Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

piL posted:

Was it Rafermmand? That was cool and at the end he was transitioning across two structures, both of which had features similar to conquest imo. Also, I think kingdoms codebase did that as well.

I don't remember oWoD stuff in Rafermand (maybe it was after I left) but it does sound sort of like Rafermand, which was pretty cool, if a bit imbalanced at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Game looks really great, are you looking for building staff at all? I'm a builder with no place to build.

Shoot me a PM, maybe? We can be a bit persnickity on world coherence but I don't think we have anyone who's above going over that sort of thing if it works out. If you can whip a couple short samples of typical rooms you would do, too, that would also be cool.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes

Sheep posted:

We should just run a Goon Ground Zero game for a bit. For those who never played it, it's basically PK-only (there are some mobs but the point is PK) where there are two (technically three?) teams fighting each other to fulfill the conditions required to unlock the nuke and press the big red button, blowing up the game and resetting everything. You could classify it as Counterstrike before there were graphics with nukes, rocket launchers, and tanks.

Seems like it'd be the perfect goon setup since it requires literally less than an hour to play a round.

Edit: source code for GZ2 is here if anyone wants to actually make this happen.

I would be thrilled to play this!

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

croakey posted:

I would be thrilled to play this!

Yeah, I took a look at it and it actually does look like a fun little game that doesn't really require a huge time commitment or anything. Maybe I'll throw a dedicated server up for my friends and I and we'll do a little testing.

Sarren
Apr 13, 2004

Sheep posted:

We should just run a Goon Ground Zero game for a bit. For those who never played it, it's basically PK-only (there are some mobs but the point is PK) where there are two (technically three?) teams fighting each other to fulfill the conditions required to unlock the nuke and press the big red button, blowing up the game and resetting everything. You could classify it as Counterstrike before there were graphics with nukes, rocket launchers, and tanks.

Seems like it'd be the perfect goon setup since it requires literally less than an hour to play a round.

this game was beyond fantastic and i'd love this. i've looked for a server every once in a while and can never find one :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
People were talking about UOSSM earlier. It was my favorite. I played it when it first came about 10 or so years ago and then hopped back on a few years ago again. I just logged in yesterday and somehow my character is there after my last stint. There were only 3 people online (not counting legends and wizards) and everyone had been idle for > 1 hour. Anyway, the only thing stopping me from playing again is I've forgotten all of the quest info since I first played 9-10 years ago and I really don't want to bother figuring everything out again. I use to have a qinfo.txt that some people and I contributed to but that was several hard drives again. Does anyone have that file or any info regarding the quests that they can PM me or something? I really wanna try it again but having to figure all that poo poo out again is demotivating me. The only one I can remember decently is the Soldier quest but that only extends to where I have to go to get Cyan the flower.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone play Legends of The Jedi?

I've played a few SWRs and this is the hands down best.

It has roughly 50-70 active player at any given time.

It's RP enforced with perm death, so you can be a real scumbag if you play it right. There's piracy, cargo hauling, shipbuilding, lots of crafting options and lots of politics. SWR is a great system.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Anyone play Legends of The Jedi?

I've played a few SWRs and this is the hands down best.

It has roughly 50-70 active player at any given time.

It's RP enforced with perm death, so you can be a real scumbag if you play it right. There's piracy, cargo hauling, shipbuilding, lots of crafting options and lots of politics. SWR is a great system.

Sounds interesting. I'll log on for a bit tonight. What's your character name and how do I get in touch with you (i.e. what commands/items do i need?)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My character name right now is Baltir, but it'd be hard to get in touch; you only know people by what language they're talking if they're on the global CommNet, you have to meet someone in person and have them greet you by name in order to be able to recognize them again (aside from assigning them your own name with the DUB command). Names have power in an RP world with perm death, so using aliases for minor transactions/interactions is pretty much a given. (you can obscure your name by GREETing someone AS {alias}).

If you've never played an SWR, I recommend making a very low profile engineering character for your first time around. The subtleties of combat, leadership, and bountyhunting classes are pretty well guarded by players who want to keep their edge.

The worlds are densely packed with content and areas to explore, and you're generally pretty safe aside from a couple things, if you stick to the main planets like Coruscant, Corellia, Lorrd, Mon Calamari, etc, you can pretty much explore with impunity.

HAIL is your best friend to get around. Read help HAIL. If you're outside, you can hail a speeder to training facilities (hail gym), workshops to craft goods (hail workshop) and spaceports (hail spaceport). Also hotels to log out, hail hotel.

