Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
That reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day. The application of the force in sex seems like it would be a big deal to me. Affecting the mind, which is such a huge part of sex, levitation loving, crazy stamina. And don't even call me sick; sex aids/products/pills sell and are a huge part of every world economy that will allow it. Is there any canon force-assisted sex? It's honestly the first thing I'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day. The application of the force in sex seems like it would be a big deal to me. Affecting the mind, which is such a huge part of sex, levitation loving, crazy stamina. And don't even call me sick; sex aids/products/pills sell and are a huge part of every world economy that will allow it. Is there any canon force-assisted sex? It's honestly the first thing I'd do.

I dunno, but any Jedi should be able to use the Force for contraception and conception. Block/guide sperm and ova at will. But if you're right, Han is a very lucky man.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yep.

Well that was loving stupid and I hate Star Wars forever.
But I meant using the Force to chop the veggies up into pieces.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine that the prequels are about a petty society of warrior monks that were once great and noble but eventually became corrupt and abusive. It was also about a simpler time where people's actions could not move outside of a 30x30 span of lime green space.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

As long as they remember the first tenet of the Jedi way:

No attachments: Hit it and quit it.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
For any one that does not keep up with the SW ToR Thread in the MMO forum the newest trailer is out.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/return?sourceid=eag3006

And if this some how does not get you hyped up then I feel bad for you. Not it is silly at times.

The novel for deceived also was not to bad despite some really over the top uses of the force, I can not wait till the one for Reven comes out.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Flavor Bear posted:

A Jedi wouldn't use anything to prepare food, except the Force.
He would sit cross-legged in a circle of ingredients, close his eyes so all the space carrots and Tatooine tomatoes and Coruscant cucumbers and regular onions would float up,then he'd grimace real hard and the vegetables would all split into bite-sized pieces, then line up single file and stream into his salad bowl.

How do ice cream makers fit into all of this?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

that awful man posted:

How do ice cream makers fit into all of this?

Use Force Freeze on some water and put it in a durasteel bowl then use Force Rocksalt on it, then in a Madalorian iron bowl churn the blue milk with Force Churn.

If it's electric, just plug it into a Gonk.

Wait, this is also an actual thing?

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 7, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
On a related note, didn't the Ice Cream Maker man get his whole backstory super fleshed out thanks to the EU?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it THE sarlacc pit, or A sarlacc pit? Like, is there only one?

bango skank fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 7, 2011

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

bango skank posted:

Is it THE sarlacc pit, or A sarlacc pit? Like, is there only one?

I thought there was only one, and it could use the force to communicate with it's victims.
And Bobba Fett totally escaped.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

bango skank posted:

Is it THE sarlaac pit, or A sarlaac pit? Like, is there only one?

There's a bunch of sarlaccs. They, according to Wookieepedia, these awful, 30-metre long, carnivorous plant-animal hybrids that live below the surface of Tattooine and will eat anything that isn't a droid, Hutt, or Boba Fett.

:flashfact: The famed one in the movie is the Pit of the Great Carkoon

I also find it odd that the battle droids in The Clone Wars are the comic relief. They are designed to be psychological weapons, resembling the skeletons of the Neimoidians that commissioned them from the Techno Union. The theory went that you'd be a lot more likely to pay your debts to the Trade Federation if an army of walking, talking, colour-coded, vehicle driving, fearless and unquestioningly loyal skeletons with four expressionless eyes and monotone, mechanical voices, all marching in perfect unison and programmed to kill "persuaded" you to do so.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sunshine89 posted:

I also find it odd that the battle droids in The Clone Wars are the comic relief. They are designed to be psychological weapons, resembling the skeletons of the Neimoidians that commissioned them from the Techno Union. The theory went that you'd be a lot more likely to pay your debts to the Trade Federation if an army of walking, talking, colour-coded, vehicle driving, fearless and unquestioningly loyal skeletons with four expressionless eyes and monotone, mechanical voices, all marching in perfect unison and programmed to kill "persuaded" you to do so.

