Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I guess I'm looking for a replacement aux fan plug for my E36.

I have a 1997 328i, but I think the fan was used on a number of models. My plug has a loose connection and the fan only works if I pull down on the connector. I've tried conductive grease to no avail.

Squeeze the connectors slightly with some small needle nose pliers that you can slip between the insulator and female end of the connector (if that's what's in there, I'm not familiar with the connector in particular).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

RapeWhistle posted:

hypothetical questions...

If I were to find a clean gray 2000 740i with reasonable mileage and in decent mechanical shape for $8000, should I:

1. buy it?
2. sell my 2005 a4?
3. supercharge the e38?
4. dd it?

So yeah, I saw one with a for-sale sign on it in a parking lot yesterday. The only external flaw I could see was light curb rash on the passenger-side wheels.

I REALLLLLLY like the way these cars look. I assume these are pretty expensive to maintain, but I'm willing and able to do most of it myself.

When I go look at it with the owner, is there anything special I should look for that could be totally f'd on this model?

Price is still a little too high.... 7 series are just basket cases waiting to happen. Though the prospect of a super charged m62 sounds fun. I always thought this car is begging for a LS1-or what ever flavor of the day is.... with a bad m62 that is.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Price is still a little too high.... 7 series are just basket cases waiting to happen. Though the prospect of a super charged m62 sounds fun. I always thought this car is begging for a LS1-or what ever flavor of the day is.... with a bad m62 that is.

Welp, just talked to the guy and it has 153k on the clock. He explained the history of the car with me and it sounds like he has maintained it meticulously, he has records and receipts. I think I might do this if everything checks out mechanically.

Is there anyone else who would like to chime in and talk me out of this?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
7 series = auto right?

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

^^ there hasn't been a man tran 7 series since 2001, and even then, I've never actually SEEN or heard of a manual trans in a 7 series of any era (although they do exist, somewhere).

On the top of page 212 I asked about what I really *need* to replace in order to get my m42 head in working order. It was recommended that I replace the valve retainers. Is there any reason why? Sure, they don't seem to cost very much, but what does replacing them actually accomplish? In other words, why can't I reuse the retainers I took off?

On another note, I discovered that at least one of the valves which I have removed so far is subtlety bent (first cylinder, exhaust valve). It's cool if I only replace the bent valve(s), right? Thanks everyone for walking me through this.

Pimpsolo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 6, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Actually, because this is Automotive Insanity, go for it.

http://www.e38.org/

Nice place to find information about the E38. Do it, put on a black suit, get a British accent and a small semi auto gun. Ask for your martinis shaken, not stirred.

It doesn't seem like theres lots of 7 series owners around here.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

revmoo posted:

7 series = auto right?

Yeah, that is the biggest negative of this car. The owner did have a rebuilt(auto) transmission installed in it a few years ago. Surely there's some way to match up a manual transmission to it.

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 6, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

RapeWhistle posted:

Yeah, that is the biggest negative of this car. The owner did have a rebuilt(auto) transmission installed in it a few years ago. Surely there's some way to match up a manual transmission to it.

The 540i 6 speed would probably bolt up, but I have heard many horror stories about 6 speed swaps in 540s.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

The 540i 6 speed would probably bolt up, but I have heard many horror stories about 6 speed swaps in 540s.

Like what? It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Those ZF 5 speeds are actually pretty nice. Only auto trans I've ever driven that I really don't mind.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RapeWhistle posted:

Why do you think an auto box is a negative in a car like the 7? It might be the best of the luxo barges from a drivers perspective but make no mistake about it, its still a huge heavy car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IIRC the biggest problem with the 7 series is all the electronic gizmos inside breaking, the drivetrain and such is pretty solid. If you're not a drug dealer or 70 years old though I think you'd probably be better off with a E39 or something though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Squeeze the connectors slightly with some small needle nose pliers that you can slip between the insulator and female end of the connector (if that's what's in there, I'm not familiar with the connector in particular).

Problem is the sockets are way the hell in there and I haven't been able to get in there with anything.

