Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

There's a dehumidifier in my basement to prevent stuff from molding, but I feel like there's a lot of electricity going to waste. Is it possible to replace the dehumidifier with a dessicant of some kind, e.g. Damprid? Or would that result in a moldy basement?
Yeah but you'd need a lot of it to pull out as much water as a dehumidifier, and it might end up costing the same or even more since it gets used up and has to be replaced. The best long-term plan is to get your basement waterproofed. More money up front but cheaper in the long run if you're going to keep the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

randyest posted:

Yeah but you'd need a lot of it to pull out as much water as a dehumidifier, and it might end up costing the same or even more since it gets used up and has to be replaced. The best long-term plan is to get your basement waterproofed. More money up front but cheaper in the long run if you're going to keep the house.

Well I'm renting and I'll only be here another year. I figured if the damprid lasted about that long I would be okay. Guess I'll look into it. Thanks.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Anjow posted:

Has anyone used an air ioniser? My father suggests that I should get one to help alleviate dust buildup in my room in my new place. Do they do this? Are they any good? If so, does anyone have a recommendation of a good one?

I've never come across them before so I don't know if they're snake oil or not. And my room gets loving dusty.

I can't speak for ionisers, but I live in a dusty old house, and these, along with dusting and vacuuming, do an excellent job of keeping the dust under control. You have to replace the filters regularly, and especially the carbon prefilter, but you can buy the carbon prefilter in rolls or sheets from other manufacturers (my Menards store sells them in the same display as the Hunters) and cut them to fit.

One of these on the nightstand next to my bed makes a big difference in whether I wake up in the middle of the night because I can't breathe for allergies.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Well I'm renting and I'll only be here another year. I figured if the damprid lasted about that long I would be okay. Guess I'll look into it. Thanks.
We use a big tub of damprid (64oz?) in a closet where my wife keeps some special clothes or something, and it fills up a few times a year. You can dump the water and re-use it a few times but it gets all solidified and doesn't work as well. But we're in New England and it doesn't get too humid here except for a few weeks a year. I remember trying it in Florida years ago and it lasted like a week :(

I'd think your landlord would want to take measures to keep it dry since, you know, once you get mold you're pretty hosed.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

bru posted:

Can anyone recommend an acoustic guitar for round about £200/$350? Thanks!

Yamaha, very sturdy and a nice versatile sound. Played lots and lots of them at a friend's music shop back in the day. The bracing for the lower tier models stays the same up until the ~£350 mark, iirc. Then it changes again a few models up the ladder. Better check their current catalogue to make sure you're paying for audible differences in quality instead of cosmetics.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have/ know anyone who has an asus eee slate? How well does it run minecraft? I was thinking of getting a new laptop, something portability based, and this seemed like a better choice than a macbook air.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I just got the "Inception" soundtrack on a whim. I noticed that it doesn't include the audio used in the trailer, "Mind Heist." Why not?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
^^^ Often music used in trailers is used because the score isn't finished, or simply because it fits the trailer better. They even use scores from other movies in trailers. Long story short; unless there was a theme song or something, you usually don't get the trailer song on the soundtrack.

From a business aspect, it isn't on there because they licensed it for broadcast, but didn't buy the extra rights to include it on the soundtrack.

bru posted:

Can anyone recommend an acoustic guitar for round about £200/$350? Thanks!

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Takamine-EG34...07324788&sr=1-3

It's right at your price range on amazon, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Durable, great acoustics, good action, holds tune, nothing has broken.

I've had it for probably 6 years now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

From a business aspect, it isn't on there because they licensed it for broadcast, but didn't buy the extra rights to include it on the soundtrack.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet a dollar it's related to licensing.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

stubblyhead posted:

I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet a dollar it's related to licensing.

It is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Steps_From_Hell

Another big company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immediate_Music

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Okay, I could really use the help of an entomologist, hobby bug guy, or anyone who has dealt with a cockroach problem.

I moved into this house last year, joining two occupants who have been here for nearly a decade. They've never had to deal with cockroach problems. Over the summer I saw two separate bugs that look like cockroaches to me, I'm told they're 'waterbugs.' I assume they know more about the region than I do, since I'm a newcomer.

I've seen three this week alone. That's a little more concerning than seeing two in a summer. I captured the third one, ignoring the heebie-geebies, and it is now my prisoner in a very small Tupperware thing. I've tried to identify it, see if it's even a cockroach, and I'm having no luck. I did find out that a waterbug is a drat cockroach, very comforting.

The pictures don't look like what I have, the descriptions are vague, and I don't trust exterminators. I'm sure if I called one, they'd decide we need to spray some expensive crap all over. I'm also pregnant, which makes me want to get the roaches gone faster, since they do carry disease causing bacteria, but it makes me want to spray less, since I'm overprotective of the fetus and I have an unnatural fear of 'chemicals' I learned from my father.