I think it's pretty obvious the droids were always comic relief to Lucas, and all the "skeleton" stuff is EU retconning from fans that feel like they have to be apologists.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On a related note, didn't the Ice Cream Maker man get his whole backstory super fleshed out thanks to the EU?

Yep. They used him in the CCG, and then they sort of built a story around the character. The ice cream maker was, in fact, a computer core containing data about Rebellion agents, and I think he was part of the group that ended up retaking Cloud City from the Empire. They released a Willrow Hood action figure a few years back, cementing his place in the canon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kazmeyer posted:

Yep. They used him in the CCG, and then they sort of built a story around the character. The ice cream maker was, in fact, a computer core containing data about Rebellion agents, and I think he was part of the group that ended up retaking Cloud City from the Empire. They released a Willrow Hood action figure a few years back, cementing his place in the canon.

...my God, I can't even tell if you're joking.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ This is the EU. He isn't joking. :smith: ^^

Sunshine89 posted:

I also find it odd that the battle droids in The Clone Wars are the comic relief.
This is what I thought as well. They almost got them right in TPM; monotone, uniform, threatening, usefull against anything not Jedi, but they got completely destroyed in everything they've been in since.

Whoever decided that 'Roger Roger' needed to be their catchphrase should be shot repeatedly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

At some point Vader probably choked a dude who didn't look at all unhappy about it...

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunshine89 posted:

There's a bunch of sarlaccs. They, according to Wookieepedia, these awful, 30-metre long, carnivorous plant-animal hybrids that live below the surface of Tattooine and will eat anything that isn't a droid, Hutt, or Boba Fett.

:flashfact: The famed one in the movie is the Pit of the Great Carkoon
Yeah, I posted that from my phone and looked it up on wookieepedia when I got home. I'm glad they marked the location of Boba Fett's eventual escape on the cutaway diagram of the giant living potato dungeon.

Sunshine89 posted:

I haven't watched the show really, but I've caught bits here and there before Adult Swim, and while it really bothers me how useless and bumbling the droids are in the show, I can accept it as being part of a kid's show. The one thing I cant get over though, is why the droids need to talk to eachother. It makes sense when droids have to communicate with humanoids, but why do robots need to vocalize orders and information back and forth? Why can't they send it wirelessly in a fraction of the time? They've already got foot long antennae on their backs. At least don't have them use common or whatever the language is, give them some sort of beeping language like astromech droids use.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sunshine89 posted:

The theory went that you'd be a lot more likely to pay your debts to the Trade Federation if an army of walking, talking, colour-coded, vehicle driving, fearless and unquestioningly loyal skeletons with four expressionless eyes and monotone, mechanical voices, all marching in perfect unison and programmed to kill "persuaded" you to do so.

It's not a bad theory, but let's take a look at what the Trade Federation ended up with, and what was good or bad about what they ended up with. The droids are

-walking. Yep, the droids sure could walk. Nothing wrong there.
-talking. Apart from the fact that verbal communication is kind of dumb if the droids could communicate with each other by other means and the communication with non-droid superiors only needs to include, like, four sentences, I question the psychology behind making droids be able to express concepts like "Uh-oh" and "Aaaaah run", which they do frequently.
-color-coded. What for? They are droids, do they need to rely on visual cues to "see" what rank any specific droid is?
-vehicle-driving. As with the walking, the droids capabilities to drive vehicles is impeccable. Unless there is a giant cartoon rabbit crotching itself on the gun of their space tank.
-fearless. Nope. The droids have to be the most cowardly henchmen I have seen. They may stumble towards a vastly superior foe, but they do so passive-aggressively, not really trying to hit anything or doing any real harm, probably because their fear short-circuits their targeting programs. And they will let everyone know about it.

So, in short the Trade Federation should go the the Lawyers Guild and sue the gently caress out of the Techno Union.

