Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Ugh, I hate that it feels like I live on this thread now. How soon is too soon to know how a new bc will interact with my body?

I switched from the depo shot to Lutera pills (combination hormones), because I noticed that I was gaining weight with depo. I'm already considering quitting the pill after taking it for nine days, but I'm not sure if it's too early to write it off.

I've just noticed that I've been getting more depressed. It's kind of hard to tell if it's the pills or an upsetting thing that happened a couple of weeks go, but I'm starting to lean toward the new pills. I feel much better about the thing that happened anymore, but I've still been getting progressively more and more tired every day, and just more and more hyper-sensitive, even when I try to remind myself it's just hormones. It's normal for me to have down days, and it's usually pretty easy for me to find something to feel optimistic about so I feel better, but I'm having a hard time with that during the moods I've had lately.

The most troubling thing is how weak I've been feeling. I was walking around a museum for 45 minutes and I took a three-hour nap afterward because I felt super weak, despite having had a nap before I went to the museum and a full night of sleep the night before. I mostly just notice that I'm constantly extremely tired, even when all I've done is lay in bed all day. It's really unusual for me.

It's really annoying, but if there's a chance it'll go away after a month, I'd be willing to keep on the pill.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kerfuffle posted:

Plenty have, but their experiences are irrelevant to your girlfriend's. She's probably still adjusting to going off hormones, but if symptoms persist or they're generally unbearable she should probably see her gynecologist.

I had seen a lot of stuff when I googled about those effects, but nothing much as far as duration. It's been at least 3-4 months. Her gyno seems like an idiot from what she's told me and this is the second one she's been to since we've been together. I've been trying to prod her to go to another for a while now, but due to her experiences with those drs and the ring in generally, it's a really sore subject now.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I had seen a lot of stuff when I googled about those effects, but nothing much as far as duration. It's been at least 3-4 months. Her gyno seems like an idiot from what she's told me and this is the second one she's been to since we've been together. I've been trying to prod her to go to another for a while now, but due to her experiences with those drs and the ring in generally, it's a really sore subject now.

Painful sex is a reason to go to a gyno. Period.

rainbow kittens posted:

Edit: My problem too is that while I've had SOME sex, I haven't had a whole lot (and not even since 2009), and so I'm quite tight.

Vaginas don't work like that. :P You're "tight" because you're (probably) not aroused and you're probably nervous. I don't have Nuvaring, but I do have an IUD whose strings I have to check. I find I can touch my cervix easier if I crouch down and keep my back straight. If I'm standing or laying down, it's always too far in for my fingers to reach.

Things like that always get easier with practice! The next time won't be as bad, now that you know what it feels like!

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

rainbow kittens posted:

...NuvaRing removal...

I had a similar problem removing NuvaRing for the first time. The next one I put in was at a bit of an angle, which made it a whole lot easier to reach.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Bagleworm posted:

Vaginas don't work like that. :P You're "tight" because you're (probably) not aroused and you're probably nervous. I don't have Nuvaring, but I do have an IUD whose strings I have to check. I find I can touch my cervix easier if I crouch down and keep my back straight. If I'm standing or laying down, it's always too far in for my fingers to reach.

Things like that always get easier with practice! The next time won't be as bad, now that you know what it feels like!

That may be so, but I am certain I still have part of my hymen. Which is what I was yanking on at first. There was a loop that seemed to be far back, so I pulled and pulled and pulled. And then I bled a bit and I looked and I was like "That's definitely not the NuvaRing".

But yeah, I had an easier time on my knees. And once I found it I was like "SCORE!" but then I lost grip and had to do it all over again.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
I was supposed to take out my Nuvaring Friday (June 3), and didn't remember to until yesterday (June 5). Obviously my period is M.I.A, but I've been using it over a year, so I shouldn't worry, right? :j:

Also, just to double check, I should continue the same routine, and replace it this coming Friday with a new one, correct?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

The Peacock posted:

I was supposed to take out my Nuvaring Friday (June 3), and didn't remember to until yesterday (June 5). Obviously my period is M.I.A, but I've been using it over a year, so I shouldn't worry, right? :j:

Also, just to double check, I should continue the same routine, and replace it this coming Friday with a new one, correct?