So, if anyone can help, or knows of a site more helpful than the stuff Google brings up, please speak up.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Take a picture of the bug. We have a bunch of bug geeks hanging around here who are pretty fast at identifying.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fabulist posted:

Okay, I could really use the help of an entomologist, hobby bug guy, or anyone who has dealt with a cockroach problem.
On top of posting photos, tell us where you are too.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Fabulist posted:

I moved into this house last year, joining two occupants who have been here for nearly a decade. They've never had to deal with cockroach problems. Over the summer I saw two separate bugs that look like cockroaches to me, I'm told they're 'waterbugs.' I assume they know more about the region than I do, since I'm a newcomer.

As an aside, sometimes where I'm from (Texas) we call the largest, gross kind of American cockroach a "water bug" so we don't feel like we have a cockroach infestation.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I wasn't sure if I would ask this in Cinema Discusso or TVIV, so I'm asking it here. :D

A friend of mine just finished watching the 2009 Star Trek movie, and she's looking for a good summation of the changes between the original timeline/history and the alternate reality in the new movie. Anyone have a good link for that? The best result my Googling found was some discussion of how the characters are different as portrayed by the different actors, and that's not what she's looking for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a reboot in every way but name, there is nothing left of the old universe. It would be easier to list things that were not changed.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Sometimes my neck hurts so I crack it, when I lean my head to the left I can feel it in the right side of my chest and it does not feel good. Could this be a pulled muscle?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has google pulled all of the free hotspot apps from the market? I don't feel like paying an extra 30 dollars a month for some bullshit

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I want to open some ports so I can run a minecraft server with my friend. However, I'm renting from a Korean fellow and everything on my router is Korean. Can anybody give me instructions on how to open the proper port? Pictures are here - http://imgur.com/a/RUtQ1

Appreciate it.

Edit: Forgot the buttons at the bottom

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 7, 2011

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
anyone know of a youtube-esque video hosting site that allows you to uplaod a 1GB file thats one hour long?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Fabulist posted:

I've seen three this week alone. That's a little more concerning than seeing two in a summer. I captured the third one, ignoring the heebie-geebies, and it is now my prisoner in a very small Tupperware thing. I've tried to identify it, see if it's even a cockroach, and I'm having no luck. I did find out that a waterbug is a drat cockroach, very comforting.

The pictures don't look like what I have, the descriptions are vague, and I don't trust exterminators. I'm sure if I called one, they'd decide we need to spray some expensive crap all over. I'm also pregnant, which makes me want to get the roaches gone faster, since they do carry disease causing bacteria, but it makes me want to spray less, since I'm overprotective of the fetus and I have an unnatural fear of 'chemicals' I learned from my father.

So, if anyone can help, or knows of a site more helpful than the stuff Google brings up, please speak up.

Your profile says you're in a "Flyover State", so that's close enough to me (Illinois) that I feel I can relate.

If you've seen three of these, you've got an infestation, and yes, waterbugs are cockroaches, although they have the saving grace of at least not being the common or "German" cockroach, explosively populating midnight scurrier of kitchen and bathroom; generally waterbugs live in damp areas like basements and really way back under the kitchen sink and--here's the point--you generally don't see many waterbugs (as in, "more than one") unless their population pressures are such that outlyers are being forced out to where you can see them.

They're not invasive the way that German cockroaches are, but they're definitely roaches. However, everybody I know takes the same laid-back attitude towards waterbugs that your roomies do--"Eh, it's just a waterbug". This is because you don't usually come into the kitchen at midnight and find a whole population of them snacking down on your dirty dishes.

If you're bothered by waterbugs, bug-bombs work well; you set them off in your basement and under the kitchen sink. Leave the house for 4 to 8 hours to let the fumes dissipate. As a pregnant person you should have someone else air out the house for you, but most home-use bug bombs I believe are based on relatively non-toxic-to-humans pyrethrins rather than EPA-licensed ghastly poisons.

Waterbugs also respond well to ordinary once-a-month spraying with Ortho pesticide, Spectracide, or Bugstop or the equivalent gallon-jug-with-sprayer bug spray that Wal-Mart carries (Note: NOT ordinary Raid®, which has no residual knockdown effect plus smells really bad). Spray around damp places, like in the basement, around utility tubs, washing machines, etc., and under the kitchen sink. Get all the junk out from under the kitchen sink, too; you want an absence of hiding places.

The trick is to keep after them, because there are always new age cohorts of bugs coming to maturity and going out into the world (i.e. your house), so you spray once a month.

