Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Would it be terribly prudent to just upgrade to an Evo and then return it when the Evo 3D comes out?

I am so sick and loving tired of pulling the battery out of my phone when I want to use it, or simply deciding as often as possible against using my phone (if I Odin back to stock). This Epic is truly a piece of trash I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Its a risk and you would be out $35 at most Sprint stores. After last year I am betting that any stores (mine included) that did the "get this now and we will exchange" charade will be very hesitant to do it again. Not saying they won't do an exchange, but they won't be merciful about the 30 days.

sirbeefalot posted:

Any idea of what the timing might be for this? My boss was interested in up to 6 lines total, his and his wife's mine and my girlfriend's, and two more in the not-too-distant future for his kids. I was under the impression that the 5 line limit was pretty set in stone, so he'll be pleased to know that's not necessarily the case.

I have no idea, and to clarify the family plan is still limited to 5. So if you have 7 family members and get the 10 line availability, members 6 and 7 have to go on a different plan. So the 5 line family plan limit IS set in stone, but having more than 5 lines on the account is not necessarily set.

Edit: so I just paid all my Sprint bills, i have one for my self (indirect employee line) and one for my fiance (she is splitting a Everything Data Plan 1500 between 2 of our friends, so 3 people total, 25% discount, 3 Evos). I pay $40 a month after tax for my Evo (I have insurance). When you divide everything up for her, with insurance she only pays $62 a month. So sure it could be cheaper, but anyone claiming Sprint is getting too expensive is off their rocker. That's still just crazy how close her plan is price wise to mine, and it kinda pisses me off on my plan...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The USB power port on my Evo broke. Again. This is the 2nd phone in less than a year that this has happened to me. I don't have insurance, and the last time Sprint charged me $50 to replace it. I'm not sure at this point to go through Sprint, or attempt to go through HTC. I'm not even sure if I should bother replacing this thing every 6 months when it breaks. Does Sprint even offer a decent non-4G Android phone? I've used 4G maybe 3 times, because I'm limited to where I can use it, and it's really not that impressive to pay $10 a month for.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FogHelmut posted:

The USB power port on my Evo broke. Again. This is the 2nd phone in less than a year that this has happened to me. I don't have insurance, and the last time Sprint charged me $50 to replace it. I'm not sure at this point to go through Sprint, or attempt to go through HTC. I'm not even sure if I should bother replacing this thing every 6 months when it breaks. Does Sprint even offer a decent non-4G Android phone? I've used 4G maybe 3 times, because I'm limited to where I can use it, and it's really not that impressive to pay $10 a month for.

Sprint now requires the $10 fee for all smart phones, unless you are on a SERO account.

Currently the EVO is one of the best phones on sprint, and will be until the EVO 3D comes out in a couple weeks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Sprint now requires the $10 fee for all smart phones, unless you are on a SERO account.

Currently the EVO is one of the best phones on sprint, and will be until the EVO 3D comes out in a couple weeks.

But I got off of SERO because they said they would never offer Android phones. And then they did a month later. :negative:

vvvvvvvv - Even though there are literally thousands of posts about the usb port on the internet, Sprint and HTC both seem to be doing very well at telling people there's poo poo they can do about it and to pay up.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 5, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I had a friend tell me yesterday that Knoxville has had 4g coverage for 3 months now. I had no idea because I been running MIUI during that time which doesn't have 4G. I am surprised that I had no idea we had 4G here. I don't want to leave MIUI, but I would like to blaze some 4g sometime.

Edit: That USB port for the EVO cost me one phone already (Sprint made me use TEP and it cost me $100), and I am paranoid it will happen again. It should be free to fix now because HTC hosed up on that.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 5, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I had a friend tell me yesterday that Knoxville has had 4g coverage for 3 months now. I had no idea because I been running MIUI during that time which doesn't have 4G. I am surprised that I had no idea we had 4G here. I don't want to leave MIUI, but I would like to blaze some 4g sometime.

Edit: That USB port for the EVO cost me one phone already (Sprint made me use TEP and it cost me $100), and I am paranoid it will happen again. It should be free to fix now because HTC hosed up on that.

I'll ask my Knoxville store and get back to you, last I checked Sprint got 4G rolling in Nashville, got it halfway through Memphis, and then Clearwire had their finance woes, so Memphis wasn't official and since Knoxville was set to be after that, Knoxville didn't have much beyond placeholders.

FogHelmut posted:

But I got off of SERO because they said they would never offer Android phones. And then they did a month later. :negative:

vvvvvvvv - Even though there are literally thousands of posts about the usb port on the internet, Sprint and HTC both seem to be doing very well at telling people there's poo poo they can do about it and to pay up.

The USB port on the Evo is a known issue, can't tell you much more than that but if they give you problems call the retention number listed in the OP.

Digital Ebola
Jun 1, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you haven't upgraded your Evo to 2.3.3 yet, don't.