I just asked this on the last page. You're fine, replace it this Friday.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

2508084 posted:

I just asked this on the last page. You're fine, replace it this Friday.

Oops, I skimmed the last few and somehow missed that. Duh.

Thanks!

Custard
May 8, 2007

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.
Sorry if there's a similar post to mine; I've read most of the thread over time but can't remember.

I seem to have tried everything and not sure what else I can use!

- I started my period at age 10, and had painful heavy periods, although my Mum wasn't happy for me to start birth control until I was 16. Started on the pill when I was 16, and tried a few until I was happy with lack of side effects (I think Cilest was the final one?) I was on this for ~ 5 years, and put on 4 stone (56lb) over this time.

- At around 21, I stopped taking the pill, I was worried it had caused my weight gain. I used condoms for the next few years, and also lost 2.5 stone. Although this may have been coincidence. During this time, I had horrific periods. It was affecting my work as I was taking off 1-2 days off each month, passing out from the pain, at work they took me to A+E several times for passing out in a cold sweat from the pain at work. No pain killers the doctors prescribed touched the pain. During this time I also developed IBS and started being sick a lot, so couldn't go back on the pill.

- At 23, I got an implanon. This has been in for nearly 2 years now. (I've put back on most of that weight too.) My periods have been very erratic the whole time. After about a year they started getting to the point where I was having 2 week periods with a 1 week break inbetween. I was also starting to get bad cramps again and was terrified the pain would go back to the levels it was before. My GP put me on cerazette as well to the control the bleeding. I've been on this for 4 months, and have only had some spotting, however my sex drive is completely gone. I also had my first migraine with aura which looks like it can be a side effect of the implanon.

- I have an appointment to discuss with the doctor what's next. I like the sound of the Nuvaring (or whatever generic version we have in the UK), but it says it can't be prescribed for women who have migraines with aura because of increased stroke risk. As I've only had one, would this matter? My mum had a stroke a few years ago; although that was after surgery. The other option was the Mirena, but I hear that can make cramping worse to start with, and that it is not recommended if you haven't had children? Also that lasts for 5 years and would want to have kids before that, is it worth the initial pain if I have it taken out after ony 2 years? I was happy enough on the pill (bar the weight gain) so anything with those sorts of hormones but it wouldn't matter if I was sick would be great.

Hegemony Cricket
Jul 17, 2006

suck my left one
I'm supposed to give Beyaz (basically Yaz) a shot. My period is probably going to start very, very soon. My doctor suggested a Sunday start, but since my periods basically incapacitate me*, I'm wondering if a day one start is a better idea so I have a better chance of regulating my cycle to start on or near weekends.

This prescription is *only* for regulating the monster-periods. As far as I know, the difference between the two start-times is a) upping the chances of a more predictable cycle since I'd know what day I started the pack and b) the time period it'd take for the contraceptive aspect to work. Since I'm not worried about blocking babies at all, does it make any difference if I do a day one start instead? Do any of you have a particular preference for Sunday or day one starts?**

* I have seen a gynecologist and know why my periods are so brutal.
** Apologies if this has been asked before - I have read the thread through and double-checked the OP, but couldn't find anything on this specific question.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Custard posted:

- I have an appointment to discuss with the doctor what's next. I like the sound of the Nuvaring (or whatever generic version we have in the UK), but it says it can't be prescribed for women who have migraines with aura because of increased stroke risk. As I've only had one, would this matter? My mum had a stroke a few years ago; although that was after surgery. The other option was the Mirena, but I hear that can make cramping worse to start with, and that it is not recommended if you haven't had children? Also that lasts for 5 years and would want to have kids before that, is it worth the initial pain if I have it taken out after ony 2 years? I was happy enough on the pill (bar the weight gain) so anything with those sorts of hormones but it wouldn't matter if I was sick would be great.

Mirena sounds to me (something of a Mirena fangirl tbh) like it might be the best choice for you.
* It doesn't contain estrogen, which is the hormone contraindicated for migraines with aura.

