Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The question quickly becomes: Do the ComGuard manage to kill one enemy mech before being wiped out? The Kintaro is the only mech that is mostly combat capable.

The Elementals have been downright brutal in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Two CTR hits and a head in two turns? Goddamn PTN, your dice are murderous. I feel sorry for you guys, you're not getting much of the battletech experience.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

raverrn posted:

Two CTR hits and a head in two turns? Goddamn PTN, your dice are murderous. I feel sorry for you guys, you're not getting much of the battletech experience.

Living and dying by the dice is the BattleTech experience.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

To emphasize that I just played a game on Saturday with friends using mini rules and some modifications. The elite unit for the enemy force, a WHM-6L with a 2/3 pilot, was lost after he failed a piloting roll in depth 1 water due to damage. The damage in question? The complete removal of his center torso armor.

And all four hovercraft died to skirt destruction, one sinking into a river and the other three tumbling end over end at high speeds, taking out a building in the process.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Quick note on Elementals: With the swarm tables, Elementals only hit the head on a roll of 2 or a 12. They hit the rear center torso on a roll of 3 or 11. While they are still awesome, they are not nearly as unstoppable as this battle has them looking.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I was really hoping for an XL engine on that Guillotine. That would have been nice.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

and the Clan space marine stubbornly clinging to his cockpit wasn’t helping matters.

:aaaaa:

It may not end up the official designation the IS use for Elementals in this timeline, but that my crazy Chinaman logic made enough sense to have one of the ComGuard pilots use it is good enough for me.

Plus, they're certainly wrecking poo poo like Space Marines this mission, goddamn. Good job taking a few of them with you, guys. It's really the best you could hope for in this part of the mission.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

KnoxZone posted:

Quick note on Elementals: With the swarm tables, Elementals only hit the head on a roll of 2 or a 12. They hit the rear center torso on a roll of 3 or 11. While they are still awesome, they are not nearly as unstoppable as this battle has them looking.

Yeah. In vaccum like this you can figure 1/6 of swarm attacks would lead to immediate kills. The odds of getting 3 in a row are like 1 in 250 or so. Just real, real bad luck.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I have some questions about the update, Poptarts:

In the combat log for I3 Wyvern, you list damage done to the units of ?1 (like, "hit Trooper 4 (7/10+1 armor remains ..."

But in the later logs, you always list troopers as (/10+1 armor remains). So I'm wondering if that's an omission in the later logs, or if you intended to not show us damage done in the Wyvern log.

Most of them died anyway so I guess I forgot to report.. the one trooper left 'alive' has two armor and himself left. Yes, the Kintaro kicked the Elementals.

Leperflesh posted:

Finally, C1 took over 20 damage... but is falling over impossible due to loving magnets, so there's no need for the piloting roll?

Yes, falling over is pretty much impossible unless you run, so I stopped reporting it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This battle demonstrates two things:

One, in a game where you can focus fire on a target that takes more than one or two hits to bring down, it's probably a good idea to do so. Splitting fire just means it takes longer to take one of the targets out of the battle and that means there's more people attacking at you over a longer period of time. This is also good to know when playing RTSes or any tactical RPG. The Battletech vets probably all already knew this, and PTN is probably refraining from focusing fire intentionally just to give the Goonlance a fighting chance in any given mission.

Two, Elementals. :black101:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's not so much that people don't know the importance of focused fire, it's probably a matter of simple communications hurdles. Six people who don't know each other getting into contact through a mixture of PMs and emails in a one-day period isn't the best way to establish who's going to take charge and what they're going to do.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

PTN is probably refraining from focusing fire intentionally just to give the Goonlance a fighting chance in any given mission.

Also, Clanners. :downsgun:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The vacuum is doing a lot of the elementals' job for them. Normally just piercing the armor, which is what the elementals have been mostly doing, doesn't instakill a mech.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sair posted:

I was really hoping for an XL engine on that Guillotine. That would have been nice.

I thought only IS XL engines extended into the side torsos? Or do clan XLs just do it less?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dolash posted:

It's not so much that people don't know the importance of focused fire, it's probably a matter of simple communications hurdles. Six people who don't know each other getting into contact through a mixture of PMs and emails in a one-day period isn't the best way to establish who's going to take charge and what they're going to do.

Mech communications that work (reliably) in space are lostech. That's my story.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I thought only IS XL engines extended into the side torsos? Or do clan XLs just do it less?

Clan XLs take up two crit spots in each side torso. Not enough to kill a mech (unlike the IS XL which has 3 crits in each side), but enough to give it some problems.

