Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

WeWereSchizo posted:

Hood does not like Forkrul Assail.

Hood's balls are probably the most worshiped thing in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Togg's balls disagree.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Togg's balls disagree.
Togg's teats and Fener's balls come up a lot. Not Togg's balls. It's like you haven't even read the entire series 6 times.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

WeWereSchizo posted:

Hood does not like Forkrul Assail.

TCG Spoilers: Hood may not like the Forkrul Assail, but he sure loves how they taste.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Finally finished TCG, was good. Memories of Ice is still probably my favorite in the series, I think it was helped by having a more narrow focus.

What I'd really like to read is a book focusing on the First Empire and the D'ivers like Ryllandaras and Dessimbelackis. Ryllandaras was one of the best parts of RotCG, so getting more on him would be great, mainly to learn how he split into both a wolf-man and the jackals pack as two separate entities.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
When does Midnight Tides take place in relation to the rest of the series?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Levitate posted:

When does Midnight Tides take place in relation to the rest of the series?
Slightly before Gardens, timewise.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ok, for some reason I originally thought it was supposed to be a long time before all of that, but then it started not making sense if that's when it was

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
The prologue is way before everything else, and because the entire book is new characters that can make placing the rest of it confusing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well, and they're talking about Holds instead of Houses and stuff like that and the impression you get from earlier books is that Holds were kind of the primitive version of Houses and all of that, and they talked about Holds all the time until Iron Bars suddenly shows up and you're like "wait, he knows about "modern" magic and poo poo how could that be the case if this took place a long time ago"

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Levitate posted:

Well, and they're talking about Holds instead of Houses and stuff like that and the impression you get from earlier books is that Holds were kind of the primitive version of Houses and all of that, and they talked about Holds all the time until Iron Bars suddenly shows up and you're like "wait, he knows about "modern" magic and poo poo how could that be the case if this took place a long time ago"

Up until we start looking in on the Malazan world, that entire continent has been pretty much totally isolated from the others for a long time. Plus there is some funky magic poo poo going down anyway, which gets explained later. It's not set in the past, it's just kept pretty primitive thanks to isolation / other factors.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The magic system never really makes any sense, don't worry about it. People (a whole lot of people, if you look at it) can just whimsy themselves up giant gold flames and whatnot and you just have to deal with it.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
I think its intended for the reader to make it at least partway through Midnight Tides under the assumption that it takes place in the distant past. When we meet Trull Sengar he's imprisoned in that thing that makes it so time doesn't pass for him, and it seems like he's been there for a very long time. That and they're only using all the old magic, like Feather Witch uses tiles instead of the Deck of Dragons.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Levitate posted:

The answer is right at the prologue.

Gotos just iced the entire continent and everything just got frozen in time.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yeah I think it's very natural to feel that Midnight Tides takes place in way, way in the past until the halfway through the book when it's indirectly explained to you. I feel like whenever someone asks that question you should just answer keep reading.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I think its intended for the reader to make it at least partway through Midnight Tides under the assumption that it takes place in the distant past. When we meet Trull Sengar he's imprisoned in that thing that makes it so time doesn't pass for him, and it seems like he's been there for a very long time. That and they're only using all the old magic, like Feather Witch uses tiles instead of the Deck of Dragons.

I thought this was just because that continent is backwater. They're still using that magic when the Malazans are sieging Letheras, where Beak makes his sacrifice for everyone.

Regardless, we still don't know the timeline for sure, but it's safe to say Rhulad was established for a few years at the least, since Karsa is the one who destroys him and his companion is a regular human female who hasn't aged all that much, it's probably a span of a decade or less that the sword is taken by Rhulad until the Tehol's take over

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

I thought this was just because that continent is backwater.

We get a hint that this is the case as the book goes on, and its confirmed for us by the time the Malazans make their way to Lether and all the humans from Midnight Tides are still alive.

I'm just saying that its not obvious at all on a first read through, and further, I think that's intentional.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Y'know, Gothos is kind of a dick.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

angerbeet posted:

But he does have a really cool garden.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

angerbeet posted:

Gothos is the best. Minor TCG spoiler: I was disappointed that he didn't figure into DoD/TCG at all, especially since he seems to be connected to the Azath just like Shadowthrone and Cotillion.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Just starting book 7 of TCG, and I'd like to say that despite not caring too much about the whole Tiste Andii/Mother Dark/Shake business and not really understanding it all, Yedan Derryg is legendary.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

bigmcgaffney posted:

Just starting book 7 of TCG, and I'd like to say that Yedan Derryg is legendary.

Yeah. I really liked how the pinnacle of ancient magic weapons doesn't just give +2 to hit but instead turns the wielder into an all but unstoppable threshing machine.