I found someone willing to ship me the plug with wires attached for $12 shipped. Kind of high for a used plug but since I can't find one at a junkyard around here and I don't want to solder the wires directly to the terminals it appears to be my only choice.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

dissss posted:

Why do you think an auto box is a negative in a car like the 7? It might be the best of the luxo barges from a drivers perspective but make no mistake about it, its still a huge heavy car.

I just like manual transmissions more. Are you saying that really heavy cars don't drive well with a manual?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

I just like manual transmissions more. Are you saying that really heavy cars don't drive well with a manual?

I think he's saying that luxobarges don't lend themselves to the kind of fun a manual transmission is typically desired for.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

I think he's saying that luxobarges don't lend themselves to the kind of fun a manual transmission is typically desired for.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I would still prefer a manual, but I wouldn't spring for something like that unless the auto needed replacement or rebuilding.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Motronic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmToVCkuf_8&feature=related

Looks mighty fun to me! Maybe more fun than a tiny car with an automatic.

I think the argument usually goes "if you're looking for something luxurious, you 'don't care about driving,' in fact, you'd want to be as far removed from feeling like you're driving as possible."

The problem I see with either of these arguments is that I think I'd prefer a manual in any car ever and I can't really think of any exceptions...

It keeps me more occupied, less likely to talk on a cell phone or do some other distracting things. I'm subtly less bored. I pay more attention to driving. Less expensive to fix. It also just plain *looks right* to see a shifter in a car. Also, whether it's good practice or not, I like to sit in neutral at stop lights, rather than keep my foot on the brakes.

Why, in car chase scenes in most movies do they always cut to the driver's hand shifting gears? Because it's *coool*. And especially with a v12, I can't imagine at WOT, it wouldn't be just as, if not more :cool:

These are all factors that aren't related to any actual performance or "fun" benefits, which I think, in street driving are reduced to about 1-5% total driving time, even in, say, a Lotus (as opposed to a "luxobarge").

You're typically on straight roads, in traffic, at stop lights, and even when you take turns, you may do so aggressively if no one is in front of you, and you happen to have a green light, but did your manual gear selection really make that turn *that much more fun*? It may?

I don't think that's why I drive manual tranny cars though. I think I mostly drive them because its cool to shift gears, and that entertains me to no end, even alone on an empty, straight road.

:coal:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/05/bmw-spills-all-the-beans-on-new-1-series/

Looks like the new 1er is going in a pretty new direction. Not sure what to think of the new big-snout sharp-angle-eye fascia being slapped onto such a small car. I don't think it looks bad, but it is far from love at first sight. Like most of BMWs designs, it'll probably grow on me.

My biggest gripes are probably the cheap-looking rear end, and that the whole car kind of looks like it's trying to be an X1/X3 instead of a hot hatch.

At least they got rid of the sagging door line of the E81.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 6, 2011

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guinness posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/05/bmw-spills-all-the-beans-on-new-1-series/

Looks like the new 1er is going in a pretty new direction. Not sure what to think of the new big-snout sharp-angle-eye fascia being slapped onto such a small car. I don't think it looks bad, but it is far from love at first sight. Like most of BMWs designs, it'll probably grow on me.

My biggest gripes are probably the cheap-looking rear end, and that the whole car kind of looks like it's trying to be an X1/X3 instead of a hot hatch.

At least they got rid of the sagging door line of the E81.

Like it a lot, especially the short front overhang. Didn't like the shape of the flattened nose on the red car, though on the blue it looked alright:

Not sure if they're different shapes between the Sport and Urban models or if it's just a color/light thing.

E: it's the color of the grills themselves -- the continuation of the flattening line on the silver grille looks better to me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I agree, the blue one's kidneys look a lot better in all silver. The front end I do actually kind of like, and it's already starting to grow on me. I also really like the short overhangs. It's just the rear that kills me. It just looks like a really cheap, bland car from the back. I blame the tail lights, but there's more to it than that and I just can't put my finger on it.