Flash newbie tips:
Try an easy going class at first, piloting or engineering would be my suggestion, you can make a combat focused character if you want, but you will grind your wheels in the mud a lot to get going. Similarly with slicers/smugglers/bountyhunters, the NPC trainers who teach you high level skills are guarded by players who want to control the flow of those types of characters, but everyone is happy to have another pilot or engineer around. Engineers make the best armor and weaponry in the game, after extensive training and studying. They also get to build ships and structures. Pilots can pilot capital ships to blow poo poo up (in 3 man teams).

Flying is FUN. Get to a spaceport pad, type TAXI to get a shuttle. OPEN {shipname} to open the hatch, ENTER {shipname} to enter, go to the cockpit, type PILOT and LAUNCH until it takes off. Once you're in space, play around with all the commands. STATUS, RADAR, SPEED {number}, CALC, COURSE, CALC LOCAL, etc. You can set hyperjumps to far away places and execute hyper space travel, land on planets, haul cargo, fight pirates, etc. All in a really well executed space system. If you become really good at space hijinks, you can disable other ships with EMP, board them, pirate them, raid them, whatever you like.

A smuggler class can steal a ship, a slicer can hack bank accounts belonging to players, or make security cameras to monitor rooms. All in all, the game is burgeoning with possible intrigue.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As someone who also plays Legends of the Jedi, and mostly plays combatants, I think that the idea that the "secrets" of combatants and bounty hunters being guarded by players who want to control some kind of flow is a little incorrect, and that's an understatement. Combat is really easy to get into, but expect to lose a character or two before you really get it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Well, I was mostly thinking of BHers, which I've tried and failed to get into several times, it felt very "cliquey".

A combat main is pretty straight forward, you're right, but trying to find high level skills for the shady classes is a pain, you can't just ask people flagrantly/oocly and expect to get anywhere, then again, you can always acquire datachips I guess.

Also the secret components of best armor/weapon recipes are things people tend not to talk openly about, or is it different these days? I have to admit I'm playing LOTJ again now after a long break.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I haven't had a lot of experience with the BHers beyond PKing them in droves when they clique up and become mercenaries for whatever clan their friends are in, so I think you have a point there.

As for finding the skills for the shady classes, I won't give too much away but there's only so many "shady planets" for you to go to so I'd recommend checking there. When it comes to engineering components I'm pretty dumb, but I think that's part of the fun of playing an engineer considering the rest of it is just botting all day.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't remember oWoD stuff in Rafermand (maybe it was after I left) but it does sound sort of like Rafermand, which was pretty cool, if a bit imbalanced at times.

I think it was Rafermand, it definitely rings a bell. Unfortunately, I've done some looking around and can't find it or any muds running that codebase anymore :( Alas... I definitely remember oWoD stuff in there (I have a distinct memory of messing around with a Gangrel and using Earth Meld to hide during attacks on my lone outpost), too. Man, I wish I could remember more about that.

Also, I realize this was much, much earlier in the thread but if anyone ever decides to screw around with the internal politics of Iron Realms' games (I've only played Achaea) I'd be totally down, especially if we caused the same kind of havoc we're causing over on Urban Dead.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I played Legends of the Jedi for a day or two once, wishing I could crew onto another players ship as muscle and just follow them around and beat things up for them, but I couldn't figure out how to make that happen so I just quit.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pieuvre posted:

I think it was Rafermand, it definitely rings a bell. Unfortunately, I've done some looking around and can't find it or any muds running that codebase anymore :( Alas... I definitely remember oWoD stuff in there (I have a distinct memory of messing around with a Gangrel and using Earth Meld to hide during attacks on my lone outpost), too. Man, I wish I could remember more about that.

You're talking about EmpireMUD, right? Where it was a big ASCII map and you could build your own city/town whatever?

Those MUDs are awesome, but alas they have a progression system that relies entirely on IMM rewards, which is an incredibly flawed system especially when such MUDs are prone to major inactivity.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

You're talking about EmpireMUD, right? Where it was a big ASCII map and you could build your own city/town whatever?

Those MUDs are awesome, but alas they have a progression system that relies entirely on IMM rewards, which is an incredibly flawed system especially when such MUDs are prone to major inactivity.