* It has a smaller amount of hormones than other hormonal birth control methods (smaller than implanon & nuvaring). For specific amounts, try these links: Mirena and Implanon. Hopefully that might help with the weight gain...

* Mirena also has the side effect of lightening periods for many women (20% of users). INITIALLY, as in, the first couple days after you get it, you'll get some unpleasant cramping. I'd plan to take some days off if I were you, given your history. For me, I just used a heating pad & I was up and at 'em the same day. I had tiny periods for the first three months and I don't seem to be having them any more.

* It did hurt quite a bit going in, but it faded fast and I'd say it's definitely worth it rather than going on Nuvaring when it might be risky for you. Some people get foreverperiods on Implanon, but other people have been very happy on it. I'd suggest you search for "implanon" and "mirena" through this thread if you want some anecdata.

eta:
* The children thing. The Mirena was initially approved & marketed for women who had already had children, but it has been widely used in childless women since. It's a bit easier to insert into a woman who's had a child since her cervix etc. may be a little less tight. There's also a popular feeling that IUDs are dangerous and may make you infertile, which has a small basis in fact (there is with every IUD a risk of uterine perforation which is very serious and CAN cause infertility) but is mostly a reaction to what happened in the 70's with some of the oldest IUDs. Because of this, some doctors are :tinfoil: about giving young, childless women IUDs lest there be problems. However, the biggest risk factor for uterine perforation is the experience of the doctor inserting the IUD. If you find a practitioner who has lots of experience putting IUDs in childless women, you will lower your already small risk.

eta:

Hegemony Cricket posted:

This prescription is *only* for regulating the monster-periods. As far as I know, the difference between the two start-times is a) upping the chances of a more predictable cycle since I'd know what day I started the pack and b) the time period it'd take for the contraceptive aspect to work. Since I'm not worried about blocking babies at all, does it make any difference if I do a day one start instead? Do any of you have a particular preference for Sunday or day one starts?**

If I were you, I would follow your doctor's advice. If down the line you want to change your starting day, you can do that with the benefit of knowing how long it takes your period to start after the end of the pack. Personally, I liked doing a day one start because I could make sure my periods ended by the weekends, which is the only time I get to see the boyfriend. For now, follow your doctor's instructions, and once you're sorted out a bit in terms of regulation maybe you can change it.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Custard, echoing EW that Minera does sound like a better option for you. I love Nuvaring, but it sounds like you'd benefit from something that would eliminate or heavily lighten your periods with a nice low even hormone dose.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
I'm back on pills; wooo Ortho-Cyclen. Went through Family Planning and got two months to start with, just to see how I'd handle being on it now. Question though, my period came last Thursday (6/02), and I took the first pill on Monday (6/06) because...that's the day I got them. That's ok, right? I mean, they did advise to do so, but I'm so used to "Sunday starter" procedure. I thought I could take Sunday and Monday pills yesterday (I didn't) so I'd be on track but it seems I can just go around the ring as normal, until I reach the inner ring. Hurf I'm making this harder than it should probably. :saddowns:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

New Nuvaring patient: How long should I put up with constant bleeding (not painful) with no other noticeably debilitating side-effects before seeing an OB/GYN?

I know 'breakthrough bleeding' can be a side effect of starting new hormonal birth control, but I assumed that'd be more along the lines of on and off light bleeding, brownish or maybe pale red in color. My never-ending period has been two weeks of moderate flow.

I've just started the Nuvaring (seems a lot of people are having various issues with it on this page) about two weeks ago, and it's my first time using hormonal birth control at all. I started it on what was either the first or second day of my cycle; the day that my period started bleeding for real, instead of the first day of brownish discharge. (It's worth noting that this period was already a week late, likely due to stress.) The ring's been in for 12 consecutive days now, only being removed every other day in the shower to rinse the blood off it (certainly for no more than 10 minutes at a time, much less 3 hours). The bleeding started heavy and let up a little after the first couple days, but it's still been consistent moderate bleeding for almost two weeks now.