I'm still more excited about the upcoming F30 3-series, however. Supposedly BMW is also going to shorten the overhangs on the F30 even more than the E90, and I'm hoping it really makes for an aggressive/sporty looking car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2011

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sterndotstern posted:

Like it a lot, especially the short front overhang. Didn't like the shape of the flattened nose on the red car, though on the blue it looked alright:

:saddowns:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looks horrid in pictures. May actually look ok in person.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My wife said it looks like a cross-eyed fish.

It certainly is... er... not sure if I can put it nicely... blunt.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I keep thinking VW Golf/Rabbit when I see the back view, thanks to the skinny tires. It needs bigger wheels. The narrow wheels make it look like one of those tiny Chinese 2 seater econocars.

I mean there are uglier cars on the road than this thing, and lots of them, but it's not really an attractive vehicle.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

??

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

SO, can I put the old 1 series bumpers on this, thus eliminating the saggy door line, and squinty Southpark Hitler front to make one decent looking car? (and I suppose, one super terrible looking car.)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The M-Sport package looks to drastically improve things on the F20.

Still looks like babby's first X3 though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It looks loving awful. While I don't like BMWs current design language, the existing 1/3/5/7 looked ok. That front is just offensively bad, like they put an SUV front end on a car.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Not impressed with the new looks on the F20. I'll keep my E82 thx :D

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Eh, if they made a variant that wasn't a hatch, I might like it better.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I hear it got better, but to whoever designed the '94 e36 fuel filter - I want to punch you in the leg. It's awful to reach and the hose clamps are byzantine. After a day of trying, I'm about to give $60 to someone else so i don't have to cut up my arm any worse. Eff you in the goat-A, I say. Whoever the hell decided to do this with a normal Inspection II maintenance item, they need a beatin'.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

televiper posted:

I hear it got better, but to whoever designed the '94 e36 fuel filter - I want to punch you in the leg. It's awful to reach and the hose clamps are byzantine. After a day of trying, I'm about to give $60 to someone else so i don't have to cut up my arm any worse. Eff you in the goat-A, I say. Whoever the hell decided to do this with a normal Inspection II maintenance item, they need a beatin'.

Where is it on the 94? On my 98 it's under some awful rusted cover below the driver seat, and I don't see how you could remove it when a hardline prevents you opening the fuel line clamp. What the gently caress happened to the early e30 style that was just in the engine bay with a hose clamp? Those were incredibly easy to change.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

RapeWhistle posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. I would still prefer a manual, but I wouldn't spring for something like that unless the auto needed replacement or rebuilding.

The ZF is a good transmission for the most part. Just neglect like anything in these cars causes them to fail.

So when are you going to buy it?

Also, I take it most of the people here just have 5's and 3's in this thread.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

hawaiian_robot posted:

Had a look at the car this afternoon, and it seemed to check out and was very nice, the guy and his family obviously love BMWs, there was an X5 and an E36 in the driveway, along with the the reason he's selling - an E34 535is. He's also going to throw in some E39 16" wheels as well, they apparently need a 1 mm spacer if they're to go on the E34, but I'll probably just sell them.

Someone please talk me out of it, i'm meant to be moving house soon and shouldn't spend money on cars dammit :(

So I've been wrestling with this decision - the engine sounded nice and smooth, everything checked out (though I'll probably want to get a PPI done), the only thing that's bugging me is the 290,000 km (~180,000 mi) on the odometer. Do any of you guys know anything about how reliable the M20 is at this mileage? I'm just really worried I'll end up with a lemon, but that's a concern with any used car to be honest.

EDIT: Bugger it, if I'm fretting and stressing about possible repair bills this much, that should tell me something.

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 7, 2011

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Where is it on the 94? On my 98 it's under some awful rusted cover below the driver seat, and I don't see how you could remove it when a hardline prevents you opening the fuel line clamp. What the gently caress happened to the early e30 style that was just in the engine bay with a hose clamp? Those were incredibly easy to change.