Crap update that will break your netflix, issue perpetual phantom voicemail notifications and eat your candy.

Kicking myself for not rooting when I had the chance.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS
Edit: accidental repost

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

SLOSifl posted:

In the web version of Google Voice, check the device options and there should be a text related setting in there.

I see the following:

"Send a test message to..." under Voicemail
"Forward text messages to my email" under Text Forwarding

I can get texts if they are sent from the web client, but I do not get texts sent from friends to my GV number. I am guessing they're taking their sweet rear end time, and the 3 days really did mean 71 hours 59 minutes, just like "up to 24 hours" really meant 23h 59m.

But I don't see any setting to force it to go to my native app. But at this point, that isn't a big deal. Was just hoping texting to my phone would be working by now :( Oh well.

EDIT: I found the setting. Let's see if this works.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 6, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MrMoose posted:

I see the following:

"Send a test message to..." under Voicemail
"Forward text messages to my email" under Text Forwarding
Under Phones -> Your phone:

Text Settings:
[X] Receive text messages on this phone (mobile phones only)

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

SLOSifl posted:

Under Phones -> Your phone:

Text Settings:
[X] Receive text messages on this phone (mobile phones only)

Yeah, found that setting. Still not getting texts at all. :/ Hoping I start getting them by tomorrow afternoon, or I'll just have to port this number over as my main line :/ Thinking it is the 3 day thing at this point, since the texts also aren't showing up in the web client (unless i message myself from the web client, then I get the text fine).

How long did it take for you to start receiving texts?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

*Checks to see if the 3d's been released yet, sighs, spins around and walks out door*

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

*Checks to see if the 3d's been released yet, sighs, spins around and walks out door*

24th is what the leaked Radio Shack ad said. Jesus I am going to wait for the Nexus 3 so the wait for the EVO 3D is nothing at all.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Curious about the international capabilities of the Motorola XPRT that was just released toady. Is it like the old Touch Pro 2 where you could pop in almost any old sim card when travelling abroad for service?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Launch date official for June 24th for the 3D, there you have it people.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/htc-evo-3d-launches-on-june-24th-for-200-joined-by-evo-view-4g/

Also, the view 4g is loving expensive.

Edit: ok, at least the view comes with the pen tech. Plans for the tablet start at $35 a month, 3gb 3g cap, unlimited 4g. Month to month that wouldn't be too too bad.

general chaos posted:

Curious about the international capabilities of the Motorola XPRT that was just released toady. Is it like the old Touch Pro 2 where you could pop in almost any old sim card when travelling abroad for service?

The Bold comes unlocked, so either the Xprt will or sprint will offer to unlock it for free.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 6, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

View looks lovely, don't care about online customers getting the 3d on the 21st anyways because I have to do it in person at my school's sprint store if I want to get the discount.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

3gb 3g cap, unlimited 4g
Phones still have unlimited (non-roaming) 3G, right? The cap is just for mobile broadband, and I guess tablets? Which also makes me wonder if they cap 3G on phones that pay for the mobile hotspot feature...

For what it's worth, Sprint also tweeted (god I feel stupid for saying that) that Premier customers can buy the EVO 3D online 3 days earlier than everybody else:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1931

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

View looks lovely, don't care about online customers getting the 3d on the 21st anyways because I have to do it in person at my school's sprint store if I want to get the discount.

That's for Premier customers, not just general online orders. They will send you an email if you qualify to order early.

Sprint employees: Can I use a Sprint gift card for an online order?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint employees: Can I use a Sprint gift card for an online order?

Seconding this. The early availability online is making me rethink preordering in store, but if I can use the card online then why not? That way I'll have a fallback if I'm not eligible for early ordering.

Also, is it going to be ALL premier customers, or just the 5 people with Premier Gold? :ohdear:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So how are we suppose to go about getting this on the 21st? Can we preorder it online now? Is the 21st the day it will arrive or the day it ships? So many questions.

Glad I didn't pre-order in store, though. That $50 is non-refundable and now I can get it cheaper/easier/faster online.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Seconding this. The early availability online is making me rethink preordering in store, but if I can use the card online then why not? That way I'll have a fallback if I'm not eligible for early ordering.

Also, is it going to be ALL premier customers, or just the 5 people with Premier Gold? :ohdear:

I think a lot more then 5 people have premier gold. Aren't the requirements pretty easy? Basically just spending x amount for 6 months?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How does the gift card work? I'm assuming it screws you over rather than benefits you. That is, if i preorder in a store, I can't then use the $50 gift card to offset the price of the phone, right? I'd have to drop the $50 on accessories that I don't want or whatever?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

How does the gift card work? I'm assuming it screws you over rather than benefits you. That is, if i preorder in a store, I can't then use the $50 gift card to offset the price of the phone, right? I'd have to drop the $50 on accessories that I don't want or whatever?