Is it recommended to sit it out another week or so and see how it goes before scheduling a doctor's appointment? (A huge hassle for me since I've just moved cross-country and don't have a good doctor here yet, plus will be starting a new job that requires me to travel all day to locations that may or may not have restrooms for sanitary napkin changing; thus the aforementioned stress.) Have I been bleeding longer/more than should be expected for a treatment that affects each woman so differently? Is the never-ending moderate period likely a side-effect of the all the stress I've been under lately rather than just blaming it on the birth control?

Related: How does one have the least messiest sex possible during that (unending) time of the month? More of a hypothetical question, because the blood freaks out the boyfriend's boner away. :(

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

* Mirena also has the side effect of lightening periods for many women (20% of users).

It lightens periods for way more than 20% of women using it. In the study they did to test it for use as a treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding, 85% of women had a 50% or more reduction in menstrual bleeding by the end of the study (6 cycles). It completely eliminates periods for ~20% of users.

Everything else you said is dead on though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yargh posted:

I'm back on pills; wooo Ortho-Cyclen. Went through Family Planning and got two months to start with, just to see how I'd handle being on it now. Question though, my period came last Thursday (6/02), and I took the first pill on Monday (6/06) because...that's the day I got them. That's ok, right? I mean, they did advise to do so, but I'm so used to "Sunday starter" procedure. I thought I could take Sunday and Monday pills yesterday (I didn't) so I'd be on track but it seems I can just go around the ring as normal, until I reach the inner ring. Hurf I'm making this harder than it should probably. :saddowns:

Did your pills come with a paper insert in the pack? They usually have specific instructions for what to do for the different kinds of starts included in the packs of pills. I think usually if you're doing the other "Day 1 start," you start it during the first 24 hours of your period. Or at least that's how it is on the instructions for Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ceridwen posted:

It lightens periods for way more than 20% of women using it. In the study they did to test it for use as a treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding, 85% of women had a 50% or more reduction in menstrual bleeding by the end of the study (6 cycles). It completely eliminates periods for ~20% of users.

Everything else you said is dead on though.

Ahaaa an important distinction. Thanks.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Paragard News:

I got my paragard I think back in November. I had been on the pill or nuvaring from age 14 until 23 and I pretty much had no sex drive what so ever.

Sooo its back. Like crazy back. want to jump my fiance 23 hours a day back.

I loving love paragard. Periods are back to normal too.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

legsarerequired posted:

Lutera & depression?

For what it's worth, I was happily on Alesse (the brand-name of Lutera) for a year or so, fewest problems I've ever had while on a pill, and then got switched to Lutera when there was an Alesse shortage or some drat thing. It was godawful. I wouldn't say I was depressed exactly but hypersensitive is a good description, as I was angry all the time. I swung between irritated and completely enraged and it was exhausting. A fair amount of other stuff was going on at the time (changing majors, boyfriend issues, generally being 19) so I stayed on it for far too long, and might still be on it had a friend not been smarter than me!

The difference in reaction I had between the generic and the brand blew me away - I mean, the hormones are supposed to be the same, right? And the Lutera managed my physical symptoms as well as the Alesse did (I'd been switched to Alesse after being on a higher-dose pill which made the cramps, nausea, etc. worse). So, it could be worth sticking it out a little longer to see if the Lutera is working for you for the physical issues you're concerned about, but it could also be worth going back to the doctor and seeing if you can get switched to a different Alesse generic. I recall doing some research at the time and seeing reactions similar to mine, and those women who couldn't get switched back to Alesse largely did better when switched to Aviane, another generic made by a different company than Lutera.

I can't answer your question about how long it takes to tell how hormones will affect your body, since I am apparently slow on the uptake as far as that goes, but I hope this helps!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Not quite birth control, but I'm sure someone here has some insight. Does anyone know if those cranberry pills actually help prevent UTIs?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Not quite birth control, but I'm sure someone here has some insight. Does anyone know if those cranberry pills actually help prevent UTIs?

The best answer that science can give you at this point is "possibly".