Yep, this is exactly it, cool beans. Thanks! I did find a MUD still running it (zeno.biyg.org 2560 for anyone interested). I made a character, tinkered around for a bit and then deleted because I realized I'd screwed up in character creation, but will recreate later. It's mostly dead as far as I can see - a fair number of people seem to be active, but I can't seem to tell when they were last active. It deletes empires that are idle for sixty days straight, which doesn't tell me much, and there's only one character on whose title is "AFK for the night," so... yeah... you're pretty right about the XP thing too. I'm still going to mess around with it, though.

If anyone's interested, I may - kinda far in the future, mind - put up the money to get some coding-minded goon to fix up the code, since a fair chunk of it seems incomplete - missing helpfiles, uncoded disciplines, et cetera - make it nice and pretty (and complete), and open it up for goons. I figure we could make a nice run of it. Is there a FAQ somewhere for would-be mud owners?

Also, I may join in on some Legends of the Jedi action too. If only I could play at work...

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Should I try legends of the jedi or Aardwolf? I used to play gemstone 6 and its other game, dragon something or other, a lot but they always seemed to come down to just typing the same poo poo to raise skills most of the time. Are these more engaging?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in RoD as Vikari, a Drow Vampire (I know, Drow are lame, but I wanted the dexterity bonus since it's the main stat of the class.) I hope I didn't screw up too bad on the stats.

If anyone's still playing this, toss me a message some time. I'm still level 2, in the halls, trying to learn all this stuff. I haven't messed around with a MUD since the mid-90s so the learning curve is going to be pretty much the same as starting from zero.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Quick question, out of curiosity. I played MUDs in the past with PK, and some sort of drawback from been killed (if I recall, you would loose all the experience of the current level, and all your gear could be picked up from your body). Generally, you would be killed, but your stuff was rarely stolen.

Having said that, I was curious about the perma death in this SW style MUD. Does it mean that once dead you would have to create a new char? Was there any special items that would make the experience a little less harsh?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Depends. Restores happen if there wasn't enough roleplay involved in your death. If you're just a low profile person, chances are you'll never be killed by another player. If you take it upon yourself to play politics, screw people over, or be an aggressive sort of person, you may end up justifiably dead.

Unless you have a clone, you're pretty much screwed. Getting a clone isn't too hard, but it's time consuming to die and jump back to your clone X days of progress ago. You also can't use any of your memory about the events to tell people IC'ly what happened so they can get revenge on you. For instance, if you just started a fight in a cantina and got your head pulled off by a wookiee, you wouldn't be able to ID or even know of the events that led to your demise unless there were witnesses.

More or less though, you're going to have to start a new character.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Man, it's weird how attached you get to the things you get used to. Single-permadeath just seems horrifyingly wrong to me (I know it works usually where it's used) but I have had a few people say how put-off they are by the fact that characters in my mud have a shelf life of about a year before they die of old age, which seems perfectly natural to me.

Just funny how these things are.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

neongrey posted:

Man, it's weird how attached you get to the things you get used to. Single-permadeath just seems horrifyingly wrong to me (I know it works usually where it's used) but I have had a few people say how put-off they are by the fact that characters in my mud have a shelf life of about a year before they die of old age, which seems perfectly natural to me.

Just funny how these things are.

I like all of the options based on the MUD. LOTJ is really easy to level up on, so single permdeath doesn't really bother me. Having played Avendar (I am Isenrode), the death system you guys have there is decent too, mostly because if you die and get full looted it doesn't ruin your character and you can recover relatively quickly if you have friends.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Been messing around on LotJ for the past day or two and am already around level 35 as an engineer. Haven't done too much roleplaying yet, though. :ohdear:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Learn how to make jewelry and find a good source of materials and all your dreams will come true.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I started running around as an engineer in LOTJ - I've sat around and researched for a while, now where do I get some materials? Do I have to buy them all, or can I actually go harvest?

Also drat I hate the diku style parser and world system:

"There is a flight recorder data laying on the ground."
"look flight"
"You see nothing unusual."

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Depends. Restores happen if there wasn't enough roleplay involved in your death. If you're just a low profile person, chances are you'll never be killed by another player. If you take it upon yourself to play politics, screw people over, or be an aggressive sort of person, you may end up justifiably dead.

Unless you have a clone, you're pretty much screwed. Getting a clone isn't too hard, but it's time consuming to die and jump back to your clone X days of progress ago. You also can't use any of your memory about the events to tell people IC'ly what happened so they can get revenge on you. For instance, if you just started a fight in a cantina and got your head pulled off by a wookiee, you wouldn't be able to ID or even know of the events that led to your demise unless there were witnesses.