Clan XL Engines might be the biggest advantage the Clans have over the Inner Sphere.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Man, this mission is just rushing by. I remember the good old days of waiting three days to find out somebody kicked a warehouse or punched a gullible clanite.

Kind of sucks for you guys, but makes for a gripping story.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, this is shaping up to the shortest game yet.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy poo poo the Comguard are getting rocked.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DTurtle posted:

Hmm, seeing as the swarming attack apparently does as many hits as two die - does it matter how many of the unit are still alive? I.e. will a swarming attack by ?1 Infantry? do as much damage as by the other ones?

A swarming attack does damage based on the weapons the elementals are carrying (in this case, a small laser (3 damage)) multiplied by the number of active troopers (five elementals), so the Elementals did 15 damage to the Clint's head; but ?1 can only do 3 damage if it launches a swarm attack.

Leg attacks have a different scale, but ?1 is pretty hosed at this point.

Zaodai posted:

:aaaaa:

It may not end up the official designation the IS use for Elementals in this timeline, but that my crazy Chinaman logic made enough sense to have one of the ComGuard pilots use it is good enough for me.

Plus, they're certainly wrecking poo poo like Space Marines this mission, goddamn. Good job taking a few of them with you, guys. It's really the best you could hope for in this part of the mission.

No, see--these are actually Space Marines. That's pretty much the official designation for an Elemental of "lower quality" who's shunted into service protecting a Warship. They exist to board and counter-board, and they have pretty much nothing to do with their time but fight each other and train. This will probably be the only reall battle (and real chance to die gloriously and get written into the Rememberance) these Elementals will ever get.

They're not just hungry for victory, they're starved for it. I'm honestly regretting not simply taking a full star of them and leaving the 'Mechs at home.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

ActionZero posted:

Holy poo poo the Comguard are getting rocked.

Yeah. At this rate, just one of those Points of Elementals would have been more than sufficient. Three is just :a2m:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I dunno, the Mechs were kind of effective for getting the Elementals into position and providing the illusion of normalcy for the first turn or two. A whole star of Elementals would still wipe out the ComGuard mechs, but it wouldn't have provided quite as shocking an introduction for Elementals to the players.

Also, is that "second line Elementals are boarding party only" thing a change in your timeline? I seem to recall boarding missions in the canon timeline being fairly high prestige as long as you were boarding military vessels, if only because you're attacking a target of immense value in an overly dangerous environment (and when they're fighting inside, it's ostensibly at the enemy's advantage).

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

A swarming attack does damage based on the weapons the elementals are carrying (in this case, a small laser (3 damage)) multiplied by the number of active troopers (five elementals), so the Elementals did 15 damage to the Clint's head; but ?1 can only do 3 damage if it launches a swarm attack.

Given the performance we've been seeing out of them, guys with chainswords and bolters should be green with envy.

quote:

No, see--these are actually Space Marines. That's pretty much the official designation for an Elemental of "lower quality" who's shunted into service protecting a Warship. They exist to board and counter-board, and they have pretty much nothing to do with their time but fight each other and train. This will probably be the only real battle (and real chance to die gloriously and get written into the Remembrance) these Elementals will ever get.

They're not just hungry for victory, they're starved for it. I'm honestly regretting not simply taking a full star of them and leaving the 'Mechs at home.

These guys are just pants-shittingly terrifying. And yeah, a full Star of them could've probably done better than the 'mechs.

Maybe they'll turn on their own 'mechs, Marik Rules style? That's about the only way I see the Goonswarm pulling off a victory.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have to say even though it really sucks for the players to get rocked in such a fashion this has been a very very effective way to introduce the Elementals. I actually think a full star wouldn't have gotten their nightmarish viciousness over as well.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I seem to recall boarding missions in the canon timeline being fairly high prestige as long as you were boarding military vessels, if only because you're attacking a target of immense value in an overly dangerous environment (and when they're fighting inside, it's ostensibly at the enemy's advantage).

Yeah, but I would imagine that guys who normally get to do that are out on the front lines invading the Inner Sphere, shocked that there aren't any warships out there. I was under the impression that this is essentially a garrison force, and by all standards, this encounter is a loving desirable assignment if Cairn had to get through two other Point Commanders to get it.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 6, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Octatonic posted:

Yeah, but I would imagine that guys who normally get to do that are out on the front lines invading the Inner Sphere, shocked that there aren't any warships out there. I was under the impression that this is essentially a garrison force, and by all means standards, this encounter is a loving desirable assignment if Cairn had to get through two other Point Commanders to get it.