A professional exterminator will try to sell you on a contract to have him come in once a month and spray. You do not need this, you can do it yourself with Bug-Stop from Wal-Mart. However, you CAN hire him to come in and do a one-time treatment only. Just say no to the maintenance contract.

Note that the pesticides here are being put in places where you personally don't normally go, unless you're in the habit of sticking your face under the kitchen sink or behind the washing machine or under the basement utility tub. If you exercise normal caution and just try to keep your distance from the actual spray, your baby should be fine. I raised 3 kids in this house with monthly Bug-Stop and none of them have any birth defects.

For you, I went and looked up "tralomethrin teratogenic" on Google, and the EPA reports that they force-fed the active ingredient in Bug-Stop to rats and rabbits, with no birth defects.

http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0385.htm

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How come sometimes people link youtube videos using the URL youtu.be? From my experience it just redirects to the actual site, so I assume people go out of their way to alter the URL. But why?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Fun Times! posted:

How come sometimes people link youtube videos using the URL youtu.be? From my experience it just redirects to the actual site, so I assume people go out of their way to alter the URL. But why?

Maybe for the twitter users that have limited characters. I don't know honestly.

Is it a faux pas to ask someone what their avatar is from?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

JDanielS posted:

Is it a faux pas to ask someone what their avatar is from?

I do it all the time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fun Times! posted:

The youtu.be form URL serves two functions: it's shorter, which is nice for things like Twitter, which used to count URLs toward the message limit (now I think it has fancy autoshortening). It also still lets people know that you're heading to a Youtube video, as opposed to some random tinyurl.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Oh. I only asked because I saw some links in that fashion on the forums, but they were in TCC so who knows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fun Times! posted:

I assume people go out of their way to alter the URL.

Clicking the "share" button under a video produces a .be link specifically for Twitter et al. because it's short.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Does there exist a website or a collection on a website dedicated to dramatic parody readings of terrible fanfiction? Stuff like Half Life: Full Life Consequences. I can't get enough of this stuff.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

nbv4 posted:

anyone know of a youtube-esque video hosting site that allows you to uplaod a 1GB file thats one hour long?

http://vimeo.com/ seems to be where I see long hi-def films usually posted.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

change my name posted:

Has google pulled all of the free hotspot apps from the market? I don't feel like paying an extra 30 dollars a month for some bullshit

Yes, they puled a bunch from their market a few weeks ago.
There's nothing stopping you from loading the .apk manually though.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
Can anyone recommend an online boutique that supplies bras in larger sizes? E cup for example, i'm trying to help my girlfriend find a good supplier but it's difficult to ascertain at least for me being a male and so on.

Shipping to Canada would be mandatory.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
figleaves.ca. She can sort by size, as well as a bunch of other criteria.

Also, if she hasn't already, she should go to the best department store near y'all and get sized properly. An absurdly large number of women are not wearing the right bra size-- most have a smaller band size and a larger cup size than they think they do.

Finally, there is a bra megathread in W&W that might be of help for both of you.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Blogger or Wordpress? Which do you prefer and why? Seems to be hotly debated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tostito posted:

Blogger or Wordpress? Which do you prefer and why? Seems to be hotly debated.

What are your needs?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sizzlechest posted:

I just got the "Inception" soundtrack on a whim. I noticed that it doesn't include the audio used in the trailer, "Mind Heist." Why not?

It's very common for production companies to use 3rd party music for the trailers, since the film score is done in post-production and the trailers need to be out before the film is completed. Zack Hemsey wrote the music in the trailer, but Hans Zimmer is the one who scored the film. The soundtrack is probably going to be almost exclusively Hans' music.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I've been using a citronella-based insect repellent to deal with the mosquitoes, lately. I understand that citronella is a natural oil derived from a plant. Does this mean that it is a totally safe, non-toxic product? I really just want to know how much I can safely use at a time while I'm working outside.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

I understand that citronella is a natural oil derived from a plant. Does this mean that it is a totally safe, non-toxic product?

Yes and no.

Citronella oil is safe to use but may cause irritation in some people -- it gives me a mild rash, for example.

But just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it's safe, non-toxic, or good to use.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

But just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it's safe, non-toxic, or good to use.

Exactly, nightshade comes from a plant and is deadly poisonous. If you don't have any negative reactions to it, then go nuts. I think it stinks, so I don't use it. YMMV.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

tarepanda posted:

Yes and no.

Citronella oil is safe to use but may cause irritation in some people -- it gives me a mild rash, for example.

I've used it a few times already. No rash or reaction, just comments from other people about the smell (it's pretty loving potent).

I was more referring to any dangerous or long-term effects, anyway. Are there any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not that I know of. It's been around for ages without anything being reported other than topical irritation.