More or less though, you're going to have to start a new character.

I'll be honest that I admire people who play in that environment and don't go nuts.

Standard modern PVP MMOs already bug the crap out of me, and the worst thing you have to do is endure a corpse walk, or, at the extreme end, a few minutes of corpse camping. I played WoW in PVP servers for nearly 2 years and several times almost punched my screen for getting raped by level capped people while I was leveling up. The usual gank is nothing that can't be managed, sometimes you even have a fighting chance, but insta-rapped is another ball park.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Rabbi posted:

5-10: Next up I go to Shattered Refuge for some gnome slaughtering. Grab a recall scroll (2s, 3w, n) before you go to save yourself the headache of running back. You might get attacked while traveling there by some goblins, but you can take them. With the buffs (sanc)tuary, (elem)ental supremacy, armor, shield, and lspells you can take out everything in the western gnome part of this area at 5 except the chief. The guards disarm you, so you might want to set up a trigger to "get [weapon] \ wield [weapon]" when you get disarmed. You won't have the exact text for this until you get disarmed once, but that's ok these guys aren't that bad. I clear through the guards then 'n' and kill all of the scientists then the receptionist. Keep one basket from the scientists (it's a good container), and collect all of the potions you get here (fizz/vial), they're healing potions. Once you've cleared everything, you should be able to use the potions you've gotten from the guards/assistants to kill the chief as long as you're still buffed. You'll probably have to run this area twice to get to 10. The electrum sword from the chief sells for about 93k coins if you take it to a shop or 33k if you take it to a Midas bot (whois kangree).

Great post here.

One thing, though - The obvious route to Shattered Refuge (through the Forest Path) is very long, where there is an 'invisible' shortcut that's much faster.

Go straight south from Darkhaven Square until you can go south no more. You'll run into a few goblins along the way, but they are super easy. From that point, go 1 west, 1 north, 1 west (this last step will not appear as an exit - it is hidden!). Someone showed me this shortcut and it's great for getting to the Refuge faster in order to save your buffs longer.

You'll appear at the point in the Refuge map toward the center, labeled as the Miden'nir entrance (the black forest you passed through to take this shortcut).

Thanks to Rabbi's awesome post and the help of a very nice person who helped me get a few good pieces of equipment, my vampire is now almost level 7. Since they allow you to manage multiple characters at once, I'm considering creating a warrior and cleric when I am a bit more competent at the game, and making a team that travel together. When I start this up I will post the results and any tips for anyone else who may be interested in trying this. I definitely wouldn't advise doing this through the java client on the site, however - use a client so you can have all the windows visible at any given time. Also note that you will be banned if you do this with any characters that are marked for PK. They must all be peaceful to multi-log.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 10, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

I like all of the options based on the MUD. LOTJ is really easy to level up on, so single permdeath doesn't really bother me. Having played Avendar (I am Isenrode), the death system you guys have there is decent too, mostly because if you die and get full looted it doesn't ruin your character and you can recover relatively quickly if you have friends.

Oh, yeah, it was as much a comment on how when I first saw that and thought 'Permadeath? Ewwwww' when I've heard as much 'Age-death? Ewwwww' when really it's just a stylistic thing.

We're working on making a heavy looting even more easily-recoverable-from, too, if you've taken a bit of prep time in advance. Ultimately we want people on their feet and kicking rear end again as soon as they want to be, rather than hampered by gear issues.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

gently caress the ROW posted:

I started running around as an engineer in LOTJ - I've sat around and researched for a while, now where do I get some materials? Do I have to buy them all, or can I actually go harvest?

Also drat I hate the diku style parser and world system:

"There is a flight recorder data laying on the ground."
"look flight"
"You see nothing unusual."

It's on the ground, you'd have to pick it up to get a better idea of what it is, and if its a datadisk, you'd have to load it into a datapad to read anything useful off of it.

You can't harvest much in LOTJ, there used to be some plans for a harvest system that was going to work in tandem with buildstructure for making buildings, but I don't think it ever went in, so you just buy all your parts from various NPC shops.

There are some things you can find, like crystals and ore spawned in certain locations, but again, for the most part you just buy and craft.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Having gone on DIKU, and knowing two of the persons behind DikuMUD, how could I not? I forget the names of the muds though (probably something with swords and dragons), as I quickly switched to MUSHes, which offered a better framework for RP. Spent a few years playing on Children of the Moon and even had a stint as the werewolf wizard for a bit there. Good fun, and certainly nothing I'm ashamed of.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hah, you've met some of the people who made DIKU? Which ones?