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Kerfuffle posted:

I don't know that they prevent UTI's, because I'm terrible at remembering to take pills, so I only ever took them when I actively had a UTI. They do seem to help make it pass faster, however, the best remedy I've ever found is drinking a glass of water with a teaspoonful of baking soda every few hours. It tastes like poo poo on a stick, but it works. The best prevention really though is practicing good hygeiene, wiping front-to-back, peeeing before/after sex etc etc.

Also, Giant Boy Detective, I can't help you with the Nuvaring issue, but you need to tell your boyfriend to :dealwithit: Periods are gonna happen, whether he likes it or not, and period sex makes his boner all pretty and pink!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kerfuffle posted:

"Maybe" like the other two said. Peeing immediately before & after sex is iirc the only thing that is for sure helpful.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Is it recommended to sit it out another week or so and see how it goes before scheduling a doctor's appointment?

Unfortunately, these things take time. A lot of it. The usual trial period is three months to see if the initial symptoms clear up or if they're going to stick around. twelve days isn't enough time for your body to adjust to the new influx of hormones.

quote:

Have I been bleeding longer/more than should be expected for a treatment that affects each woman so differently? Is the never-ending moderate period likely a side-effect of the all the stress I've been under lately rather than just blaming it on the birth control?

That level of bleeding is a possible side effect of hormonal birth control. The chances are pretty good that it'll cease after your period week. Stick it out for another week and take the ring out when you're scheduled to have it out and see what happens then.

quote:

Related: How does one have the least messiest sex possible during that (unending) time of the month? More of a hypothetical question, because the blood freaks out the boyfriend's boner away. :(

First, tell your boyfriend he's a stupid wimp face. :(

Shower sex might work for you, depending how squeamish he is. I also sometimes find lube makes the blood less visible; it's like the blood can't stick to anything. If you really wanted, you could try some of the soft menstrual cups. There's two kinds of menstrual cup: firm silicon cups like the Divacup, and thin cups that are more like condoms, like the Instead Softcup. The latter is designed so you can still have sex with it in.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

people posted:

stuff
Thanks guys. I recently got a pretty severe one, and I honestly have NO IDEA how I got it because I'm careful about it. I noticed it 3 days ago, missed all the early symptoms, and couldn't get to a clinic until the following day and it worsened immensely overnight. I had a fever by the time I got to a clinic and they seemed surprised I felt as well as I did. :sigh:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Juniper posted:

For what it's worth, I was happily on Alesse (the brand-name of Lutera) for a year or so, fewest problems I've ever had while on a pill, and then got switched to Lutera when there was an Alesse shortage or some drat thing. It was godawful.

This post just freaked me out, because I was actually prescribed Alesse, but the pharmacy was out. My doctor really emphasized that I needed to start on the pill asap, so I just opted to get the generic, and here I am.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
As an update and info for anyone who is curious, I got my Implanon taken out today. She numbed up my arm just like when it was put in. She drew some dots on my arm beforehand, and numbed it "underneath" the implant, as she said the drugs kind of buoy the implant up closer to the skin.

She then waited about five minutes for the numbing to kick in and then made a small incision. Because mine had been in there for so long (two years), there were some adhesions, so she used the scalpel to slowly work the implant out. Aside from some bleeding during the procedure it was uneventful. She said she had to make my incision a little bigger than she wanted to, but even at that it's probably a centimeter long at most.

It's about six hours later, and it still really doesn't hurt at all, and I have only a bandaid covering it. Pretty easy!

Even though I get very infrequent migraines with aura (like 2 or 3 times per year), she decided to let me try the NuvaRing for a couple of months to see how I do. I have recently been given prescription migraine pills to take, which made her feel better about giving me the ring. So, here's to hoping.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Today I went to Planned Parenthood and got my prescription for the patch, then went to pick it up at the pharmacy, and I got conflicting instructions from the doctor at PP and the pharmacist so I thought I'd clarify with you guys.

I told the doctor at PP that I'm on my period right now, and that I started it yesterday. She made it seem like that meant that I could put my patch on at any point over the next five days "up to Sunday" (since I started it on Tuesday).

But then the pharmacist made it seem like I only had two options: I could either put the patch on on the very first day of my period, or exactly five days after. Since I missed my chance to put it on yesterday that means, as per her information, all I can do now is put it on on Sunday.