Also kinda makes you :aaa: when Shadowthrone (TCG) gives Silchas a Hust sword.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

LtSmash posted:

Yeah. I really liked how the pinnacle of ancient magic weapons doesn't just give +2 to hit but instead turns the wielder into an all but unstoppable threshing machine.

Also kinda makes you :aaa: when Shadowthrone (TCG) gives Silchas a Hust sword.

It wasn't just the sword. I mean, we know that historically there was an army of Hust-blade wielders. The fact that he's The Watch also has something to do with it I'd imagine.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
just finished book six. Great series killing me how long they are though started reading them a little over 2 months ago I think.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Masonity posted:

It wasn't just the sword. I mean, we know that historically there was an army of Hust-blade wielders. The fact that he's The Watch also has something to do with it I'd imagine.
It's like Dragnipur or Vengeance/Grief. The sword itself has power, but it goes to a whole new level when it's in the hand of the right wielder. And god drat that son of a bitch is awesome.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

So Forkrul Assail are like gigantic assholes that everyone hates huh

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
They're basically the incarnation of the phrase 'I am justice'.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!
They're basically what Republicans wish they could be.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Got to the part with Gesler and Stormy at the Spire with the dogs... :( One of the saddest parts of the series so far I think.

edit: And then follows it up with Tool and Hetan and Toc... Erikson you bastard, why do you do this to me

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 7, 2011

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Just started Gardens of the Moon yesterday and it took a while to get used to the style. Every time it would abruptly change years I was completely lost and felt like putting it down for a while. For example, when you first meet Tattersail and it's describing the aftermath of a battle all I could think was "Who the gently caress are these dead people and why am I even supposed to care. What the gently caress battle just happened and why the gently caress are they siegeing this city" then ten pages later everything was explained! After powering through my frustrations with being lost for the first 10% of the book, the plot has really started rolling and I can't put it down.

Why hadn't I heard of this series sooner?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Masonity posted:

Hell yeah, nice avatar. :D

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
only semi-related but there's a reference to the Black Company series by Glen Cook in the Witcher 2, a medic/surgeon called Croaker in the field hospital in the Kaedweni camp in chapter 2. gave me a chuckle. :3:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

the periodic fable posted:

only semi-related but there's a reference to the Black Company series by Glen Cook in the Witcher 2, a medic/surgeon called Croaker in the field hospital in the Kaedweni camp in chapter 2. gave me a chuckle. :3:

Why are you spoilering something unrelated to malazan?

So I'm still on book 2 of my reread before I planned to tackle tCG...and I got stuck because the series is so drat long I don't have time to read 10,000 pages right now, but I don't want to start tCG until I finish.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Many people who read this series have read the Chronicles of the Black Company and maybe they want to discover it for themselves. Is it a big deal for you?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

WeWereSchizo posted:

It's like Dragnipur or Vengeance/Grief. The sword itself has power, but it goes to a whole new level when it's in the hand of the right wielder. And god drat that son of a bitch is awesome.

Comparing a Hust blade to those weapons is a bit like saying TNT is a little like a nuclear warhead. Sure they both make things go boom...

the periodic fable posted:

Many people who read this series have read the Chronicles of the Black Company and maybe they want to discover it for themselves. Is it a big deal for you?

I wouldn't say that his name is a huge spoiler? He's the narrator of the first series isn't he? That's a little like saying "GOTM Spoiler: The wax witch talking to the fisher girl gets killed by a soldier!

edit: Actually It's far worse. It's like saying GOTM spoiler: There's a Captain named Whiskeyjack, and he leads the bridgeburners.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I don't think you read my post correctly.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Well I just finished the M'ala'zan Bo'ok of th'e F'all'en series.

It was a good long epic, mostly filler but some very cool characters and events buried in there. I just wish he had focused on the cool things and left the boring stuff out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm only on book six but to me the filler has been world building stuff that's mostly interesting and makes me actually curious about the world and what's going on, rather than just being a series of events without any bigger vision of the world they happen in.

But I also don't mind a lot of WoT's filler so maybe I just like world building

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Masonity posted:

Comparing a Hust blade to those weapons is a bit like saying TNT is a little like a nuclear warhead. Sure they both make things go boom...

I wouldn't say that his name is a huge spoiler? He's the narrator of the first series isn't he? That's a little like saying "GOTM Spoiler: The wax witch talking to the fisher girl gets killed by a soldier!

edit: Actually It's far worse. It's like saying GOTM spoiler: There's a Captain named Whiskeyjack, and he leads the bridgeburners.

I think he's saying that the homage is super cool, so if you want to preserve the "oh poo poo! rad!" moment when you see it he spoilered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Levitate posted:

I'm only on book six

Let us know how you feel when you're done with it all. I personally feel that the series starts to get weaker with Reaper's Gale.