God I know the whole credits list by heart from how many hours I've frittered, login screens, how many incarnations and evolutions I've played.

HANS STAERFELDT
KATJA NYBOE
TOM MADSEN
SEBASTIEN HAMMER
MICHAEL SEIFERT

They're like ascendants or something.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Sheep posted:

So is this happening? Because this is pretty neat

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Hah, you've met some of the people who made DIKU? Which ones?

God I know the whole credits list by heart from how many hours I've frittered, login screens, how many incarnations and evolutions I've played.

HANS STAERFELDT
KATJA NYBOE
TOM MADSEN
SEBASTIEN HAMMER
MICHAEL SEIFERT

They're like ascendants or something.

I worked with Katja as a sysadmin for half a year, and I ran a Werewolf: the Forsaken campaign for about a year that Hans' wife took part in, so I met him a few times that way around. They are not exactly close friends, but I do bump into them now and again. They are cool guys, and as amazed as anyone that it became as popular as it did.

HAVOKBLUE
Jun 8, 2011
Anyone play IRE's Midkemia Online? It's based on some Raymond E. Feist books, except half the staff have never read them, and pretty much none of the players.

When I last played, it was still in "beta" so everything was half-finished, there was no RP, and everything was an OOC shitfest to see who could metagame harder. I can't even bring myself to check out the forums again to see if things improved, since the memories alone are worse than giving your own dick a papercut.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

HAVOKBLUE posted:

Anyone play IRE's Midkemia Online? It's based on some Raymond E. Feist books, except half the staff have never read them, and pretty much none of the players.

When I last played, it was still in "beta" so everything was half-finished, there was no RP, and everything was an OOC shitfest to see who could metagame harder. I can't even bring myself to check out the forums again to see if things improved, since the memories alone are worse than giving your own dick a papercut.

Midkemia Online somehow manages to be worse than Achaea. Avoid it like the plague. Lusternia is the only IRE mud I (personally) think is worth bothering with at the moment, though its still exactly the same hotbed of drama and wankery.

Can't wait until Tears of Polaris comes out (if ever), just because I'm looking forward to seeing their playerbase poo poo fantastically over what could be a great sci-fi mud. :smithicide:

HAVOKBLUE
Jun 8, 2011
Speaking of sci-fi MUDs... I played Atonement for about a week or so at launch, and it was pretty drat fun. I remember being up at like 2-3 AM while 10-15 of us swam through a crocodile infested pit of sewage and into some ancient ruins under the main city. If I remember right, members of our group kept disappearing as we were separated by things like rock slides and flashlights dying. There was also the rumor about the giant spider-octopus thing called the Vunderpus.

Just as we lost radio contact with the group leader, we found a ladder to the surface, with all sorts of crazy blood-writing around it. Fun stuff.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
I've always been curious about all the space combat systems in various text games.
How's the one in LOTJ? Starting as a pilot might be interesting but I have no idea which of the hundred races to pick.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GhostBoy posted:

I worked with Katja as a sysadmin for half a year, and I ran a Werewolf: the Forsaken campaign for about a year that Hans' wife took part in, so I met him a few times that way around. They are not exactly close friends, but I do bump into them now and again. They are cool guys, and as amazed as anyone that it became as popular as it did.

Anyone of them ever transfer it into the mainstream game industry, I checked moby games and noticed A Michael Seifert has some credits but no idea if it's the same one or not.

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011
Hey folks, I'm sort of occasionally involved in the Mudlet project. We're an open source, performance oriented client. We're doing our 2.0 final release tomorrow, but I'm actually posting for a different reason.

I know a few Goons play DR off and on and I'm in the process of building Simu support into mudlet. I've got the login system handled (you can just click "connect" and it'll beam you straight into DR or GS4 or whatever) but I'd like input on scripting needs, features that would be good for DR, etc.

So, that said, anyone here play DR with any regularity? Do you do much scripting? Would you like to?

Pastie example of the login process in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Anyone of them ever transfer it into the mainstream game industry, I checked moby games and noticed A Michael Seifert has some credits but no idea if it's the same one or not.

Not my knowledge, but I only know the two of them. Katja works as a programmer... somewhere (been a while since we talked last) and Hans is a project manager for scientific programming at a technical university.

• Locked thread