So what gives? Is it okay if I put my patch on on Thursday or Friday? Or do I have to wait until Sunday?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
The patch should be applied on the first day of your period and backup should be used for 7 days if it's put on anytime after this. The five day rule is for the pill, but the patch takes longer than the pill to reach sufficient levels in your body so you don't have that extra wiggle room.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
Okay...if I had Implanon taken out yesterday, and insert the NuvaRing today, could I get pregnant if I were to have sex today, say? Just curious.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I doubt it.

(ninja edit: but of course to be safe use a back up method for 7 days)

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

DRP Solved! posted:

The patch should be applied on the first day of your period and backup should be used for 7 days if it's put on anytime after this. The five day rule is for the pill, but the patch takes longer than the pill to reach sufficient levels in your body so you don't have that extra wiggle room.

So it's okay if I put the patch on today (the third day of my period) as long as I still use condoms for the next week?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Yup!

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Geolicious posted:

As it turns out, weirdly enough, my old gyno from VA now practices in Carson City. So, as soon as my insurance kicks in, I think I will set up with him. I liked him a lot and he seems like he thinks women can be trusted with their own bodies.

I want Mirena. I have since I first heard about it. But I am facing resistance about it from every doc I've asked. If this doc won't, then I might try PP about it. Mirena just seems like the best option for me, aside from sterilization. I just need to find someone who knows a 29 year old (nearly) is totally capable of making those decisions for herself.

What is it about doctors trying to put you off stuff you think will be better for you? I was all up in the (copper) coil until my doc stressed the fact that it was EXTREMELY PAINFUL to get it fitted etc. etc. In spite of the fact she knows I've had major surgery resulting from a very painful medical condition so am no stranger to pain. In spite of the fact I told her I had problems with hormonal things. It really put me off, and I find now (after being on Cerazette for about 8 months) it was to my detriment.

I'm glad you mentioned Mirena, because a quick google tells me the hormone aspect is far lower than the minipill. It was a very quick google, so I think when my periods have restabilised (having now come off said Satan-pill) I'll book an appointment with the main West London family planning clinic for some more practical advice. I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.

I guess it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long does it take for things to get back to normal after coming off the pill? If I remember my last time - a looong time ago - correctly, it was about 2-3 months, but I'd been on it far longer (4 years or so).

Bollock Monkey posted:

After a year, I'm having to have my Implanon out and go back on Microgynon. I'm gutted about it, the implant was perfect for months and then I just started bleeding all the time in March. Argh. I'm fine with taking pills but drat, the total lack of periods was so good while it lasted... Anyway, with that mini-rant over, how bad is having the implant taken out compared with it going in? Having it done was really loving unpleasant so I'm worried, and if it's gonna hurt more then I want to mentally prepare myself for that. I'm such a wuss!

Oh, and I've started the pill already (doc said it was fine) - anyone else had experience with this sort of thing regarding changes in mood etc? I know it's very dependent upon the person, but again I want to be aware of any potential side-effects. I'm two days in and there's been no change but I don't want it to suddenly hit me in a couple of days or so.

Am I wrong in saying you've gone from the single hormone from the combined hormone? I guess the doc would do this because you suddenly had lots of bleeding from the single one.

I was just recently on the minipill having been on the combined pill in the past, but my troublesome symptoms are exactly the same for both.

I'd say in both cases they do come on rather insidiously, hopefully you have a SO who can keep an eye out for you because you might not notice yourself at first. Mine usually kick in at the 3 month mark, but YMMV.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 9, 2011

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Oops double post. Sorry about that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

What is it about doctors trying to put you off stuff you think will be better for you? I was all up in the (copper) coil until my doc stressed the fact that it was EXTREMELY PAINFUL to get it fitted etc. etc. In spite of the fact she knows I've had major surgery resulting from a very painful medical condition so am no stranger to pain. In spite of the fact I told her I had problems with hormonal things. It really put me off, and I find now (after being on Cerazette for about 8 months) it was to my detriment.

