEGO set I could never finish was some dumb UFO set that wouldn't stay together :( That set frustrated me so much, I wanted it to stay together but it just fell apart.

Pretty sure it was this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kazy posted:

The only LEGO set I could never finish was some dumb UFO set that wouldn't stay together :( That set frustrated me so much, I wanted it to stay together but it just fell apart.

I had http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6915-1
I do remember the round bits being extremely tempermental and unwilling to stick unless you reinforced them in 2 or three places.
Am I the only one who hated to see an uninforced brick base?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Kazy posted:

Oh yeah, that fucker was fussy, especially with the hose parts that caused their trim components to tear off the body.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I got that set. Had no problem whatsoever with it :smug:

at least for the two days it was together

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
So. Lego tattoos.

(not sure if that one's real, it looks too clean, but I love it)

Huh.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Those... certainly are lego tattoos. I really wish they were just done better; Batman is all blurry, that Star Wars arm sleeve is all wobbly, and that poor disfigured construction worker - was he in a lego construction accident? :ohdear:

I do really like that lil' crocodile though, it's the perfect shade of green!

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I made a spaceship yesterday, it's the first original thing I've made in about 13 years. I couldn't find a digital camera so all I've got are massive, kinda blurry cellphone pics:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Danthrax posted:

I made a spaceship yesterday, it's the first original thing I've made in about 13 years.

I wonder what most people make with their first original thing? I know I made tons of spaceships, and a great many bases as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For me it was always whatever the more expensive models that my mum couldn't afford were. So I would build them as best I could out of the stuff I did have. Usually these would be the bases or pirate ships

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It looks like the Level One kits from the Master Builder Academy Program have been shipping. Anyone received one and have any thoughts on it?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Danthrax posted:

I made a spaceship yesterday, it's the first original thing I've made in about 13 years. I couldn't find a digital camera so all I've got are massive, kinda blurry cellphone pics:

Hooray for Vic Vipers! I like this one.

VanSandman posted:

I wonder what most people make with their first original thing? I know I made tons of spaceships, and a great many bases as well.

I made a train as my first serious MOC.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

As a kid? Some variant of tank with random bits on and the friction-motor as a base, though I was super proud of a little blacktron spaceship. As a grown-rear end man? A motherfucking Variable Fighter. (Although my techniques were questionable and included stuffing technic pins with bits of wire to increase the friction, and sanding down plates. e: also I don't have pictures of the original, I rebuilt it for better color coherence and I got no idea where the darn thing's got to)

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
You fancy kids with your actual sets and instructions. Back when I was 6 or 7, most of my parts came from a small bucket of random bricks, with maybe a handful of small race cars and Classic Space buggies, impulse sets with 20-40 pieces. The earliest original thing I remember making was this "moon base" made of mismatched bricks on one of those big green block pieces. There was a yellow door frame and some of those smiley-face bricks in the wall. My blue space dude would go on precarious missions to adjust the laser mounted above the door. Good times.

The first thing I made as an adult wasn't much of an improvement -- a big juggernaut of SCIENCE!, slapped together from mismatched bricks and the big transparent cockpit from a Slave I. I never have been all that good at MOC's.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Does anyone know what those Heroica 'board' games are about? They look like they might be a bit like Descent or something like that.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

My parents got me this set in 1986 before any actual LEGO sets. I still remember that robot. I even put it together correctly when I was a mere four years old. I love robots.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Does anyone know what those Heroica 'board' games are about? They look like they might be a bit like Descent or something like that.

I'm looking for some official rules... found some home rules that give some idea of official rules.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56244
e:

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 4, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The first MOC I can remember is a huge aeroplane I built and tried to photograph for a contest.

I also had a town under my bed with a hospital, a church, a post office and a factory that made jet engines. For some reason there always ended up being a strike at the factory that developed into a riot, which in turn led to a response from the city's massive police force. :ussr:
The sci-fi stuff came later, as I recall.

Also I loved recreating scenes from Treasure Island (the one with Charlton Heston) with my pirate figs. :3:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm looking for some official rules... found some home rules that give some idea of official rules.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56244
e:

I actually bought one of the $20.00 sets - the Waldurk forest. The rules are very simple and the game is pretty quick. Its enjoyable, but I would probably like it more if I combined the other sets. That said, that would get very expensive.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

I actually bought one of the $20.00 sets - the Waldurk forest. The rules are very simple and the game is pretty quick. Its enjoyable, but I would probably like it more if I combined the other sets. That said, that would get very expensive.

I'm still developing some simple rules along the same concept, only with regular minifigs. The best part is, the dungeons and PCs with starting gear get to fit any theme (say, start with a pirate with a short-range cutlass and long-range flintlock, but he gets to explore a space station and pick up laser guns in his conquests).