It's above the control arm, obscured by the oil pan, to the left of the engine when you're under the car and your feet are towards the bumper. You can't see the top hose clamp from underneath and you can't reach it from above without risking breaking some line-keepers for god only knows what (ask me how I know). The clamps are secured with some wacky-rear end security-head screws kept under plastic caps that require pliers to remove.

After spending a while trying to figure out how to get at the top clamp, I thought, "oh man..maybe they made it so that you can un-bolt the bracket that holds in the filter and there'll be enough slack in the top line that you can bring it down and replace it in-line, how smart would THAT be?" But no, not enough slack in the top line.

I even managed to break the fog light bracket because I didn't notice where my knee was when I tried to straighten out the Wal-Mart plastic ramp and it required a little force. FML. Or FThisCar. or something.

televiper fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 7, 2011

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FIRST TIME posted:

BTW, should my car be chiming if I leave the lights on? The best answer I could come up with is that some E34s have a luxery LKM that will do that and some have the basic LKM that only gives you a visual warning on the dash.

I'm in Europe, so not sure if you have the same stuff over there, but here's how it goes:

"Basic" LKM: Either no alert, or an alert if the instrument cluster has the feature built in.
"Luxury" LKM: Always alert regardless of instrument cluster version, and the LKM can also check your lights while they're cold, i.e. not in use. For example, I got a message about my fog light bulb being busted, even though I never turn them on.

Both options will give the "Lights On?" warning in the instrument display AND a chime. If you're not getting a chime, your chime module is probably busted. It's fastened on the plastic trim right above where you have your feet/pedals.

CornHolio posted:

I guess I'm looking for a replacement aux fan plug for my E36.

I have a 1997 328i, but I think the fan was used on a number of models. My plug has a loose connection and the fan only works if I pull down on the connector. I've tried conductive grease to no avail.

I'd like to find a replacement plug, preferably with some length of wire still attached, so I can cut mine off and splice the new one in. Is anybody parting out a car that has this plug, or does anybody know where I might be able to order just the plug?

Pictures of my plug:

None of the local junkyards have any BMWs newer than E28 for some reason, though I'll keep checking.

You can buy those original plus from BMW. You can also buy the water-tight wires that go into them, they'll come with around 20cm of wire on them, on which you can crimp/extend your own wire. They're a bit expensive, but if you can't find anything at a junk yard, it's worth it. You really need water tight plugs and wires out there.

If you look close, you can actually read the original part number right there on the plug - (6113)1 378 412. Sorry, the English version is down atm.

Then you need to buy some matching watertight pins for it.

Me? I have two huge boxes with an entire wiring loom from a 535 on my attic that I go and snatch plugs and wires from now and then. :)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Oh, I saw something funny the other day while changing my airbag ring. Behind the air, on the steering wheel, there's this black plastic ring with a warning message printed in four different languages. Check out the English version:

"vaulty" :D

"v" is pronounced "f" in German, so some poor translator put an unerasable spelling mistake on millions of BMWs. :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pilsner posted:

"vaulty" :D

"v" is pronounced "f" in German, so some poor translator put an unerasable spelling mistake on millions of BMWs. :(

No, it's vaulty. If it goes off you vault backwards over seat in shock. See?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The ZF is a good transmission for the most part. Just neglect like anything in these cars causes them to fail.

So when are you going to buy it?

Also, I take it most of the people here just have 5's and 3's in this thread.

Going to look at it today after work. Got rained out yesterday.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
For anyone who is curious, swapping the z3 1.9L steering rack is loving awesome. 2.7 turns ltl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

I've never had a BMW but I've decided I want one. I've been watching craigslist and ebay waiting for a good ZHP in my area (Oregon) but they seem to mostly be in the south and east coast.

Anyway, this isn't a ZHP but it's a good looking car at, I think, a fair price. It's a 2006 325i with 104,000 miles, black on black, he's asking $14,400. Carfax came back with an accident from the first owner but it has no details and the current owner claims to have not known about it nor is he able to detect where an accident might have occurred on the car.

I'm across the state from the car so I can't look at it personally but I'll have an independent inspection done before I move forward.

Does anyone think the accident on the report is a big problem?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2424681377.html