It's also so desirable he slew the other Point Commanders even, that's how badly he wanted it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Also, is that "second line Elementals are boarding party only" thing a change in your timeline? I seem to recall boarding missions in the canon timeline being fairly high prestige as long as you were boarding military vessels, if only because you're attacking a target of immense value in an overly dangerous environment (and when they're fighting inside, it's ostensibly at the enemy's advantage).

Ah, but see, that's the rub. If you're carrying a line unit (and honestly, when aren't you), the poor second-line elementals get to sit on their battle claws and hope that all of the front-liners die so they'll get a crack at it.

Octatonic posted:

this encounter is a loving desirable assignment if Cairn had to get through two other Point Commanders to get it.

Extremely desireable. Desireable enough that I promise Cairn isn't dead unrecoverable. He might only lose an eye.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

These guys are just pants-shittingly terrifying.

Speak for yourself; I, for one, am unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the damage they're capable of doing and what they've already pulled off. But let's face it; one of the main reasons they're doing so well is because this is the exact kind of scenario Elementals were meant to shine in. The conditions are optimized for them to swarm from surprise and their ability to focus damage on parts and cause a breach due to lack of atmosphere makes them far more deadly than if we were fighting on the surface of a planet.

The fact of the matter is no matter what you face in a game of BattleTech, your pilots risk the destruction of their mechs, or even death. If I were afraid of either of those things, I would never have signed up for a chance to be a pilot. I'm no more terrified of these tiny men than I am of getting headshotted by a lucky ER-PPC shot. Clantech is bullshit no matter which way you slice it, and I refuse to be scared of bullshit. Pissed off at it, perhaps, but not scared of it.

I'm not pleased with how things have turned out so far, but I refuse to back down now. So bring on the tiny men. If they desire a glorious death in battle, I shall be more than happy to accommodate them. :black101:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

So bring on the tiny men.

(Yeah I know it doesn't quite work but the only other covers I could think of were for Lethal Heritage and Test of Vengeance and they don't really work either)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

The funny thing is that in most games, it's the leg attack that you're usually worried about. In this scenario though, swarm attacks are absolutely murderous.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Dolash posted:

Most people have Steam... why not just use that and create a group? Post your plans and if a majority of the group agrees, use that plan. Use a scriblink too so that you can all see how it'll play out. Of course, it seems like some people wouldn't work together regardless so maybe it's moot.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Angry_Ed posted:

It's a good thing PTN finally threw in some Elementals, because Clan mechs aren't so scary once you see the pilots.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, but see, that's the rub. If you're carrying a line unit (and honestly, when aren't you), the poor second-line elementals get to sit on their battle claws and hope that all of the front-liners die so they'll get a crack at it.

Extremely desireable. Desireable enough that I promise Cairn isn't dead unrecoverable. He might only lose an eye.

Well, it's also the difference between Dead and 'Dead for game purposes'. Mech Headshots are technically survivable too if you get help soon enough. Unless you're voided to the vacuum of space, of course.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

It's a good thing PTN finally threw in some Elementals, because Clan mechs aren't so scary once you see the pilots.

:barf: You would not wear a leather flight jacket in a Battlemech. You would die. Also, with no neurohelmet, you're just going to fall flat on your rear end the moment you try to take a step.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TildeATH posted:

That's a 4chan kobold.

Who drew a 4chan kobold piloting a mech?

edit: Other pertinent question, who drew a 4chan kobold with cleavage?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

:barf: You would not wear a leather flight jacket in a Battlemech. You would die. Also, with no neurohelmet, you're just going to fall flat on your rear end the moment you try to take a step.

Space Genetic Engineering.

I like, though, that those are the only issues you have with it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Katreus posted:

Most people have Steam... why not just use that and create a group? Post your plans and if a majority of the group agrees, use that plan. Use a scriblink too so that you can all see how it'll play out. Of course, it seems like some people wouldn't work together regardless so maybe it's moot.

Most people had irc and pm's too, still didn't make things 100% smooth!

And what fun would this be if everything went 100% according to plan, anyways. That would be boring.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

I like, though, that those are the only issues you have with it.

Well, most clanners are in better shape, too; but I can let that slide. It's not like running has ever saved a Mechwarrior's life or anything (hint: yes it has).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not if you're in a Mech Commander game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TildeATH posted:

What the hell am I looking at here.

• Locked thread