Almost done, might just post it up without playtesting, which will be hard to gather real people to do.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Anyone else notice they changed the minifig heads?

Most of the PotC figs have the usual head with the hollow stud and the trifoil, but I bought the Space Moon Buggy and Speed Boat impulse sets, and the minifigs all have solid-stud heads (although they're the recessed type you see on technic bricks). The PotC skeleton from Isle de la Muerte is also a solid stud, as are the figs from Alien Conquest.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone else notice they changed the minifig heads?

Most of the PotC figs have the usual head with the hollow stud and the trifoil, but I bought the Space Moon Buggy and Speed Boat impulse sets, and the minifigs all have solid-stud heads (although they're the recessed type you see on technic bricks). The PotC skeleton from Isle de la Muerte is also a solid stud, as are the figs from Alien Conquest.

Huh. I would've thought hollow heads would be cheaper.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Red posted:

Huh. I would've thought hollow heads would be cheaper.
Less plastic, but a more complicated mould due to the trifoil. Maybe they get too many miscasts with the hollow studs, or maybe the mould needed replacing and they took the opportunity to redesign it.

They couldn't go back to the old style because some of the accessories (eg the guitarist's Mohawk from the series 4 figures) use the recess. So a solid, recessed stud makes sense.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

It's weird that they would change it to solid-if-recessed though, since they added the holes so kids didn't choke.
e: Miscasting due to complexity is also very unlikely

quote:

Q: What happens to all the bad pieces? Is there a Lego heaven? Do they recycle them?
A: Due to the precision of the brick molding machines, there are very few “bad” pieces—only 18 elements in every million produced fail to meet the company’s high standards. Extra pieces or pieces from boxes that are caught on the line and identified as missing pieces or have boxes that are slightly damaged are used for donation boxes that are distributed to underprivileged children’s organizations around the world.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 5, 2011

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm still developing some simple rules along the same concept, only with regular minifigs.
I'm sure a lot of people are. I already use minifigs for D&D characters, though I'm a bit short of suitable models for monsters.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of Heroquest or Warhammer Quest with Lego rooms and corridors in place of the card sections. Make walls just one or two plates high (except in feature rooms) so the majority can be stored flat, then I can just build a room whenever I think of something and leave them assembled.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

I'm sure a lot of people are. I already use minifigs for D&D characters, though I'm a bit short of suitable models for monsters.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of Heroquest or Warhammer Quest with Lego rooms and corridors in place of the card sections. Make walls just one or two plates high (except in feature rooms) so the majority can be stored flat, then I can just build a room whenever I think of something and leave them assembled.

I like the "room" approach to dungeons. I tried the Heroica model at first, narrow pathways connecting scenery, but didn't like how wide-open and floating-in-the-void it looked. Tried more elaborate rooms next but they were too built up and used too many pieces so the whole dungeon couldn't be very big.

Should I go class-based for characters? It might be a bit hard to standardize that from theme to theme, so I was taking a starting-weapons-determine-class approach.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Saint Sputnik posted:

Should I go class-based for characters? It might be a bit hard to standardize that from theme to theme, so I was taking a starting-weapons-determine-class approach.

I'm going with character cards that are basically archetypes - Barbarian, Wizard, Elf and so on. Each has a starting weapon, a range of weapon types they can use, and two simple special abilities. I'm not tying the special abilities to the weapons the way Heroica does, though magic weapons might add an extra special ability.

The 'character sheet' is a more complex version of the Heroica one - a plate with 1x1 round plates (or cones, really depends what I have enough of) to mark wounds, and jumper plates on which to store treasure.

If I were planning on a range of themes, I might make the weapon categories and special abilities more generic, but the format isn't too tied to the fantasy theme. If you can find a way to get hold of it, you might want to look at the original version of the Talisman board game, which started off as fantasy but then added expansions with different themes without breaking the system.

Dame Cook fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 5, 2011

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

I'm going with character cards that are basically archetypes - Barbarian, Wizard, Elf and so on.

So, character classes that could be applied to any theme - not like a Blacktron Elf, but more along the lines of weapon restrictions.
*Only a magic user can equip wands and staves
*Only a big weapons expert can use muskets and laser cannons
*Only a swordsman can duel-wield sabers or katanas
etc.
Alternatively, no restriction, but someone adept gets a damage bonus.

Don't want to get much more complex than that for my own purposes, and even these restrictions would be optional in my ruleset. Not very experienced with tabletop RPGs anyway (though that hasn't stopped me from trying to make them since I was a kid).