I'm glad you mentioned Mirena, because a quick google tells me the hormone aspect is far lower than the minipill. It was a very quick google, so I think when my periods have restabilised (having now come off said Satan-pill) I'll book an appointment with the main West London family planning clinic for some more practical advice. I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.

I guess it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long does it take for things to get back to normal after coming off the pill? If I remember my last time - a looong time ago - correctly, it was about 2-3 months, but I'd been on it far longer (4 years or so).

Unless there's some difference I'm unaware of, being fitted/having the copper IUD inserted shouldn't be any more painful than having Mirena inserted. I've never had it done myself so someone else can chime in there, but the painful part doesn't last very long anyway from what I've heard. Some people aren't comfortable with IUDs, especially in women who have never had children - maybe that doctor was one of them.

As for your question, the last time I stopped taking a pill I had only been on it for a few months and it still took about 2 or 3 months for things to really normalize. That was a combined pill if it makes any difference

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

legsarerequired posted:

This post just freaked me out, because I was actually prescribed Alesse, but the pharmacy was out. My doctor really emphasized that I needed to start on the pill asap, so I just opted to get the generic, and here I am.

That's basically what happened to me - I needed the refill now, not in six to eight weeks, so here, take this one, it's "the same." OK, now I just sound paranoid, but still. I don't know what the Alesse supply situation is these days, as today is my Mirena's third anniversary. You should be able to call the pharmacy and ask if they carry any of the other Alesse generics (if there are others besides Aviane and Lutera, I have only seen those two in a quick google), or call around to other pharmacies in the area. Depending on what's available, you can go back to your doctor and ask them to write you a prescription that specifies not Lutera.

Good luck!

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

Shower sex might work for you, depending how squeamish he is. I also sometimes find lube makes the blood less visible; it's like the blood can't stick to anything. If you really wanted, you could try some of the soft menstrual cups. There's two kinds of menstrual cup: firm silicon cups like the Divacup, and thin cups that are more like condoms, like the Instead Softcup. The latter is designed so you can still have sex with it in.
Oh wow, I'd actually never even heard of a soft kind of menstrual cup, just the Divacup kind. Does anyone have any experience using these Softcups? (Not completely birth control related, but this is probably the best thread to ask in besides the general sex questions thread.) It seems like something that might leak a lot depending on the shape of one's lady parts. I'd hate to test it out on the go and find out it leaks for me when I'm in the middle of nowhere on the job.

Tried shower sexing, but I'm a tad too short. Clearly a kiddy bath stool is needed.

Nuvaring Update: You were right to suggest waiting a bit more. Of course the day after I ~complained on the internet~ the blood flow lightened up some more. Next week is my ring out week, so we'll see if it a) stops completely before then and b) starts up correctly during that week.

Do the manufacturer coupons you get to print out on the the Nuvaring website not activate until the day/week/whenever after you subscribe or something? I signed up yesterday and went to get my refill at the local Walgreens, and the pharmacist was having issues getting it to work and told me to try again the next day after she called the manufacturer.

Also, does being on hormonal birth control tend drastically alter when one's girly bits are most/least sensitive? Just trying to figure out when to schedule Brazillian waxing/plucking, since sans birth control it was best to have done one or two days after the end of a period since that's when it hurt the least. In particular I'm curious about those who attempt to/succeed at forgoing their periods entirely, or for anyone who's also experienced the never-ending river of blood.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Oh wow, I'd actually never even heard of a soft kind of menstrual cup, just the Divacup kind. Does anyone have any experience using these Softcups? (Not completely birth control related, but this is probably the best thread to ask in besides the general sex questions thread.) It seems like something that might leak a lot depending on the shape of one's lady parts. I'd hate to test it out on the go and find out it leaks for me when I'm in the middle of nowhere on the job.

I'd ask these things in the Menstrual Cup thread (yes, of course there is one :v:). There are a lot of people who've tried a lot of different kinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I take my birth control regularly and just went through my placebo week and had my period, on the last day of the placebo week, after my period was over with I had sex. Now it's two days later, I started my new pills and have been having cramps and backaches and just had some blood in my discharge... ew. WTF is goin on here, I'm a ittle worried

• Locked thread