Also, does the Techno Union listen to Techno? Because gently caress them all the more if they do.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 7, 2011

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Powered Descent posted:

...my God, I can't even tell if you're joking.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

http://amzn.com/B004MNOXOA

Deadly serious. Apparently, it took fans four years to convince Hasbro that no, they weren't joking, and they really wanted a Willrow Hood figure.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 7, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Derek Dominoe posted:

I dunno, but any Jedi should be able to use the Force for contraception and conception. Block/guide sperm and ova at will. But if you're right, Han is a very lucky man.

This has actually happened. You can thank Legacy of the Force.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Darth Freddy posted:

For any one that does not keep up with the SW ToR Thread in the MMO forum the newest trailer is out.

And if this some how does not get you hyped up then I feel bad for you. Not it is silly at times.

The novel for deceived also was not to bad despite some really over the top uses of the force, I can not wait till the one for Reven comes out.

I've got no interest in the game itself, but I do have to admit that the cinematics do look pretty slick.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Darth Freddy posted:

I hafta admit, I liked that lightsaber fight. Good mix of blade prowess and force powers. Still not gonna buy the game though. :v:

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Awesome Andy posted:

I thought there was only one, and it could use the force to communicate with it's victims.
And Bobba Fett totally escaped.

Sarlacci are a species, so there is more than one.

They don't communicate through Force. It's suggested they communicate be absorbing the consciousness of their victims as part of the 'over a thousand years' digestion cycle and use it to "speak" to their victims (like a symbiotic type deal?), or, they dump chemicals into their victims during digestion which induce hallucinations; making the victim think they are being communicated to by the sarlacc.

Boba Fett did escape. And, out of the EU, it's probably one of the more tame/feasible alteration of the OT.
Science Fiction :science:

qxx fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 7, 2011

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

kazmeyer posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

http://amzn.com/B004MNOXOA

Deadly serious. Apparently, it took fans four years to convince Hasbro that no, they weren't joking, and they really wanted a Willrow Hood figure.

I think I'll go edit that wiki entry to state that he was carrying the blueprints and location of the second Death Star. It just feels right.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

qxx posted:

Sarlacci are a species, so there is more than one.

They don't communicate through Force. It's suggested they communicate be absorbing the consciousness of their victims as part of the 'over a thousand years' digestion cycle and use it to "speak" to their victims (like a symbiotic type deal?), or, they dump chemicals into their victims during digestion which induce hallucinations; making the victim think they are being communicated to by the sarlacc.

Boba Fett did escape. And, out of the EU, it's probably one of the more tame/feasible alteration of the OT.
Science Fiction :science:

I had a dream last night that there was a sarlac growing in the side of a tree. It freaked me out, so I woke myself up.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Darth Freddy posted:

That smuggler is one slick motherfucker. Anything with him in it is the best part of the trailer. From wearing a goddamned cowboy hat in Star Wars to blowing away Sith Soldiers with a freaking pistol while the actual soldiers are having trouble, he's awesome. The Live Action series needs to be about this guy.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

At some point Vader probably choked a dude who didn't look at all unhappy about it...

It was called auto-erotic Vaderfication. There was a select group of imperial fetishists who developed a group who would intentionally subject themselves to Vader's wrath in order to furiously masturbate during the force choke in the belief that they could become one with the force at the moment of climax if they died at the same time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Autoeroticvaderfication

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

NeonTurtle posted:

That smuggler is one slick motherfucker. Anything with him in it is the best part of the trailer. From wearing a goddamned cowboy hat in Star Wars to blowing away Sith Soldiers with a freaking pistol while the actual soldiers are having trouble, he's awesome. The Live Action series needs to be about this guy.

But where are his vulnerabilities?
Look at Han, he was vulnerable to love, and found it, but stumbled around the princess like an rear end in a top hat, he was ruthlessly badass even through his capture, but he was captured. He overcame everything in the end, not because he could shoot space lasers and wore a cool hat, he did because he was a devil-may-care rogue who developed as a person. He's what you want to be in your imagination, he flys a starship... But is somehow relatable. I look at cowboy bebop there and all I see is more prequel FX with no point or imagination. A final fantasy character with a gun.nits just more lights and high space fashion, it's loving boring :(

I'm just super cautious after watching the prequels I guess...