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Saint Sputnik posted:

So, character classes that could be applied to any theme - not like a Blacktron Elf, but more along the lines of weapon restrictions.
*Only a magic user can equip wands and staves
*Only a big weapons expert can use muskets and laser cannons
*Only a swordsman can duel-wield sabers or katanas
etc.
Alternatively, no restriction, but someone adept gets a damage bonus.
Along those lines, yes. In my case, dual-wield would be one of the Elf's special abilities, and the ability to use any weapon would be one of the Fighter's. Other special abilities include Teleport for the wizard (move straight to any previously-explored section) and Invisibility for the Ninja (enter a new section to check it out without provoking combat).

Very few of the abilities would affect the actual mechanics of combat, the idea is to keep that as basic as possible.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

When I was a kid, we had a little rule about when LEGO guys fought; you put a weapon in their hand, but then you had to hold the minifig by the body, and hit the weapons against each other. Whoever dropped their weapon first lost. Pretty fun, actually. It's a little too simplistic for an RPG, but it's something to think about.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

Other special abilities include Teleport for the wizard (move straight to any previously-explored section) and Invisibility for the Ninja (enter a new section to check it out without provoking combat).

Those are great, I never gave special abilities any thought till now.

I was thinking collectible minifig bases for spaces, for the purposes of movement and combat range. They're a bit oddly shaped, being 3x4, but most people have a lot of them.

And armor/weapon values will be extremely simple: +1 damage reduction for any hat, chest armor or shield (ignoring whatever armor is actually printed on your guy's torso), and 1 damage for long-range weapons (guns/magic), 2 for medium-range and 3 for short-range. Less damage at longer range also simulates/eliminates the need to roll for accuracy.

e: And a limit on carrying/equipping capacity of course, so you can't start the game kitted out to the nines.

Pagan posted:

When I was a kid, we had a little rule about when LEGO guys fought; you put a weapon in their hand, but then you had to hold the minifig by the body, and hit the weapons against each other. Whoever dropped their weapon first lost.

Sounds like we have you to thank for Spinjitsu.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 5, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sherway Gardens trip report!

Nice store, friendly staff who left me to my devices digging through the Series 3 Minifig bin trying to get a replacement Gorilla Suit Guy. No such luck in that regard, it was really hard to make out the stupid bump patterns, so I just said "Forget it" and only got a large Pick-A-Brick canister and blue baseplate. The displays they have of the custom built stuff are pretty cool, and they have a bunch of the Maersk ship and some of the other large sets too.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I believe I have an extra gorilla series 3 figure I'd be willing to part with.

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll
I've never done a serious MOC before, but I'm motivated to build a shuttle crawler for the lego shuttle: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10213&LangId=2057.

Can anyone give me tips on how to start designing and accumulating pieces for a serious project?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

sc0ticus posted:

I've never done a serious MOC before, but I'm motivated to build a shuttle crawler for the lego shuttle: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10213&LangId=2057.

Can anyone give me tips on how to start designing and accumulating pieces for a serious project?

First off, you need to figure out how big it's going to be. That shuttle's pretty sizable, so you'll need a sizable crawler to keep in scale.
Get Lego Digital Designer and unlock Extended Mode, and start blocking it out. You're going to need a lot of gray (well, 'bley' as it's known these days) and a lot of tracks.
Start off simple--just get an external design, then start figuring out the internals and greebles. If you're going for full functionality (motorized treads, moving bits) or realistic detail, the internal work is going to be a lot harder. The crawler's just a box, so if you're just going for appearance, it's gonna be a pretty easy build.
If you already have a good supply of bricks, start building it for real, rainbow style.
Once you've got an idea of what you want the final product to look like, start ordering off bricklink, unless you need a -lot- of one particular piece in one particular color, then you can try asking at the Lego store about buying a PAB shipping box.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just saw this on Lego Facebook:

Holy poo poo I have to rip off that Star Wars hospital ship. Anyone know where they've seen one made before?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
This should help

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=786448

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Here's a schematic as well: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/EF76_Nebulon-B_escort_frigate

Nebulon B's were a lot more than hospital ships - in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games they launched shitloads of bombers.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Oh god, what's wrong with me? I just won this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pyroclastic posted:

Oh god, what's wrong with me? I just won this.

I still have one of those from when I was a kid. One of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nada Mucho
Aug 5, 2004
It's so hard to think of something witty yet cool...

Chris Knight posted:

Sherway Gardens trip report!

Pick-a-brick is fun.. But I have to offer this critique:

You left a ton of air space in there, the bricks aren't even locked together and for goodness sake you haven't even crammed the cap full of 1x1 pieces.

If you're not 'sperging for an hour cramming pieces into the cup and doing graduate level geometry to make the most fit, you're just not being the lego nerd you could be.