The $50 is applied to the phone. It's like a down payment. The phone will be -$50 when you pick it up. So like $250 ($300 - $50, the $100 rebate comes after, which is why it's being marketed as $200)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think a lot more then 5 people have premier gold. Aren't the requirements pretty easy? Basically just spending x amount for 6 months?

No, Premier Gold now requires a lot more. Either 10 years of service or the most expensive plan they offer.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

No, Premier Gold now requires a lot more. Either 10 years of service or the most expensive plan they offer.

Yea, I was looking it up quite literally as you were writing the response. I thought it was a lot less.

Oh well, sign me up for the 10+ years club. Been with them since 1998.

Edit: Ahh, took this from the press release: "Additionally, Sprint Premier customers will have the opportunity to purchase HTC EVO 3D online three days before the national launch, while supplies last. Qualifying customers will receive an email on June 21, or they can log on to their account at https://www.sprint.com on June 21, click "show me my rewards" and then "Sprint Premier Community" for more information."

So you just wait until the 21st and hope you get that email or have it activated on your account. Kind of lovely because if you order it on the 21st, you won't have it until the 24th anyway.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 6, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ShowTime posted:

So you just wait until the 21st and hope you get that email or have it activated on your account. Kind of lovely because if you order it on the 21st, you won't have it until the 24th anyway.
Don't online orders normally show up next day? Even if you don't get it until the 24th, though, I guess it still saves you from having to deal with the store crowds and waits. I know I was at the Sprint store for hours the day of the EVO launch.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

brc64 posted:

Phones still have unlimited (non-roaming) 3G, right? The cap is just for mobile broadband, and I guess tablets? Which also makes me wonder if they cap 3G on phones that pay for the mobile hotspot feature...

For what it's worth, Sprint also tweeted (god I feel stupid for saying that) that Premier customers can buy the EVO 3D online 3 days earlier than everybody else:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1931

I could have sworn I read in the TOS that 4g is really unlimited, but 3g is capped at 5gb a month. But now that I go and read it again I cant find that anymore, maybe they changed it.

Edit: In the fine print at the EPRP site it says, "Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming.", but the actual TOS just says, "We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance". Crazy vague, maybe one of these people who works for sprint can clarify.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2011

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

Don't online orders normally show up next day? Even if you don't get it until the 24th, though, I guess it still saves you from having to deal with the store crowds and waits. I know I was at the Sprint store for hours the day of the EVO launch.

Used to. Last 2 phones i've ordered online haven't arrived for a few days. But yes, months ago when you ordered ANYTHING from Sprint it was sent next-day air and arrived without fail.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

McPhearson posted:

I could have sworn I read in the TOS that 4g is really unlimited, but 3g is capped at 5gb a month. But now that I go and read it again I cant find that anymore, maybe they changed it.

Edit: In the fine print at the EPRP site it says, "Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming.", but the actual TOS just says, "We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance". Crazy vague, maybe one of these people who works for sprint can clarify.

I specifically remember it being stated that the premium data fee comes with unlimited 3G back when they first started requiring it, but things could have changed since then. Since Sprint is airing commercials that say "unlimited means unlimited" or whatever, though, hearing about data caps seems a little odd.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I emailed ecare to beg for a one time extension of the annual device upgrade I initially setup my plan for. I heard ecare gives good results, so I let people in the thread know how it turns out since I know many others are in the same boat as myself.

If I do get the upgrade reinstated, I don't know if I am going to burn it on the Evo 3d though. If the Nexus 3 really does show up in the December/January timeframe, that may be worth the wait.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Are rebates still instant?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Man I wish the HTC Arrive wasn't $200. :( My Touch Pro is now officially broken and I don't think it's worth repairing once more.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

McPhearson posted:

Not a sprint rep or anything, but from what I gather, 5gb is a hard cap for laptop cards and whatnot, but strictly cell plans aren't hard capped. That's written into the fine print so they can boot you if you go insane with data, but I've read reports of users with several gigs of roaming data per month who never got one complaint about it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are the smartphones on the EPRP an extra $10 a month on top of the $59.99?

edit: Evo's are backordered 7-10 business days. :negative: How will I charge my phone for 7-10 business days?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 6, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Are rebates still instant?

For the time being.

Bad news: instant rebates end on the 23rd.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mahoning posted:

For the time being.

Man, glad i'm a premier. Hopefully I can score one on the 21st and still get the instant rebate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mahoning posted:

For the time being.

Does this also go for Best Buy?

I preordered there, but live right near a mailbox and can always drop mail off at work. I just don't like waiting.

e: vv :laugh: That's that downy-rear end square clamshell.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 6, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha my brother broke his phone and had to use the only other sprint phone in the house....

A purple lotus

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 6, 2011

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Getting that one time extension on the yearly upgrade for silver premiere customers really was as easy as emailing from the Sprint site. Now I have an option come Evo3D time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Does this also go for Best Buy?
Best Buy Mobile doesn't do (mail-in) rebates, they're always of the instant variety. That's one of their perks over purchasing from Sprint or whomever directly.