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's okay man, we're all a little gun-shy these days. There's a support group if you need it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

LLJKSiLk posted:

It was called auto-erotic Vaderfication. There was a select group of imperial fetishists who developed a group who would intentionally subject themselves to Vader's wrath in order to furiously masturbate during the force choke in the belief that they could become one with the force at the moment of climax if they died at the same time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Autoeroticvaderfication

gently caress, I clicked that fully expecting it to be a real thing. Good game :golfclap:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Look at Han, he was vulnerable to love, and found it, but stumbled around the princess like an rear end in a top hat, he was ruthlessly badass even through his capture, but he was captured. He overcame everything in the end, not because he could shoot space lasers and wore a cool hat, he did because he was a devil-may-care rogue who developed as a person. He's what you want to be in your imagination, he flys a starship... But is somehow relatable. I look at cowboy bebop there and all I see is more prequel FX with no point or imagination. A final fantasy character with a gun.nits just more lights and high space fashion, it's loving boring :(

While I loved how the trailer looked, everything just seemed so unoriginal. Every tiny bit in that trailer is derived from other parts of Star Wars. Some pieces look and feel good (Han Solo-esque character flying the Falcon to safety while his passengers shoot at TIE-fighters) and some are hilarious (did Jedi Maul dual-wield lightsabers with one lightsaber being a double-bladed lightsaber? General Grievous and Darth Saberknees notwithstanding, that has to be some kind of record).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NeonTurtle posted:

I thought so too until I realized he's basically that stupid loving cowboy guy from the clone wars.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

gently caress, I clicked that fully expecting it to be a real thing. Good game :golfclap:

I was 99% sure that one was a joke, but seeing how I just got fooled by the ice cream man...

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought it was a joke video crossover at first because he looked like the guy from Red Dead.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sith Happens posted:

I've got no interest in the game itself, but I do have to admit that the cinematics do look pretty slick.
Yeah, I have no expectation of the game being enjoyable or groundbreaking, so if instead they just put all their energy towards pumping out cool cinematics every few months I'd be happy.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Well, we only got about a minute with him. We didn't even get a name. He's like Han Solo from the Star Wars theatrical trailer. We don't know poo poo about him. There's more character there, we just didn't get a chance to see it because there was only 5 minutes of run time. Moreover, most of that runtime was taken up by Jedi and Sith dual-wielding dual-bladed lightsabers in another tiring, drawn out, emotionless fight. Now if we had a full movie with the smuggler we'd have a character to work with.

He probably has a daughter on some shithole planet, and he smuggles Sith Artifacts without her knowledge so he can make enough money to enable him to bribe enough officials to get her through the planet's draconian emigration policies and get her into a prestigious university on Alderaan. He's torn because he can't be with her to watch her grow up, but he can't get the kind of money necessary to get her off-planet any other way. Everyone makes fun of his hat, but he always wears it because it was the first gift his daughter ever gave him.

Slantedfloors posted:

It's okay man, we're all a little gun-shy these days. There's a support group if you need it.
I thought this thread was the support group.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Now that I've read about the ice cream guy I actually like that he got worked into the main story. It's silly and light-hearted and doesn't involve stupid force powers, horse pilots or one of those idiotic S'leezebag Do'ooshbagh names. It has a MST3K feel to it.

Just be glad that ice cream maker didn't have a lightsaber blade coming out of it.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I hafta admit, I liked that lightsaber fight. Good mix of blade prowess and force powers. Still not gonna buy the game though. :v:

That cinematic was done by Blur Studios. Odds are you've seen some of their other work, since they're among the best around for that sort of thing.

They use motion capture, so yes, most or all of that fight actually happened. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Now that I've read about the ice cream guy I actually like that he got worked into the main story. It's silly and light-hearted and doesn't involve stupid force powers, horse pilots or one of those idiotic S'leezebag Do'ooshbagh names. It has a MST3K feel to it.

Just be glad that ice cream maker didn't have a lightsaber blade coming out of it.

Hey man don't talk poo poo about horse pilot he's badass as gently caress :colbert: